Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimisham

Color For Shutters?

jimisham
9 years ago

We have a small ranch house with a black roof. We're going to paint the house a lighter yellow with white trim.
We're wondering what color would look good on the shutters. Black is out, thinking about white.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (6)

• louislinus
    9 years ago

Charcoal gray or even a medium gray. A picture would help.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Van Courltand Blue, Santorini Blue, or Nimbus Gray (Ben Moore)

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Are you dead-set on painting the house yellow? I pass by a yellow house with a black roof and the contrast is just really harsh. JMO

• User
    9 years ago

A ranch house with a black roof, even with the yellow siding, is not going to look anything like the picture posted above.

The truth is, there is no way anyone can do anything but throw out their favorite color names if you don't post a picture of the house in question. Showing you what those colors look like on a completely different style of house with different foundation materials, landscaping, etc, may mislead you into thinking your house will look similar.

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine. "Lighter yellow" is not a color, it is a notion a person has in his or her head.

Please post a picture, snap it with your phone and download using the instructions on the site. I would really like to see it and weigh in on your shutter color dilemma!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Must be the right shade of yellow to hold its own against a black roof. I would not recommend light yellow, but a deeper tone with crisp trim in white and shutters in either white or black. Could be charming if the house has enough details.

• albryant
    9 years ago

Our little brick Cape is painted Sherwin Williams Jersey Cream, which is a light, muted yellow. I agree with the comments that a black roof would be a very stark contrast to light yellow. We discovered this when we had our roof replaced and were trying to decide on a roof color. We ended up going with Driftwood, which has a mixture of black, brown, and gray to better complement the house color.

Our board and batten shutters are an almost black Charleston Green and I really think they are too dark for the yellow house and driftwood roof now, but my better half disagrees (really, he just doesn't want me to tackle any more painting projects :)