Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

o
Part V...Slice of Life

Posted by AnnieDeighnaugh (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 7:50

If I may be so bold as to open the next part of this most enjoyable thread....

One house I pass on my morning walk is just chock a block with flowers. The old owner planted them, and the new owner has kept them going. Kind of reminds me of the little cottages in England with the profusely blooming front yards....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Part V...Slice of Life

What a charming cottage and front garden to enjoy. The front yards in my suburban neighborhood are mostly lined with tightly clipped green balls and pyramids, its such a treat when someone plants a flower garden out in front.

o

View from our evening bike ride.

o

Moonflowers at the mailbox. We didn't plant these either, the seeds just happened to blow there from 60 feet away from an old MF flowerbed!

photo IMG_4919_zpscd0e1ab1.jpg

This post was edited by oakleyok on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 11:13

o

Seeing the house that Annie walks by makes me think of my front yard a TEENY bit. I only do perennials and shrubs, so this photo on a rainy day in May is quite calm.

photo Frontyard052913001Small_zps5eeea67d.jpg

But this one I just took, on another rainy day, shows how crazy the garden along the driveway can get; although the rain has beat down many plants. Wish I'd thought to take a pic when the day lilies were more in bloom.

photo frontyard8213002Small_zps37140a8c.jpg

This post was edited by my3dogs on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 11:48

o

Some photos from my walk this morning. Rocks long ago plucked from the nearby fields, a freshly harvested wheat field, and one of many canals that allow us to grow crops in this desert.

photo acee3a76-713d-4101-ada5-6a44592e69ca_zpsd7565bf7.jpg

photo ec0b72f7-aac7-488a-abfb-25bea35e2be5_zps128ea367.jpg

photo f02e83bf-5b99-42b5-a55c-fdda011cb838_zps7644f71b.jpg

o

My3dogs, your house is SO charming!

o

totally charming. what is the name of that red bush? I can't remember. I must have moonflowers now too! gorgeous!.

Here is mine for the day. I have lusted after this marble table on crate and barrel for a long time....

$1200 and the legs wouldnt really work for me, but LOVE it.

So I see this one about 45 minutes from me on CL for $300 this morning....

DH would just never understand. I keep telling myself maybe when my kids are a bit older I can figure out how to go after things I find. :) So this will be the one that got away.......

o

Thank-you, sueb! I do love my little old Cape.

Boop -
Get away? If I could see the legs on that CL table, and they were anything like that one on C&B, I'd CRAWL to get it!

Do you mean the deep red in the first pic I posted? Those are Japanese Maples.I started 'collecting' them a few years ago, and bought small ones on sale at a nearby nursery. They have grown beautifully in my yard and I should really move some as they are now too crowded.

o

lol my3dogs. the legs are not as wonderful, but, they would work better with the sofa I use with my table in my eat in kitchen... It is actually the perfect small size I need too. I am sure it will be snapped up!

Thank you. Japanese Maples. I have been wanting some of those for awhile too. Just have not gotten to the outside beds yet. A neighbor has one and it looks lovely!

Here is a link that might be useful: marble table for sale

o

Flower from yesterday's walk.
 photo card4.jpg

o

Everyone has so many beautiful flowers

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 10:46

o

DH performing tonight:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Gorgeous, gorgeous summer night and great music! Yay!

This post was edited by cat_mom on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 20:51

o

I've finally been released to go back out to the field. I got to spend part of my day in this forest today. One of the priceless perks of my job.

o

The house is still not done but the garden is give us such a joy. These are 60yr old roses that I almost accidentally got removed. Thankfully my ornery gardener refused to remove anything older than himself. Now they bloom and have such divine fragrance.

o

My granddaughter and my sweet little pup enjoying my gardens.

o
RE: Part V... Slice of Life

Me in front of my sunflowers.

o
RE: Part V ...Slice of Life

Sorry I have to do these pictures all seperately. I used to know how to do them together, but not anymore.

This again is my adorable granddaughter and my sweet little girl.

o

Rats...went to carnival last night and meant to take a pic...got so involved with talking to people and eating, I forgot! But I did win $50 in bingo! So that meant I had to buy dessert...DH got the strawberry cheesecake, I got the lemon crunch pie a la mode! Yum!

o

Our son has severe autism and it can be very stressful but he brings us great joy.

o

Pps7 I know your stress and joy...

