Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persnicketydesign

Dream Home decorating on a budget

persnicketydesign
15 years ago

Hi all! We're in the end stages of building our new house, so I went to a Dream Home tour on Friday to get some ideas for window treadtments. Of course, I forgot my camera. *sigh* I just checked online to see what the hours were for the tour so I could go back today and take some pictures and much to my surprise they have photos of the entire house posted. Thought everyone might like to see them. :o)

The wonderful thing about this house is that it was all done on a budget. The owner purchased the vast majority of the decorative items from Kirkland's, Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx and Marshall's, etc.

There are TONS of photos. Just scroll through the arrows. Enjoy!

Almost forgot...I've got a list of the paint colors if anyone is interested in any of them. :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dream Home Photos

Comments (56)

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

Great home - just loved it. Thanks.

• gigib_08
    15 years ago

Beautiful home! Thanks for sharing the pictures! It gave me alot of ideas! Do you happen to know where the breakfast nook table & chairs were from? I've been looking for a set just like it for almost a year now.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting. Love this house. Of course once I saw the pool, I forgot what the house looked like. LOL

Does anyone know about the little tables used together to form the coffee table might have come from? The ones with the flared legs. I'm not sure what you call those legs, but they resemble the legs on my dining room table. That would be nice way for me to carry those legs from the dinette area to the great room.

I'm keeping this house on my favorites. It had a lot of nice and simple decor that I liked.

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Betteratthelake (love the name!), the table and chairs came from Bassett too. They are from the Custom Dining collection. The table is their round pedestal with the traditional base. The side chairs are x-back. Here's a link to Bassett's website. They have lots of styles and colors to choose from.

Hiya, Brutuses. Nice to see you! I'm not sure where those tables came from, but I'll try to find out for you. :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bassett's dining set

• phyl345
    15 years ago

thanks so much for posting this dream house ~~ i thoroughly loved looking at every single picture!

you mentioned you knew the paint colors ~~ would love to know the name of the lime green ~~

thanks, phyl

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The green that is downstairs in the kitchen, laundry/mud area, office nook, and keeping room is SW 6416 "Sassy Green". The green that is upstairs in bedroom #3, the WIC, and adjoining bath (the green, black, and white rooms) is SW 6710 "Melange Green".

I love it when they print up info sheets for home tours! LOL

• phoggie
    15 years ago

persnicketydesign~~ THANKS so much for posting these pictures....I always love to go to these, but unfortunately live in an area where I have to drive at least 2 hours to get to any.

Do you happen to know the brand name of the dining room chairs? I really like them and think I would love them in my home.

It is funny to me.....the "stagers" say to make it look so bare and the designers fill it up with things to make it look more homey~~~ We hope to put ours on the market soon and I have been getting rid of most of the "stuff". Maybe I am doing the wrong thing~~~ any comments?

Thanks again.....and I hope more will post pics of home tours.

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

thanks for the post!! I'll be bookmarking it for future inspiration! The whole house was right up my alley! (in my dreams, where I have the cash, energy and inspiration to decorate like that! Haha!) It was gorgeous, but not "over the top", IMO... and every room seemed to have several ideas I'd use for my own house! Thanks again!

• bebetokids
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for posting this-I like it all. Did they supply info about the wallpaper in the DR? I really like it!

Thanks again!

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Phoggie...I think they were Bassett also, but I'm not sure which collection they came from. I'll ask. :o) We're getting ready to put our house on the market too and I've been putting things into storage. I want the house to be "dressed" when people come in, so we packed up the personal things that I adore and no one else would appreciate (like the family pictures, the kids' artwork, grandma's quilts, etc). Nobody really wants to see my kids "missing teeth" pictures but me, anyway. :o) I'm keeping the larger impact items and losing the collections of small knick knacks. DH keeps telling me to get rid of more...and never bring it back. LOL

Bebe...that's paint in the DR. It's BM HC-110 "Weatherfield Moss" in an eggshell finish. They added the bronze "scrub" work after the Weatherfield had cured. They used SW6213 "Halcyon Green" in eggshell in the master bed & bath and dry brushed it. The only wallpaper in the house was in the downstairs powder room. :o)

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

That is a lovely home with many ideas for decorating. Thank you so much for posting. I would have to say, though, their decorating budget was probably as much as my whole remodel budget.

phoggie: I think what tends to make a room look "cluttered" as opposed to "decorated" is too many decorative items and/or furniture that are too small in scale that don't necessarily relate to one another. I notice when homes are staged there is definitly art on the wall and punches of color (colorful throw or pillows) and various textures be it with plants, flowers or bowls of lemons set out. There is nothing of a personal nature put out. It should be just enough to make the rooms look spacious and bright and give prospective buyers a chance to view themselves in that setting.

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

That was a treat, thanks for showing it to us. I always find pictures like this inspiring.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I really like that DR and I also thought it was wallpaper. This is what was said about it .
    "Bebe...that's paint in the DR. It's BM HC-110 "Weatherfield Moss" in an eggshell finish. They added the bronze "scrub" work after the Weatherfield had cured"
    But on the BM site they talk about ragging , swooshing etc etc. But nothing about a scrub and nothing about Bronze only glazes.
    Does anyone know is the bronze a glaze or am I missing something.

• bebetokids
    15 years ago

Thanks persnickety for that info-I really thought it was wallpaper! Thanks too for the info on the other colors in the house.

• anotherlinda
    15 years ago

persnicketydesign,

Wow! Beautiful color combinations and ideas in each room. Thanks for posting the paint colors! They are right up my alley :)

• marciagaye
    15 years ago

I love the photos and am so glad to hear that the accessories were bought at those stores. I work part-time at Tuesday Morning and like most of the stuff that we get. We get a lot of designers coming in and buying things for their clients. I am sure that the designers probably charge their customers twice what they paid. We get a new truck almost every week and sometimes it is like X-mas when we are opening the boxes to see what the buyers have sent.

• suzluvsroses
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing...could you please tell me the paint color used in room
    with stone fireplace? It is a warm neutral that might work for us. Thanks!

• ladyamity
    15 years ago

marciagaye wrote:

I work part-time at Tuesday Morning and like most of the stuff that we get. We get a lot of designers coming in and buying things for their clients.

Marciagaye,

Do you actually get to 'see' any of your paycheck?
    If I worked there, by the time I'd get paid it would all be going for the stuff I picked up during the week and held back in the stockroom.

It would not benefit me in any way to work at a store like that. LOL

I was at a beginning of the year school (elementary) meeting last week.
    While going through the coffee/juice/cookie line after the meeting I got a chance to meet one of the other grandmothers attending for her grandchild.

She stages homes. She told me she buys 'unifying color accessories' at TXM and Marshalls and 'charges the client accordingly' for those accessories. Hmmm.... wonder how much That is. LOL

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marciagaye, I don't think I'd every bring home a paycheck if I had your job...but my house would be fabulous! LOL

I love the paint color that they used in the great room too. We're actually using it for the den and foyer in our new house. It's SW 6122 "Camelback".

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Thanks so much persnickety, I really enjoyed knowing this woman did this all on a budget. Granted a higher end budget than, let's say Walmart or thrift stores, it's still something most of us can reach. At least in part. It was very nice to see a "show home" done this way and look so beautiful. I've saved many photos for inspiration.
    Thanks again.....
    ~Becky

• jova123
    15 years ago

I love that wainscotting in the dining room. I haven't seen that design and it looks so much beefier than the usual. I will have to save that link and see if DH can duplicate that for me.

• laurience
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I love that big round clock. I wish I could fine something similar.

Joanne

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

I have to know where she found the bird and nest mural in the laundry room. My life will not be complete until I find one of those!!! LOL

Do you have any idea where it came from? I've searched the Internet but didn't find anything similar.

• ladyamity
    15 years ago

Caroline,

The bird/next mural could have been done by a Trompe L'oeil artist/freehand. Or could be a combo of those stick-on murals that look hand-painted.

I've hand-painted murals before but never of the quality of the nest.

I have been searching, a little last night and about a half hour today, to find something similar.

If I find something similar I'll post directly to you on this forum with a link.

When doing searches look under: Trompe L'oeil Nest or Trompe L'oeil Broken Wall or Breakout Wall.

I too would love to have that nest on a wall in my home since my whole house is done in a nature-type decor (lot of faux stone/nature stuff).

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm so glad everyone is enjoying the pictures! The mural (as well as many of the paintings in the house) was done by a local artist named Paige Hudspeth. She does beautiful work!

• equest17
    15 years ago

Persnickety, can you tell me what the blue green color in the master bedroom is? It appears to be the same solid paint as the dressing room, only with a glaze or dry brush technique over it; is that right? Thanks,

Sarah

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're exactly right! The MB base color is SW 6213 Halcyon Green.

• marciagaye
    15 years ago

Amity and Persnicketydesign....I have been there about 2 years now. I retired as a social worker...stayed home for a year and could not stand it. So while shopping there one day I asked if they were hiring and well...the rest is history. I love it there! I work 2-3 days per week. And yes...I get a paycheck! At first I was spending it all at the store, but then you finally get everything you needed, so now I am just buying gifts, and replacement towels, candles, etc. But what I really like is that you get to see most items first and get to grab them. LOL :) The people are great, I love my boss. It is really a fun place to work at. Check out the stores near you....if they are hiring you can work a day or two a week and you do get a discount and boy that comes in handy!

• dorothy9_gw
    15 years ago

brutuses, I found the little tables you inquired about on the Fayettevill AR CL. They say they are Bassett and can't remember how much they were asking because for what ever reason I was not able to log in all day, think their asking price for two was over $600 though.

• laurensmom21
    15 years ago

wow, gorgeous house! Thanks so much for posting the link.

I'm sure they're out of my price range, but I'd love to know where the rugs in the family & living rooms came from! They're both gorgeous and I've been searching for something similar for months! Thanks again :)

• cherie_1
    15 years ago

Persnickity, could you tell me color, brand and gloss level of trim paint? Thanks for posting. I enjoyed looking at the pictures! Wonder how much that house is selling for?

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The rugs are by Shaw. They're from the Kathy Ireland & Jack Nicklaus lines. They are running about $1000 here for an 8X11, but if you're close to Atlanta I know of a place that has them for a whole lot less.

The trim paint is SW 6140 "Moderate White" in semi-gloss. The house was built specifially for this family, so it never made it on the market, but there are several others for sale in the neighborhood. :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: River Island Homes for Sale

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found the names of the rugs in the dining room and family room. Both of them are Jack Nicklaus. The dining room is the Emeralda rug in brown and the family room rug is the Wynstone in black.

Flooringstore.com has both of them for $790 each for an 8 X 11.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Flooring Store

• laurensmom21
    15 years ago

Thank you sooo much! I was actually looking at a Kathy Ireland rug, but I think I like the Jack Nicklaus one better :) Thanks again for all your help here with everyone's questions - it's very nice of you to track down the info for us!

• laurensmom21
    15 years ago

Hey persnickety - one more question :) Do you happen to know the name of the rug in the living room (room w/brown leather couch)? I *think* it might be the Kathy Ireland European Elegance in brown, but I'm not sure. It's so hard to tell colors on rug websites and I just love the color of that rug in the showcase photo!

Thanks again and I hope I haven't pestered you too much! :)

• mldao
    15 years ago

persnicketydesign: Thanks for taking time to post those pictures. I truly enjoyed looking at each and everyone. We're overdue to paint our exterior next year and the stone on that house is similiar to mine, would you happen to know the paint color? Thanks.

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Laurensmom...it's not bother at all! I think the rug in the living room is very similar to the European Elegance, but it's not the same one. I'll call the shop today and see if he remembers what the name of that rug is. :o)

Mldao...the exterior paint is SW 6144 "Dapper Tan".

