Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariposatraicionera

Benjamin Moore paint question

I am looking at a few "gray" colours by BM and would like to know if anyone has used them, and if they were true to the sample chart.

Titanium 2141-60

Vanilla Milkshake 2141-70

Edgecomb Gray HC-173

Revere Pewter HC-172

Comments (63)

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I am not pleased with Edgecomb gray all that much. I am leaving it in the bathroom for now, but our smaller powder room and family room need painting so I brought home a few of those sample cards. Want to narrow down a little before buying sample paints (quarts). They don't have the tiny ones. I got White Wisp (looks super white in the bathroom), Horizon gray (looks too green), white ice (kind of too white)!

I want something that is not too blue or green, but crisp with a little colour. Probably not helping much, am I?

The vanity top is black/gray/charcoal with maple in a light stain, sink and toilet white, and some modern door pulls. I want a modern, sleek look. Also bought Ginger lights and mirror (Surface) which is pretty modern looking.

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Have you looked at BM Graytint?

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jersey, No I haven't! They keep showing me more yellow grays or green grays which I don't like. Will ask for that one.

Thanks.

• mommacass
    15 years ago

Did you buy the new "O at Home" that Magnaverde is in? On page 114-115 it has Thom Filicia's (Queer Eye/Straight Guy) favorite Ben Moore Neutrals. The grays listed are Stonington Gray, Thundercloud Gray, Sweatshirt Gray and Trout Gray (very dark). You might check out those. Good Luck!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

FWIW Edgecomb Gray is a creamy color. I don't see any gray at all. The exterior of my home is painted EG.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

I just sampled a bunch of BM grays for our kitchen. We live in So. Cal. and have a very lush green yard, which may affect my perception of the colors. Here are the ones I sampled:

Whisper violet -- turns a very pale bluish color. Pretty but not a true gray

Coventry gray -- I think this was the truest gray I tried. Pale and very pretty. If you're looking for a true gray, this would be my choice. My fam nixed it because they liked the blue-grays better.

Feather gray -- a pale gray-blue. Gorgeous color.

Timber wold -- also a true gray, slightly ddarker than coventry gray. Very nice

Wolf gray -- really dark true gray. Could read nearly black in certain settings.

Pigeon Gray -- the color we chose is a medium toned gray-blue.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mommacass, I will check out "O at home." Thanks for the suggestions.

Sarschlos, thanks so much for your list and description of colours. It was very helpful.

I will go back tomorrow and look for these specific colours and see what I think before buying samples.

I really don't like EG! They insisted it had a gray base but looks so yellow.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Brutuses,
    I also love those sconces! I think this is what I need for areas of my home office that get no light. Does the light go upward? What size bulb does each sconce take? They are so perfect for your room, along with that gorgeous chandelier. I replaced my three torchiere lamps in my office with two touchiere lamps that give off 500 watts of compact fluorescent day light lighting and the room is bright now and nice except for one side that I have no lamp and it needs light.

I love the BM Gray Cashmere so much. It looks like it has a pretty green cast or is it my monitor? It looks perfect in your room. I also love your crown molding.

I found a tile guy to do my tiles who also will install my engineered hardwood floor. I am leaning towards Santos Mahogany or Brazilian Cherry. I loved the Makor but it only looks good in my family room since I need more red in my home office.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Grey Cashmere looks bluish on my screen! But does look lovely in your room.

• marni74d
    15 years ago

BM Feather Gray is one of Pottery Barn's 2008 colors. They've used it thru-out their latest catalogs. I'm thinking about using it in my living room. Currently i have BM Baltic Gray in my kitchen (looks great w/stainless steel appliances) and BM Light Pewter (a beautiful soft powder gray) in the hallway. Since you can see all three areas from the front door, Im hoping the BM Feather Gray will match monochromatically with the other grays. HTH

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

I have Revere Pewter in my dining room and Revere Pewter in my den at half strength...I repainted both rooms with it after being disappoited by other colors...I happened to meet a designer in the Ben Moore store and she said she loves it and uses all the time....

How do you guys post pictures? I can show it to you!

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

ok..let's see if this works....Revere Pewter at 100%

Here is a link that might be useful: revpew

• budge1
    15 years ago

moremoremore, I LOVE your room. I think I will run right out and buy a gallon of that colour even though I have nothing to paint. Your rooms look like something out of an RH catalogue only better - and that's with all your stuff in boxes!

Any chance you'll start a thread and post more pix of your place? It would give you a chance to practice those picture posting skills you've just acquired ;-)

• daisy735
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Lurking here and have to jump in. JUST painted my room with Feather Gray (not even back together yet) and it is BLUE. Please buy a tester so you won't be surprised. I had to check my paint with the color strip-I couldn't believe it was the same color paint-it is. I like it but I loved more of a gray color.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Canadian House and Home just revealed their new dream home and the inside is all painted in various shades of gray. Beautiful, very soft. The colors they used are BM OC 27 Balboa Mist, BM OC 25 Cloud Cover, BM HC 167 Amherst Gray and BM OC 28 Collingwood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oakville

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

Budgel! You're SO sweet...that was actually 2 days after we moved in....the front door wasn't even painted...Thanks so much! I still don't even know how to post the pictures LOL....Everyone else has them show up on this page...but I'll put some more on Flickr for ya! You're too kind, really....

