Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natura Latex Pillow

Posted by holly-kay (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 9:19

I love it! Tib suggested it and after I researched many of the pillow suggestions the Latex pillow seemed to be the way to go.

I received it Tuesday and Tuesday evening while I was reading in bed I realized that I wasn't shifting around to find a comfortable position for my head and no damp feeling from an overheated pillow.

The pillow isn't as heavy as my Tempur-Pedic pillows that feel like I am moving a sack of potatoes. The loft is amazing, so much so that the first night I thought it may be too high and I should have checked to see if they had one that had a bit lower profile. I needn't have worried as I slept like a baby.

Bpathome, the pillows that you described must be latex as my pillow is exactly as you described. As soon as I take my head off the pillow it springs right back into shape!

A great big thank you to Tib for recommending a pillow that actually is comfortable!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natura Latex Pillow

I would love some nice, new latex pillows for my bed.

Can you show us exactly which one you purchased with a link?

Thanks!

o

Here is the link Red. I bought the queen size. The pillow comes packaged in a nice canvas carry tote so I can take my pillow with me when I travel.

I bought mine through Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultimate Latex

o

holly -was there much of a smell with this pillow initiallly?

o

I can't wait to hear what you think of it. I tried a shredded latex pillow the other day and wasn't impressed. But the pillows I have are awful - I've got to do something!!

o

Best, there was zero odor. I am very sensitive to smells. I have to hold my breath and scurry past candle stores. When I took delivery of my beloved tempur-pedic mattress the smell lingered for months. I was so pleasantly surprised to find no odor as this was my first latex pillow and I was concerned about the possibility.

Sj this latex is not shredded. Believe me I have spent a small fortune on finding the perfect pillow and this is a winner. WTBS, pillows are such a personal choice matter. What one person loves another will hate. This is the first time in many, many years that I haven't had to fight my pillow to get comfortable.

o

Yay!! I'm SO glad you love it, Holly!

Just as I said: no off-gassing with the natural latex (Talalay process), firm yet soft (do you see what I meant when I said it's kind of hard to describe?), and it's amazing how it springs back, isn't it? Mine STILL does. IMO, it really allows you to literally "rest your head". No ear pain from it being too hard after a while; you can breathe because it doesn't cover your face when you lie sideways like soft pillows do, firm yet soft.

I do sometimes have to shift it back between my shoulder, up against my neck, and head, but when it is in that perfect position, there is no more comfortable pillow.

I'm very, very relieved you like it, HK.

o

Holly Kay, I've been following along your pillow search as I too have spent a small fortune on pillows over the past few years. Tired of never getting a good nights rest and having a stiff neck all the time. Your review pushed me over the edge and I hit the "buy" button! Thanks for taking the time to post your experience. I hope it ships fast. There was only one shipping option and it said 4-14 business days. Crossing my fingers that this pillow will be THE one!

o

Tannatonk, let us know what you think of it once you get it and sleep on it a couple of nights.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 17:44

o

Tib, I knew you would be pleased. Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that Tanna will love hers as much as I love mine.

It really is difficult to describe the feel of the pillow. It is so soft yet totally supportive. I love how it just springs right back into shape.

Last night I put my kindle down to just rest my eyes for a few moments and woke up a few hours later feeling like I was sleeping on a cloud. Thanks again Tib!

o

Most welcome, Holly. and your pillow will be as it is today years from now. It can get splits in it, no idea how, but they have no impact at all.

It's a tad unnerving when someone buys something on your review/recommendation, esp. something as personal as a pillow. Hopefully Tannatonk will be as pleased as you are, and I am.

But you sound very enthusiastic. If you Google reviews of the Ultimate, you'll see they're excellent as well. I'm glad I kept my little standard one, the first one I ordered which is teeny, because it's perfect for naps on the couch!

o

Tib, I wish I had time for naps on the couch. Maybe when I retire.

