Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

another CL find? secretary/hutch

nosoccermom
10 years ago

What do you think? I'm not quite sure where to put it, but I like the shape. Is it oak?
The movers broke the hutch attachment, but I don't know how big a deal it would be to reattach it.

Here is a link that might be useful: secretary

Comments (10)

• threeapples
    10 years ago

I really like it.

• egbar
    10 years ago

grab it and growl! So much you can do with it, you could even use the 2 pieces separately, or use the desk unit alone. Looks like a fun project to me.

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

I think it is beautiful and would work in an office or living room.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anything to keep in mind when looking at it, other than how wobbly?

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Oh, wow, I love that, and the price is great! Some RestoreAFinish would bring out the beautiful oak grain. :)

Reattaching the hutch shouldn't be difficult.

This post was edited by Miz_M on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 10:17

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Usually those come in two pieces, so it's interesting that it was in one. I'd check that 'break' carefully and ask them to place the two together for you, so you can see how well the break may go together.

Is a piece of the glass broken in the upper right side where I see a dark area in the glass? That 'could' be expensive to replace if you have to take out all of the glass. It's hard to tell whether it's one piece or each is put in separately as with stained glass.

It's missing a pull and I can't see them too well, but if it's the drop pull that I think it is, you should be able to find a repro.

Ask yourself how much money you can put into it to possibly repair any damage, and decide if you have a spot for it. It is oak, and could be beautiful if you can get it back together and give it a nice waxing to restore the look of the wood, which appears a bit dry.

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

That's a steal, although for some reason I don't see the two things going together (even though it looks like that's how it was).

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I looked at it, and it didn't look as nice in real life, plus it had a couple of defects that I'm not sure how to fix easily: broken glass, sagging hinges of drop-down desk top, and the broken off attachment of the hutch. They had actually glued the top on!
    I'm not an expert, but it looked kind of flimsy and more like a 1950s reproduction.
    However, these college kids also had a neat vanity with marble top and mirror with hand carved details and wooden grape handles

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Got any pictures of the vanity? Were they selling it? I'd love to see it! Maybe their parents had antiques that they gave the kids to use.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Link below.
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: marble topped dresser

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County