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

Budgel..here are some more..hopefully...hope you're not disappointed now :) I think the privacy setting might be on if you can't see them..let me know and I'll change them....there are a lot of dups....the few pix I have....we've only been here for a few months so it's still very much a work in progress!

Here is a link that might be useful: pix

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Daisy, the blue would drive me crazy! It looks very nice but if that is not what you were expecting, I can certainly understand the disappointment. Geez, I will definitely need to buy samples because blue is not what I want.

I need a "hint" of colour but in the grey family.

• budge1
    15 years ago

Sorry we've hijacked here Mari. moremoremore, I can only see the revere and a few bathroom pix. You really should start a new thread and show everyone. Maybe if things are too crazy now with moving you could do it in the future. I know I'm not the only one who would be interested.

Mari, I really would check out the BM Moonshine. It's very grey, but does seem to have a bit of pop to it.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

Yes...sorry :( ..I'm such a hijacker! :) BTW I had the privacy settings wrong budgel..I've changed them..ok...if someone can tell me how to be able to get photos to actually show up and not be just links, I'll post them somewhere budgel!

As for the gray....I'm still not sure what undertone you want Mari....

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

ok..maybe this will work...finally, Mari....Revere Pewter...it might be a tad too beige for you since I think you want more of a true gray? Go o a different Ben Moore store and tell them exactly what the issue us...,they are amazing at making the right color choices...and mixing custom colors on little cars so you don't have to pay for the quart!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

OK Mari. Last time..I swear :) You're probably so sick of me trying to post links, but I was determined to post a pic of Revere Pewter...might be too beige for you...so, in Budgel's honor....

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don't worry about hijacking. I really don't mind. The more greys, the merrier. In fact, any whites that are not awful whites would be appreciated. I have a grey called Gray Owl and it looks green! Good heavens, how hard is it to get a "cool" kind of grey without being dull and grey-grey :-(

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

OK...so you want a true true gray? I say the easiest thing is to go to a Ben Moore place and make friends....they are SOOO good....I did find a really nice gray for my bathroom project..I'll look for the swatch...the Revere Pewter will not be pure gray enough for you...so don't waste your time or money..

As for the white, save yourself the hell I went through. Get Ben Moore White. That's it. Just white. Not shocking white, not off white, not warm or cool white...Just white. great color!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's called White?

I have been to several buildings in town and have seen really nice "light" grey that looks like a hint of colour, but is neither grey-grey nor white. No one can tell me what it is though, LOL

Thanks. I've been looking at the yellows and desert tan in my other rooms and hate it! I really am sick of yellows and anything that reminds me of yellow.

• grannysmith18
    15 years ago

A number of people in my family have used Ben Moore Balboa Mist. Everyone likes it. It looks like a taupe-y gray, and goes with everything.

• Molly Brown
    15 years ago

I don't know anything about any grays, but YOWZA, what a screen name you have Mari!!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been really busy but managed to go by and pick out some more "ideas" for greys. I was going to jump right in and buy a few quarts of each but was advised to look at the chips first and then come back when I eliminated a few of them.

The ones that caught my attention:

Horizon*
    Paper white*
    Alaskan husky
    Sterling
    Wickham gray

Not too sure about Pratt & Lambert's Manchester.

The ones with an asterisk are the colours I might go with. They're light yet there is some colour.

If anyone has used the ones I just listed, give me some feedback please.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

moremoremore,
    what color did you do your trim and ceiling with the revere pewter?

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Mariposa, take a look at sarschlos_remodeler's threads. She's found this wonderful light BM gray, called Litchfield Gray -- taupe in some lights, grey in others. I'm very taken by it. Wish we had a local BM dealer -- the closest one is an hour away!

• crescent50
    15 years ago

Did you try pismo dunes?

moremoremore- thanks for the additional pictures= your home and colors are gorgeous. Sorry to hijack but I would love it if you could post some details about your kitchen when you have time- cabinets, granite, backsplash, etc.. Thanks so much.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

mari....did you find your color? Now I"M looking for an almost white but slightly gray color for my bathroom! Keep me posted!

Plucky- I just did Ben Moore "White"....I was going NUTSO looking at whites and was just like..whatever...it's white LOL...It's a very nice white. It's just that...white. Doesn't scream out cold white...but it is a pure white!