Tib, I forget the two mattress pads you recommended. I need to replace the one that I bought when I purchased the mattress. I want either wool or cotton and preferably waterproof because my DGSs sometimes want to climb into bed when they sleep over. Their overnight accidents are getting few and far between but I'm not taking a chance!

o

HK, I'm not sure I'd recommend the mattress pads. I absolutely LOVE the cotton, skirt less pad from Soaring Heart. Surprisingly doesn't crease, but it's soft and comfortable, and you just pick it up, wash it, and put it back down - like the old-fashioned ones. However, it was pricey when I bought it from Soaring Heart (it was the only place I could find a skirtless, 100% cotton pad, but there has to be more places!), at $110. Now it's $245! Absurd. I also just now went on the site and they don't even seem to have them any longer, which is a very new thing.

The other was the St. Dormier pad, which is 100% cotton terry cloth with wool fill. It is not a thick fill, though. I also love it, but I'm not sure it's worth the price tag either. I bought mine via Laughlin Designs, which has it now for $189, but this site has it, in queen, for $159. It is machine washable.

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Dormier wool pillow protector and pad

o

Btw, I wouldn't get a waterproof mattress pad. For comfort and temperature control, you really do want pure wool or cotton.

Go to a fabric store and get a piece of that flannel covered plastic, and just put it down under the mattress pad in the spot where you GS sleeps, when he's there. Take it off when he's gone.

One nice thing about the St. Dormier pad is that it's easy to wash, not bulky like a lot of mattress pads.

o

Holly, I checked the tags on the pillows and one says "white goose down", the other simply "goose down". They are slightly different, but both nice. I gave one up to our guest room while DMIL was here, but now I have it back...aaaahhh.

It's time for new pillows for my kids (and the guest room) so I think the Natura is going into my "shopping cart".

BTW re GKs, when the kids were little we traveled with a crib-size flannel-covered-vinyl waterproof pad. Easy to pack, kept the bed dry.

o

Tib and BP thank you! The small crib pad would be perfect. That way I can easily slip it out when DGSs leave.

Tib, I think Natura has wool mattress covers, maybe that is the way I will go. Now I just need to look for reviews.

BTW, I had another heavenly night's sleep and the Natura is hands down the best pillow ever for reading in bed. Tricia Rose recommends using bolsters to fill the space between mattress and headboard so I may try that.

BP, I always loved down pillows. When I was a little girl my DGM used to make feather pillows for me. I can remember them poking though the ticking at times. They were sharp little buggers but I loved that I had pillows that my DGM made for me.

o

HK, shove your old memory foam pillow into that space between the mattress and headboard until it is level with the top of the mattress. Or another piece of foam.

Natura has the wool-filled cotton pad, no skirt. I'd check that out. Unfortunately, it's cotton sateen. But with a fitted sheet over it, it probably doesn't make a difference. It's also probably wickedly expensive. I bought the Natura wool-filled "Classic Comfort Plus Mattress Topper" about five years ago. I love it, but that is not what you want because it's not machine washable. It's very thick and dense.

You'd want the "Washable Wool Mattress Pad" or , truly yummy, the "Reversable Wool on Top Mattress Pad". Those are to die for comfortable!

FYI: I loathed using a bolster. Get either a reading wedge or just put a piece of foam between the mattress and headboard, level with the mattress. Bolsters are terrible.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 10:11

o

Thanks Tib. There really is no space between my mattress and headboard. I think that she recommended a bolster to make the back pillow slope. The Natura pillow is so cushy I probably don't need a bolster.

I'll let you know what I find in the way of mattress pads.

o

The small crib pad would be perfect

Along with the Natura pillow, which I'm hoping to find in a B&M store tomorrow so I can try it, I'm putting this on my "grandma to be list" (October!)

o

Are Natura products sold in any brick-and-mortar stores?

o

SJ, I looked on natura website and they don't give a list of retailers though I would think that bedding stores would carry them.

o

sj, I know Mattress Giant carries their pillows, or some of them, or at least did when I was looking for a pillow.

o

You've got me interested in this pillow. Is this the one (see link below)?
A couple questions...
Holly - on another post, did you mention that you took the outer cover off? Was it a little too warm?

