Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with House Colors

Posted by finethreads (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 9:46

We need to finalize our house colors today. More specifically, we need to pick the main exterior color. We have already picked out our trim, which is Benjamin Moore White Dove. The rafter tails have already been painted with this color.

Also, our Marvin Integrity windows have a bronze exterior finish and our front door is mahogany.

For main exterior we have tentatively selected Benjamin Moore Wolf Gray. Using their paint program, I have painted a gable roof house with these colors. What do you think?

I'll post our front and rear elevations in a follow up.

Thanks for any and all input!

This post was edited by finethreads on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 9:48

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with House Colors

Here is a picture of our front and rear elevations.

o

I just realized I'm not looking at your actual house- *facepalm*. What color is your roof? Will you have stone accents like the sample image or no?

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 10:07

o

One of the main features of your house is the standing seam metal roof. You don't mention what color that is, and that color would be a significant factor to consider when choosing a color for the exterior of your home. I am not a fan of that kind of blue gray; I think it doesn't complement any of the bronze / brown tones and there is still the huge unanswered question of your roof color.

o

mistake post

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 10:05

o

The Gray Wolf looks pretty purple on the BM page. I'd try a sample first and look at it in changing light.

You cannot go wrong, though, with Van Courtland Blue!

Or do something like this combo of Woodlawn, Philipsburg and Van Courtland Blue

o

Hello! Thank you for your input. As it stands now, the galvalume roofing is unpainted.

o

Also, we will have no stone accents.

o

Tibbrix thinks everything should be van courtland blue. I'd be surprised if her dog wasn't that color. That said I think she is right on with that combo she shows. I love it. (Just teasing tibbrix, I think everything should be seasalt or sage so there you go).

o

Well, my dog isn't van courtland blue, rgps, but I named him Van Courtland. And when I get a second dog, I'll name him Blue.

Besides, you're wrong. I also think everything should be BM Vintage Charm/Kasbah, and chocolate brown.

So you see, I have a very varied palette.

And I think someone with that chandy you've got shouldn't be picking on others!

(Runs off and cries).

Btw, I think you should paint your dad's chandelier Van Courtland Blue. It's by Ben Moore.

o

OMG, LOL!!!

o

Also, we will have no stone accents.

o

How about this shade?

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Amsterdam AF-550

o

I like the Wolf Gray. The only thing I don't like in the Benjamin Moore sample pic is the garage door color, which you don't mention, so I'm going to assume you are not planning on until you say otherwise. The Wolf Gray with the white is striking.

(Not that I have anything against Van Courtland Blue, Philipsburg Blue, Kasbah, Vintage Charm, Amsterdam, Seasalt, or Sage. The Vintage Charm and Kasbah might not go over well with the neighbors, as I think there is some prejudice against purple on large objects like cars and houses.)

o

Let me explain that, one thing I love about Van Courtland Blue is that it is the rare paint color that looks great in every kind of light.

o

Thank you cawaps for the comments! You are correct, we have not yet picked our front door or garage door colors. Do you think we should try to match it with our door color (Mahogany/natural wood) or should we paint the garage doors the same as the house color? Any other ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

o

I think the exterior paint is the last thing you should choose. Are you going to paint your roof? If so, what color? What about the bronze of the window framing? What color will the doors be, the garage doors, etc. Let's not get the heart ahead of the course.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 15:50

o

Great questions patricia43! Unless we change direction, we are going with unpainted galvalume roofing. All of our doors except for the front door (mahogany wood) will be Marvin Integrity and colored bronze. We have not made any decision regarding the garage door color.

The reason for the rush on exterior color is that the builder will start installing the siding on the section of the house where the gabled roof meets the back of the house hip roof. That way he won't have people walking on the roof to paint that section of the house.