Thanks cresent! You flatter me...I'll see about posting...but it pales in comparison to a lot of these other kitchens...in short, cabinets were just kraftmaid vanilla Bean Glaze in Chamberlain style...countertop is Zodiaq in Emperador something or other dark brown LOL...and the backsplash is just a linen looking tile I found at a local place for like $8 a sq foot..it was square and they cut it to subway!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

moremoremore, take a look at BM lily white and misty gray and distant gray. These are grayed whites that are quite pretty. Distant gray is the whitest among these three.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Moremore, I kind of gave up looking after I tried Horizon (absolutely don't like this colour, it looks SO blue), and Pratt & Lambert's Manchester. Both of those colours don't do it for me...sigh.

I'm getting so tired I'd almost switch to white!

Anyway, here are a few that I may get samples on. The swatch looks really light, yet there is that grey colour...ever so light.

Genesis white
    White diamond
    Chantilly lace looks almost white. Good luck! I need some too.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Moremore, have you found anything yet? I never did make it to the paint store, but this week I will definitely do so.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yooowhooo.... Moremore are you still looking?

I picked Iced Cube Silver & White diamond. Will tell you what I think of them.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

Well, I actually did go with Ben Moore Silver Satin in my "cheapest bathroom makeover project" for an inlaw visit....(goodbye rose wallpaper and oak cabinets..the existing countertop is a yellow-beige...ugh...and the floors an almost white) It's a really really light off white with gray...BUT in my bathroom, the exposure and lighting made it match the primer (really white)..It was the first color on the card...so I then went down on the card to the darkest color (Cotswold?) for the walls in back of the toilet and opposite the vanity bc I didn't have the energy to re paint it all....lord, I forget the name...and even had them darken it by half just because of the lighting in the bathroom....I REALLY love the color...Go check out Silver Satin and the colors on the card....I'm not sure this will help bc it's so hard to capture in the picture....straight ahead is the silver satin....It looks more gray in another room....I'm going to use it again...

But I'm still a little unclear...do you want an offwhite with a little gray or do you want a really gray color?

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

OH!!! I DIDN"T READ THAT YOU PICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, please do let me know since I have more rooms to paint!

• amy_in_nc
    15 years ago

Mariposatraicionera, can you give us an update on the BM white diamond and iced cube silver? I am considering white diamond in my living room and would love to hear what you thought of it.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Horizon does look really blue. I like it in ds's room with blue carpet, but I don't like it in my room at all with green carpet. Not sure DH will let me repaint now - we've spent so much on repainting other rooms after fixing cracks/nail pops. BM Light Pewter is nice - I have an accent stripe of that in kids' bath, doesn't look blue at all even next to White Satin (light blue) and Summer (dark blue).

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Moremoremore - what color did you paint the cabinetry in your bathroom above? I have leftover deep chocolate black paint (BM Bittersweet Chocolate) that I'm considering painting my powder room oak cabinets. My marble vanity top looks identical to yours. THanks!

• billwags325
    15 years ago

bump

• Bunny
    14 years ago

It's funny that so many folks see Edgecomb Gray and go "yellowy." I'd been considering Shaker Beige, but it didn't look right. Wanted something less brown, grayer. Next to it, Edgecomb Gray looks a LOT grayer to me. It all depends what you're looking for.

• susaneb
    14 years ago

check this link out Gray paint: Designers' favorite colors - http://www.flickr.com/photos/8230585@N06/3352738662/

Here is a link that might be useful: Gray paint: Designers' favorite colors

• redbazel
    13 years ago

Has anyone painted Pratt & Lambert's Feather Gray? To me, the chip for that and my painted sample of Revere Pewter look much the same.

Red

• redbazel
    13 years ago

Well, I bought a quart of Revere Pewter, and one of Gossamer by Pratt & Lambert...just a tad deeper than the Feather Gray, as well as a test quart of Sherwin Wms Requisite Gray--the pretty one from Ttodd's old bedroom pictures.
    They are all so close. Seriously close. The Requisite Gray has the same depth as Revere Pewter, just maybe one slight tad more gray. The Gossamer is almost a match for Revere Pewter.
    So, now I've determined that what I need is something just a little warmer, and perhaps a shade darker. If you saw my living room right now, you wouldn't even know what to think. I've splotched a dozen things. All walls are painted. Just not the same!!

Red

• kimbama_comcast_Net
    12 years ago

I've seen Horizon Grey painted all over an open concept home and depending on the light is a crisp neutral sometimes leaning toward cool light khaki. Loved it and am considering the same for my home.

• tennissister
    8 years ago

I too am going nuts with grays for our small Master Bath - I'm thinking of BM Gray Cloud - has anyone tried it?

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

start a new thread

• d h
    last year

Looking for a light gray to put on kitchen cabinets with white gray blue a veiny quartz. Revere Pewter is being considered. sny thoughts ? floor is medium wood not quite golden but close. Do hou ghinknit eill look too brown. i like itvyo look silvery.

d