Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina_ellen

Color help please, can't decide!

katrina_ellen
9 years ago

I would like to paint my bedroom but I think I am stuck in a rut, the rest of my small house is in neutrals, tans, off whites and olive type greens. In my very small bedroom, 11'5" x 11'5", I currently have BM soft fern, which is a lovely soft green, although in my lighting it somehow turns a minty color. I have a window facing west, but it faces the street, so most of the time I have the north facing window opened. One thing I don't want to change are my curtains, which are a warmer light sage color. My carpet is a beige with that looks very neutral, but I am planning on replacing it, but it would be with other light colored carpet to go with the rest of the house, which is beige with a slightly yellow, grey undertone. My bed is off white and nightstand is white, and I am planning on getting another white nightstand to go with it. I also have a desk in the room which is white. My dresser is a medium to darker wood. The style is feminine, the headboard and footboard are curved. I can't remove the footboard, it needs rails, and its higher up so I can use under the bed for some storage. I don't have the ability to post a picture at this time but could do it at work, but right now the room is tore apart, I am painting the trim. I tend to like warmer colors which is why I chose the soft fern, but my light seems to make it cooler. I had considered BM lewiville green, which I tried a sample of and it stays warm throughout the day, but for some reason I am just not excited about it - probably because all I have are neutrals and greens everywhere. Just wondering if you have any ideas for a room with white furniture, where it won't just look blah. I would be open to any suggestions, as long as they go with my sage green curtains. I just can't decide for some reason, I feel like I am in a color rut and don't even know what I like, I just want the room to feel cozy and inviting. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (14)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Go bold for a darker room. BM Mystic Gold.

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Another gold suggestion - Sherwin Williams compatible cream

• katrina_ellen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, gold is something I never thought about. I think my style leans towards cottage, only because its what I bought previously for my old house and what I liked at the time. I think with such a small space I would rather go streamlined with clean lines, but I am making do with what I have. Anyways, I guess I think of gold as for a more oppulent look, but I am going to take a look at the paint store - its a SW store, but they have a BM paint color cards, and I can always have their samples mixed. What do you think of gold with a cottage type look? I know its hard with no pictures, but when I get my room put together I could probably post a pic - compared to the homes I see on this site my whole house would fit in someones living room, and I am hesitant to post but I do think it would help to see what I am working with.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

If you are going for gold SW Blonde is my favorite. My favorite bedroom color is SW Rainwashed (grayish aqua) and I also love Hearts of Palm (pale yellowish green).

• katrina_ellen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks louislinus. I had Blonde in my kitchen at one time and it went peachy on me, which bothered me. I must have some kind of aversion to color because you describe Hearts of Palm as pale and to me it is bright. Thats part of the problem, colors that don't look bright to someone else look bright to me. I also feel somewhat claustrophobic with dark colors - anything stronger than a midtone, don't know why. And then of course I feel like I don't have enough color in my choices! I do like blue-greens so I will take a look at the Rainwashed as well. Going to the paint store in a while.

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

I painted Hearts of Palm in one bedroom that had a low-light situation and it really isn't bright, but it would likely look horrid with your light sage curtains that you want to use.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Below the "best" yellow interior paints. I'd also consider a paler yellow.
    I think yellow works very well with white for a cottagey bedroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellows

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree w/nsm - a pale yellow if you're going for a buttery look and have sage green curtains. Not sure, though, how a beige carpet would look w/yellow, though.

• katrina_ellen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to the SW store and got the paint chips for the colors listed above, although nosoccermom posted after I came back - out of all of them the Hearts of Palm looked best - my curtains have a butter yellow thread in them so I think the yellows would work very well also. Thanks nosoccer for posting that link, I have always liked yellow, its so cheery. Looks like another trip to the paint store. Not sure about the beige carpet either but I will check it out. It really helps to have these suggestions, its getting me out of my rut. Thanks all.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

My favorite buttery yellow is BM Philadelphia Cream.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Maybe some design seeds will help? These all have a sage color in them to pick up on your drapes. Or better yet, look for artwork that you like and pull the colors from there....

• Gracie
    9 years ago

A lot is riding on those sage curtains, but lavender might work if they are not too dark. My guest bedroom is painted very close to the lavender in Annie's fifth Design Seeds. It is definitely feminine. The comforter is white with a lavender and sage green print. The lavender also looks great with my beige carpet. I would be afraid of putting yellow walls with a beige carpet since beige has weird undertones. Medium to dark paint is easier with beige. The lavender also looks good with my wood furniture. I need a new comforter and was thinking of painting the walls a light green or blue, but maybe I've convinced myself to stick with lavender!

I also like the last color in the first Design Seeds.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 12:19

• katrina_ellen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A huge THANK YOU for all who posted. It helped me more than you know, I really appreciate the help. I thought about the yellow with the beige as well and I know yellow makes beige look dirty unless its a super light beige. I thought the Hearts of Palm was just what I needed, its a feel good color, and I realize I have that color in accents in other places, and it really coordinates well with the rest of my house. I would have ruled it out on my own as being too bright but once I did a large sample on the wall I loved it. I wanted my bedroom to be cozy and happy looking and I think it will do very well and looks great with white. So thanks again, maybe I will get up the nerve to post once I am done, although I have some things to be done before I paint. But just wanted to make sure I let everyone know how much it helped me.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Yay! So glad you liked it. Please post a pic when you're done.

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company