Thanks!

o

Does anyone have any thoughts on moving over to more of a gray or brown to better match the bronze trim and doors?

o

duplicate post

This post was edited by finethreads on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 17:59

o

I think you want something that contrasts with the bronze, doesn't blend in with it. How about a taupe? BM Indian River:

o

Hi Tibbrix, I like that color and the contrast it would provide with the bronze windows and doors. Here it is from Benjamin Moore.

o

Ooh, very pretty, and I think more sophisticated and contemporary looking than blue.

o

And the softness of the White Dove would go well with that color as well, I think.

o

Another beautiful taupe is BM Taos Taupe. can you photoshop the Taos Taupe to compare it to the Indian River?

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 19:18

o

If I see one more earthtoned house I'm going to barf (mine is tan so I keep a barf bag handy at all times) so I say go with the blue.

o

Here is a link for a GW member that shows a house with a metal roof and dark gray paint. Maybe it will help a little?

Here is a link that might be useful: House

o

I also love this color (on the top half of the house)

o

Here is another home with a lovely blue.

o

Thanks for all the great ideas. Tibbrix suggested Taos Taupe from Benjamin Moore. Here it is.

o

LOVE, love, LOVE the Taos Taupe!! That is gorgeous with that creamy trim, which White Dove is also. Taupe also has enough red in it so that the mahogany doors will look great.

I love that last one.

Of course, it's what you and your wife think that matters!

Just keep a garden hose out front for when rgps walks by and barfs.

o

I'd also say to stick with the grays and blues. If you want to go taupe, then I'd prefer a slightly darker one, like aktillery's at 6:50.

And, yes, my next house paint job may very well be Van Courtland Blue, Phillipsburg, and Woodland. (which color is where in that picture? Is the door Phillipsburg?)

o

NSM, the clapboard on the first two floors is in Phillipsburg; the top clapboard is the Van Courtland, and the trim is the Woodlawn blue.

The Woodlawn is very hard to detect, until you look at the porch post on the right next to the trim board next to it. Then you see the Woodlawn.

Slooooowly they convert to the fabulousness of Van Courtland Blue!

o

Back to blues, here is another nice one. Cobalt blue.

o

My first thought was the Wolf Gray was too dark for me, but I like it the best out of the mock-ups you posted. I think I would play around with the blue/grays, but you may come back to Wolf Gray in the end.

o

OK, I'm converted to Van Courtland Blue -- and Phillipsburg on the top.

Going back to the OP: I agree with whoever said that the garage doors on the BM example are a bit off with the Wolf Gray. Other than that, I like it a lot.

Some other considerations: Will the overall geographical location as well as sun exposure affect your color choice? My house faces south, and the colors have faded quite a bit.

o

I like the Cobalt Blue too.

o

Indian River. The last post I read was for bronze window frame and mahogany door, so I think the BM color Tibbrix posted, Indian River, is perfect for those colors. Just MHO. There is a taupe house down the street from me about the color of Indian River and I love it. When I drive by I always wish I had that house instead of mine.

o

I was playing around with the BM tool you're using and I'm worried the color isn't accurate. I'm kind of liking the van Courtland Blue on the house Tibbrix posted. It's the color on the gable, correct?

Here's another Van Courtland

I like this color, but she said she had to mix BM Stratton Blue and Sea Pine to get it.

o

Patricia, the bronze would stand out even more with the Taos Taupe, I think. Very luxurious combination, IMO.

o

IF you do blue, I would do a blue with more of a green to it - like the last one msrose posted above. The blue greys were so over done for a few years, I got a bit sick of them (including on my own house) and, to me, it looks dated. Having said that, they were overdone because, on some houses with the right colour, it looked stunning.

You have a gorgeous house and it will be beautiful no matter what you paint it.

o

What about more of a greenish gray instead of a bluish gray?

o

Thanks for all the great ideas! Just to confirm, we are using a sample house off of Benjamin Moore's web site to fill in the various colors. Here is what the front of our house actually looks like. The front of the house faces East.