Tibbrix - " It can get splits in it, no idea how, but they have no impact at all." Splits in the outer fabric? Or the inside core?

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon - Natura Ultimate Natural Latex Queen

o

Laurie, yes, that is the pillow, although I'd get this one, from Wayfair. The one on the Amazon site has seams in the cover. Mine don't and neither does the one on Wayfair, which is how Natura sells them.

The splits are in the latex of the pillow itself, not the cover. But, like I said, they have absolutely no effect on the pillow.

I also put a cotton pillow case on the pillow, in addition to the terry cover that comes with it. It is not a hot pillow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natura Ultimate via Wayfair

o

Laurie, I kept the terry cover on it I was going to buy my Natura from Wayfair but purchased it through Synergy on Amazon because I had enough bonus dollars to totally cover the price of the pillow. It was $105 with free shipping. That worked out to be more expensive than ones that charged shipping but Synergy had a 100% satisfaction rating. I had a confirmation email from Synergy very shortly after placing my order and their 100% satisfaction rating is well deserved.

Tib, I ordered another for DH last night. I am thinking about getting one for all my children and their spouses for Christmas that's how much I love mine. Thank you again for your suggestion!

o

Tib - Thanks for the link. I do see the difference (stitching) you're talking about. Good to know the splits in the latex part of the pillow have no negative effect. That's helpful to hear you use an additional (cotton) cover over the terry one and that it's not a hot pillow.

Holly - Thanks for your order info. Great use of your bonus dollars : )
Good gift idea,too....I'm sure your family members will be appreciative!

o

Forgive me for repeating myself:

As I said, I originally ordered the standard, which in Canadian sizes is very small and appropriate for a very small adult or a child. I now keep that one on my sofa for couch potato-ing.

My neighbor's 11 year old daughter came over one day and plopped down on the sofa and put her head on the pillow and bounced back up and asked what the pillow was, that it was a really nice pillow, etc. She started mentioning it frequently, so last December, I secretly let her mother know what the pillow was in case they wanted to get one for her for either Christmas or Hanukkah (they celebrate both). Her mother got it for her ,and she loves it. So I think they make a great gift. Although, again, with pillows, you just never know since they're a matter of such personal taste.

Laurie, if you get one, be sure to let us know what you think of it.

HK, I hope hubby likes it!

o

overstock has them.

o

Holly, I read your post and decided to take the chance once again, I've given away four pillows so far. It arrived today and I used it to rest this afternoon as I broke my wrist a few days ago. All 9can say is THANK YOU!!!!!! I LOVE IT. Thanks to Tib also.

o

Isn't it great, yaya? And no smell or off-gassing, right? See what we mean by it's hard to describe how it can be soft AND supportive at the same time? But it is!

Very glad you like it!

o

YaYa, I am so glad you like your new pillow. Isn't it heavenly? Tib made such a great recommendation. Prayers for a quick recovery of your broken wrist.

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Laurie likes her pillow as much as we all like ours, and that SJ found one and likes it as well.

If anyone else is considering a purchase of Natura products, Greg from Synergy Health was fantastic to work with. He has an online store through Amazon. I love to buy goods in brick and mortar stores but I didn't have time to go searching. They do have a brick and mortar store in Greensboro NC but I am in PA.

Tib, I am wondering about the standard size you have. Is it a good bit smaller than US standard? I ask because I want to buy new pillows for my darling grandsons and I think the queen size would be too big but I want a regular standard size pillow case to work on it. Do you think it would be too small. The boys are 8 and almost 7.

o

Holly and Tib, I missed this thread earlier. Do you think the latex pillow has enough support that someone who usually uses a contoured pillow could use them? I have some neck issues and have only been able to use those contoured pillows for more than a decade. It bugs me to make a nice bed and have that smaller than standard pillow on my king bed. Most important thing is that I can sleep and not hurt though. If in doubt, I'll stick with what I know. My son has a latex mattress, but none of our pillows are latex.

o

lascatx, it's really impossible to say w/o trying it. The Ultimate is a very supportive pillow, but if you need fortification under your neck, I'm not sure it is enough. I like my neck to be supported, but I do have to pull the pillow under my neck periodically to get that support. When I'm in that position, it is soooo comfortable. Problem is, it doesn't necessarily hold.

