Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Another totally unscientific quiz: What house should you live in?

nosoccermom
9 years ago

No really sure what the "Pick XY" means, i.e. what I like? What I think is typical?

Anyways, I got "French Eclectic." I don't even know what this means.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quiz: What style of house should you live in?

Comments (55)

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Victorian.
    NOPE

I kept looking at the answers thinking "none of these" except for answering no to crown molding.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Farm house. Loved our farms and animals, really miss the life.
    Always fun to play with these, usually they are wayyy off. This one had a clue in it for what my results would be. Did anyone else see an obvious option?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

This is hard, because some choices were very close-- especially when picking the kitchen and designer because I like large elements of all of them.

So I came out farmhouse and that is somewhat correct -- except that my favorite house in town is a craftsman!

Then I went through a second time, kept some choices the same but went with the second choice on the ones I had waffled over and came up MCM. This is interesting because I had really disliked MCM for most of my life but recently have started to really appreciate it.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I got MCM and that fits! I live in a colonial revival but have a lot of MCM furniture.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

I kept wanting to say "none of the above" -- yet the answer was "Ranch house," which is totally me.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

"Your house is ⦠Spanish colonial!
    Spanish colonial: Mi casa es su casa. You love curves and arches and white stucco exterior walls. You must have hand-painted tiles in your home and terra-cotta roof tiles. You dream of living in Spain, but if you canâÂÂt, youâÂÂd take Santa Barbara, California, any day."

I'm fine with tiles as long as they are not on the floor. Funny, because there is a house near me that I always admire when I am out for a walk and it is Spanish Colonial. I wouldn't mind living in Santa Barbara, either.

In the meantime I am content with colonial Brick Box.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Farmhouse. Totally appropriate for the most part, but not in the too 'country' decor sense.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Shingle - which is OK as long as it's on the Cape.

What were all of those photos in between each question?

Were they the iPad pop ups that posters complained about on an earlier thread?

This post was edited by maire_cate on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 10:58

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Most of the questions were N/A for me. I got Farm House. Although I wouldnâÂÂt mind a Farm House if given one I know the real thing usually requires too much maintenance. IâÂÂm a dual because I like country and outdoors in the day but a more eclectic casual lux thing at night.

• rgps
    9 years ago

Italianate . Nailed it but none of those to be found in the desert or mountains where I split my time. No wonder I'm so antsy and confused

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Spanish colonial.

Pretty perfect for me. I've had this house in my inspiration folder for a few years:

[Mediterranean Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2109) by Scottsdale Architects & Building Designers Don Ziebell

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Would never have pegged rpgs as falling into the Italianate genre. Wow.

I'm in Concord, MA, right now, where I lived until I was 6; wouldn't mind one of these authentic Colonials either. They're amazing.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

I got "ranch" which probably is where I should live (at least in the near term) but is not what I *like*.

• done_again_2
    9 years ago

Colonial Revival. I am really drawn to them and their traditional style. When I think of some movies from my childhood those and Jeep Grand Wagoneers are common. I'm drawn to many styles though. A lot has to do with the area I'm living in.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

My answer was Traditional which is true, but traditional what? It seems like that could cover many, many styles.

Their definition:
    Traditional: YouâÂÂre an old soul who loves formality and tradition. Neutral colors, cast iron bathtubs, hand-built furniture, detailed millwork and crown molding are what always capture your attention.

No matter what the answer, it's always amusing to take these quizzes. Thanks for posting the link.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I got French Eclectic. I get the Eclectic part, and I assume "French" because I picked "Paris" :-)

• awm03
    9 years ago

Didn't bother to take the quiz. I could be happy with any house that has good, interesting style whether it be modern, traditional, formal, or informal.

I've lived contentedly in a featureless tract home for 18 years, which we've jazzed up a bit -- it's been a good family home. I don't love it, but it's done its job fairly well.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I ended up with Traditional, too, Fun2Be. I'm not entirely sure what that means, it seems so nondescript.

• lakeaffect
    9 years ago

I got Victorian, so not me, I can't abide all those small, closed off rooms and nope, not a turret swooner either.

Fun quiz.

• rgps
    9 years ago

Tibbrix-- no surprise to me about the Italianate. What other house could handle my Istanbul whorehouse look. Olana castle on the Hudson would be my dream house. Not to actually be responsible for such a place but to inspire me. Sort of italiantist.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I got Ranch and I live in a ranch house. Like a house all on one floor.

• antmaril
    9 years ago

I got "Ranch". Which is 100% correct. I grew up in a small ranch house. My late husband and I bought a ranch home in 1978 and lived there together until he passed away in 2008. I lived there alone until last month when I sold that home to my son and bought a ranch condo that belonged to my mother-in-law. I am 63 years old and have always lived in a ranch style home.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Put me in Craftsman, which is totally wrong. But there were a lot of choices that didn't fit me at all either.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Colonial Revival, which I 100% agree with.

• cozyfarmhouse
    9 years ago

Farmhouse for me, which isn't really a surprise.