We are building in Santa Rosa Beach in an eclectic beachy community from the 50's. We are surrounded by yellow pine forrests and in our neighborhood Live Oak Trees dominate.

I have included a link to our construction post in Building a Home. Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: We have started construction

o

Looks like the house next door is done in a color very similar to the Taos Taupe, so, much as I love that color, I'm not sure I'd go with it for that reason.

o

Yes, the neighboring house is a light gray if my memory serves me correctly. I have just sent a text to our builder. I have asked him to take a front on picture of that house and send it to me. I'll post it when I get a chance. Good point - I don't want to have a house color that too closely matches that color. Thanks!

o

That Stratton blue sea pine combo is yummy. Sorry tibbrix but it just booted VC Blue right out of first place in my book.

o

Well, this is not easy for me to admit, but I'm not liking the VC Blue as an exterior color, only on a Victorian, where multiple colors can be used.

I'm in Concord, MA, right now which has the most amazing houses, and I just drove by a house in your style, fine threads, that is painted a color like the Indian River, has creamy white trim, and mahogany garage and front doors…and it is gorgeous.

I love those creamy colors.

o

I can't figure out what color this is, but I love it.

This post was edited by msrose on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 10:10

o

I like the taupe and white palette, but i feel it is a little North-westy and Pottery Barn-y. Really nice, can't go wrong, but not terrily fresh.

I would choose colors you see in your area, which I am guessing are lighter and more like that wonderful combo color someone posted.

o

House painted with Indian River Taupe

I guess now my biggest concern is how the house color will look or contrast with the bronze doors and windows.

We will have two bronze patio doors and two single bronze doors on the back of the house, one bronze patio door on the upper front second story and one more on the side entry door. The front door will be solid mahogany with a natural finish.

By the way, I now have until next Tuesday to pick my colors. If I delay, then I will set back the construction schedule. Will be heading over to Benjamin Moore on Monday to mix up some more sample cans and paint some boards.

o

It'll look gorgeous with the bronze windows, etc. It's a wonderful palette.

o

Narrow your choices down to, say, three, and get samples of each, paint a swatch of each, and look at it throughout the day in different daylight, before settling on one.

o

On another post, palimpsest posted a great color which I believe would look very good on your house. I couldn't figure out how to post a link just to his post, so am copying and pasting the info. His post contains a picture.

RE: Searching for a Benjamin Moore exterior paint color

•Posted by palimpsest (My Page) on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 11:41
I tried
Benjamin Moore Wythe Blue on the body
Benjamin Moore Carriage Red on the shutters
Benjamin Moore Brickyard Red on the garage door.
White trim
I put wider shutters on the upper story, added shutters to the first floor, and added a light.

I think the garage door may be better blended into the brick, since it really isn't the entryway and is asymmetrically placed.

o

BM Nantucket Gray is a great exterior color. Our first house was painted blue when we bought it. After we repainted in NG and removed the shutters we had all the neighbors stop by and comment how much better it looked. I think a lot of people do not like blue used as an exterior house color.

o

Hello all and thanks again for all your input. One more color to throw out there. BM Sea Glass. A little more beachy looking to me.

Looks a bit like the color one of of the previous posters found. We already have wolf gray sample boards and will head over to Benjamin Moore to pick two or three more. Color is a big choice, isn't it.....

o

Okay, here is what we picked up at the paint store:

Taos Taupe
Indian River
Naragansett
Sea Glass

After looking at all the colors, it was a difficult choice, but we went with our original choice Wolf Gray. Thank you all so much for your invaluable help.

o

I'm glad you picked the Wolf Gray. I like that one as well as the Sea Glass.

I have a taupey colored house and it looks fine on my stucco, but with siding and white trim and dark brone, I think the tan colors would have looked a little dull.

o

That's it now, I am not visiting. I wanted Seaglass.
: )

Love your elevations, please post the real thing when you are done!

o

We switched back to Wolf Gray! I didn't want to compete with the color of my neighbor's house. We really like it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here