On his way to the mailbox.

o

This was taken by the doggy daycare our Bingo attends on occasion. They post pictures online each day so helicopter parents such as us can see what our babies are doing. To me, this looks like they were lining up for a class picture. Our guy is the one on the right looking very attentive. My guess is there was a treat involved, but he's not talking.

o

Fun at my house. My girls bathing my grandson.

o

We've had so much rain this summer one of our banana plants tripled its height and presented this hand (?). Look closely, those baby nanas are in there behind the crepe myrtles.

o

Buddy with his Buddy....

o

Telephone pole in Portland, Oregon. Kind of organic art. We're there for a week, walking our blooming legs off. I love Portland.

photo portlandpole_zps6b3582b7.jpg

o

I am so enjoying seeing everyone's photos, partly because it's a colorful glimpse into your lives, but also because many of the photos are really good! I hope these threads inspire you to take up photography and look into it more seriously. It's a great hobby -- portable, convenient, challenging, and a way to acquire a new perspective on your world.

I started three years ago when I bought a sophisticated point & shoot for a bike ride across Iowa, wanting really good mementos of that special ride, promising myself that I'd learn how to use all the bells & whistles of that complicated camera. It was so complex, though, that I just left the camera on Automatic -- couldn't figure out what the heck all those settings were for. Later, through our continuing ed program here, I took a beginning photography class to figure out how to use the camera features. That opened up a whole new world, and I got hooked. I've since moved on to other kinds of cameras, some modern, some antique, having a great time figuring it all out. It'll take me a lifetime to master it all, but that's good exercise for an aging brain.

We were in Rhode Island this week, which I think is my favorite state. The maritime climate and culture, the ocean lighting, the old colonial New England tradition, and the fabulous architecture, both high & low -- all wonderful. This house caught my eye. Aren't the windows fantastic, especially the bull's eye windows in the turret?

o

RI is great, I agree with you awm! That is where we spend most of our summer. Where is that house? It looks vaguely familiar.

There is a street that runs sort of behind Wickford Village in RI, toward the water, with some wonderful historic homes. I had been coming to this area for years, browsing in the great shops in Wickford, without realizing that there was such great architecture right around the corner. We've been coming to RI for about 10 years now, and still discovering the gems...

Here's a pic of my heart-shaped rock collection.

o

sueb20, I think it was in Ashaway. It was before we got to Watch Hill (drool, drool, talk about fabulous architecture...).
Love your heart-shaped rocks!

o

Yesterday my Mom and I saw Kenny Rogers at the We Fest country music festival near Detroit Lakes, MN. My bother managed to score us stage seating - that's my delighted mother, before the show. No photos allowed during, and Mike the security guy made sure we followed the rules.

Kenny Rogers might be a hundred years old, but he still puts on a fun show. We had a blast, and my brother rules.

nice seats photo IMG_0736_zps5ac01026.jpg

o

I've enjoyed these threads.

Moo, I like cows. :) Took this at a relative's house.
 photo DSC_0195_zpse511f242.jpg

o

Downtown DC tonight to practice some night photography.

awm03, I agree. Photography is a great hobby. I have always taken pictures and began with a SLR 30 years ago. About a year ago, I finally took an online course and got myself off automatic. Since then I have taken 5 courses online from a wonderful instructor. She is amazing. Photography even got me out every day during the winter and this spring/fall I have been to some amazing places nearby for good phto ops.

RI is my favorite state also. @years ago my son was at the Naval War College.. Everywhere you drove you could see water and oh, those mansions.

o

I was finally able to finish up a table I had started painting with home-made chalk paint this weekend. The original finish was very dark and blotchy, and not nice looking at all. What a difference some paint makes, lol!

Sue, and awm, I am just over the R.I. line in CT, and my daughter moved to Westerly last year! I also have a cousin and her family who live in Wickford....small world!

o

so many beautiful photos in these threads. It is like having new art every day. I love how everybody shares the joy of the lives they are leading, it is so uplifting to come here with my morning cup of coffee and peruse. Family members to love, beautiful surroundings, fun quirky things that catch your attention. Thanks to everybody so much for putting it all on here. It makes such a lovely start to my mornings. Here is a photo of some of the progress i am making towards making this house our own. I spent a fun day yesterday filling those red pots from my other house with impatience. There were very few annuals left at the greenhouse to choose from, it is very late in the season here with only 6 weeks of summer left before hard frost, so all the stores are selling out of the few remaining annuals left. As i worked the star lily plants gave off the most exotic aroma. This fall i will transplant them to a sunnier spot, they are very weak and spindly planted under the huge maples there in the front yard. The purple/mauve/pink of the lily plants does not really "go with" the red pots and the reds of the impatience, but it helps to have some flowers
out front. I had thought i'd plant ferns in the pots at the end of the Adirondack chairs but could not resist these huge "moses in a boat" plants and ended up bringing them
home instead.

