Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sadie709_gw

fighting with the upholsterer

sadie709
13 years ago

I have a 40 year old MCM sofa that was my GM's that has been in my moms basement for 15 years. I want to recover it. I met with an upholsterer. He says that recovered the couch would cost $3500 to replace and the cost to reupholster will be about $1800. We are having creative differences of opinion. He wants microfiber and I'm not sold. He wants a firmer cushion and to add higher legs to add height to the sofa. I want a softer cushion and don't know if raising the sofa will interfere with the proportions or the look of the sofa. It is a long sofa over 72" and the arms and the back are the same height. It is skirted and has a very rectangular look. It sits low to the ground.

Being a professional myself it makes me crazy when clients hire me for my advice and then don't take it and when it is a disaster I have to work twice as hard to clean up the mess. So I have a predisposition to listening to my expert. But..., I think I'm going to be the bad client I hate. I want the couch to be comfortable and be able to sink into it and not be perched on top of it.

Here are my questions.

What do you think of microfiber?

Is the couch worth spending $1800 dollars on? ( if i ask for down cushions I'm sure the price will increase)

Should I loose the skirt and let him raise the legs?

Do I shut up and let him do what he wants?

Comments (27)

• yborgal
    13 years ago

I recovered my mother's sofa. I left the lines as is, even though the sofa is low. I liked the legs and the decorative along the base of the sofa. The sofa would have been more comfy and easier to get up from had I raised the height, but it's in a parlor and gets very little use. I went for appearance rather than comfort. I did substitute firmer cushions for the softer ones and I'm happy I did that.

How much higher does he want to make the sofa? If you eliminate the skirt and change the legs what kind of sofa legs will he replace them with?

I don't think raising the legs 2" to 3" will alter the look that much if you leave the skirt. But a 72" sofa on high spindly legs might look "airborne". How about raising the legs and leaving the skirt?

$1800 isn't a bad price for recovering a quality sofa. That price includes the cost of the fabric? or just labor?

What kind of fabric do you want?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Find a new upholsterer.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Personally I'm not crazy about microfiber. It's find on a chair seat or bench or ottoman but I don't care for it on a sofa or upholstered chair - that's just me.

If you're not sold on the changes he's suggesting, I'd get another professional opinion. Part of the $1800 (which in my mind is high but I ALWAYS buy my own material and just have labor costs) is taken up in the changes he's suggesting - and if those changes aren't speaking to you....... why put out the money? Talk to someone else, tell them what YOU want without mentioning what was suggested and ask if they feel that's a good direction for this piece.

I had Tuxedo chairs (arm and back at same height) of the MCM vintage and they had down cushions so I'm with you on the wanting softer seating. I had mine covered in a brown/gray cotton velvet - wore like iron, soft hand and easy care.

• catkin
    13 years ago

Buh-bye to the upholsterer!
    Just say NO to microfiber!

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

One of my more fabulous mistakes in recent years was cream ultrasuede-like microfiber on my upholstered & skirted Parsons dining room chairs. Part of the trouble is that the upholsterer I'd used for years was sick and didn't say so, and either farmed them out or let a less skilled helper do them, and they aren't done well...but while they are soft to touch, and easy to clean, they are sort of creepy-looking, and grab cat hair like a vacuum.

I agree that your upholsterer is behaving badly. If the sofa is really MCM, it is supposed to sit low. From what you describe, your best choice is probably very short-napped, good quality cotton velvet, or mohair velvet if you can afford it. That's a big price tag for the job, and you should end up with something wonderful.

(I have a bolt of gorgeous silky silvery gray ottoman, and as soon as I choose a new upholsterer and save a couple of shekels, I'm going to have them done over.)

• twizzis
    13 years ago

I worked as an upholster's assistant for a couple of years, but believe me that makes me no expert by any stretch of the imagination. As far as price, I'd say in my area that's about $500 over priced. Having said that, I was continuously reminded to take no one's word when it comes to the description of a piece. How the piece is constructed plays a big part of how labor intensive.

I used to looooove and actively persuade customers towards the microfibers. There's so many with texture that would fool most people and the durability is priceless. Not all are the smooth type of old and the old guy would be darting me eyes during this part because he didn't like to upholster with the stuff because it stretched.

If I read this right, $3500 was for fabric and labor. He'll make approximately 50% off the fabric alone. If you carefully choose your words, maybe you can persuade a lower overall price.

In regards to reconfiguring with higher legs, that's a very viable possibility and worth serious consideration. As far as opting for a firmer cushion, now comes deeper thought. Many customers requested on their own to upgrade the foam. Personally, I've always felt the end result made for much too firm bordering uncomfortable.

Of course you know that you will end up with a beautiful custom sofa and if it's an older piece, probably better than anything that can be purchased new. I, so many times, thought if people saw the guts of their pieces for which they paid good money, they'd die.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I don't like Microfiber, I like natural fabrics.
    The guy is going to charge you $1800.00 my gosh that's a lot of money.

