Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

Harvest Gold bathroom

equest17
14 years ago

I'm the "avocado green" bath girl, so I was asked to post some pictures of the 70's yellow/gold MBA. I decorated around the yellow shower stall in the downstairs three-quarter bath, but thought the master bath was a lost cause. We were going to replace the sinks and toilet and (maybe one day) have the tub/shower combo reglazed. But with all your encouragement and praise, I'm wondering now if they can be worked in.

Here's the bath before:

Here's the bath in progress:

The vanity, counter, and sinks are all still the same. The white wicker mirrors that were originally in the avocado green bath are now in here, because I took these wood framed ones and painted them black for the green guest bath.

Here's the MBR it coordinates with (I'll probably replace the chandi; that was another post):

Another angle:

My husband asked for blue in here, but he's very easy to please and would certainly be thrilled if I could work the decor around the yellow fixtures (since he's the one doing most of the heavy lifting if we have to replace them ;-).

This is the fabric I planned to use for valances in the MBR and shower curtain in the MBA. I like it, but it was cheap and can be used elsewhere if need be. I can buy wholesale from a fabric distributor, so I have access to lots of very inexpensive upholstery and drapery material. I would be open to looking for something else to incorporate the yellow or other new colors.

{{!gwi}}

So hit me with whatever ideas you've got! The bed and bath don't have to match, so I'm fine with repainting walls and/or trim (it's currently BM Mount Saint Anne and pre-mixed white). There is a huge his/her walk in closet in the bath (the two doorways on the far left of the second bath photo), and the toilet is in it's own alcove down at the end. The shower curtain will obscure the tub combo most of the time, so the sinks are the only yellow that really shows when you walk in the bath. The shower and toilet are a saturated, almost "daffodil" yellow; the sinks look a tad paler. On my paint deck, the closest match I found was SW Sequin on card #57, just below Convivial Yellow. It's certainly not exact, but would give you the right idea.

Comments (13)

• User
    14 years ago

Here's a snipping of Sherwin Williams Sequin from Colorcharts. I've forgotten about that wonderful site.
    {{!gwi}}
    According to what I can tell by my monitor it could work wonderfully with your fabric once you do your majic to the counters. In fact I'm thinking all t he colors in the plus an ivory could be your pallet for the faux granite. You certainly have the talent for adding just the right amount of each color. Shown in your avacado bathroom. Still so loving that.

• User
    14 years ago

Gosh, I'm sorry! I forgot to say thanks for posting this bath and your bedroom. They are both beautiful. That shade of blue is absolutely gorgeous in your bed and bath rooms. Love the dark brown drapes too.
    Oh and I have a bed almost exactly like that. I'm going to make a toddler day bed out of it. I'll probably us it as a bench until I have a granddaughter to use it though.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I love the fabric you picked out for the room. It has the Blue in it and a Golden color that would twin up with Harvest Gold if the sinks were Harvest Gold. From the photo the sinks look very Pale Yellow. You say the tub and shower are darker? The tub in the photo does look to be a darker Harvest Gold but maybe it is just the flash making the sinks brighter and the tub around the corner darker.

Yellow is such a difficult color to work with. I am sure you recall numerous posters wailing how they painted a room Yellow and "It looks soooo bright". Pairing Yellow with White amplifies the intesity too. Which brings my next question.....Are the walls tiled in vintage White tile in the bathroom? That will make it more difficult to make the Yellow look sophisticated with the Blue.

Your adjoining BR has a very sophisticated feel and I am sure you want that same feel for the bath. The colors in the fabric you chose are a nice combo and the Gold and Blue could really work. I'm not sure about those sinks being part of the formula. There may have to be a funeral.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

I totally agree with Dilly on all points. You have such a wonderful look going, I think you need to stay on that path. It's gorgeous! The sinks just don't work with the look and any attempt to make them work will compromise the great progress you have made. IMO you more than earned the right to ditch these sinks by saving the avocado ones.

I love the Mount Saint Anne color-- it's one I have been keeping in mind for my DR or BR. Love it!

• lilbit77
    14 years ago

whe i scrolled down to the after, all i could say was WOW!!!that blue just took my breath away it is beyond BEAUTIFUL!!!

• equest17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Justgotabme, how will you make a toddler bed from the antique bed? Mine is a full size, which is fine for us now, but we've talked about getting a queen at some point. We're both thin and fit fine width-wise, but my husband is tall and I think he would appreciate the extra length. I'd hate to get rid of this bed, though. So if there is some way to adapt the bed for another use, I'd be very interested.

Dilly, yes, this yellow seems very difficult to work with. I think the fixtures are all the same tone, the sinks just seem as if they have faded a bit, if that's possible. I'll try to take a picture of the fabric and paints samples next to the sink later if I have a chance.

