Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

'Children's' bedding for grownups too?

lucillle
12 years ago

It's time for a new bedding set and what with all the dreary economic news all over I want to set a mood that is light and airy and positive.

I have found a cute floral set I like but it is a 'children's' bedding set.

It is 'children's' adjective just for marketing, or were my decorating tastes supposed to change and didn't?

Comments (24)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Tell us what it is. These days, they make children's clothing and bedding very sophisticated. (Sometimes too grown up IMO) Maybe if we see it, we can give a better opinion. Then again, this is your bedroom, you only have to please yourself.

• roarah
    12 years ago

I think sometimes children's bedding only comes in twin or full size but otherwise it is still a lovely option. If you like it and it is available in your bed size there is nothing wrong with liking it! Young at heart is a wonderful way to live!!!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Hmmm...

Sometimes children's bedding is more lightweight, less substantial.

Thinking of spreads I bought my son though, they held up pretty well.

As long as it's not Hello Kitty (or racecars)! ;)

Yes, I think a "girls" floral spread could probably go anywhere.

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I love some of the bedding that is sold on the PB Kids and PB Teen sites. I think some of them would work well in a country, shabby chic or romantic bedroom for adults.

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    12 years ago

Lucille, you made me laugh. I recently recovered a chair and made new throw pillows for my living room. I adore my fabric. Daughter-in-law and Son did not appreciate my fabric choices to the degree that I did. When 5 year old granddaughter Lucy saw the chair and pillows, she squealed with delight, "Nana, this is just beeeeautiful!!" (hands clasped together, grinning from ear to ear). It occurred to me that perhaps my decorating tastes had arrested at the kindergarten level.

I'm happy, and so is Lucy!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

You betcha! PB kids/teens has gorgeous bedding.

• movinginva
    12 years ago

Good to know that I am not the only one. I have looked at bedding on PBKids/teen and I really like some of it. I like my bedroom to be a happy place, which is probably the reason why I navigate towards the PBKids/Teen section. It is sometimes hard to find those sorts of lively, cheerful colors and patterns in the 'grown-up' section. I personally think that marketing has something to do with the classification. I say definitely get it if you like it, and post a pic. I would love to see which one you picked.

• itltrot
    12 years ago

I've had the same concerns on bedding. So many "adult" bedding is neutral or muted and I want bedding to reflect who we are and I think we are fun and sassy. LOL

This is one of my favorite bedding sets that I'm told is to young for me. Boooo

Here is a link that might be useful: Hayley Mini Comforter

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

itltrot, I don't see anything childish about that Hayley Mini Comforter. Who told you that? Go for it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

itltrot, booo on whomever told you that bedding was too young for you. I think it is great looking and would be wonderful in the right space-yours maybe!!! I'm with schoolhouse-go for it!

• judithn
    12 years ago

Umm, hate to admit this but I LOVE the Very Hungry Caterpillar bedding from PBKids. It's all based on the children's book by (I think) Eric Carle. I won't tell my exact age, but let's just say I'm closer to being a PBGrandma than a PBKid.

Lucky for my husband it 1) doesn't come in King size and 2) Costs over a hundred bucks for a Full size sheet set.

I think Garnet Hill has a flannel set of sheets with cats being tangled in yard which I also love.

• baileyandbella
    12 years ago

I don't think the Hayley Mini Comforter is childish AT ALL!!!!

Go for it. :) :)

• lucillle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Company Kids floral quilt is on the way and I appreciate all the comments.
    I think it is going to look nice.
    Anniecat, I loved your story and I'm sure your fabric is beautiful:)

• User
    12 years ago

I would use whatever makes your heart sing and feels right to you regardless of where you find it. We did our office in some bright cheerful colors and prints and even though the whole room looks or feels more juvenile to me, it still makes us happy when we're in there.

• User
    12 years ago

Garnet Hill has great sales on their made in Portugal, 100% cotton bedding and they have especially good prices on their kids bedding, which they offer in twin, double and queen. All of our sheets are from GH cuz I like 100% cotton in a lower thread count and our current rotation includes 2 sets of GH "adult" bedding and 2 sets of GH kids bedding. The kid sheets sport red race cars and curly pink poodles (or maybe they're sheep, I'm not sure). We have used the kiddo bedding on our guest beds, much to the delight of our guests, who unfailingly comment on the whimsical nature of the sheets.

If it's not fun, why do it? (credit Jerry Greenfield)

sandyponder

• natal
    12 years ago

Recently bought a set of percale floral sheets from LL Bean. Haven't used anything but sateen and flannel solids for decades, although I used to always buy printed sheets.

Read a lot of reviews on different sites ... Penney's, PB, Company Store, Garnet Hill, Land's End ... and realized that it's pretty much a crap shoot when you buy sheets these days. This particular set had more good reviews than most. Washed them this morning and put them on the bed. Tonight will be the "feel" test.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I'm a closet "sheet freak." Meaning I love funky sheets for our bed. You never know what you'll see if you pull back the covers! Our room is in the back of the house and no one sees it or goes inside except family.(grown sons, DIL) They get a kick with what I do.

An example. Two years ago at The Company Store I bought a fitted sheet that is bright green and little white polka dots, along with the pillow cases.

They had matching hand towels and washcloths in the green and white polka dots so I got those for our master bath. I love it! Plus the quality is excellent!

I love cheery sheets. Nothing like going to bed with a smile on your face. :)

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Lucille, in the link below, is that the one you ordered? If so, I started cracking up because I like it so much!

And I had no idea they had a Company Kids section. Off I go to look!

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilt

• lucillle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love that quilt but here's the one I ordered:

Here is a link that might be useful: Daisy quilt

• lizzie_nh
    12 years ago

If it doesn't have cartoons on it, you're good to go. :-)

And I know this might sound terrible, and some people will jump on me for saying this, but if you are single and will be bringing any new dates home, you might not want any overly-childish bedding. It can be as creepy-seeming as a giant doll collection on the bed. :-)

• rosie
    12 years ago

That's absolutely beautiful, Lucille. What's the rest of your room like? I really enjoy your posting because I so often find something to love in children's offerings after failing to find energy and enthusiasm, not to mention fresh color, among too often dulled-down hues and rehashed convention.

Although cheap uncomfortable fabrics rule a lot of them out, I actually like the typically lighter look and feel. I OD'd on the too seriously lovely luxury (and dry cleaning bills) a long time ago. No fussing over my investment because the cat pulled a thread in my exquisite comforter.

Oakleyoak, love your private side. When the air already feels like a warm cream soup at 6 in the morning, all I want is snowy white, but you're inspiring me to go shopping. September's just around the corner after all.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Lucille, that one is even cuter! Just think how nice it will be come Spring.

I sometimes wonder if we're channeling our childhood? They certainly didn't make bedding back then that they do now.

Potterybarnkids has a sun catcher for little girl's rooms that I'm thinking about getting for myself.

Rosie, I actually bought a few Chritmas presents over the weekend! I always start in September anyway since it takes so long for me to choose things.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oakleyok, thanks!!! Rosie, after almost 30 years in my present home I may be moving soon so I get to plan the rest of the room.
    Lizzie, I'm a senior, not dating right now, lol.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County