Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintedpeggies

Well, I bought the dining set

I had posted last week about a CL Pottery Barn set that I wanted. I hemmed and hawed and well, we got it. And I love it! It does have that distressed look to it, but I think that makes it prettier.

I was so tired of my old knotty pine stuff, and the wall of 'tan' on the living room side of my living/dining combo. I moved my entryway table into the room also.

I really like that the table is a bit smaller and works better in the combined space, which is always such a challenge to configure!

BUT...now I have my hutch to deal with.

My options:
1. Paint it...but will that be too much black on that side of the room?
2. remove the top and just use the sideboard of it?
3. Get something altogether different?
I have seen photos on Pinterest of a sideboard in an alcove like mine, with paintings hanging above.
I do love my hutch and like the storage it provides.

A secret: the top holds china and crystal, and the bottom holds school supplies and art projects for my three kids ;)

Anyway, the old table:

the new set:

sorry about the mess in the background...we are getting ready for back to school!

This post was edited by PAINTEDPEGGIES on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 11:05

Comments (11)

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

Wow, big difference, love it!

Really don't know about your china cabinet, would be tempted to remove the top; do you have other available room for your china? Also don't know if that would look like just too much "flat" in your dining room, but maybe a nice picture and a few somewhat tall objects on top.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

That looks great! Glad it worked out. You don't show your whole hutch, but I think it looks fine, as is. The color coordinates with the floors and the rush seats, the other black table brings some balance. Not sure how it would look, but I might just try some black cabinet pulls on it. Or maybe paint/paper the back of the shelves black....If not, I think I'd leave it as is.

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a better pic of the hutch. I will definitely need new knobs at the very least. I also like the idea of papering or painting the back of the shelves...

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I love the mixture of wood stains. I would leave the hutch in the room and decorate it with black objects similar to this combination:

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I like it as is, also, but I think adding black pulls is a great idea.

If you feel that you *must* paint it, how about a medium blue or blue/black combo that plays off your walls?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the hutch and how it picks up the chair seats. Black is my accent color but I use it sparingly. I would pull back on the black a little--for instance, the hanging over the doorway and the tabletop items. But I feel the window area needs a touch of black, maybe in new black and tan drapes or by getting a beefier black curtain rod.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

The new set really makes the paint come alive and your black accents POP! No way could I give up any part of your china cabinet. You added a "side board" ( great idea) so you can keep the height of the China cabinet. The ideas here are worth a shot, one at a time until you find the right "fix".

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I love it! I was hoping you would get it. The room looked washed out with the other set. The new set changes the whole room. I personally like the hutch as is. I think it makes the dining set pop more. Changing the knobs to a dark color would look great.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I love that Hutch! I would leave it as is the colors look great together. Adding new pulls and knobs can update things, I think the cup style pulls would look good on it.
    Great job on the purchase!

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Looks great. I think the entire hutch in black would be too much black. Perhaps painting just the countertop portion of the hutch black and adding black hardware would be tie it in a little more with the tables and chairs.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Olychick said the exact thing I was thinking.
    maybe add a larged light wood framed art over the sofa table for balance.