Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lower level for melsouth (pics)

Posted by AnnieDeighnaugh (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 9:18

Melsouth, "Terrace level" pictures (I hate calling it a basement as it isn't!) We have a guest room with en suite bath, exercise room, music nook, and craft room as finished space....unfinished space on this level is a one car garage with work shop and a mechanical room.

Guest room with tray ceiling:

Exercise room with tray ceiling:

The ductwork is basically under the part with the beam...the rest of the ceiling is boxed out to make a tray....rather than an awkward bump that everyone looks at and says, "Oh there's the duct work."

Just to the left (a real mess so I didn't take a photo) where the carpet is, there is a recess for a music nook...change in color of walls and ceiling help to define that separate space though it is open.

Craft room has just a flat ceiling as it needed no duct work space.

Also, as we didn't want the lower level to feel like a basement, we put in a full open staircase from the foyer...no door, no narrow entrance. As you descend the stairs, you see light from the exercise room....as you go up the stairs you see light from the glass front door. It really makes it feel integral to the house and not a "basement".

The other thing I love that our architect did was, as I knew I wanted carpeted stairs, he built up the edges and put in the cherry trim, so the carpet nestles nicely on the stairs and doesn't need to do the "70's wrap" that an open step would've needed. It looks very finished.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lower level for melsouth (pics)

Absolutely gorgeous! Would you care to share your paint colors?

o

That's beautiful!

o

Thanks, flymom....all colors are BM.

Guest room: walls Pale Moon, ceiling Cumulus Cotton, trim super white
Exercise room: walls Palladian Blue, ceiling soffit Durango dust, tray ceiling Palladian blue, trim super white
Music nook: and around stair case walls and ceiling durango dust, trim super white
Craft room: walls Adobe beige, ceiling super white, trim bone

o

Annie,

Thanks so much for sharing your photos.
Your terrace level is just lovely!
It's light and open and inviting.
Yours is definitely not a typical "basement."

Due to our lot and the lay of our land, ours has little natural light, so it will never look like yours!
However, we hope to someday use our basement as much or more than the rest of the house.

I don't know why we didn't consider tray ceilings when we were building, but I think we could have them.
The bottom of the lowest duct work is between 8 and 9 feet high.
(This is a 10 ft. basement.)

Thanks again!
Your house is great!

MS

o

Thanks...I hope you can use some of the ideas. If you don't have natural light, be sure to use lots of Edison's light...

I remember one fairly small guest room in an interior basement space that Candice did that was maybe only 13x15...I counted and there were 21 separate sources of light!

o

Digging this up for Brad...
what is your ceiling height in the basement Annie? Is it 9'?

o

Yes it's 9' but it bumps up higher where the trays are.

o

You're one very lucky and talented lady. Just lovely.

o

Thanks for those pictures Annie - that does help. We are probably going with 9' in the basement as well.

And thanks kirkhall for the bump.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here