Our house is actually a 1953 Ranch, which is pretty typical of the farms in our area (the town is only 65 years old). It's probably not what most people picture when they think "farmhouse" but it's a house on a farm so... We have the chickens a big garden an orchard and grow hay. We've even been discussing getting a goat this summer, lol, just have to decide if it will be a weed eating pet or a milk provider so we can pick a breed.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Italianate as well. Since we live in two cities with lots of Italianate homes, perhaps this fits -- but no! --- our dream style is probably Spanish Colonial, on the beach.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I got Spanish Colonial, which is not really my fave. Was it the sangria?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Errant and Fun I am an old soul traditionalist too. I figure myself as being between traditionalist and farm house. That house would certainly work as long as it was plopped down on some acreage with a lot of privacy.

Tib I have chickens! Currently 17 hens, 5 pullets, and a cockerel. We just moved the cockerel and pullets to the nursery coop until they get big enough to join the big girls. Nothing better than beautiful, fresh eggs.

I have been begging DH for a goat but it's not flying. He says I already have an old goat so there's no need for another one!

The quiz was fun, thanks for posting NSM.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I got Spanish Colonial, too, which is totally NOT me! I like Craftsman, Shingle or Farmhouse, and have never particularly cared for California or that type of architecture. Oh well, the quiz was fun, anyhow.

• amykath
    9 years ago

My results gave me some french style that I totally do not like for myself.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

I got Craftsman which is totally me. I had to Google most of the movies to see what the houses were like. lol

• pammyfay
    9 years ago

I thought the options were very, very limiting ("N/A" for a lot of them for me, too). I wonder if there was even something resembling "urban townhouse" or "urban penthouse" as a possible result.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I got Victorian. Funny - I live in a Four Square w/ heavy Victorian influences on the inside and it's too fancy for me. I can't wait to get to my simple farmhouse.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I got Spanish Colonial. No surprise there....have loved them since I was a little kid. So happy to live in one now and I was very lucky to live in Santa Barbara for four years, where my love of the style became an obsession.

And I picked Paris, Sangria and Under The Tuscan Sun.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Spanish Colonial...no surprise...I grew up in SoCal....but our home was not Spanish style...majored in Spanish and studied in Spain.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Only one other shingle answer? I agree, shingle is ok, as long as it's on a coast.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Yeah, there were a lot of things on some lists but none I really wanted to pick, like the drinks. What happened to single-malt scotch and water? And I knew I was in trouble when I had to choose 'pick-up truck' out of the list of vehicles. It would really be about my 2nd or 3rd choice but a good one nonetheless. And I had to Google one of the architects and a couple of the movie homes to remind myself (how shameful is that)! It was still fun.

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

I got ranch...so not me, I live in and love my 1896 Victorian.

• jrueter
    9 years ago

I got Farmhouse, which I do love. Best would be on an actual farm with horses!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

French Chalet

• Lars
    9 years ago

Totally unscientific is right! I got Shingle, and it is so not me, except that it is on the beach - just not the right beach! I would prefer almost any other style - MCM, Spanish Colonial, Italianate, ranch, etc.

One problem with the quiz - I had not seen any of the movies that it referenced, and it would not let me skip that question. I took the test twice and answered "near the sea" instead of "on the beach", and a few others differently, but I still got Shingle.

I had taken a similar test before with better results.

Big time bogus!

Lars

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Traditional-I'd say that's actually true for both houses we own.

• kellienoelle
    9 years ago

Colonial revival, which is appropriate since that is what my current house is. I was pretty sure of most choices but a few were N/A. Are the only appropriate modes of transportation honestly a saiboat, gondola, pick up truck or minivan? I can't see me owning any of them (but picked a sailboat in honor of my dream life)

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

Farmhouse- Good thing, as we are building in rural SC! Actually building a Craftsman, but it will be very much 'farm house'.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

French Eclectic Is an actual style. It's an American Romantic Revival style from the early 20th c.

This is set up like those tests that you take that could indicate what sort of career you may like that has nothing to do with aptitude or specific discipline interests. It compares your responses with the responses of known subjects in that career (or who live in that sort of house or have expressed a preference for that style). It's not very accurate because it doesn't take a lot of factors into account.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

With the choices that I made, I have no idea how the quix came up with this:

Your house is ⦠Ranch!

Ranch: YouâÂÂre modest and practical, and you always put family first. You like large yards and simple layouts that never make you step up or down. YouâÂÂll take suburbia over the noisy city any day, and have no problem with living in the same home forever.

They got it right except for the fact that I prefer multiple story houses and do not like living in the same home more than a few years.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I figured this out about French Eclectic. Well, I like French and eclectic but not sure about the combination.

Don't particularly like this:

[Traditional Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2107) by Minneapolis Photographers Spacecrafting / Architectural Photography

I don't even like the old French Eclectic houses (1926)

Now, the original French farmhouse or even chateau I would like....

I bet it was because I checked Bordeaux, Elvis, and crown molding.
    crown molding

Here is a link that might be useful: [Link to French Eclectic on Houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/roots-of-style-french-eclectic-design-continues-to-charm-stsetivw-vs~15709034)

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 19:05

• mdrive
    9 years ago

farmhouse for me...which is funny, because we just purchased the adjacent property to our vineyard and it has 2600 sq. ft non-descript ranch house,which i promptly decided needed to be re-done 'farmhouse' style to go with the vineyard...

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

I'm Farmhouse. What a surprise; lemonade, by a pond...
    We've been building a farm with a house for the past three years.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I'm Traditional. Is that because I chose an old-fashioned as my drink of choice?