The woman I used told me how much fabric I needed and I picked it out and would take it to her. Last time she charged me $425.00 for a sofa with some horse hair in it, it weights a ton. You know that was a lot of work and it turned out beautifully. She retired darn it.

But $1800.00 is way too much IMO.

• kathleenca
    13 years ago

I sure would talk with another upholsterer.

• sadie709
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will get a second opinion and check out other fabric. I was not sold on microfiber and after reading your comments I will look for something else. He wants to add 5 inches in height. 2 in the cushions and 3 extra inches in the leg.
    I would love mohair velvet but I would have to find the fabric, I'm sure his markup would take the cost over the top.

Twizzis, the total cost is 1800. The cost to buy a similar custom sofa would be 3500 in his opinion. I know that these old couch frames are worth recovering and I dont mind spending some money to do it right. I have a hard time envisioning the end product. I can go in a furniture store and sit on 12 couches and not like the feel of any of them. How do I know when I sit on this one I will like it after spending all this money?

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I've been wrecking my brain trying to figure out what a MCM sofa is. I know it can't stand for McMansion sofa or Mom's camel back something or other. So, will someone fill in the blanks for me?

M-----C--------M

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

Mid Century Modern - in other words, something from the time-frame of 1940-1960, I presume. I have visions of the furniture in our house back in the 50's.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Thanks Nanny for clearing that up. Yes, I know the furniture.

....Jane

• enigmaquandry
    13 years ago

I am a professional upholsterer with an online shop (I'm Reclaim the Throne on Etsy) and I have to say that the price is probably fair IF the piece has a lot of detail and tufting. Being mid-century modern though, I would be surprised if it had these details, in which case your upholsterer is overcharging you (unless his price included all materials).

I must say I have NEVER behaved that way to a client and it's inexcusable, I'll make recommendations that have to do with how the new job will hold up and what techniques will wrap idiosyncrasies etc. but certainly not in creative areas (like fabric) unless asked. He may be covering for some insufficiencies in his abilities (some people will try to talk you out of certain techniques if the are unable to do them). Get another quote!

Also, maybe look for people (like me) without brick and mortar shops in your area, we have no overhead so we are much less expensive typically...maybe even Craigslist will have some starter-outers advertising. A startup is a great way to get a good deal, and more precise work more than likely (when you're first starting you'd better do your best!).

If you have an air compressor and don't mind devoting a weekend you could do it yourself! I'd be happy to talk you through it if you're interested :)

• yogacat
    13 years ago

I don't like microfiber, which is basically very thin polyester. To be fair, I don't like synthetic fabrics period.

Anytime someone starts pushing a particular product, I get suspicious and want to know why. In this case, I bet the upholsterer has a ton of that fabric because of a good deal or a canceled order and it trying to unload it.

Changing the thickness of cushion cores might be ok if it looks like the existing ones have flattened out with wear. If this is the case, the cushion covers will be wrinkled and possibly loose. You could simulate the cushion change by putting blankets under the seat cushions.

Adding 3 inches to the legs is questionable. I just bought a very traditional chair with a seat height of 20 inches. That's a bit high for even traditional furniture. MCM is usually a lot lower than traditional. 3 inches is 4% of 72 inches. That's a lot. At the very least, measure the current seat height for a sanity check.

If you like the current proportions of the sofa, think about what raising the whole frame 3 inches will do. You could actually test this by putting the sofa on blocks or old paperback books.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

My vote is:

No microfiber;
    Ditch the skirt; and
    Go with the firmer custions.

If you could post a picture, it might alter my opinion, but not about the microfiber or the skirt.

• sadie709
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Enigma your very sweet, but if I tried to do this myself it would never get done. Plus I'm a perfectionist and could never do it to suit me. The cost included the fabric. His labor to recover is $800. He has a shop and overhead. He is the "guy in town" has an excellent reputation and did the first recover of the couch 30 years ago in a beautiful wheat chenille. I'm actually OK with his labor cost. He suggested the microfiber and said it wears well and is a very modern look. He has hundreds of fabric books and I can order anything I want.
    It is the whole changing the look of the couch I'm not sure about. I can't imagine the couched perched on these higher legs without a skirt. I can see it low to the ground without the skirt. I would consider thicker cushions if they were comfortable.
    Enigma how do I pick the cushion? Can he get down cushions for the couch? How do I know what to tell him about cushions. The ones on the couch after thirty years are quite thin and out of shape. But the couch is still very comfortable to sit on. I have sat on couches with thicker cushions and feel like I'm going to slide right off onto the floor. Is that a thickness issue or is it the quality of the cushion?
    Yoga the couch does sit lower than most by a few inches. I think because my mom lives with me and she is in her 70's he may be trying to accommodate for her but is too polite to say so to her face. She never sits on the couch, she has her chair.
    I know I have to have a talk with him, I just want to be educated enough to ask him the right questions. I appreciate all your comments and suggestions.
    Sadie

• fillagirl
    13 years ago

Just an fyi...when I was looking at couches, someone advised that some micro-fibres leave "butt marks" after you sit on them. You may want to test the fabric out before proceeding....