Funkyart, thanks for the approval to get rid of the yellow if it doesn't work! I like the safari theme I did in the three-quarter bath to work in the yellow-gold shower, but I wanted something different in the master suite area. If we had been on a really tight budget, I think I could have designed a scheme around them, too, and been happy. But I like where the MBR/MBA are going right now. And Mount Saint Anne is just a wonderful color. I normally like warm colors, but for a cool tone this one is a very good choice.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"IMO you more than earned the right to ditch these sinks by saving the avocado ones."

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. This isn't a mindless gut and redo. There was thought put into it. The Sunlight Yellow (That is the name Kohler give it.) just won't do. The Avacado bathorom looks timeless with it's new look.

"Old Yellow" will have to be "put down".

With the Yellow sink you are probably going to want to get a new faucet anyway. Those single handle ones eventually leak and they never work right in the first place - always too hot or too cold and even if you get it 'just right' they go and change on you the next time you put your hand under the water. Faucets with separate hot and cold handles seem more user friendly. Soooo, along with the new faucet that is going to be purchased anyway get a nice Bisque sink. Then do your faux magic with the Formica.

You say the tub and toilet are rather hidden and also that they are a darker deeper color. I think they can work with the fabric you selected and the work you have already done on the room.

I can't wait to see it. I love seeing creative budget makeovers and your Avacado bathroom was one of the nicest I've seen. Please do keep us posted on the update to the Yellow room.

• robin_g
    14 years ago

Cout me in for loving the blue in the bedroom and bath-in-proress. And I'd keep the chandy--it' gorgeous, unique, sophisticated...

And yes, sinks are cheap, but as we found when redoing a bath in an older home, the fittings can be corroded so you need to replace those, and those pipes...and.. Good luck!

• User
    14 years ago

equest, my idea is just in theory since I've not done it yet. According to full size headboard sizes and crib mattress size it should work. The full size headboard would become the back of the toddler day bed and the full size footboard would become the sides. The rest would have to be built to fit.

Forgot to mention I love the light fixture. Looks old with newer globes. It is a bit "tall" for not being over the bed. Have you thought about adding a small sitting area at the foot of your bed? Two small upholstered chairs and a small, possibly pedestal, table between them. Great place to put on shoes or just sit and talk with hubby.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

You have a wonderful start on the bathroom, I love the walls. I can't wait to see the finished bathroom. The blue and brown fabric is very pretty.

Dilly dally, I love my single handle faucets. I think they are VERY user friendly. I used to have ones like equest17 has now and when we updated them both my husband and I wanted to keep single handle ones. They are very easy to get just right and never leak. Maybe your experiences were with poorly designed ones.

• equest17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dilly, Sunlight Yellow seems like a very probable name for what I have. Not bad per se, but tricky to work around. I wonder what original bath schemes it fit with? Mine has paneling below the chair rail (no tile anywhere), so I caulked the seams and painted it white. Do you think a softer neutral shade on the walls would work better than stark white? I know you mentioned the bisque sink.

The faucets definitely need replacing; they are extremely hard to pull up to get the water on. I do like that just one handle is needed to get the water temp and flow just right. I like the look of two handles, but single seemed more practical, like happyladi said. It sounds like you've found them (even new ones) to be less reliable?

Justgotabme, I like your idea. I think I've seen a display in an antique store very similar to show the bed set up but not take up much room. Did you mean to say use the footboard as the front of the crib instead of the sides? The bed I saw basically had custom made very short rails connecting the head and foot boards, so I can see how that would look like a toddler daybed. But if you have a different plan for the footboard as the sides, maybe I'm not picturing the right thing.

Thanks for the chandi complements. I hung it a few months ago, after buying it off eBay. I really like the smoked glass column, but a few posters commented that it looked too sterile, like something for a breakfast nook not a bedroom. It's a bit low hanging, as justgotebme mentioned, but I have a tufted bench at the foot of the bed that it hangs above, so it's not really over the walkway. I'm just not sure about the overall look, so I'm considering changing the glass shades to soften it a bit.

• User
    14 years ago

Nope, the foot of the bed would be cut in half to make sides giving it a daybed look. Here's a picture of a bed like yours made into a bench that gave me the idea of making it into a daybed instead. A friend on an old MSN board did this one. There would be a little left from the middle of the footboard when making it into a bench.
    {{!gwi}}

• equest17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What a great idea! I love that look. I'm so glad you commented on my bed, as I've never seen this redesign of an antique bed before. I can see exactly what you mean about being a beautiful toddler daybed. I'll certainly keep this idea in mind, as we hope to have kids someday.