I'd try and find a brick and mortar that sells them and try one out if you can.

holly-kay, if anything, it would be too big for children of 7 and 8, which of course means they'll grow into it, and by the time they're 15, it'll be too small for them!

I just remember opening it up and thinking, "thes is for a child!" Doesn't have the loft of the Queen. I think it would be fine for kids of 7 and 8.

o

Lascatx, this pillow is the most supportive that I have ever tried but agree with Tib that without trying it you won't know. Perhaps you could purchase one for your DH and then try his. I swear I sleep the night through without shifting.

I just found out last evening that they have the ultimate latex in a low profile. The lower one probably would be even better for me because I am a side sleeper. I tried to change my order but it had just shipped.

o

ty Holly for the good thoughts.

o

Holly, I wonder why the Natura Web Site doesn't have all that info. right there, i.e.: a low-profile Ulitmate? How did you find that out? I wonder why that kind of info. isn't more readily available.

Since you're giving these as gifts, can you give your Ultimate to, say, a man, i.e.: someone with broader shoulders, or a heavier person, and get yourself the low-profile?

o

Tib, that is exactly what I was thinking. I agree that Natura's website is not very helpful. I saw a low profile version on Amazon and wanted to confirm it with Natura. They replied that indeed they did have the Ultimate in a low profile version. They came out with it last year which tells you they don't put much thought into updating their website.

I love my new pillow and I know DH will love his but I think I may give my pillow to DSIL. He is a muscular broad shouldered man so I think it will work perfectly for him. He also has severe allergies so I think The latex pillow will be a godsend for him.

o

I think that's a good idea. He'd need the loft.

When I bought my Ultimate, there was not wool liner, just the terry cloth cover, so I think that is a new thing as well, but they have that on the Web site!

Natura's gonna love you!

o

That's for sure. Honestly though bedding is so important to how you feel and perform each day so I don't mind paying for the quality.

My DD redecorated DGS room. When I was looking at it the other day I saw how lumpy his sleeping pillow is and it has been bugging me ever since. I'm not even going to wait until Christmas to get pillows for the boys.

o

Holly's on a roll…or a pillow, as the case may be!

Waiting to hear from Yayagal, Tanna, and Laurie - if she got one - as to how they like them. Yaya slept on hers for the first time last night, I guess.

Agree re: spending $$ on beds and bedding, if you have to, for comfort…within reason! Disagree with spending money on things like faucets, gourmet ovens..the yuppie nonsense (apologies if I just offended anyone. Just my opinion. Please reject).

o

I placed an order last night for one (queen size). Looking forward to giving it a try.

I have read the Rough Linen post & now considering a simple pillow slip for it : )
Their queen pillow slip is 20" x 30". I ordered a free sample card of the fabrics.

Laurie

o

Laurie, I love my pillow slips! I am hoping you love your new pillow as much as Tib, YaYa, and I love ours and what a wonderful way to up the comfort with a linen pillow slip.

o

Bedding and footwear - get good stuff, even if it costs some $$.

o

All, I bought a pillow yesterday (not a Natura :-( . I love it. I've posted a picture because one of the things I like so much about it is the feel of the cover - its organic cotton, but soft and with bumps (kind of like chenille).

Can anyone recommend a pillowcase that is made out of a similar fabric?

o

SJ, so glad you found something that you love! I like the way the bottom is scooped for your shoulder to fit in. Enjoy!

I wish I could help in regards to a pillow case but I don't know of any that are made from a chenille type fabric

o

holly-kay, the same pillow comes in a traditional shape -- but the shape of this pillow is what I love about it!

o

Removed double post.