o

DH and I are spending a few days (thanks to our kids) in the Hanover (home of Dartmouth College) NH/Vermont area. Staying in the Inn where we met 32+ years ago. Today we crossed the river into Vermont and explored several places I've been wanting to visit...Pompanoosuc Mills in East Thetford where they make beautiful furniture, quaint Woodstock with its window-boxed shops and Simon Pearce in Quechee. We purchased a pair of beautiful white wine glasses and had a very memorable lunch on their covered terrace restaurant overlooking the dam and covered bridge. Even had local teenagers providing entertainment as they jumped into the gorge off of rock outcroppings. Tomorrow were going to the King Arthur Flour factory where I understand they have a wonderful cafe. DH promised me a birthday cake from there. Then back home and back to reality. In the meantime, life is good!

o

We spent the weekend in Galena, Il and thoroughly enjoyed touring some of the beautiful old homes. Most were built in the mid 1800's. This is one of the ones we visited today before heading home.
 photo smallDSC09910_zps53a3dce7.jpg

o

Rue Cler (Paris) floral shop. We spent a month last fall in Europe, and one thing I loved was the abundance of flowers...everywhere!

o

Just came across this picture I took at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. Couldn't resist sharing. This gentleman reminds me so much of my late father.

o

May I join in? EEKS.. I hope it is okay.. if it isn't I'll never post in this thread again. *blush*

*looks around the room but makes no eye contact.*

My husband being pounced by my nearly irish twins. Xander (4) our adopted blessing and his side kick, Solomon, age 3. (our 3rd and 4th child of five.)

Mama had a rough day and was happy to "tag out" this evening. Daddy walked in the door with my favorite meal, immediately took apart a vent on the hunt for a lost toy and then sat down and was pounced on by these two.

o

Here is where I have been living for the past week

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 10:05

o

My sweetheart moving a scrub for me.

o

My fridge tonight ! I have an "all fridge all freezer" and usually it is so empty. But I am baking for a local farmer's market so what you see is the result. 20 wild yeast sourdough bagels retarding and 3 loaves of semolina/spelt boules retarding. All will be boiled/baked etc on the morrow. Also a pic of DH's blueberry waffles. He is such an amazing waffler...haha..buttermilk and our vintage waffle iron and he is good to go. Sweet man...c

photo IMG_6411_zpsa614dcf1.jpg

photo IMG_6412_zpse6fa2013.jpg

o

C--yum!!!

o

Demolition of the family room. Yes, that's the attic you see. At first I was thrilled with the progress but now I'm remembering how much work there is to put everything back together. At home on 'vacation' with the builders and kids this week.

o

Memories of a wonderful vacation.....

o

This pic didn't come out great but I took it as I was returning from my walk yesterday morning. This is my Happy Place...our second home (I still call it a cottage) that we basically re-built (and added a porch and a master bed/bath) almost 3 years ago. I sometimes still can't believe we have this place. It's better than our full-time house!

o

My first 3 quarts of pickled Hungarian peppers with assorted veggies. It's only my DH and myself, so I have a small canner and just do small batches.

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 10:48

o

Sorry, double post

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 14:32

o

i can't believe i'm just now catching on to this thread!

this is my walking trail - isn't it lovely? sometimes the wildflowers are yellow and other days the purple ones come out to play. :) this was a yellow day.

o

Ilene and SueB....where, where? Soooooo pretty!

o

The kids and I have been on our yearly midwest tour to see various members of our family. My mom took us to the local botanical garden and I took this of the kids in the hosta area. So pretty!

o

Joyce, your rue Cler picture reminded me of my last trip to Paris, I would have my early morning coffee in a cafe closeby to that market, I love that area......

I just love this thread, all those shared moments are amazing to look at.

o

DH and I are heading to our favorite camping spot later today. Here he is paddling on Whiting Bay in downeast Maine. I hope the weather is this good this year!

o

Alex,you should have that picture made into a poster!

o

It's my computer wallpaper, hahaha! It reminds me that calm CAN surround my children :)

o

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it!! Great shot of your kids Alex!

o

Sueb20 that is one gorgeous home. It has The Hamptons written all over it. Really really beautiful.

......Jane

o

Thank you! And (for Joanie too) it's in Rhode Island, actually.

