Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctychick_gw

I want to order a piece of glass to go over my wood table. $$ ?

ctychick
15 years ago

How much does a piece of cut glass cost? My table is 42x42, but really just want to know what the range is since I've never purchased this before. Thanks!

Comments (31)

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I think about 25.00 for a 1/4 inch. Maybe less.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

I had one made for my breakfast table for $45. A candlestick fell on it and broke it, got another one that was thicker. It wasn't much more. I got a 36 round top for the coffee table on the porch. I got it at Big Lots for cheap.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

ask for the cost of a nice bevelled edge, I have no idea how much more it is.

• nicole93089
    15 years ago

I paid around $75 for glass for my PB coffee table. It was an expensive place, I guess. Anyway, my problem is that the glass slides around. I have those little round clear plastic things the glass people gave me the hold it to the wood but that doesn't do the job. Any ideas? it's driving me crazy. Thanks!

• randita
    15 years ago

I got two pieces, beveled edges, to cover end tables about 12 x 18" each. The were about $32 each. Be sure to get the little round plastic spacers to put between the wood and the glass. The glass cutters usually give several to you.

• kats
    15 years ago

We've bought 2 pieces both from Pier 1. One piece was 24" and cost about $35 and the other was about 42" costing around $60 plus. Both tops are round beveled. Pier 1 also gave us the museum glass stickys. We've had absolutely no problem with either glass top moving about.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Cut tiny pieces of felt (buy at the marts) from a large piece, make them so miniscule that they are hard to see in the closest color to your table. You could use a hole-punch thing to do this with. Put a dot about 1-inch inside each corner.

• cind11
    15 years ago

I agree with patricia43. Use felt NOT the plastic spacers. Over time the plastic can melt onto the wood and leave marks.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

I don't have spacers but I do have place mats between the top and the table; they hold the glass top securely in place. Since you don't really need place mats with a glass top this gives me an opportunity to bring in another fabric.

*Look past the goodies on the table to see the place mats. The goodies are from my Cooking Forum swap partner from last year.

• nicole93089
    15 years ago

Mustangs, what a cute idea! the placemats that never get dirty. My glass top is on my coffee table in my family room, though, so no placemats there. Plus, lots of feet sitting up there making the glass sliding problem much worse. I'll try the felt, though, thanks for the tip!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

IF glass is heavy enough, it is NOT going to slide.

• User
    15 years ago

That's what I was going to say, patricia. I wouldn't use 1/4 inch glass on anything---too dangerous. Half inch with a pencil edge would probably be heavy enough to stay put on a surface it covers completely. In the case of a base that supports a much larger glass top, the glass must be even thicker to stay in place and be stable enough to eat on it.

We had a glass top (roughly 30" x 40") cut for a painted trunk for use as a cocktail table in our bedroom. The glass is bigger than the base, is 3/4 " thick and is beveled, has a decorative edge, and has clipped corners (about a 4-inch cut across the corner of the rectangle, for both decorative and safety reasons). It cost $350 five years ago. It looks brand new and will probably be with us forever.

• Susan Pruzinskis
    7 years ago

Does any one know of a place to get apiece of glass for my wood coffee table I live in Tom's River n.j

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

I was always of the opinion (probably because I read it somewhere) that wood needs to breathe and sealing it off with a piece of glass is not a good idea. Has anyone had a problem with this or heard that?

• blubird
    7 years ago

I had a piece of 1/4" glass cut to fit over my wood coffee table. There are "glass buttons", made of plastic, at each of the corners. There have been no issues with any marks left. You just need to be mindful if something spills it can easily wick under the glass.

Susan, I had my glass cut in Freehold, but I'm sure you can find a glass or mirror place closer to TR.

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

When I had my shop I put glass with spacers on top of my working desk. It was a very heavy glass and was about $120. The only problem I ever had with it is when my Murphy jumped on the desk from my chair and spilled a full cup of coffee. It went right under the glass and of course the glass was way too heavy for me to move. I had to have two employees lift it off so I could clean the desk and the glass. What a mess!

• hooked123
    7 years ago

I recently had glass cut for a small table and it was about $100.

• aputernut
    7 years ago

Depends on thickness of glass and if you want a beveled edge etc.?

• erinsean
    7 years ago

I took my coffee table to a glass place and he/I decided to use "used" glass. Was a lot cheaper. Years ago I bought plate glass for the top of a dresser......glass man suggested "used" glass also. I assumed it was a small piece from a broken plate glass window or something.

• Trish Walter
    7 years ago

if you have an Ace hardware store, they do this. I got a piece of glass for long bookcase for about $40 or so?

• mid_century_modern
    7 years ago

If the corners are cut at a radius does that put the piece of glass in a completely different price range?

• Claire Buoyant
    7 years ago

Ingrid, I have two tables (one is about 70 years old) that I have had glass on for over 20 years. There has been absolutey no damage to the wood. Conversely, they would certainly have shown wear had we not had the glass,

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

I had glass cut for two large end tables and an old ash desk that I had refinished. I went to a "paint and glass" store with tracings of each piece (the tables have round corners, and the desk is not a rectangle). I don't remember what I paid 25 years ago, but if it had been more than around $100 total, I don't think I would have done it. However much it cost, it has been well worth it to protect my wood furniture! Folks put cups and glasses on the end tables all the time, and I have plants on the desk, with no worries.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

For a solid surface table, the glass does not need to be overly thick. My coffee table is 48" square and has only a 1/4" thick glass top. Doesn't move easily at all unless I push it and no damage even from falling items.....after 10+ years of daily use and three moves, I'd say that was pretty stable and durable??

Also, I have had the round glass table tops from Pier One (3/8" thick, 30" diameter) to top an outdoor ceramic table base. Lasted for more than 12 years outdoors in all weather until workmen redoing the second story porch dropped a power tool directly on the center of it last summer :-((

• rebeccamomof123
    7 years ago

Please don't do it if you have kids. My 4 year old son climbed on our table a few years ago to reach something. It had a made-to-fit beveled glass top and the whole sheet of glass slid off with him. I'll spare you all the details but it left in in a full leg cast for 4 months. Use a table runner or cloth.

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

rebeccamomof123, I imagine a cloth would be more slippery on a table than a glass top. Parents of climbers can't possibly protect against every possibility! We put glass on tables before our twins were born, and fortunately neither was a climber. We had our fair share of trips to the ER, but it was for stitches more often than x-rays, and we ended up with sprains instead of broken bones (I claim that one of my sons bends, but doesn't break).

Every time it happened, I thanked God that we had healthy, active kids who could run around and get themselves hurt.

• rebeccamomof123
    7 years ago

AnnKH, 'bends but doesn't break', lol. Let's just say, it wasn't a break. More of a sever, that required reconstructive surgery. It was awful. Having said that, it's certainly the exception, but whenever I see people thinking about glass tops I do feel that it's worth a warning as a safety risk. While a table cloth may be more slippery it wouldn't be nearly as dangerous. Hopefully the OP finds a suitable solution.

FWIW, we paid about $400 for 3 separate 3/4 inch thick pieces with beveled edges and rounded corners. They were made to cover a coffee table, sofa table and end table. We went to local glass company to have them made.

• Richard Padilla
    6 years ago
    Looking for a table base bar height
  • Olychick
    6 years ago

try craigslist

• Veggie Lover
    5 years ago

Thank you for your post, rebeccamomof123. We were going to have glass cut for our coffee table next week, & I was researching this on Houzz until I read your sad story. I hope your son has recovered and is doing well now.

After reading your post, we definitely won't be adding any glass tops anywhere.