Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dilly_ny_gw

Help me with Blue dining room / mahogany furniture

dilly_ny
10 years ago

Hi GW. I was hoping you could give me some ideas to decorate my dining room. We recently installed wainscoting and opened up the staircase on the DR side. We want a tradition dining room. We recently painted the room an icy blue and intended to use grey window treatments and silver accents (mirror, centerpiece, etc.).

There are 4 problems. 1) grey colored window treatments are too modern for the look i want; 2) After painting the room blue, I bought a vintage mahogany dining room set. The chairs are upholstery in a cranberry with gold fabric. I am open to reupholstering the chairs, but they are newly upholstered and in good shape. 3) I really like my gold leaf mirror and decided to keep it. 4) now that the room is open to the staircase, it seems to me that the DR paint color should also continue into the foyer and up the stairs.

The living room is on the other side of the foyer and is painted Sherin Williams 6387 Compatible Cream color (a golden yellow). I love the warmth of the color but DH doesn't want it in the LR, DR, foyer and staircase. He thinks its too much of the same color.

So I ask you, how can I make this DR a gorgeous, traditional room? work with the blue paint? Or do I choose a different color? What about window treatment (one single window in the room). Table cloth and centerpiece idea? I don't want flowers.

Thanks for you help. Ill attach some pictures of the room.

Comments (17)

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Staircase wall and foyer.

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chair fabric

This post was edited by dilly_ny on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 8:10

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks KevinMp. I have seen your room and I like it. I will look for it again.

Anyone know how I can rotate the photos? They were oriented correctly when I previewed and uploaded to GW.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Very pretty furniture, and the chandelier looks great.

Cranberry and soft blue are very traditional colors in an oriental carpet, so maybe start with a carpet and that will help tie the room colors together. Not this rug, specifically, but as an idea for how the rug can provide a color palette:

{{!gwi}}

I also don't think that a solid color drape is your best option...maybe look for a print or a pattern that is more traditional. Also, the gray may not be the best option. If you want to tie in the gold in the chair seat and the gold in the frame, maybe think about a gold or tan color as your third color. It will also blend better with your LR color. And a print like this will bring in the light blue which is almost gray.

Center piece for the table can be your lovely crystal bowl and some candle sticks.

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks AnnieD. I agree that grey doesn't go well with the chair upholstery. I am trying to avoid custom drapes as I think eventually the ble walls need to change. I just don't love it. Thanks or your help.

Any other feed back?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Do you have touches of blue in the LR? If not, it may look strange to have everything in a creamy yellow and than one blue room. What about painting the DR a deeper version of Compatible Cream? Then, whatever accent colors are in the LR you can redo the chairs with a coordinating fabric for drapes to tie all the rooms together. How about a pretty tray with one candles for the table...or some brass candlesticks to coordinate with your gold mirror flanking your silver bowl?

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Blue and mahogany can be gorgeous, but I think you need more blue -- a deeper blue. Your paint is very pretty, but the soft contrast looks more like a BR or bath room to me and it pretty much rules out the red for me.

Look at something in the nature of the blue in that second photo Annie posted -- maybe even deeper, but not a navy blue. You want more contrast between the white and the blue, but not a sharp contrast or you start getting nautical. Then use the softer gold of the LR wall color as an accent -- your drapes (gold silk or velvet would be yummy) and as one of the colors in a rug. , Look at blues that work with the existing color if you want to keep it in the foyer.-- take a darker version of that color.

Looks like you have grey or blue drapes in the LR, and if you like blue enough to paint your walls blue, I bet you have some other touches. Worst case, you might want to add an accessory or two.

Gold and silver both work great with blue. Don't be afraid to mix them. It can be very elegant, especially with your crystal. I would do silver or crystal candlesticks. Since fall is coming up, why not keep your eye out for some mini pumpkins for your bowl? Change it seasonally or leave it plain. Crystal is beautiful on it's own. The dark gold tablecloth may look better with a deeper blue, but it is too dark with the light blue and I don't think it shows off the crystal well. Bare wood, a white or cream table cloth or runner might be better choices.

