Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Queen Anne Furniture in a Craftsman Home?

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 10:22

I just bought a kind of amazing Craftsman home. Amazing because it is truly a time warp with little to no updating since it was built in 1915. Yes, lots of work to do in some areas, but the incredible box beams, woodwork, floors, built ins, etc. give the place really solid "bones." The dark oak woodwork has the original stain--never painted. There are even the original stained birch cabinets in the kitchen which could probably be refinished.

Anyway, I'm not in the house yet (close later this month) so can't send photos. But I'm already wondering about my furniture. I love Craftsman style homes but don't really want to do the matchy-matchy thing with Craftsman furniture. Much of what I have right now are good quality oak antiques in a Queen Anne style--curved legs, paw feet, etc. I guess my general question is, is it going to look really strange in a Mission style home? Or, how can "pretty up" with a more feminine touch in my furnishings and style the heavy "masculine" look of the Mission architecture?

Hope this makes sense. Can't find any photos on the internet that help--all seem to show Craftsman homes with strictly mission furniture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Queen Anne Furniture in a Craftsman Home?

I think your Queen Anne furniture would work very nicely in your home. I owned an historic house once. My architect, who was very savvy about restoration, taught me that if you are trying to maintain an historic perspective in your home, it is always acceptable to use furniture from an earlier period. The reasoning is that the people who would have owned and built the home would have already had furniture or perhaps would have inherited furniture, etc.

Can't wait to see pix of the new house!

o

bbstx, that makes excellent sense. Just wish I could find a photo to give me inspiration. Every photo of a craftsman home on the internet appears to have the obligatory Stickley style of furniture throughout.

Not only do I like my Queen Anne stuff, there will be no way I can afford to change out furniture for at least some years given the other things that need doing!

o

PICS!!! We want PICS!!!

Very few people could afford to buy everything in their house at once, except the really rich, and they had decorators scouring Europe for antiques or went 100% current style.

The all-Craftsman houses tend to be the big, name-designer houses (Greene and Greene?) that were furnished to match the house, with furniture selected by or designed by the architects.

So the typical 1915 Craftsman house would have furnishings from previous homes, and acquire some from later periods as things wore out or finances allowed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here