This post was edited by holly-kay on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 16:43

o

FWIW, I had my daughter test my new pillow (on the sofa, I told I wasn't giving it to her for overnight!) and she thought it was comfortable, but doesn't like the shape at all.

o

SJ, is it the appearance or the function of the shape that she doesn't like? It seems that the curve in it would be very accommodating.

How did your pillow work out last night? I'm hoping it was comfy.

o

The pillow is so comfy I didn't want to get out of bed this morning!

Good question about my DD - I think she likes neither the appearance nor the shape. I don't like the appearance, but the shape is VERY accommodating. I might get her the same pillow (or the one you all got - another question follows) in a regular shape.

Re the Natura Ultimate - how thick is the pillow when its just sitting on the bed? Does anyone know how thick the thinner version is?

o

SJ, It is very thick. I probably should have purchased the low profile but didn't even know a low profile was available until a sidebar ad popped up when I was web surfing. I sent an email to Natura and they confirmed it. I will see if I can find dimensions on both.

o

SJ I found the dimensions on the queen regular profile and the thickness is 6.5 inches. I found dimensions on a standard size low profile and the thickness was listed at 4". Even though I think the lower profile might have worked better I can't say for sure as my pillow is the most comfortable I've ever owned. DH's pillow is still in transit and I have been too selfish to let him try mine.

I take that back. UPS just delivered my second pillow from Synergy. I am anxious for DH to sleep on it tonight!

o

My DH has severe osteoarthritis in his neck, and woke up this morning complaining, (again), of a miserable night sleeping. I just ordered one of the Natura Latex Ultimate Queen size pillows for him. Once he has tried it out, I will let you know if this is a solution for him, I sure hope so! He has been so miserable for months now.

o

nanny, the Natura pillow will give his head really great support and align his head and neck. He will have to, occasionally, pull the bottom of the pillow back between his head and neck to keep that support, but it's nothing annoying like having to constantly fluff and pillow or punch it. Just a tug while you're sleeping.

I hope it works for him!

SJ, I think the regular Natura Ultimate is probably best for people with broad shoulders, wide hips, etc. For a petite person, definitely get the low-profile.

o

Thanks Tibbrix. We're all on the small side, so if I decide to get my DH and/or DD new pillows (they're not fussing for them the way I was, but I'm so happy with mine, I think everyone should have one!), I'll go for the low profile.

o

Arrrrrg. I just opened the Natura pillow for DH and the terry cover is quilted. The one that I got is a plain terry and I assumed this one would be plain also. He probably won't care but I don't like that it has the quilting as it doesn't appear to have any purpose. Darn it! Why would you add quilting to a cover when it is nothing but appearance?

o

holly, I noticed on the Natura site that another style has the quilted cover while the Ultimate has the quilted one. Someone above linked to an Ultimate, with a pic that had it with the quilted cover, and I suggested I think getting it though Wayfair, where it seems to have the plain cover.

I wonder why it interchanges? I wonder if Natura can explain. I think when you're putting your face on something for 8 hours, you don't want quilting! Imagine what you might look like when you get up in the morning! I could be wrong, though, and it might not make one iota of difference.

o

Tib, they must be interchangeable because both pillows are definitely the Ultimate. I purchased them both from Synergy but they were drop shipped directly from Natura. I wonder if I sent an email if they would send me a plain terry cover? I won't be sleeping on this one because it's the one I bought for DH. The quilting is just a flat decorative stitch but I agree that it could cause marks sleeping on it all night. Since I changed to the linen pillow slips I haven't had marks on my face in the morning. That has been a pleasant change.

o

I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to exchange the quilted one for a plain.

o

Nanny, I so hope the latex pillow gives your DH some relief. I find it very soft and yet very supportive. I can't say that I have to adjust mine at all. Once I get into my comfort spot that's it.

SJ, I was just re-reading this post and saw you mentioned you becoming a grandmother. Congratulations! I can't believe I missed that the first time. You have many fun years ahead of you! Being a grandmother is the best experience ever! I love being Nana to my three boys!

o

I ordered through Wayfair as suggested by Tib because the Amazon
photo was quilted. I don't know if it (quilting) would make that much difference, but hoping for the smooth.

It's supposed to ship this Friday. I'll post back when it arrives.

o

I don't have a headboard, so maybe that's why I have to adjust my pillow under my neck periodically. Hoping to get a headboard this year.

o

For people interested in trying a latex pillow in person, I bought mine several years ago at Original Mattress Factory. They carry the Rejuvenite brand but it sounds very similar. I bought the low profile version after testing out both styles. I love it and use it every night.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pillow

o

Thanks Newgardener. I will keep that brand in mind also. I just bought a pillow for each of my DGS and bought a brand other than Natura on overstock. It was also talaly latex but less expensive.

Tib I sent Natura an email requesting a plain terry cover. I'm anxious to see their reply.

o

Thanks for the good wishes holly-kay! Needless to say, we're very excited.

o

DH doesn't like the pillow. Even though he has broad shoulders he said the pillow lifts his head too high. I will use them both on my side of the bed.

I find that pillows are one of the most difficult thing to get right. At least I have found my perfect pillow.

o

Wow. Bummer about DH. Are you sure he's not just protesting all of your recent perfect-bed expenditures?!

Lol. I know some men who are like that!

o

I don't think so. He never protests when I spend. Thank goodness because it's been an expensive year and a half.

I got quite an interesting response from Natura World this morning. The cs rep claimed that they made the change to the quilted cover 4 to 6 weeks ago because they are now using a bit more wool in the quilted cover. She also said that the original terry, that had been used for well over 10 years, had changed in quality and was just not up to par. They no longer have terry covers.

How disappointing. I take it then that my first pillow has a sub-standard pillow cover on it? This is frustrating as no one will know when they order which cover they will be getting. The terry cover on my pillow certainly doesn't look sub-standard and I am very persnickety.

A word to anyone ordering is ask which cover it will have. I don't know which is worse, a supposedly inferior cover or a quilted cover that you aren't expecting?

o

Another note. I got a follow up email from Synergy Health, the company I ordered the pillows through. He assured me that when the sub par terry cloth came in it wasn't used. He also said Natura stands behind their quality. That has eased my mind!

o

We're away for a 5 nights. I needed to check a bag anyway so I brought my pillow with me!

o

I finally received my pillow yesterday. Ordered from Amazon seller Portlight. Took awfully long to ship IMO, but the pillow is awesome. Hope it lives up to the hype and I still feel that way a month from now. I ordered the queen size Ultimate plush. I didn't feel it was too high and slept very well. Tiny bit of odor upon opening the plastic bag it was wrapped in but I can't detect it at all today. Sweet dreams everyone!

o

This thread has been very helpful! I realized recently that my nice, firm Ralph Lauren pillow is not as nice as it once was, so I'm checking out other pillow types before I buy.

I need a low loft, firm pillow that is comfortable but doesn't allow my head to sink down into the pillow - I have asthma and fill like I'm being suffocated by a big marshmallow if the pillow is too soft.

Since I live near the Synergy Health company in Greensboro, I have emailed them with my questions. I worry about spending $$+$ for a Natura latex pillow only to find it is too soft for me.

Any opinions?
Teresa

o

Teresa, talk to Greg at Synergy and ask him what he recommends. The latex ultimate is very supportive but feels very cushy. My head doesn't sink down into it at all but if you can try it IRL I would do that before purchasing. Make sure you ask for the low profile and not the regular.

o

Thanks very much for the advice, Holly! I just realized that this current pillow is probably over 18 years old and the foam rubber pillow before it saw me through high school, college, and many years of marriage. I guess I keep sleep pillows for a long, long time. So maybe the extra cost of the Natura latex pillow will be money well spent.