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

It's all very nice and full of accessories. Here is where I find the hard part. I thought we were only supposed to surround ourselves with the things we absolutely love. If that is the case, is that only if you live say in a smaller home? I might be able to accessorize a little more but that would mean I don't love everything I used. I kept looking at pictures trying to see if it would work with the stuff I have and I would have to have so much more, so the answer is no. I don't think I have the room to show off the eye candy.
    It was fun looking at the pictures, I have to say "I just love the outdoor fireplace" I think I know where I could put that!lol

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Misty...I understand exactly what you're saying. Most of the "dream homes" that I go to come off as an advertisement for $$$ retailers and the result is very sterile and impersonal. I thought this one was fun because it showed how inexpensive items that you can find just about anywhere can be used to give an upscale look. The owners still haven't added in their truly personal items like photos and other "love" items that will make this house their home. I would have liked to have seen some antique furniture mixed in or grandma's silver tea set on the sideboard in the dining room.

This house did have some great ideas that could work in any size home though. The homes I enjoy the most have been decorated over time. That's where the character and personalization come from. Everyone's homes should be full of things they love, but we can't get them all at once. :o) I think many of the ideas in this house could be used in a smaller home and quite possibly have an even better result!

• lindabarbara
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for posting the pictures; I loved touring the home. Would you know or would you be able to direct me to find the information regarding the tile backsplash? I'm two years into my kitchen remodel and I'm still without a backsplash. The smaller tile used in the kitchen appeals to me and I would love to find out just what it is.

Thanks again--I really enjoyed the tour.

• wodka
    15 years ago

brutuses, I have those two bunching tables from Bassett and love them! I'll email you a pic of ours, if you'd like.

• mldao
    15 years ago

Thanks persnicketydesign. I printed it out and filed it. I meant to ask you for the exterior color too. I'm sorry to be such a pest.

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're not a pest at all, mldao! I'm happy to help when I can. :o)

Laurensmom...I stopped by the flooring shop and the rug that is in the living room is by Tommy Bahama and the style is Paisley Lagoon. She said it was new and isn't in the full catalog yet, but she did have a small pamphlet on it. The rug comes in several different colors, but the largest size was approximately 8 X 11.

Lindabarbara...I'm on the way out the door now to pick the kids up from school, but I'll call the tile shop when I get back. :o)

• laurensmom21
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, persnickety! I will definitely have to check that one out. Loved the soft colors & design.

I really appreciate all the legwork you've done for us :) Thanks again for posting!

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lindabarbara, I'm so sorry! I completely spaced off calling the tile shop when I got back yesterday. I didn't think about it again until abouth 11:30 last night. OOPS!

I called them this morning and they said that it's hand cut stone mesh by US Terra. The color is scabbus.

• gigib_08
    15 years ago

Persnickity- Sorry to bother again! but could you tell me where the valances in the breakfast nook are from? And also, where the iron grille swags in the LR are from? Thanks so much!

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No bother! The valances are from Curtain Call. They're right down the street from me and I end up in there at least once a week. Their shop is so addictive! I added a link to their website below. Each section of the website has a photo gallery. They do beautiful work!

I picked up a couple of those iron pieces at Kirkland's last week. They were $14.99.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curtain Call

• phoggie
    15 years ago

persnickety~~ You are such a help in these forums. I just read your post on the "Building a Home" forum and you should be congratulated on the home you just built and doing so reasonably. Also thanks so much for all the things that you shared with so many of us on this post...sure did love seeing that beautiful house and knowing that so many of the items could be bought at such reasonably priced stores...plus all of the information you researched for us...thanks! You rock!

• nancy_east
    15 years ago

persnickity,

What a great house! Thanks so much for sharing the link. We're in the final stages of building a house too, so it's fun to see how others have decorated (mine won't look nearly as put together, but I can always dream, right?!).

So I'm curious if you've run across the movie reel wall hanging in the media room in your shopping? We have a media room in our new home that I'm trying to make look more inviting since it doesn't have any windows, and that would just look perfect on one of our walls!

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awww...phoggie! Thank you so very much. You really made my day. :o)

Congrats on the new house, Nancy! They have those wall hangings at Kirkland's right now. They are $69.99, but they've had them for awhile. I keep watching to see if they'll mark them down. They also have some really cute framed movie posters like "Gone With the Wind" and "The Wizard of Oz" that would look great in a media room.

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator