Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennybog_gw

Re-Decorating New England Farmhouse

jennybog
11 years ago

Hello everyone. We bought a NE Farmhouse about 9 years ago.We did redecorate, room by room thinking that we would live in it and change things years later once we had done some of the larger projects. We started in the kitchen. We updated it by fluffing it up with paint, bead-board, new sink ect. We thought that we may rip threw the wall at some point and put in a muck larger kitchen. Now that we have lived here many years the kitchen is functional but small.We are going to re fluff the house with new paint and fabric. We are starting with the kitchen.We thought of painting the cabinet white, replacing the flooring with re claimed pine.This will be the push off point for the rest of the house.You can see from the kitchen the breakfast room, dining room,hall and living room.Sorry this is long.

Comments (9)

• ellyphant
    11 years ago

I love what you've done already--but do understand the desire to change things up a little. My own kitchen has lots of blue. I'll trade kitchens with you! Look forward to seeing more pictures as you update.

• jennybog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you ellyphant I will trade you. LOL Our biggest probelm with the kitchen is the walls need to be painted. We have a woodstove in the breakfast room and it does a wonder on the walls. Also we put on a farmers porch on the back of the house. The roof has made that side of the house very dark.Change is good

• rafor
    11 years ago

You're kitchen is charming! We also live in an old, old house in NE and are living with our kitchen for now, but I can't help dreaming about what I would do with it :)

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I really like the color of your cabinets. I love my white cabs, but if I had courage I would have painted them a color similar to your's! lol.

The only thing I'd change, and it's minor, are the glass knobs. I have some in my kitchen but they're only on the hutch. If you have any stand alone furniture in the house I think glass would look better on it than for everyday use in a kitchen.

• sailormass
    11 years ago

Great job! If you're considering paint colors, I know that Benjamin Moore has a "Historical Color" line and California Paint has something similar. Might want to check out some of those colors and see if they fit your design ideas.

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

I would leave the lower cabs red and repaint the uppers creamy white. Your cabs are quite nice. I would also do the floor in wood as per your thoughts.
    Diane

• ttodd
    11 years ago

I think it sounds great! Are you thinking about keeping the black accents like t he hutch and checked stool?

• jennybog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am going to paint the cabinets and the walls and trim all white. I am going to put on butcher block counter tops. and wide pine flooring. I will keep the hutch but change fabric and fabric on stool. I am going to make scalloped window treatment.my rug will have making colors.I am hoping for the kitchen to be a kick off for the rest of the house.I am looking for cute fabric to use.i may paint the walls a very light blue.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

change is good.... but I just love your current kitchen! It's charming, and I'm never bold enough to do bright colors, but you pulled it off perfectly!