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joaniepoanie and Lascatz -thanks for your feedback. I have icy blue drapes in living room that I just love. I agree that the current blue wall color is wrong. My original intention was to do a wedge wood blue tone (like wedge wood china). However, my house tends to be dark, so I shy away from strong colors. It seemed deeper blues i tried were dreary.

I like the idea of using a table runner and seasonal centerpiece. Thanks!

Do you feel it would be too much compatible cream to have in LR,DR, foyer, and stairs? I feel like its a sure thing whereas my luck in selecting other colors is lacking. I think I have 20 sample colors of various blues. And another 20 greenish samples cause my mint green powder room is just too minty. But I digress. Anyway, choosing paint is difficult for me. This is also shown by the fact that my brand new kitchen isn't painted yet. But technically, primer is paint, right?!?

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

If you really want some impact in the dining room, then I think you need a deep color. Our previous house had a formal dining room such as yours. Keep the upper portion of the room a deep warm color.

It's a bit out there, but look at BM Greenfield Pumpkin. It is a deep caramel-y color. It will either look great or completely wrong. In my house it was fantastic. Looked great with brass, crystal, silver, dove white trim, deep wood furniture and floor. It somehow went with all my linens and looked great for every holiday.

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the color suggestion Juliekcmo. I'll check it out.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I like color in a dining room and I think it is the one room where you don't really want light and bright so much. Fast food spots have bright lighting. Your breakfast room probably has bright light (work light), but when you go to an expensive restaurant, you have dimmer lighting -- cozy, calming, mood lighting.

I have a deeper blue DR and the two windows are under the cover of my front porch. The bright light there is in the early morning -- or with the dimmer for my chandelier cranked up. The walls are not quite as dark as they look in this photo, but I was taking the photo of my new chandelier (I thought I wanted something very simple -- oh well, been there -- done that. ;-D)

>

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

I think you are on the right track with the blue DR, but I'd go deeper as others have suggested. The wainscotting plus the mirror, and crystal will help it avoid looking dark and dreary. However, I suggest that your next purchase be a rug, such as Anne has shown, that has the colors you'd like to use. It's much easier to match paint to a rug than the other way around. As for the chairs, I have similar shieldback chairs and it's not a big deal to reupholster them. If they were done recently then it should be even simpler as you won't need to redo the foam cushions and batting unless you want to make them more comfortable. As for WTs I lean towards ones that are close to the wall color, perhaps a shade darker/lighter; perhaps something in a luxurous silk or velvet? If you want to bring in more gold you could trim the leading edges with gold colored trim. And, do look at Kevin's DR pics. His is just stunning and should give you some ideas.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Check out: Benjamin Moore "Hale Navy" (HC-154)

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

I think you are on the right track with the blue DR, but I'd go deeper as others have suggested. The wainscotting plus the mirror, and crystal will help it avoid looking dark and dreary. However, I suggest that your next purchase be a rug, such as Anne has shown, that has the colors you'd like to use. It's much easier to match paint to a rug than the other way around. As for the chairs, I have similar shieldback chairs and it's not a big deal to reupholster them. If they were done recently then it should be even simpler as you won't need to redo the foam cushions and batting unless you want to make them more comfortable. As for WTs I lean towards ones that are close to the wall color, perhaps a shade darker/lighter; perhaps something in a luxurous silk or velvet? If you want to bring in more gold you could trim the leading edges with gold colored trim. And, do look at Kevin's DR pics. His is just stunning and should give you some ideas.

• dilly_ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great suggestions. Thanks so much!

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

I have a blue dining room with wood trim and I can say that I agree with the need for a deeper blue on the walls. It will look better with your wainscoting too. My blue is a mid range blue, but if I have white trim, I would love those darker, richer blues.
    Diane