Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beantownrenovator

Is there a rule of thumb for width of drapery panels?

beantownrenovator
15 years ago

Hi All,

Quick question--I'm almost ready to order drapery pannels and wondering if there's a rule of thumb? (i.e. how wide should they be in relation to the window size to not look flimsy)? I don't want or need them to close all the way (furnaces in the middle) but I'd like them to almost look like they could. would love your thoughts...

Comments (12)

• parma42
    15 years ago

The rule of thumb is that they should be 1 1/2 to 2 times the width of the window.

• beantownrenovator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi parma - thanks! is this for panels or real drapery that is to open and close? for panels it seems like alot?

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I don't think there's any difference between drapery and panels. You don't want them to look skimpy, even if you never plan to close them.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Go to JCPenney site and there is a questionnaire on their site that will answer all your questions about widths and how to measure for rod and wall clearance. You need your calculator and your tape measure, as it is a very, very accurate way of measuring, the same that professional seamstresses use when they are custom-making drapes.

• parma42
    15 years ago

It's for panels that close all the way so they will have a nice drape to them when closed.

You wouldn't have to go with the 2 times for sure. Some people don't like the look of skimpy stationary panels and would go with 1 1/2. I think it would depend on your window but do at least 1 time.

• texashottie
    15 years ago

I do 2.5 to 3 times the window length!! Anything less is too skimpy IMO.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

I worked at House of Fabrics for eight years as the unofficial window treatment lady. I could figure yardage in my head and the other ladies didn't even like using the calculator to do it.

1. For lace panels with a pattern you'd like to show go with one and a half times the width of the rod plus *returns* (the part of a rod that returns to the wall as on a standard rod).
    2. For fabric panels go two to two and a half times the width of the rod plus returns.
    3. For country or elegant panels go two and a half to three times the width of the rod plus returns.

Many rods, as I'm sure you know, no longer use the return for hanging curtains on, so if this is the case use just the rod as your starting point.

~Becky

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I have always been told 2.5 to 3 times the amount but you also have to take in consideration the width from the wall, etc. Fabric is determined by the width at the bottom of the drape, the reason it is 2.5-3 times as wide. If you use 50 inches of fabric for a 50 inch window, you can't gather it up or hem it. Just stretch it across the window.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I agree with Texashottie. I like mine full even though I never close them all the way. Rule of thumb on drapes? If you have to choose Between skimpy drapes in nice fabric or full, lush drapes in cheap fabric, go with more material. Very full, nicely hanging drapes in the most inexpensive canvas or muslin will usually look nicer than a rich brocade that looks like you cut corners to afford it.

Red

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

red, so true; fabric choice influences the number. I would also add interling and lining can greatly improve the drape/hand and look.

• ewigginton
    15 years ago

It depends on the width of your rod and how far you want them to stack back off the window. I would never recommend less than 1 1/2 widths of fabric (54' fabric width) for a lined panel. If they are unlined, I would recommend even more fabric per side. Are these ready-mades (sold by individual panel) or custom (where the widths are sewn together)? What is your window width? The 2 1/2x fullness calculation if for operable drapery panels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nouveau Stitch Home Dec Sewing Forum