Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Yes, paint color help...lots of pics

This is a small sitting room (napping room) off of our great room which is a light gray green. The yellow ocher kitchen/dining room is also adjacent. It has a sofa and rolltop desk, which is usually open and very messy.

The dogs and I sit on the sofa all the time.

I had a blue sofa in here until a few days ago but now have a white one with new pillows from Pottery Barn. I will have to keep a throw of some kind on it to keep it clean from blue jeans and muddy paws.

The white sofa looks brand new but is older and from our downstairs living room where Dad lives. It's a Wesley Hall and I wanted a change after ten years and seeing all those white sofas in PB.... Dh liked the blue sofa better, dadgum!

Ok, so what color to paint the walls? Apple Green? Light taupe beige? I may add a rug and may do something different with the velvet drapes.

The door next to the sofa is a closet and the back of the built in entertainment center on the other side of the wall.

Comments (8)

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

Lovely little rooms and your furniture is nice as well.

I would go with something more neutral than apple green, but I do think you might want something darker to contrast a bit with the sofa.

I would probably do a slightly greyer version of the colour in your great room. I'm thinking of something in the same tones only beige-er instead of greener. Does that make sense? I've got a very similar grey green on our kitchen and the adjoining room is a darker and browner version. I think that will make you wood desk look richer and the blue drapes should look nice with it as well.

Having said that, I would decide on a throw and drapes first, just cause it's so much easier to choose paint that compliments them, than the other way 'round.

Just a thought on the drapes, have you considered raising the rod and adding rings? I know this forum is split on whether rods should be high or low, but I love the look of a rod near the ceiling - just a personal thing. It looks fine both ways.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I don't use the combo (because I don't like blue) but I really like the way that blue and khaki browns look together. I would do a brown inspired by your artwork. In the first painting (hydrangeas?) it looks like there's a brownish color on the white blossoms. And it looks like the same color might be present in the painting above the mica lamp (ducks? Can't tell what the subject is). If indeed there is a similar brown color in the two, I would use a shade darker of it. I think it will be a great neutral canvas for your artwork, help the sofa pop, and really play nicely with the drapes.

I think it will also contrast nicely with your wood floors.

I think if you go COLOR on the walls, it's going to be a bot of sensory overload.

A khaki-ish wall will also play nicely with the amber glow from the mica lamp (I use mica lamps in my great room and love what they do with my camel-ish walls).

• loribee
    13 years ago

Pretty room...
    I'd play off the yellow ocher kitchen/dining room & use a coordinating soft gold paint.

• erinra
    13 years ago

Lovely room! A dark beige or grey pastel color would be nice in this kind of room, it is easy on the eye and looks fine.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. It helps reaffirm what I am leaning towards and gives me direction. And I have nixed apple green.

Also, I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this but my Dad, who lives with us was sick yesterday and ended up after a long day in the ccu. So my participation on this thread will be sporadic. I appreciate all the advice and nice words.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, the drapes are going to stay, at least for a while, maybe long while, but the throw on the sofa...I could do anything as long as it's washable.
    Any ideas color wise if I did a taupe on the walls?

• les917
    13 years ago

I would do a coral color. Pretty with the couch and would work with the new pillows and even the blue drapery, as well as the crisp white trim.

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he recovers quickly.

I meant to say in my previous post that the room looks lovely as is - a stronger colour will look lovely, but it is far from bad right now.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator