Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Need help with backsplash behind range

gsciencechick
14 years ago

Hi, everyone!

I am a bit perplexed as to what to do behind my stove area. The area is 24" high x 36" wide. Just had new counters installed (blue pearl) and you can see the blue glass mosaic tile that still needs to be grouted and trim pieces added. I had planned on coordinating glass subway tiles, but the cost and laying of 96 idividual 2" x 4.25" tiles are more than I can DIY. There are a LOT of mosaics with a lot of blue all around the counter, so I'd prefer to avoid putting more of those back there and make it look a little more special. I saw some trim pieces of blue glass with metal and thought about a "frame" around that, but I'm still using the blue glass mosaics.

I will get a new SS range soon.

Both DH and I like the look of these slate tiles. Seems to coordinate well, I can DIY, and no grout needed. They need to be sealed, but no biggie.

I tried another sample of multi-colored mosaics, but I don't like these.

I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions welcome.

What I'm considering:

A little further back:

Looked nice in Store, but not at home (need to be sealed, but still I don't care for this):

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen remodel album on PB

Comments (33)

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

I love your blue and white kitchen and I am not ordinarily a "blue" person! The white cabinets, mosaic backsplash, blue pearl granite and gorgeous blue floor look great together and are absolutely striking. Are you positive you don't want to continue the blue mosaics on around behind your range? It would look great behind either the white or possible SS range. My fear is that bringing in another pattern would just be too much. The mosaics and granite are "busy" patterns and IMO are perfect for the room without another thing being added.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. Right, that's my dilemma with adding something new, will it be even busier than what it is now. There are a lot of mosaics that go all the way to the washer corner. I love the look, but it's a lot. Maybe the fact that the kitchen is not yet finished is an issue?

What do you think about adding some sort of trim piece behind the stove? Again, too busy?

• shezzy_in_sj
    14 years ago

I'm feeling like you need something warmer behind the stove. Blue and white is such a clean, clean look, and I love it, but blue does not bring cooking to mind, imo. So I would take that opportunity and perhaps look for warmer tones. Even if you go with an iridescent white glass that has some hint of gold in it, that would be nice. You don't have to get really contrasty - like going with orange juice orange, or anything.

Also, I, personally, would tend to counterpoint all that mosaic movement with a slab of something. When you went granite shopping, was there another granite that caught your eye that you just loved the movement of? Maybe it was Azul Macauba. Maybe it was Sodalite Blue (copy and paste: http://www.granitestock.com/eis-cgi-bin/8180/gran?color=Sodalite%20Blue&templ=granite_csearch_color.html) Go talk to your granite supplier or granite fabricator to see if there are slab remnants available to purchase. Or look to see if some of these come in 12 x 12 or larger tiles. Any way, that's what I'm thinking for now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azul Macauba

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, we never really looked at other granites. We had a sample of of blue pearl, and that was it. It really looked great with the floor tile. Those other blues are nice, though.

I looked at white or marble subway tiles, but the marble doesn't seem to work. At Lowe's they had the white subways interspersed with a small piece of the blue mosaics, but DH doesn't like it.

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

Hmmm. Now using the blue mosaics along with subway tiles I like behind the range. I would use the blue subway tiles rather than the white though. The mosaics tie the range area in with the backsplash and the blue subways add interest while letting the white cabinets shine on their own rather than compete with white subways (which could be a different color white than the cabs also).

The granites shezzy posted I think are absolutely gorgeous, but to me 2 different granites, though comaptible in color, really compete with each other in a small area. That, however, is just my opinion which is worth about as much as you have paid for it!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Do you have a photo taken of the range area as it is now but back so we can see more of the kitchen? That would really help out in visuallizing what could work.
    I love what I do see. It's gorgeous. I love blue and white and with the granite it's just absolutely gorgeous!

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

have you considered mosaicking with something other than standard tiles?
    While this is a truly unique look, it might interest you. Certainly the color choices are endless; you could work your own color scheme:

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Here's a great backsplash that one of the members of GW did a couple years ago. (Sorry if these are not what you're looking for...just figured I'd toss them out there for ideas) Link to full flickr set below

Flagtruck's Fiesta Backsplash (Flickr set)

Here's a neat site with some other ideas- I'm looking at that blue/white one with the splashes of yellow mixed in, but lots of other ideas for inspiration:
    Timeless Mosaics

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for your help! Wow.

I am back with more pictures of the area. I went to a different Lowe's and they gave me some ideas. Here are some 4" x 4" tiles that come in white and blue ceramic and the coordinating blue glass from my mosaics! The display area did not photograph well (high up and strong flourescent lighting), but maybe something like that where the blue glass tiles are intersperced with the ceramic, either all blue or white and blue with the mosaic strip as an accent.

My original plan was to use the glass subways in that original display a couple posts up, but I could not DIY and would have to pay someone to install. We measured out this would require 96 tiles (2" x 4.25") at a cost of $1.68 per tile. BTW, the ceramic 4" x 4"'s are about 50 cents each, while the glass 4" x 4" are around $2.50 each. Lowe's could cut the ceramic tiles for me.

Further back pics of the area:

One Lowe's Display:

Lowe's display with cobalt blue tiles (would not do diamond pattern):

Lowe's display with glass tiles intersperced:

Possibility??
    {{!gwi}}

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I like the one with the yellow in it. What I was going to suggest is a yellow and blue design. More than likely you'll have decorative accent pieces, and all blue would be overkill. Yellow and blue is a beautiful combination.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Thanks for the extra photos. It helped to see that an idea I had might work for you. My idea was to either use tin ceiling tiles in stainless steel (they come in six, twelve and twenty four inch squares and two by four foot drop ins) or metal flashing that's used in roofing (it comes in ten foot rolls which can be bought in either 24 or 36 inches wide). With your stainless hood and future stove it could work great. The flashing could cost as little as twenty dollars.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

justgotabme, we have tin ceiling tiles in the bathroom, from American tin ceilings. We have white in pattern #20. That might work. Will it be "too much" stainless with the hood, backsplash, and new stove?

I like the actual mosaic look with the yellow, too, from the timeless mosaics site. I have a friend who does mosaic and stained glass as a hobby. I'm sure that will not fly with DH, but it's worth a shot.

Also, on that Timeless Mosaics site, they have the one with the glass and metal tiles. Now I could do that. Get some metal tiles, and either use those by themselves, or with the glass alone or with the ceramics and 4 x 4" of the mosaics.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Tin backsplashes

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

I love everything you have done so far, but I would be very careful in such a small space. While everything you are looking at is individually beautiful, sometimes when all is said and done, in a small area too much can be just that- too much.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Oh I meant to mention metal mosaic tiles too.
    I don't think that much stainless would look any different than a stainless fridge. But if you'll have a stainless fridge someday that could be too much since your stove and fridge are beside each other. Is your fridge in it's permanant possition as shown in the photos above?

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Another thought: Have you thought about putting any of your tiles in the back of your shadow/shelf boxes to bring some of the color up higher?

{{!gwi}}

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh gosh, painting back there was bad enough, but that is a possibility. MIL keeps trying to convince us to get glass doors, but I am not sure that will happen right now. The doors will just be the old solid ones put back on. I am painting the doors right now. I wanted to be sure the upper boxes were done before the counter install.

What we both would LOVE is either a Big Chill or Northstar retro fridge in blue. Seriously, there is a lot I would sacrifice for that. Otherwise, yes, probably stainless.

• nappyhairbigteeth
    14 years ago

Hi gsciencechick,

It appears we have similar taste. I've been thinking about getting blue pearl granite with either a glass tile backsplash or blue pearl backsplash.

Anyhow, though it's not what you want to hear, I would continue with the same glass tiles behind the range. To me, it looks like too small an area to change what you're doing, but I'm no authority on these things.

Good luck! It's looking great so far!

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, you know, NHBT (LOL), that's always the default option. Or else the glass subways installed by someone else.

Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out despite the behind-the-stove issue. The granite has exceeded my expectations.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

You know I just realized that behind your stove is the same paneling that's behind everything else. That is if I'm right in my asumption. If so why not just paint it to match the rest?

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Justgot, that is a good idea. The paneling there is not in that great of condition. There was a laminate backsplash there, and there is adhesive and some wood that came off. I will have to scrape off the rest of the adhesive and fill some holes before I put anything on.

OK, I think I really have something here. I would continue the mosaics but randomly put in 2 x 2" stainless tiles, templating it out on a cardboard before I put it up. I would need probably three more sheets of glass mosaics. I have two sheets left over from the main tiling.

• annzgw
    14 years ago

I like the idea of using the SS tiles but not completely convinced it's needed in your kitchen. One problem you have is that the oven isn't centered under the hood and making that area of the backsplash a focal point will probably make the offset more apparent.

Check out the site below for lots of pics of backsplashes As you'll see in several of the pics , nothing more than glass tile is all that's needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplashes

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I would use more of the same: its a very nice backsplash you have going on. Add too many different materials and its going to look like a sample board.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Oh I like that idea gsciencechick! Give the area behind the stove just a bit of a difference without over doing it. Perfect!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I'd go with one of the solid colors from your mosaic (white, lt blue, darker blue) and insert a line (or 2) of your mosaic tile pattern across it like in the store display. or maybe a strip of SS small tiles?

or the same mosaic in the back w/ the SS inserts like you posted.

I wouldn't go into another pattern because you have a busy BS already with the mini tiles.

• lilbit77
    14 years ago

thats really weird bc my mom has soemthing similar except different color. her range is about the same height too.what s he did was did the glass mosiac everywhewre except above the range she picked out some larger slate tiles about 2x2 and put it staggered and in the middlew she put a square of the mosiacs. randomly she put a single mosiac tile at the corner of the slate tile

sorry i dont have a picture.

when i was looking at the pictures i was omg it looked just like our lowes.. she found more she liked at hoem depot. i got my backsplash at lowes though

• mcps
    14 years ago

Hey! I used this same combination in my kitchen. I used the blue mosaics in combination with tumbled stone subways...

• mcps
    14 years ago

Even though I used the mosaic with tumbled stone...in thinking about YOUR kitchen, I like the idea of continuing the mosaic behind the range. I know you said you would prefer not to - but I think it would be a much cleaner, more cohesive look...just my 2 cents!

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you to everyone for all the feedback! This has been awesome.

Mcps, that looks really great with the glass and tumbled marble combo with the blue pearl. I would not normally think that those would go so well together.

They do make small 2 x 2" glass tiles in the same family, although I think just the lightest blue. That light color is actually a very pale blue and not white, although it looks white on the computer screen.

If I go with the stainless, I would use them sparingly as we did with accent tile in the half bath. Just need to call Lowe's and find probably 4 more sheets of the glass mosaics. They seem to be very popular.

Example of accents in the bath:

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Not sure if this has been suggested and shot down already...how about if you turn the mosaic you have on an angle and put it in a framed out area above the range? Frame it out with some sort of blue "picture frame" tile to make a rectangle, and add the mosaic like a diamond pattern. And just continue the same mosaic pattern around the "picture" area.

Look at the finished kitchen blog for backsplash inspiration photos. I think this would look nice. But this is coming from someone who can't decide on any of her own backsplash!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

mcps, your kitchen is gorgeous!
    And so is your bathroom floor gsciencechick!

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ladies, I am off to Lowe's to pick up more of the glass mosaics and adhesive. I will probably tile tomorrow.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is the work in progress! Sunday I grout. This was so much easier than doing everything else.

The stainless tiles are covered in a thin plastic film. I believe I remove them after I grout.

Clearly, continuing the mosiacs really looks good. I feel like I went through a counseling session where I had many options presented and had to arrive at my own answer.

Thank you to everyone for your help! GW'ers are awesome!

Of course, I will post the finished product. :) Now I am going to want that new stainless range badly.

• mcps
    14 years ago

Looks great!

• natesgramma
    14 years ago

Can't wait to see the finished splash. Maybe a new stainless teapot will do until you can get the range. Nice job so far.