Funny story. As we were just finishing the construction, a woman walked by and was asking us about our choice of siding, complimenting me on my color choices (siding, stone, driveway, doors), etc. She told us generally where her house was (a few streets away) and told us that she was about to embark on a renovation of her house. Earlier this summer as we were riding bikes around the neighborhood, we came across a house that was obviously recently renovated...with the exact same siding color, roof color, and front door color! I think I know whose house it is... :)

o

Thanks Sue....love that area of the country. My brother and SIL lived in mystic for 10 years and all their kids were born in Westerly. Newport glorious especially in summer. You have a lovely vacation home!

o

Wonderful pics and stories . Here is what I did the past two days. I have been selling my breads at a local farmer's market.

photo IMG_6433_zps27274c97.jpg

photo IMG_6424_zps7686fcfe.jpg

o

My views in the Adirondacks last week - wish I was still there!

On Whiteface photo 1005683_10200752713163741_436985432_n_zps1f92510d.jpgMirror Lake photo 1004844_10200752713443748_412230920_n_zps71122176.jpg

o

We were in Lake Placid, New York, in the heart of the Adirondack mountains last week for a family reunion, then a quick trip back to coastal South Carolina.

Next week we’ll be off to Highlands, North Carolina to continue our quest for mountain scenery. After our usual vacations to Belize, Turks and Caicos or some other Caribbean island each year, these destinations have been a refreshing change. I much prefer the mountains and cooler, crisp air! As long as DH can do some fly fishing, which he’s done at both locations, he’s a happy traveler. Mix that in with spending quality time with our grandchildren on both trips, it makes for the most satisfying and joyful vacations.

o

Beach scene in La Jolla, California where we vacationed a couple of weeks ago. It was a family get-together, and we all chipped in and rented a charming house a short distance from the beach. We needed and enjoyed the down time.

o

Anna, Love La Jolla...we stayed on the ocean there...first thing I saw when I got in the room was dolphins swimming by. Just amazing.

Nanny, we also enjoyed Lake Placid...stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn and made our mark on the place (the wayward cork from the champagne bottle!)

Thanks for bringing these places to mind...

o

Walt and Mickey at Disneyland yesterday afternoon. I'm not much for standing in line waiting for the rides but it's a nice place to walk and people watch.
 photo walt.jpg

o

c, if I may be so bold to use your pic. What a perfect mate for the Rumi poem dh sent me!

You have to feel the oven fire yourself... Love that Rumi.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Deedee...what a gift..to me..to you from your dh and to those that read it here. Thank you.c

o

That brought tears to my eyes! Thank you c.

o

Natesgram....your picture brought back many happy memories...I grew up20 minutes from Disneyland in the 60's and would go there and Knott's several times a year. Have lived on he east coast for a long time but in the 90's we took our 3 kids then 6, 8 and 10 to DL and Knotts....so great to relive my childhood through their eyes!

o

Trail......I can almost smell your scrumptious bread!

o

This is a picture of my house taken in April. The painters weren't quite done painting yet. And I had the porch furniture outside to paint. Which I still haven't done. Please excuse the yard.

Many of you know me on here, many do not.
At any rate, I finally got the house painted. I call it "Gray Gardens". (JK!)
.......Jane

o
RE: Part V...Slice of Life 2

Hey Everyone,

I haven't been on here in so long. Remember me? I'm Jane from Alabama.

Hello Caroline, Tina, Stinkygarden, Lynn, Allison, Pesky, Sue20,Parma and the list goes on.

How is everyone?

......Jane

o

Trail, your bread is true artistry.

LOLA loves a freshly made bed.

o

No picture to post, but we had rain last night and now the sun is up and it's hitting the drops on the wet leaves of the apple tree. I don't have my glasses on, so the blurry drops are just sparkles of light, the sun hitting them in a prismatic way so the drops are sparkling all the brilliant shades of a rainbow...such a treat.

o

Here's one of the most gorgeous beaches on Cape Cod. It's Cahoon's Hollow Beach, part of the National Seashore.

o

Annie, did you lose your glasses again?
This is the 'shroom umbrella in my yard. The little wooden man is 5" tall. I've enjoyed watching it change from a what looked like an egg on a golf tee into this sun umbrella for a leprechaun.

o

LOL hhireno!

o

This is why I love this forum so much. Jan_in_wisconsin and her husband took the time to stop in and say hello this morning.

They were out my way visiting the Three French Hens Country Market in Morris, IL. I had something sweet and bottled water ready for their visit and they signed the giant chalkboard. Oh how nice they are!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Hi Jane, long time no see !! I like your hair that way !!!

o

Today there were so many butterflies in the butterfly bush that the bush was actually moving as they gently flew in and landed on the leaves.

o

Happy day today-DD's shower. Only 5 days to go! The bride with the wrap I made for her. She fell in love with this fabric, but we didn't buy it that day. I went back a few days later and bought it and surprised her with it.

o

Hi from 'somewhere' in the Pacific. Can't post pictures but can tell you I had a day off today and learned to stand-up paddle board! