Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Lower level for melsouth (pics)

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

Melsouth, "Terrace level" pictures (I hate calling it a basement as it isn't!) We have a guest room with en suite bath, exercise room, music nook, and craft room as finished space....unfinished space on this level is a one car garage with work shop and a mechanical room.

Guest room with tray ceiling:

Exercise room with tray ceiling:

The ductwork is basically under the part with the beam...the rest of the ceiling is boxed out to make a tray....rather than an awkward bump that everyone looks at and says, "Oh there's the duct work."

Just to the left (a real mess so I didn't take a photo) where the carpet is, there is a recess for a music nook...change in color of walls and ceiling help to define that separate space though it is open.

Craft room has just a flat ceiling as it needed no duct work space.

Also, as we didn't want the lower level to feel like a basement, we put in a full open staircase from the foyer...no door, no narrow entrance. As you descend the stairs, you see light from the exercise room....as you go up the stairs you see light from the glass front door. It really makes it feel integral to the house and not a "basement".

The other thing I love that our architect did was, as I knew I wanted carpeted stairs, he built up the edges and put in the cherry trim, so the carpet nestles nicely on the stairs and doesn't need to do the "70's wrap" that an open step would've needed. It looks very finished.

Comments (9)