Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Lamps for the Buffet

User
15 years ago

Bought a couple lamps for on the buffet.

(*notes - mirror still not up but will be hopefully soon. Paint will be sometime soon. Going to buy a rug. Main color will probably be black. Unsure of size)

Don't think this Tiffany lamps works at all. May keep it for the one end table in the LR.

{{!gwi}}

This isn't working for me either. I was trying to bring the silver/pewter color to the buffet since the chandy, door piping, and floor vent are all that but I'm having doubts. Think this one is too stubby and just too plain or something.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I kind of like this one. Think the shade is ok but think it would look better with a slightly skinnier, black shade....?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here's a pic of the same lamp w/ different shade. Obviously not the right size.

{{!gwi}}

Thoughts??? Should I bag the pewter lamp idea all together?

Here's a lamp I have in the LR and would like to keep it there, but the middle section is crystal/glass...would something like this be better?

{{!gwi}}

And the final question. One lamp or two.

Comments (104)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Organic - Well said. The one silver looking one I bought was suppose to be the 'simple' but it didn't look right. Makes sense about the pattern on the lamp helping to tie in.

Back to the drawing board. Please keep your eyes peeled!

Thanks again for hanging in there with me and for all the helpful thoughts, links, and PSing!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Post up your inspiration photo again, Sheesharee.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

I have to take the dogs for their walk, I simply have to.

I'll be back in a couple of hours with more specific examples of what I mean. :)

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

S'sharee, if you have any consignment shops in your area, check them out for lamps. I've seen several 2-5 arm lamps in my local consignment stores. I was lucky and found one at a fleamarket about 4 years ago~all metal to boot!

As for the mirror, your best bet is to use a picture/mirror kit with the wire. With those little hangers on the back it's very hard to get a mirror/picture level. I always resort to the wire as I think it gives more support also. Just make sure you wrap at least six inches(or more)TIGHTLY around each end. If you don't, the wire could slip and the mirror will come 'tumbling down'. I've had this happen!

Just a couple of things to think about. ;o)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Haha Squirrel!! - Wow. very tall

I like this... (It has parrots!! Err, birds similar to parrots!) $165 30" high

{{!gwi}}

and these.
    think this one is 35" I'd say too high but I still like the lamp.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

this one's a stubby 14"
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

31" home depo
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Should I also mention I like transferware (black. like pink and red too) and was considering using some in the area? Possibly some plates near the chair?

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Here's a sampling (iincluding a transferware lamp). Are there any that you like?

1)
    {{!gwi}}

2)
    {{!gwi}}

3)
    {{!gwi}}

4)
    {{!gwi}}

5)
    {{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Here's a link to a site with excellent quality porcelain and ceramic lamps. They are expensive, but you might find something you really love--style, color--and you can then start to look for a similar lamp, but at less cost. :)

I think this one is pretty, because it echoes the swirls in your mirror.

http://www.lampgallery.com/product.html?t_q=5161

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp Gallery

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Here's a fancy toile lamp with the colors you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toile Lamp

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

A whole different look. :)

I guess it would make more sense for you to peruse the site yourself--lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Lamp

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Organic - I like #1. Numbers 3 & 5 I saw on ebay and I like but didn't know if they would work. My sister seems to think my mirror looks blue, think she's color blind because it's black. Was worried the blue wouldn't help it. Don't care for 2 & 4.

I really like the swirly one.

OMG, I LOVE the toile one! It has feet!! :)

Do they happen to ever run sales? I'm going to check that site out. Thank you!

Val - Checked the mirror height last night, it's 35" from bottom to tippy top.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I think a very pretty oriental ceramic lamp is right for that area. I don't like the buffet lamp size and I don't like the faux looking metals and ornatish. The mirror takes care of ornate and can serve that purpose. I agree with Organic, one lamp in ceramic and then get a silver tray or brass, and put some liquor decanters on it, on the opposite side of your furniture piece. You will have a collection of beautiful items and the tray with crystal decanters will give you the sparkle and your chandelier light will make it even better from ceiling to mirror and back to crystal.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

patricia - I do have some really pretty crystal decanters I was considering getting rid of because I don't know where to put them. I'll have to give that a try!