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

About cushions...
    A good cushion should allow you to sink into it a little bit, without making the corners lift up, and still feel supportive and firm beneath you. It should not stay completely squashed when you get up, nor should it pop back like a rubber ball. How tight the finish cover is will affect this some, and is a matter of style preference...but it shouldn't strain at the seams, or look too rumply and out of shape after you've been sitting there.

(Enigma, you can check me on this next bit, and make sure I'm not leading us astray...it's been a while since I was in the business of specifying these things.)
    There are many grades and types. The most common is a core of dense foam wrapped with layers of batting and covered with muslin. The comfort and wear are dependent on the quality of those materials, the thickness of the batting, and the skill of the maker.
    The highest quality is spring-down, which involves inner springs and a down "blanket" on the surfaces...also muslin-covered.
    Some makers use a slightly thinner solid foam core covered in a blanket filled with a chopped foam and feather mixture that is a bit more resilient than down, and the muslin.

• enigmaquandry
    13 years ago

bronwynsmom, you're right! It's important NOT to skimp on "stuffings", make sure to use good quality HIGH density foam, others will deteriorate.

Sadie, if that's the case I'd say the price for his labor is VERY fair, the fabric seems a little expensive, is it possible he's taking a cut of the fabric sale? (Like on ebay where the seller makes the money on the shipping.). If so maybe you could look into buying your fabric independently and bringing it to him, microfiber is not very expensive material. It sounds like you might be leaning away from it (not a fan myself) but if you want it for its durability you can find a more "matte" version that wont show body marks as badly.

Let him know you're a perfectionist, I like to hear what my clients are expecting, some people use upholsterers because they prefer a more "handmade" look, others expect perfection...it's good to know beforehand! Good luck :)

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Sounds like you have a nice MCM couch, so I suggest not changing the height or lines at all. Try to stick with a fabric that was similar to the original or replicates it. Certainly firm cushions would make it more comfortable for you and that shouldn't change the the style, so seems reasonable. Research and buy your own material and cover the labor of $800. Be sure to get EVERYTHING in writing...just my thoughts. :-)

• barb5
    13 years ago

After that post by Bronwynsmom, I had to go look up the cushions in the sofa I bought last year. It is a Southwood sofa, and yes, the cushions have springs in them.

Now I know why this is the most comfortable sofa I have ever had! I have to fight the dogs to sit or lie on it. They never are on the other furniture, just this sofa. And I beeline for it too.

If you can get the spring wrapped cushions, I would go for it. IMHO, for a sofa that you are going to keep around for a long time, it is worth it.

• sadie709
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I spoke with the upholsterer yesterday about cushions. He can do the spring cushions at $150 per cushion. OUCH. I also had him check on a cotton velvet. (add'l $300 upgrade) He doesn't like cotton velvet because it wrinkles and crushes with a lot of wear. He loves the microfiber and says it wears like iron and thinks it would be a great match for the couch style. So I think we are leaving the legs alone. Doing the microfiber. Adding spring cushions. I will try and post a picture when done. He cant start the couch until the end of Septerber so it may be a while.
    Thanks again for your help.

• barb5
    13 years ago

I wonder if, once you have these wrapped spring cushions, if that is that. I mean, if the sofa gets reupholstered again, does one have to redo the cushions and the springs, or do they just have to have the fabric redone?

If once you have them, that is that, it would take some of the pain out of the $150/cushion price. Especially, if you are like me, and keep sofas for 25+ years.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

I can confirm what fillagirl said about "butt marks". I have a tan microfiber sofa (supposed to look like suede) which I bought when "neutralizing" my last house to sell, and it has just sort of hung around since then... Anyway, there are definitely butt marks on it.

I say keep your cushion soft if that's how you like it. I had a favorite most comfortable chair reupholstered. I told the upholsterer I wanted it to have the same feel as it has now, and really not to change a single thing (stuffing) but just to upholster over it as I loved how it sat. He totally ignored me and put the "higher quality" (read: harder) stuff in it, and it as you so perfectly put it, you "perch" on it instead of sink down into it.

You should say what you want, and the upholsterer can make other recommendations but should not be arguing with you about it which is very bad form for any business.

• nanjean68
    13 years ago

I just got a quote for my Century Furniture 90" 6 cushions for labor only - $850. I'm choosing a velvet blend. For me it's worth it. There is nothing worse than sitting in a sofa and not being able to get up. We're at that age! If I were you, I'd try and sell it and then maybe try the furniture outlets in North Carolina. Nothing like American made. I bought a chair last year by Thomasville made in China. It went back. The workmanship was awful.

• Claire Buoyant
    13 years ago

Here is my 'before' and 'after' done 4 years ago for $1,400 including fabric and new cushions. Your project sounds very similar. I love the microfiber, maybe there are different grades.

• Claire Buoyant
    13 years ago

Just noticed the lining under the cushions shows a little in the "after" picture. This photo was taken right after it was delivered and I guess the cushions hadn't 'settled'. The lining doesn't show at all now.