Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louloulilac

What to do with drapes?

L A
9 years ago

I have three large windows in my living room that are grouped together. They're about 34"x70" with maybe 10" between them. The top trim is wide and beautiful so I don't want to cover it. I was thinking about buying a rod to go across all three windows. Not sure how to place it. Higher than the top trim or below. I have the same problem to the left of this photo. I have a bay window that's in a room 10'wide. I may put Roman shades there. I don't know if I should go with the same pattern or complementing one. The Bay window is a foot away from the living room windows so they're fairly close.

Comments (16)

• L A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the bay window. This is just to the left of the above photo

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would do inside mount shades on each window individually...that way you won't cover the pretty trim work.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Gorgeous windows! I'll look forward to seeing what you choose. (Can offer no advice, as I have nary a window treatment in my home).

• pps7
    9 years ago

Do you need window treatments for privacy or light control or are they just decor? This is one situation I might do without. The windows are too pretty to cover up.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

What are your light control and privacy needs/wants ? What soft elements do you have in the rooms? Upholstered furniture? Rugs? Are they (or will they be) solids?, patterns?, neutrals?, colorful?

I love the idea of minimal and inset shades of some kind because the windows are gorgeous on their own. But if you need some kind of softening element in the spaces, that may not be enough. Panels to the sides in addition to inset shades might work, not with the intent to close them but just to add that softening feature.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I like the way this combo of shades and draperies works together, subtle and close to the wall color, letting the trim and windows be the stars.

[Beach Style Entry[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-entryway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_741~s_2110) by Wakefield Paint & Wall Coverings Dennis Moffitt Painting

• User
    9 years ago

I was going to say same thing as olychick. Roman shades in the bay windows. Curtains on the other windows. Rod hung high, above window molding, just below crown. Panels in same fabric as roman shades.

Of course, it depends on what your privacy/sun control needs are. I wouldn't want curtains that close over those beautiful windows.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I have to say, living alone, especially, that I do not like to sit in front of "nekkid" windows at night. The world is filled with crazy people and even with fenced yards, I don't think it is smart to live in a goldfish bowl. Anything that fronts on a street, I think, ought to have the option for a covering of some sort.

• L A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't want to cover my windows, I enjoy all the light . But need something to cover them in the night. We have a huge back yard so no one behind us but I don't like black windows in the night, too creepy for me haha.

• pps7
    9 years ago

I like olychick's photo. Do one rod over all 3 windows. Place the rod just under the crown moulding. Do Roman shades for the bay windows. Very pretty room. I would love all of that sun.

• voila
    9 years ago

If you would like to be able to cover the windows you could hang four drapery panels, one on each end and one between each of the other two. Then hang panels on each side of the smaller window. If you only hang panels at each end of the four windows, they would have to be quite wide to be able to close, and would cover too much of the windows on each side. Drapes are the easiest to close for privacy, and do add soft elegance to the room. Coordinating roman shade in the bay windows would be lovely. Hang the drapes above the window trim, and the roman shades inside the windows, like olychick shows above.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

hi newfielou. You asked "What to do with drapes?" NO Drapes. I don't like window dressing as a rule anyway but I sure would not apply drapes to those beautiful windows. Inside shades would be my choice and the lighter and less noticeable, the better. AnnieDeighnaugh put up a pic of an excellent example

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Agree with Annie and sasafras: NO drapes! Hang shades, Roman shades or sheers inside all the frames. Love your windows! Nekkid or not, I'd be tempted to leave 'em alone. It's why robes were invented.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If a regular roman looks too formal for you, you can inside mount a relaxed roman shade.

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Summit Interior Designers & Decorators Valerie Grant Interiors

Or a deep balloon

[Farmhouse Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2114) by Charleston Architects & Building Designers DiFiore & Partners

or many other styles of shades.