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Here's a link to the transferware lamp. They actually have two of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Transferware Lamp

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

shesharee: My vote would also be for a ceramic lamp; at the same time, if your heart is set on one of the multi-shade lamps, you could make that work also. A toile lamp would be a lovely choice or the transferware--whatever speaks to you. I also like that first one you posted with the parrots, though a tad pricy. If you like the lamps with Colonial/Victorian scenes on them I found oodles of them on eBay when I was searching for a vintage lamp. Squirrel's done lots of visuals for you with different looks so you can choose the one you prefer and the we can focus on finding you an actual lamp in your price range. Patricia's suggestion of the tray with decantors sounds ideal for a DR buffet location; however as this is really a foyer table, I'd prefer to see a floral arrangement or decorative box to round out the tableau. Or perhaps a bowl filled with some decorative balls--Lamps Plus has some pretty examples. Or that photograph you had put out earlier on the spindle table.

Since your mirror is quite tall I think you can safely mount it before the lamp and stick to a height between 26-32" for the lamp. Try about 4-5" above the buffet. I agree with above comment about using the picture wire (make sure it is a heavier gauge for mirrors).

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

You seemed to like the toile a lot. Here's one I like that picks up on your gold/black mirror (that's beautiful! where did you get it?)

Not sure I got the size right (27-1/2). The details got lost in the virtual, but linked is the ad: Black Toile Lamp at Bellacor

{{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel - Ooooo I really like that lamp. It's a little out of my price range right now though. Now I'm thinking it should definitely have black in it.

You like the mirror? It's JC Penny. They have it online but I saw it listed on CL at a liquidation place around here for a lot less. Thanks. I was still having second thoughts about it. My family and friends have very different taste than me and none of them care for it. This shouldn't matter but it makes a person feel a little better when they have some positive feedback!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I love that mirror! Since you mentioned JCP, I decided to look there and all their lamps are on sale right now! They have your 3 arm lamp you like! Many to choose from. Maybe you can find something that speaks to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP lamps

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

These are my top 3!
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Yes, I do love that mirror. Surely not everyone's taste, though : ) I thought it might be an old one, but see it's a poly frame. Maybe you can age the finish a bit as was suggested above.

Here's an eBay jar made into a lamp (not sure how exp that is to have done, but it's an option). And kmcg's tiered find, which I love! Put some toile on there, in the form of the ginger jar, but imagine it's your decorative plate : ) along with something else to complete things ...

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Much as it's totally not my style-- that last image is stunning and surely seems to call Sheeshareee's name.

Excellent visual, Squirrel.. as always!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I agree : ) The lamp is a four-shade, hopefully would fit! At 28" it seems it might not be large.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's the link to the lamp -- on sale! and a great price.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP Tiered Lamp

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

C'mon guys!!! haha check it. Same place I bought the mirror has two of those lamps. (Or had, not sure if they're still there or not) Here's the pic IRL

Everyone said it was competing with the mirror. I actually thought something about it was...sort of cheap looking. Maybe it had to do with the shades...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Was on sale for I think $69

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Well, it may very well be cheap looking irl! I like the photo in the ad though and with the mirror : )

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel - Thanks for doing that PS. I do really like it in the one you did. I dig the little ceramic jar too.

I think it's the embroidery on the shades that I don't care for. They were also a more mustard gold looking irl. Shades could be changed out eh?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I like the amber colors of the ad photo, and the embroidery and beads. The shades look skinnier in the photo though and the embroidery and details do look different, even in the zoom. Finding just the right new shades could prove difficult! Check out the resin base for looking cheap too.

I think it depends if you want the more Victorian look or a more classic appeal.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I agree.. i think it looks cheap in your photo. It is the base and the finish that makes me cringe the most.

Just an example how an ad photo can make crap look nice. I do like that style for your room though.

And I am tellin ya-- check out the consignment gallery in Carlisle!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So we like the multipul shade style better than the ginger jar? I just want it to look good.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I do, but what counts is what YOU like.

The right ginger jar could sway my opinion... just like seeing how cheap the lamp looks in person turned me off to that specific tiered lamp.

Are you sure it is the same lamp? As Squirrel said, they look different in the zoom. Places like that home store can carry bad runs from their manufacturers in china or well, who knows what. It might be worth checking the store since they are having a big sale now.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

The 4-shade lamp does seem to compliment the mirror, but as you are thinking of toning down the brassy look this may not be the direction you should go on. It's not worth it if you do not like the shades since the base itself is resin. If at all there is a consignment shop or thift store you may find something you like there that is older and made with better materials. I found my LR lamp at an estate sale (for something like $20) and all I did was change out the shade. My opinion is if you like vintage items, to not buy new reproductions, but hunt around on CL, eBay, estate sales, antique stores, thrift shops, etc. for your pieces. Granted it will take longer that way, but in the end, you will have saved money and have better quality decor as well. Believe me you will know it when you see it (just like that little chair you snapped up with no help from any one of us here).

My personal favorite is still the parrot lamp. There is a certain delicacy to the design that is very appealing and the colors go nicely with your chair.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

SheeSharee, what one person likes, the next person won't. You will know when it's something you love for yourself and love in your space.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The parrot lamp? Really? I do like it. My mind is just trying to figure out how it works with the mirror etc. Ha help me see the light guys.

Squirrel - You up for putting the parrot in the pic?

I should probably stop at the consignment shop in Carlisle.
    I would rather have something that's older and better than reproduction plastic.

kmcg - Thank you for checking out JCP for me!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Do you have a Kirkland's nearby? I often have luck in there. I have gotten two nice lamps there that I love.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

With the shade I have on hand. Maybe this is 30" -- or is this smaller? Wouldn't want to go bigger than this.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kmcg - Yeah, I was just there two weeks ago and thought for sure I'd find a lamp. Nada. There was a bunch on sale but nothing appealed to me.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Squirrel - was that the lamp val was talking about or was it the yellow one from lamps plus?
    That one is 30".

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Squirrel - was that the lamp val was talking about or was it the yellow one from lamps plus?
    That one is 30".

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry again about the double post. I just went back and reread. I think you did post the right parrot one squirrel.
    val wrote, "I also like that first one you posted with the parrots, though a tad pricy."

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I thought that was the parrots lamp from above. I think, since you want a vintage look, going visiting some consignment/antique shops would be a good adventure. It would complement your grandmother's buffet better than a mass-produced (and resin) piece would.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Guess I should've listened to that double post message!! What a popular thread!!!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooo like this one too. Ebay. Has lots of color going on. Not sure if that's good or bad.
    27" with shipping it's $40. has two days to go. Was from an estate sale.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Here is the link again.. remember that there are 4 floors of stuff-- so there's bound to be something you love.

I don't buy something every time I go-- but I always fall in love.

Here is a link that might be useful: Consignment Gallery

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

was that a negative on the red lamp?

Funky - I'll admit I'm half afraid to go. I'll want to buy tons of stuff and I just don't have the room or money to do so. :) I'm bound to come out with something!

Perhaps I'll make the trip next week. Wed. is sounding good.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Oh my. I can't believe there are so many responses to this thread. Yes, that is the parrot lamp that squirrel PS'ed in. I like it, but it's not my money or my house. I'm glad you are thinking of going to the consignment store funky recommended. Make sure to bring along any pics/swatches, digital camera and a tape measure as you'll never know what you'll find.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Not to make this situation more difficult but have you considered using a wall sconce on either side of the mirror? I think that might allow the beautiful frame on the mirror to shine without the distraction of lamps. A low floral arrangement in the center of the buffet may be all that is necessary to embellish.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

ok, here's a few more for the road to see what you might like. Bright, floral, metal, curvy. Not sure what the actual sizes are.

{{!gwi}}

• lovinlifesc
    15 years ago

My vote goes to the parrot lamp as well, but I am partial to traditional decor.

Susan

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, this is the first I've been on for days.

I do like the red lamp but the bidding ended on ebay.

luckygal - I did think about the sconces, then quickly stopped thinking about it. Haha Was getting very overwhelming.

I ended up shopping over the weekend and I'm going to start a new post! :) Posts... I bought paint samples too.