Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolj79

oak kitchen needs paint...no green

carolj79
15 years ago

I need to paint my eat-in kitchen. My cabinets are ash with the orange undertones, floor is medium oak laminate, and the countertops is a neutral beige/white conservative pattern. The paint is now a teal green with a mint green sponged on. I posted on here a few months back asking what color to chose and many people suggested staying in the green family, particularly sage. I bought SW clary sage and do not like the color. It is too similar to what I already have (oops!) and DH said not much of a change at all. I know the greens look great with oak but need a change of color. I am leaning toward a brownish gold color, perhaps something like SW blonde. Behr paint is on sale this weekend and would prefer to buy that brand. Any ideas? I am sorry I can't post a pic.

Comments (21)

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I have BM Wilmington Tan with my oak cabinets. I like it but then again it goes well with my floors.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• johnmari
    15 years ago

We used BM Monroe Bisque in our previous house with Ye Old Orange Builder-Oak Cabinets - I can't get Colorcharts to give me an equivalent in Behr but I'm sure HD will have the formula for it. We "inherited" a few cans from another Gardenwebber and lucked out that it went so well with the cabinets and the new floor we put in. My camera skews toward pink so it's more neutral than it looks in these pictures.

{{gwi:1537463}}
    {{gwi:1537464}}

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

I love SW Blonde but I think I would do something with a tad more brown in it. I see on your other thread you didn't like SW Camelback or Whole Wheat...?? Would you reconsider those?? I also love all the Buff colors like Believable Buff and Pittsfield Buff.

I was looking through the Behr site for colors and saw one that is a nice soft sand color. It's called Riviera Sand.

Behr Color Chart

• User
    15 years ago

I too have oak cabs, and was originally going to put Behr Grass Cloth on the walls in my kitchen. I knew I wanted color but it was like the green was competing with the wood, not a good thing. So I opted for Ralph Lauren (a big box paint also) Gold Finch and I love it. Everyone that comes over always compliments it and my daughter who owns a home of her own, says it has a welcoming feel to it which is what I was going for. I also have a yellowish color on one of my living room walls. It's Behr Warm Muffin. It was supposed to be of a sort of a brownish color but turned out to be more yellow once we got it on the wall. Go figure. Heres samples though, the one with the door is Warm Muffin, the other is Finch Gold both of which will work with oak cabinets.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

I've been helping my ex paint his kitchen, and he has the same Oak cabs. He let me choose the color, and I found it very difficult since the cabinets 'read' so orangey. I looked at golds, and thought the cabs and walls blended into one. I also thought a rusty color would work, but it looked like more of the orange, but darker. I ended up choosing SW Koi Pond which is a very true sage green and the kitchen looks very pretty.

It's usually best to go with a color that is opposite on the color wheel.

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

I have Believable Buff in mine. I'm very happy with it. I looked at SW Blonde, but it looked horrible with my lighting in this house. This was just the shade I was looking for-a great neutral, then you can put whatever accent colors you want into the room.

• User
    15 years ago

wow, very nice photo, what a beautiful kitchen!

• carolj79
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your pictures and advice. Superchick, I like the SW believable buff. What kind of natural light do you get in the kitchen? My kitchen is on the southwest corner of my house. A roofed porch is immediately outside the kitchen so blocks some of the light but still quite bright. The believable buff looks like it is a light color but not as light as a pastel, am I correct?

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Gorgeous shot of your kitchen Superchick...I don't think I've seen that shot before.

:::wiping drool off my keyboard::::

Carolj, Now I really think Believable Buff is the way to go. Looks fantastic.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I like using gold with oak and did it in my last house. I never uploaded many pics of that house though, and the only one I can find is one that I was trying to take a pic of an oriole at my feeder.

You mentioned Blonde, that's the color in my new kitchen. That pic is when we just moved in so not much had been done.

LA Gold 3 is good with oak. I can't remember if they have that at Lowes or HD but I'm sure you could get a Behr match if you like the color chip.

Great kitchens everyone!

• teacats
    15 years ago

How about Behr's "Raffia Cream"

Jan

• jess74
    15 years ago

I just need to say "THANK YOU for posting this!" I also have oak cabs with light beige/tan counters and have been debating paint colors. Like you, I would prefer to stay away from green. (My LR furniture in the open area is sage and that's plenty for me.) I like how yellows and golds look in some homes but wouldn't prefer it in mine.

It's been so helpful to see the pics of kitchens kind of like mine with Believable Buff, etc.

• Boopadaboo
    15 years ago

I must be crazy. I have been thinking of doing a blue or blue/gray with my oak cabinets.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I love all these kitchen pics so much. The floors and the wall color in the Believable Buff kitchen are perfect for my kitchen since I have oak cabinets and I need a new floor.

Superchick, what color is your floor and what size tiles are they (I think the smaller ones are 4X4?) What type of tile is it? I was thinking of staying with very light but after seeing your floors, I think my kitchen needs a warm tile like you have.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

P.S. The Monroe Bisque and the Wilmington Tan are also paint color that I love and look great with the oak cabinets to me.

• janetta_d
    15 years ago

The Buff and Bisque colors look great! I used EK Honeysuckle in my oak kitchen, sorry, no pics right now. It was the third try, after EK colors Peridot and then Bronze. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I received many compliments on it and I do like it now.

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

Thanks for the sweet comments, guys!
    Carol-I'd say I get medium light in the kitchen. It's the one window without a porch or deep eaves. And I'd say that it's really a medium color, maybe just a tad lighter than SW Blonde. Of course, in your home it may look much different. You just can never tell until you get paint up on the wall!

Lynn-the tile is nothing fancy...Mohawk ceramic "Ristano" in Crema. It's on the website and looks kinda gross on there, if you ask me! I was really worried about it, but I'm very happy with it now! The big tiles are 18x18 and the small are 6x6 set in a hopscotch pattern.

• carolj79
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your ideas. My DH likes the Behr Cracked Wheat, the color just above the Riviera Sand. Has anyone used this color?

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

carol-do a search in this forum and it'll give you a post about favorite golds and yellows. I think there should be a pic with Cracked wheat there. Good luck! Sorry, I don't know how to link it for you.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow and gold

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

thanks parma42, I'm "link" illiterate and have never bothered to learn how!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES