Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Which purple for the dining room?

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

I want to make the dining room feel intimate, mysterious, moody, romantic, elegant, dramatic.

As much as I love this Gray Owl everywhere, it is not the right vibe for the dining room. I am not going down the 50 sample pots of gray road to find the right purple. I have it narrowed down to two. If you have a fandeck, please play along and give me your opinions.

I have 2 sample boards up in there. One is BM Dark Purple, and the other is BM Black Raspberry. I don't fear it being too dark, last dining room was dark chocolate brown.

I have seen the Dark Purple used in a dining room while on a kitchen tour. Was so impressed with it I wrote a letter (snail mail) to the homeowner asking for info on the color. She said she received a lot of questions about the dining room color, more questions than the kitchen I think.

The Black Raspberry is a color I was not considering but I read it as a recommendation from a designer in House Beautiful.

I am not matching anything. I don't have rug in there yet. I have decided I'm not doing a rug that is eye catching--nothing can compete with that one in the living room. I'm thinking subtle white/ivory rug. The trim is going to stay white. The high part of the ceiling inside the tray will stay Gray Owl, as well as the horizontal part of the lower ceiling. (Although I did toy with the idea of doing the trim in there in a gray...but no, not doing that, at least not now.

The Dark Purple seems a little more towards the magenta, the black raspberry has more black in it. The BR is closer to those purple pillows that I had in the living room at the last house (remember the pillows with the ruffles that imitated the flowers in the prints in the wasabi room?). Am I using those pillows anywhere in the room? No. The flowered pictures? Not sure, but thinking "no" and instead using them across the hall in the study to bring some purple over there...

Both look the same at night, if that helps.

I'm going to try and take some pictures to show you the difference. I know, it's my decision. I will be doing some sort of gray/silver/platinum curtains.

So, if you have any feedback, I"d appreciate hearing it. I guess I just don't want it to look like a crazy person purple.

The dining room, (ignore the pillows, they are in there to give me an idea if we wanted to do purple on the walls)

Sidenote, that is the same mirror I had in last house, but in last dining room that was chocolate brown the room had brass, the mirror was gold and cream. Thanks to a paint pen with silver, the mirror works in this room! So happy. I'm all for mixing metals, but that gold/cream looked terrible with the white and chrome in here.....anyway....

Yes, I didn't tell you which is which. So, vote on either "rectangular" or "square"

Comments (82)

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bee, Have you looked at BM Caponata? I stumbled across it on-line today while trying to remember the name of a different dark BM purple for you. Images show it to vary from purple to brown. It's #4 in the samples linked. Looks like you can order a sample. It's from the Affinity line.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Caponata

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

If you scroll (far) down in the link I just posted, there's also a photo of Aerin Lauder's beautiful dining room with a very dark plum. I googled to search for the paint color. A reference says it's a custom mix by Donald Kaufman (him again!!).

By the way, our BM store does have the color stories paint chips, but you have to pay for them! In Color Stories, both Velvet Cloak and especially Plum Martini look like they could be interesting. The latter looks especially dramatic and mysterious.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Plum Martini

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Are you doing flat or gloss? Note that the Kaufmann example is high gloss.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The names of the Color Stories colors...they get me.

I mean Velvet Cloak, and Plum Martini? Both conjure up images of deep mysterious evenings.... This is why Kaufman doesn't use names. "People see color differently because of names", he said. I like a color with a name. For $115 a gallon, I want a name. And that Aerin Lauder's dining room...gorgeous.

I do like caponata, it was on the short list but it seems too brown to me.

I'm going back to True Value tonight. I got the first two samples free as a Welcome to the 'hood promotion. So, I haven't really bought any samples yet.

I need to check out the Plum Martini and the Velvet Cloak. "she walked into the room, tossed her velvet cloak on the floor and ordered a plum martini.... and then she winked at the purple men across the room"

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

I went searching on Houzz.com because I was trying to imagine a purple dining room. So if I am voting on one of your 2 color choices I Vote the Rectangle...

I am usually very boring in color selection and go with a complete neutrals. I don't know the color of purple used in this dining room. It is gorgeous! I love that the ceiling color is a darker grey it looks like. Nice contrast with the white trim in the room.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/menlo-park-ranch-addition-remodel-traditional-dining-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~138966)

[Traditional Dining Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by San Francisco Architect Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

what about BM dark basalt?

{{gwi:1776449}}

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rt, thanks. I could stay with my neutral Gray Owl, and it would look fine. But I really need drama. lol

oly, that is the color one darker than the black raspberry. In fact, currently the fan deck is lying on its side in front of the black raspberry with my eye on it. I think tonight when I go back to the store, I'll compare it to the Velvet Cloak and Plum Martini. I like that picture. I was afraid when looking at the fan deck that it might just look black. But that room's color is gorgeous.

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

The rectangle looks like it has a red undertone and looks like a warmer color, the square looks like it has more blue and is a cooler color. Whatever one you decide on I think it would look awesome with the gray on the rest of the walls.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Bee, you are too funny!

Wouldn't you just love to have a job dreaming up names for paint colors?

Yes, that last photo with the Dark Basalt is beautiful.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Love the Dark Basalt!

• bird_lover6
    11 years ago

I love the square. I think it is going to look darker and richer once you have all four walls painted, and I think it goes better with the cooler colors in your home.

The other color is pretty, but I think it might be too close to a dark reddish brown once the paint is up on the four walls, and I don't really care for it with silver tones, either.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

What looks best with your white woodwork may not be as mysterious and moody as you like. I like the square much better with your woodwork and your lighting. But the rectangle looks more like the goals you stated for the room. I also like the basalt a lot.

Can you find the Ralph Lauren colors locally? His line has some really rich colors. Problem is, few people online like his paint. A good store will paint match them. I found my son the perfect RL deep red put into a Miller Paint.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, while we are discussing the white woodwork holding me back from my mysterious room, what would anyone suggest? I don't really want to get into painting it, but I'll take it under advisement.

I mean would I do the same wall color but in a semi-gloss?

Or would I do a rich gray?

Or a light gray?

And if so, what do I do with the door jams? Do they belong to the dining room or to the foyer and the back area near the butler's pantry?

I always feel as though I'm opening up a can of worms when starting to paint the woodwork a different color. I suppose we can try it w/o painting it first and then decide, right?

I'll check my HD to see if they have Ralph Lauren paints

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Can't help with the purples, but don't mess with the woodwork....not now - here me?

Your hunt for the perfect purple reminds me of my use-to-be favorite lipstick. Merle Norman Eggplant. They quit making it, and there is not another color out ther ANYWHERE that is the same....too brown, too black, too purple, too pink, too goth ....... We've tried them all! My DD and I both loved it and in all her high school and college pictures she wore Eggplant. She was (is) beautiful in Eggplant.

I feel your pain.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's getting darker in the room as the sun has moved to the back of the house. The colors are both looking alike now....

So, I guess this is telling me I can go darker, because if they get very dark at night, and the goal is to have it still give off its mysterious vibe during the day, then I should go bravely into the world of dark basalt, velvet cloaks and have a few plum martinis.

Plum-tini

Ingredients
    2 cups shaved ice
    2 cups vodka
    1 cup plum wine
    Frozen raspberries, for garnish
    Directions
    Fill a pitcher with shaved ice. Add the vodka and plum wine and stir well. Strain into martini glasses. Garnish with a handful of frozen raspberries in each glass. Serve immediately.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Take a look at BM shadow 2117-30. You might like it. To me it looks very smooth and soothing. You might know this but fine dining restaurants often use dark purple on the ceilings because it reflects on peoples faces making them look good. It also makes the ceiling go away but who cares about that, ha!

• les917
    11 years ago

Wondering if you checked BM Chambourd AF-645 from the Affinity line?

I also have an older SW fan deck, and there is color 6265, Quixotic Plum, that seems interesting.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Bee, you have been so helpful to all of us over on Kitchens. I was going to the paint store anyway for my son's bedroom. Please investigate these two colors from Devine Paints: Shantung and Gosling.

My son, after kidding me for shopping for an online friend, also got into the act and found Eleanor Ann 1229, 3-17-5, but this is a Miller Paint, not Devine and I don't think they are sold elsewhere besides the Pacific Northwest.

I would say Gosling would be my favorite of the three for you. If you really like it and it's hard to get to Devine store for you, email me and I can mail you a sample pouch of paint. It might be a couple of days.

The Gosling is under Flora Fauna, collection 2.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Devine Shantung Link

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

What does it look like if you mix the 2 colors together? I did that with my living room (yellows) and it was perfect.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

colorfast, what a wonderful and kind offer you have made. Thank you.

But....I went to the store tonight to get some samples. I ruled out Plum Martini. It looked almost black. It was ruled out on the spot. Between the dark basalt and the velvet cloak, we liked velvet cloak more, you could see the purple in it.

But...Color Stories cannot be mixed in a sample pot because it has to go into an Aura base and they don't have the formula for a pint, Aura doesn't have a pint. So, what to do? Pay $25.99 for a quart of paint or $60 for a gallon?

What did I do?

I'm painting the walls Velvet Cloak tomorrow.

: )

Thank you all for all the feedback and suggestions.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I was looking for an Aubergine for my library and was unhappy with BM colors so I went with martha Stewart's purple elderberry. This sample looks too dull though. On the wall it's brighter, but doesn't scream purple.

{{gwi:1776451}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

See wall behind sofa...hard color to photograph, but it does look brown then berry then aubergine depending on lighting....maybe the color is truer in the 1st photo....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Rats...it looks like i'm too late....

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see it!

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

Oh, no contest for me. The rectangle for sure. The square reads true purple and the square is rich and lovely!

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

Oops, too late. Can't wait to see Velvet Cloak.

• CeltiaKris
    11 years ago

Finally, a thread I can cut my teeth on!

First, Bee I love your kitchen. It blows me away. And I've enjoyed your posts as I've lurked here and on kitchens over the past few months.

I have a purple DR - BM Eggplant. It wasn't easy to narrow it down, and it still isn't done, but I LOVE it. It's rich and dramatic, warm and intriguing, perhaps even mysterious, especially at night. I think you'll be very happy you went dark.

I'd like to echo Tuesday and say, leave the woodwork alone for now. The contrast of white wainscoting with the deep, rich upper walls is stunning. Live with the purple a while, decorate for it, THEN decide if you want to pull some of your greys into the room. Decorating a purple DR, BTW, is it's own challenge! Good luck. I can't wait to see your next batch of pictures!

• CeltiaKris
    11 years ago

Finally, a thread I can cut my teeth on!

First, Bee I love your kitchen. It blows me away. And I've enjoyed your posts as I've lurked here and on kitchens over the past few months.

I have a purple DR - BM Eggplant. It wasn't easy to narrow it down, and it still isn't done, but I LOVE it. It's rich and dramatic, warm and intriguing, perhaps even mysterious, especially at night. I think you'll be very happy you went dark.

I'd like to echo Tuesday and say, leave the woodwork alone for now. The contrast of white wainscoting with the deep, rich upper walls is stunning. Live with the purple a while, decorate for it, THEN decide if you want to pull some of your greys into the room. Decorating a purple DR, BTW, is it's own challenge! Good luck. I can't wait to see your next batch of pictures!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Coming in late with a Fine Paints of Europe dining room that I love:

Here is a link that might be useful: details here

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will post a new thread when I get it painted to show you. But, let me tell you....this is going to be interesting!

I've got the cutting in done. Now I need to wait awhile until it is good and set.

I think it's "mysterious" because it looks BLACK!! but when you get up near it you can tell it's not.

And it is one of those really scary "what was I thinking" colors when you open the can. It looks like Welch's grape juice in the can. Goes on like grape juice and then because it's an Aura paint it dries in a matter of minutes and it is dark!

graywings, I almost drove an hour out of my way once to go get a sample of that purple from FPE. I love that picture. But I realized I don't want it to read "purple" room, I want it darker.

Watching paint dry. B O R I N G

zzzzz

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh! I cannot wait to see Velvet Cloak. I know it will be absolutely marvelous once you are finished...now, which room to paint purple?...

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ah yes, the challenges of the fabulous Aura paint. Hoping the 2nd coat wipes out the streaks. I can't paint any faster....

But, the color is exactly what I wanted!

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Sneek peak? We don't care if it is dry......

• colorfast
    11 years ago

So glad you found a color you love.... Waiting to see how it comes out!

• starinasgarden
    11 years ago

Coming out of lurk-dom because this may help..
    Bee, BM makes an extender for Aura, supposed to help a lot, slows drying, and helps level.
    Love your color! (and your kitchen too)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for coming out of lurk-dom starinasgarden. I read about that extender after I used 1/2 the can. If I end up having to get another gallon to try and get the streaks fixed, I will get that for sure. The 2nd coat went on even faster but I have a feeling there are still streaks. Must be something to do with the extreme dark color.

Here is a sneak peak, but be warned...it looks ....black! I will try in the am to get it with the morning light hitting it.

I've cleaned up for today. Any more coats will happen tomorrow.

But can anyone tell me what the lines (streaks) are from? Is it from the paint building up along the edges of the roller? Or am I pressing too hard? I tried to use a very light touch.

Oh well.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I don't know about the streaks. Wait a bit. If it's not completely dry, it may yet even out. If it's from paint building up on the edges of the roller, it would be a raised effect. But...it looks spectacular. Really. Wow!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Are you using an Aura roller cover? I have been doing a lot of reading about Aura and they say it makes a difference.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Gosh Bee, that is gorgeous!!! The BM guy also told me to use the roller made for the Aura paints when I painted my DR. The second coat should be much better.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yeah yeah yeah... bought the roller cover.....

thanks for the compliments.

We are thinking, with the mirror, and the window treatments the one wall that you can see the streaks on (much better but still visible after coat 2, or should I say cloak 2, lol) will not be as bad. But tomorrow morning will be the test.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I love it!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

That looks amazing! I am so excited to see the morning photos.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Looks like someone is going to be shelling out for Forbes & Lomax.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Darn it, it looks brown on my computer screen.

• Irish2
    11 years ago

gorgeous color & room!

• natesgram
    11 years ago

I think it's going to be mysteriously stunning! After all that hard work, I think a romantic dinner out is due. Just saying...

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh marcolo....me? never. I plan on using primer for painting plastic and then painting that big white pimple in the upper center of the room. (It's the glass break sensor. I was given the ok to paint it, just leave the sensor paint free).

and natesgram, we did go out to dinner. : )

graywings, it looks brown IRL when you glance at it!

• User
    11 years ago

LOVE the color. So glad you found something that is just right. c

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

posting am photos on a new thread, because I have new questions.....

Here is a link that might be useful: fiished paint photos, room still needs help

• sameboat
    11 years ago

I think it's very dramatic. I love it.