Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren0319

Master Bedroom Window Treatments- help! (w pics)

lauren0319
12 years ago

I had a longer thread going, but I cannot seem to "bring it to the top." I hope no one minds me starting a new one :)

Here is our master bedroom with our new furniture. I am really liking the way it has turned out... I find it a very calming place in our hectic life!! :) However, it is begging for accessories... and I'm starting with window treatments.

Bedding is from Restoration Hardware. It is mainly greys w/ a touch of blue. It was suggested on here to find some grey drapes and either hang 4 panels, one on each side of the window... or even do a wall of panels all behind the bed.

I am having a REALLY hard time finding 95" panels in grey. BUT I have had no trouble finding blue panels. JC Penny's to the rescue! I picked these up yesterday... WDYT? I really don't have any blue in the room. But we will be getting a new rug, and I was leaning toward blues and greys...

Opened wide so you can see the color.

Is it too "random" to go w/ blue drapes? They do match the bedding really well... but it's also the only blue in the room. (as of now.)

WDYT?

Comments (20)

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm... I did find these on Target.com (link below) but I question the quality...

Here is a link that might be useful: Target Drapes

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

Here's some pretty silk drapes in grey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grey drapes

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Can you link to the RH bedding and/or provide a detail shot of the bedding? From the pictures, the blue looks rather random to me and it seems as though gray would work better. However, you said there were touches of blue in the bedding. If we could see the blue, maybe that would help the blue curtains make sense.

Have you looked at the RH curtains? I know they are a little pricey, but they all appear to be on sale right now. RH has numerous in 96", and the RH color palette seems to be fairly coordinated, so you could likely find something in the same gray or blue as the bedding.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the bedding. The blue is very subtle, but it is there. In Pacific!! (oh, and of course I paid full price and it's now on sale... )

I did look at RH curtains, but they are so so expensive... like $200/panel vs. the $30 at JCP.

Here is a link that might be useful: RH bedding in Pacific

• suero
    12 years ago

When I looked at your first picture, my immediate reaction was a light blue curtain for the windows. I think that what you have will be perfect. It doesn't have to match the blue in the bedding, just not yellower or greener that the blue in the bedding.

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

I like the blue drapes, and hope you'll find a lovely rug to coordinate.

I don't know if you would like one similar to Jock's, but a soft blue, gold palette would look nice and work well with your current blue grey bedding but be flexible for updates.

If that doesn't appeal, check out TTodd's beautiful photo of hydrangeas in the current painted black house thread. You may have seen it in one of her earlier threads. Her silver and dark wood is reminiscent of yours, so might be a lovely way to bring in just a touch of blue.

Happy decorating!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jockewing's LR rug

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

I went and looked at RH Baby & Child and they have cotton/linen panels in oatmeal that "might" work with your bedding. 96" @ $129 ea. Although, I agree, still pricey. I would try bed bath also or Country Curtains. Could you lay the drape on the duvet and take a closer pic? We might be able to see the detail better.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Your room does look very restful and calming. If may be different IRL, but given the very muted palate of the duvet, it is almost reading like a solid. As you are also thinking a solid for the WTs, I'd like to see you choose your rug first before finalizing the WT choice. You had some lovely inspiration pics. I would look at those again to give us some idea your thoughts on the rug as knowing what direction you wish to head, will help us make better suggestions. If it were me, I'd look for something in a billowy creamy ivory, soft and full, to balance out all the wood furniture and more tailored look of your bedding. Instead of doing a wall of WTs, I'd love to see a starburst mirror over the bed to give your room a bit of sparkle. It's also simply begging for a chandelier.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here it is w/ the 3 pillows

and just the duvet

I think it looks nice... I just can't tell if I'm *trying* or forcing it to work bc I'm so tired of looking..... As of right now, it's the only blue in the room.

Also- found this rug on overstock... I'm leery of buying from Overstock bc I would hate to hate to return it if it didn't work.... *if* I decide to keep the curtains, do I need a rug w/ more blue?

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock Rug

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Country curtains has some very nice sheers. I think white would be nice.

• annie1971
    12 years ago

Do you know how easy it is to find your own fabric, and if you can't measure and get it all together for your windows yourself, you can find someone to help you. Don't settle for catalog/online when you've put so much into your room so far. You're room's lovely, look for other options..

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

I agree with annie1971. There are thousands of fabrics out there. Find a local seamstress and get exactly what you will love.
    Your room is too pretty to make do!

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LINK below

These are my options from BB&B, *if* I choose to go w/ grey. Again, I am leery bc all have to be ordered online... It's nice that I can return in store though....
    I have a whole stack of coupons, so the thought of paying full price for panels at BB&B kills me. Any way to use multiple coupons but still place 1 order? (so I'm not killed by shipping fees?)
    My MIL does sew beautifully, but she was the one that encouraged me to just buy from a store... so I hate to have to ask her.

Any thoughts on the grey sheers? (the "Serenade" ones...) ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Grey 95

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay... brought some grey "grommet" panels home from BB&B. The color is much better than the blue... so I think you are all right, and I should not settle. BUT I do not like the grommet style... I think I prefer more of a rod pocket style.

I have found some grey ones online from West Elm. LINK below. They are not on sale. But they are affordable (much more so than the $250+ per panel from RH!) Any experience with West Elm? It's very important to me that these don't easily wrinkle... I'm thinking this material combo will work. (vs. 100% cotton.)

WDYT?

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm Grey Panels

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Do you have a west elm anywhere close to you, so you can see curtains in person.
    I think they look nice in the photos but I still think blue is better than gray for your walls.
    If there is one near you perhaps you could buy one of each color and come home and try them.

• annie1971
    12 years ago

Well, if your MIL won't help you, you need a friend. I wish I were close by, I would gladly sew up panels for you. Otherwise, I will leave the color choice to the others on the forum. I only want to add my two cents worth on quality. I would stay away from BB&B. Have you checked Pottery Barn (pricier, but better quality). I haven't purchased fabric accessories from West Elm, but I would trust them. Then, of course you know about Restoration Hardware -- don't they have panels to coordinate with your beautiful bedding?
    Annie

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

West Elm curtains arrived and they are perfect!!!!!!!!!! Totally transformed our room; we are so pleased :) Thank you all so much for your help and encouraging me not to settle. (and I fully admit I do not have good decorating taste, so if you have any suggestions, I am open.)

And I was really confused about what West Elm's color "zinc" was... if anyone is curious, it is a dark, metallic grey with a slight beige hue... I would rename it "Gunmetal." The material is great... I have not ironed them yet. I am hoping over the next week the wrinkles will fall out. If they do not, I will ask my mom to iron them ;) I'm horrible at ironing and also due to have a baby any day now :) :) :)

Now onto finding a rug!

• lolauren
    12 years ago

hey... I think the color of those drapes are BEAUTIFUL. It makes the room look many times better and pulled together. However, I agree with sujafr.... they should be just above the floor...... clip rings will, hopefully, fix that.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh no! Dh and I had a huge discussion about that... I wanted them to the floor, he wanted them higher; he wanted the rod 1/2way between the ceiling and the window. At first glance in our room, you can't really see that the drapes do not touch the floor, so I think I'm going to try and live w/ them for a while. We shall see ;) Otherwise, we'll probably rehang them 3 in. lower.... I do appreciate your input!