Teresa

o

teresa, one thing I love about my Natura Ultimate is precisely that, while it is very supportive of my head, the rest of the pillow doesn't fold over and block my nose, i.e.: breathing. That drove me nuts with down pillows. Pillows that didn't do that were too firm or hard and my ear on which I was lying would start hurting.

Agree with Holly-kay though: if you're able to try out a pillow before buying it, absolutely do so.

Tannatonk, your Ultimate will be exactly as it is today a month from now, three years from now…this pillow keeps its shape! Let us know tomorrow how your first night sleeping on it was.

o

Thanks, tibbrix! I refuse to sleep on a down pillow with my allergies, so I travel with my own pillow from home which I shove down into a protective drawstring bag.

Now that I have confessed all my phobias concerning sleep pillows, it's no wonder I've only had 3 pillows (that I remember) and I will be 67 next month. Ha!

Teresa

o

Teresa, If you order the Natura pillow it comes in a handled canvas tote so you can easily travel with it. My DSIL suffers from allergies and I am going to get a Natura Ultimate for him.

o

Teresa, I just got my second Natura pillow but this one was much less $, only 39.00 and I bought it for my sun
room when relax in there. I can attest that it feels exactly like the pricey one but it has a plain cotten cover which is fine by me. Trying that one first might give you the pillow you want. I bought it on Overstock.

o

YaYa, what is the other pillow called? Holy cow I would have gladly given up the terry cover to save that much. My DSIL won't give a hoot if the cover is terry or cotton.

o

Holly, I think Overstock has the Ultimate called the "Ideal".

o

Thanks Tib.

o

Based on all of the great reviews here, I bought one of the Natura pillows. I received it yesterday and tried it for the first time last night. I'm sorry to say that it squishes down too much and causes my neck to bend wrong. Maybe I have an exceptionally heavy head? So, I'll put in with the guest pillows and go back to my Homedics pillows.

o

fun2bhere, which pillow did you get? That would not be the case with the Ultimate.

o

Sadly, it is the Natura Ultimate, Queen Size.

o

Overstock has one called Natura World Ideal Low Profile Latex for $89.99 (queen). The Ultimate Low Profile on Amazon is $109. I don't see one called the Ideal on the Natura website. I wonder if it's the same pillow under a different name? Maybe a discontinued one?

Here is a link that might be useful: OS Natura Ideal Low Profile

This post was edited by msrose on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 14:28

o

I'm really amazed your head sunk that much in the Ultimate. IF anything, I'd think the problem would be too much loft. Feel bad it didn't work out for you; it's not an inexpensive pillow.

o

It was worth a shot, Tibbrix, as a good night's sleep is worth any price. I'll be anxious for my father to try it on his next visit. Maybe he will fall in love with it and have to take it home with him...lol.

o

I think the Ideal is the low-profile Ultimate.

Well, Fun2BHere, let's hope, then, that you got your bowling-ball head from your mother and not your father.

Lol.

o

I have quite a pillow collection, but still end up sleeping on my hand, trying to make my neck comfortable. I often wake up with neck pain, so I'm really interested in these pillows.
But I'm puzzled. I slept on foam rubber pillows as a kid and for many years after, until they disappeared from stores. They were inexpensive, and they needed to be, because they rotted. Eventually the latex foam turns yellow and becomes dry and crumbly. I haven't seen any discussion of this on the latex mattress web sites.

o

Actually, Tibbrix, I think I inherited my head from my grandfather...just call us Charlie Brown look-alikes...lol.

o

Penney's has good foam pillows and it looks like most are on sale. Foam is all we've ever used on both sides of the family. They are comfortable and seem to last forever. Yes, they do eventually get crumbly but it takes years and years.

Most bedding departments have them and I like buying locally so I can easily return/exchange them if not right. I once bought a nice pair at a Macy's sale with such "loft" that it tilted my head forward enough to hurt my neck. Learned we need flatter ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penneys

o

My Natura Ultimate Latex pillow (Queen) arrived yesterday!
I ordered from Wayfair, & the pillow cover that came with it was quilted.
I am glad that this new pillow is larger than my old, but the only pillowcase I have that fits it is a Lands End flannel.

