Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sas95_gw

Help with entryway rug

sas95
9 years ago

I am looking for a rug for my entry. I have already bought and returned a few that have not looked right. Most have looked bad with the marble floors. There is no other furniture or art in the room, as there are basically no walls.

I have looked for inspiration pics with marble floors, but most marble entryways are in formal/traditional homes. Mine is not formal-- more of a transitional/mcm vibe.

I'm currently thinking of a sisal type rug. Will that be too bland for the area? Should I be looking for something with more color?

Comments (28)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

If its not too too casual, you may want to look at Dash and Albert, even their indoor outdoor.

I love D&A products, but their traditional cotton woven rugs are so thin they don't lay right or hold their shape unless they are quite small, in my experience.

However, I recently bought two of the indoor/outdoor rugs for the beach house and they look great. They are synthetic but they actually have a nice feel and they lay very nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: take a look here?

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, mtnrd. I love D&A products, too. The one I'm most drawn to is this one. Will something like this be too drab for the area?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Sorry, I love drab so I'm not one to ask, lol!

I suppose it would be useful to see more photos ; what other colors are visible from the foyer?

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When you walk in, you see the eat-in part of the kitchen straight away. Well, it would be the eat-in part of the kitchen if we had a table. It's more like the lounge-- here it is, but from the entry you see it from the angle facing straight out the back doors.

And to the immediate left is the living room.

I guess the question is, "A brown rug in the entry: Cohesive look, or too much brown?"

• arlosmom
    9 years ago

I love the rug that you have picked out, but like mtn, I'm another big fan of neutral. What sizes does the rug come in? Your entry looks pretty big. I think the rug would look great if it were big and filled most of the space.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I like the rug and all of what I see! really nice

If it were me, I would go with the rug, agree w Arlosmom about the size. I would perhaps pull in some hot pink or orange on the bench cushion or pillows.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I think that rug will look great in your entry. I am not a "neutrals" person so I would try color but that rug does suit the space.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I like the D&A rug. Calypso St Barth has some similar. Sign up for emails to receive 1st purchase discount. DD1 recently purchased the Sable and already had the Tapis for her MBR and MBR seating area.

I agree with filling up the area, and I can't tell from the photos, but maybe look to see about laying the rug parallel to the front door and windows (at least as wide, but not more than a few inches beyond their width) and about 3 feet away from the door in depth.

If none of the suggested rugs so far work, look into Kalaty. They make odd sizes that work great. I have several of their Soumak rugs, with a 4x8 in our foyer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calypso St Barth

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm, maybe that is part of the problem with the rugs I have brought home and returned. Too small!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love the idea of natural fiber rug. I think natural elements (stone, wood, etc.) always go well together.

There are sisal rugs that have beautiful patterns.

Or, something like this Ballard Design indoor/outdoor rug. Put a pad under it so it feels softer.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I am swooning over your rooms. They are lovely!

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice. Especially on rug sizing. So... I moved a rug from my closet to the entry just to get a feel for size. This one is a 5x7. A couple of views. Do you think a 6x9 should do it? Or bigger?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd put two rugs down, one for just inside the door so that wet and dirty feet step right onto the rug and not the marble floor, and one larger one for the better part of the foyer.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Counting the tiles....I think you have room for an 8 x 10 rug.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I was going to say 8x10 as well.

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, thanks. I'm relieved I can do the 8x10 as there are so many more rug choices than for 6x9's.

I think I'd rather do the one rug than two, and I plan to buy an indoor outdoor or something else that is durable and can be easily cleaned. I am not concerned about people mucking up the marble. It is original to the house and after 55 years has developed quite the "patina."

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I don't know if you have a Tuesday morning store near you but the one's here have some awesome rug choices in large sizes and fabrics including naturals. I agree that the bigger the rug the better.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Definitely do one large rug. Last photo shows a great shot of your foyer.

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally did find a rug and thought I'd show the finished product. Thanks to everyone for their help and for keeping me from making a mistake with a too-small size!

{{gwi:2140143}}

• teeda
    9 years ago

That looks great--and the size is perfect!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Perfect in every way, great choice!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Did you steal mntnrdredux's fabric?!?

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What fabric are you referring to? Do she and I share fabric?

• theclose
    9 years ago

Looks great!!

• theclose
    9 years ago

Looks great!!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

That bench! I think that was her first candidate for craft room shades.

• Jackbone123
    9 years ago

For entryways we would suggest a rug that is durable and dust-resistant. For example a Kilim rug which is flatweave and have non-shedding fibres would be the best from every aspect.

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marcolo, I just had to find her craft room post to see. It's not the same fabric. But it's pretty close!

In retrospect, I was sorry I chose the bird fabric because when I went to find wallpaper for the powder room off the entry, I fell in love with a bird pattern. I had to pass it by, though, lest my house start to resemble an aviary.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia