Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurmela

Dining room set

laurmela
15 years ago

Ok, so I finally found a dining room set, yeah! I ordered it last week, and we got the call that it is in! Here is a pic:

Now here is the dilema. I like the buffet that comes with it but I really wanted one with a hutch. Of course this manf doesn't have one. So I have been looking for a black buffet/hutch from other manf. I was afraid since it was different manf that I wouldn't be able to find one with the cherry that would match.

Here are a few choices.

{{!gwi}}

This one is by broyhill.

{{!gwi}}

I really like this one, but DH thinks it is too fancy.

{{!gwi}}

This one is just OK.

I have always wanted a hutch that I can display my pretties in. Now I can't decide which one I want.

What do you think?

Laura

Comments (19)

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I like the first one only. I think it will warm the entire set and be a lovely showcase for your "pretties". Good choice on the table and chairs!

• mpmg46
    15 years ago

Based upon your wants in a hutch (to display items), I would not go with the 3rd one, as it would not lend very willingly to displaying plates, etc, since it's intended more as a wine storage one. It's also a little too modern looking to go with your beautiful new table (which is great, btw).

I agree with your husband on the second--while it's pretty, it's very ornate, which may clash with your table.

So my vote would be for #1, but I'm not entirely sold on the finish...it's rougher than the smooth finish of your dining set. I will try to look and see if I can find any others for you.

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you all! I knew I could count on the great designers here to give me great feedback. I really like the looks of Sweeby's built in hutch in her kitchen. I will have to see if I can find a link to that.

OY, always some decision to make. I am ready for a vacation!

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is another one I found, the knobs can be changed out.

{{!gwi}}

I wish they had a better pic of it.

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I deleted the photo cause we went to look at it and it was cheap! It was an Ashley furniture piece and yuck!

So I am still looking. Crate & Barrel has a few, will have to get over to their store with furniture to check it out. Wish there was a coupon around.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I think it depends on what the rest of your furniture looks like that can be seen when in the room with your table and chairs. You don't want it to be something that will steal the thunder or something that is jarring.

Safe way is to go with what "matches" and then have someone build you a hutch (local cabinet maker) that will compliment what you have.

• estreya
    15 years ago

I agree with Mpmg46's observations. While it's kind of nice for things NOT to match, that one is almost too close of a match to look good not matching.

Does that make sense at all?

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I told DH today when we went to look at the 'cheap' hutch that maybe we need to go with something that looks like it was grandma's. We have furniture in the living room, dining room is attached, that is very old and we recovered. Not sure of the wood, but it isn't black! I am bringing more black into the room though, we are redoing the stairs, that overlook the room with wrought iron ballisters.

Why is it when you want something you can't find it! Always happens that way!

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is another one I found

I like it but it is real expensive. At least I would hope that meant it was built well!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Either go exact match or totally opposite, is a good rule of thumb in decorating. It is hard to get something to exactly match unless it was made to match or you are having it custom built, why I suggested you buy the short piece and have a cabinet with glass doors whose wood and doors matches yours. Matching, because they are made to match. Exact opposite might mean real wood color with ornate carvings but it would have to blend with your nearby household furnishings.

• ideamom
    15 years ago

What about getting one that has the same wood stain as the top of your table? Then it will still match without looking so matchy matchy.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I really like the first hutch.. it's interesting and looks like it could have been your grandmother's. Does it come in different finishes? As much as I like the distressed look, it probably isn't the best for your room (as you've described it).

There are a number of manufacturers that have MANY finish options to choose from. Perhaps you'd do better with them. I am all in love with Hickory White this week-- and they have loads of finishes to choose from. Drexel Heritage does also-- and they have a tool online to allow you to try different finishes and hardware on an image. Just use the "customize" link.

Another nice feature is that Drexel-Heritage includes the list price online-- so you know what ballpark you are in when shopping at midnight ;)

• susan209
    15 years ago

I think a lot depends on the styling of your house and furnishings, casual, then I think #1 would go nicely. I really do love the style of it.
    I'm in love with your table and chairs.

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The table and chairs are being delivered on Thursday, then I can get a better look at the finish of the top. I did order from a catalog, but the owner of the store said if I don't like it he will take it back! Crate & Barrel had a few interesting ones I will try to go look at this week.

• les917
    15 years ago

Not crazy about any of them, for the reasons already given.

Why not get the buffet that matches, and then bring in a separate curio-type cabinet to display things?

Or, instead of going black, look for a buffet and hutch in the cherry finish, perhaps with black iron hardware. It is very possible that the black finishes won't match when combining two mfg. The cherry piece would really compliment the cherry on the set, and not create the matching issue in the same way the black would.

The other issue that concerns me is judging by your picture, you didn't buy a table and chairs, but rather a counter-height table and stools - is that correct? If so, the proportion and height of the buffet and hutch may be an issue - you want them to work together, so that the height of the buffet isn't way lower than the table height.

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks les, I didn't think of that. Yes it is a counter height table and chairs. I will have to really look at the dimensions when looking for a hutch. I was thinking not to look for the cherry because I figured that wouldn't match, I guess I will wait till they arrive and go from there.

• cindyloowoo
    15 years ago

How about using the buffet that matches the table and installing floating shelves on the wall above the unit to display plates, etc.? PB has some shelves that may work. I would use cherry stained shelves, not black.

Here is a link that might be useful: PB shelves

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I agree cindyloowoo now that I realize it is more bar table than dining table. I was suggesting having a cabinet shop build a cabinet to set upon the matching piece of a cabinet on the wall but now that I realize (my stupidity) that it is a bar height table and for a casual look, I think the shelving would be more appropriate.

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is a bar height table, but we are going to use it as a dining table. I have a very tall family, both kids are tall and we really like the other counter height tables we have tried. I really wanted something with glass on the top to display my china and my grandmothers Jewel T.

I will keep on looking, shopping is always fun, right!