After sleeping on it, I can agree that it is VERY comfortable!
I like the firmness and the size. Even though I mainly sleep on my side, I did not buy the lower profile. I'm happy with this regular/higher profile. The quilting was not noticeable to me as I slept.

My only concern is that the pillow has a slight odor. Not bad enough to cause me to send it back, but I hope it eventually goes away (or lessens) over time. I took off the quilted cover to see if it was the source of odor, but it's not. I was hoping that all I needed to do was wash the cover.

IIRC, Tib also uses a cotton pillow protector (in addition to the cover that this pillow comes with). My old pillow protector is too small for this queen sized Natura pillow, so I'll need to get a new/larger pillow protector. Maybe the added protector will decrease the odor somewhat.

To sum up....I love this pillow very much! There is a slight odor, but the comfort this pillow provides is more important to me : )

o

Glad you love it, Laurie. I'm very surprised to hear there is an odor. Mine had none, and Holly_Kay said hers had no odor as well. I wonder if it was the packaging???

At any rate, even if it is the latex it will go away.

Actually, what I have on mine is a cotton pillow case, over the terrycloth case it came with.

o

Yes, I am surprised that your pillow had an odor. Mine had none at all. So glad that you love it! Tib gave us all a great recommendation.

o

I got the Natura Queen Ultimate Latex pillow yesterday. DH is the one with severe austeoarthritis in his neck, so the pillow was for him. He said he felt much better this am than most mornings, and I will report that he didn’t snore at all last night, which was a first! He’s been a heavy snorer for years and years, and it was a shock to have total silence in the bedroom last night. As a result, I slept very well, myself! Thumbs up for this pillow!

o

So glad, Nanny.

o

So glad Nanny, that is wonderful news! Since latex is hypoallergenic that may help with allergies that can cause snoring.

o

For those speaking of the foam pillows that would turn yellow and fall apart, that is Not Latex foam, it's a totally different foam which is why you can buy them from many stores for cheap. Real solid talalay latex pillows are never cheap. Totally different quality and feel. The latex mattresses are much much more expensive than any others. But they last much longer than the other mattresses too.

There's a variety of pricing on the latex pillows just make sure you get a solid talalay latex pillow and not a shredded center or micro bead which is very similar to the shredded center type.
If you search for them you can find talalay latex pillows in some local stores to try out.

o

Holly-Kay, I have been sleeping on a natural latex pillow all my life. When the pillows wore out, I bought new ones at Fortunoff. Then when the store closed I tried to sleep on other types of pillows but had problems sleeping. I now own 4 natural Talalay Latex pillows and love them so much. Thank you for the link in case mine ever need to be replaced. I sleep on a three layer split Queen Sized Talalay Latex Bed now since 2007 and love that also.

o

Lynn, I still love my natural latex pillows after several months of use. I Love them so much that I bought one for each of my DGS but bought them cheaper ones. Needless to say I now have to double spend because they were horrible. I have a Tempurpedic mattress now but a latex one sounds heavenly!

o

I have a Pure Latex Bliss pillow (pure talalay latex) in the High Profile Queen. I love the pillow but because it's so high (7") that means a queen size pillowcase is too short to cover the end, but a king pillowcase is quite a bit longer. They also make a Low Profile which is 5" high. Sounds as if the Pure Latex Bliss pillows run an inch higher than the Natura models.

The same problem occurs when trying to find a pillow protector. The pillow comes with a nice soft mini-quilted cotton one but of course it is not allergen-proof. These pillows are described as "mite resistant" which IMHO means it's still a smart idea to use a pillow protector. But again with jumbo pillows like these it appears to be pretty much impossible to get any kind of case that is neither too short nor too long, LOL

As for pricing, both sizes sell for $119 at the manufacturer's website, although Amazon has the high profile priced at $129. My local retailer sells the high for $129 and the low for $119.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here