Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_fl

How to create a bed canopy/swag?

sharon_fl
15 years ago

In the 'princess' room I'm doing at the end of this month-I purchased 8 yds of this sparkly lt pink sheer material to make a window curtain & some sort of swag for behind this gorgeous twin bedset. Originally, I was just going to swag it from a pole and draw it over to the bedposts, but I'm rethinking this idea.

The bed will be placed against the wall & I' using the 2 footboards on each end of the bed. The ornate headboard will be hung on a cleat on the wall slightly above the bed.

I'm thinking I'd like to place a panel of the material (the width of the headboard,(44") and let it 'scoop' from the wall edge out into the room to the width of the bed (44") and then have a drop valence of about 14" (too big a drop?). Although the headboard will be nailed to the wall-the end posts of it are 2" thicker than the headboard itself..therefore allowing the backdrop of curtain to fall behind the headboard itself.

HOW do I go about this? I know I'd use a pole/rod for against the wall, but what type of thingy do I use for the other end that would hang from the ceiling? Also would I have to make a rod pocket for that end to push the rod thru then hook it? I know I'll have to double the material width, for a soft gather on this.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions and if you photoshop gals have any visuals I can see-it would help!

Comments (6)

• ewigginton
    15 years ago

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are describing. I'm sure there's an easy way to do what you want, perhaps using cup hooks screwed into the ceiling if the fabric is very light. Do you have any pics at all of the bed and a drawing of your canopy?

Ellen
    Home Dec Sewing Forum: nouveaustitch.lefora.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Nouveau Stitch Home Dec Forum

• HomeMaker
    15 years ago

Hope I can explain this well enough. I'll leave the measurements up to you. Shirr the fabric as much or as little as you like - in a princess room, more is likely better.

You need 2 sturdy wooden dowels (paint as you like), slightly wider that the bed and a length of fabric, 4 hooks to screw into the ceiling, 4 eyes to loop over the hooks and some chain. Finials for the ends of the dowels are optional.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Sew a pocket where the rod goes through at both ends.
    Screw the eyes into the dowel near the ends of the dowels
    Screw the hooks into the ceiling the same measurement apart as the eyes.

use the chains to hang at the desired height. Chains can be hidden with fabric sleeves.

I tried to do a little sketch in Paint. Please pardon my awful drawing skills.

Does this help?

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Homemaker..YES!! Thank you! That is exactly what I'm looking to do. My only concern is it's doubtful I'll hit a stud to screw the cuphooks in the ceiling. I'd worry the weight-even tho thin fabric..would eventually cause the hook to fall out of the ceiling. Any solutions for this? I never thought of using straight dowels..duh! Last Xmas I bought 4 gorgeous ornaments in lavender & crystal stones, in sort of a snowflake design..figured I'd work them in somewhere. Voila...finials!!!

Ellen..thanks for posting. I'm not home at this time. I've been doing this entire project up at my SO's home but when I get home later today-I can send you pics via email. My msn (webtv) unit has no photoshop (or others) capabilities. Once the entire furniture is in place in PA...I will ask someone to post the entire thing on here.

Again, thanks gals for your time!

• HomeMaker
    15 years ago

Could you use a hook larger than a cuphook? Paint it to match the ceiling and use anchors.

How's that for a solution? :-)

• miles661
    15 years ago

This is a bedroom I did for a client a little over a year ago. The canopy was super easy to make. And relatively cheap- I used WalMart fabric for most of this project.

Here is a link that might be useful: RMS- Girls Bedroom

• dekr8
    15 years ago

Here are two princess ideas to look at from Homerama. Two different rooms with different use of fabrics.

Flip to photo 8 of 11.

http://cincinnati.housetrends.com/slideshow.php?articleId=532

And the other one is below in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flip to photo 3 of 17

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES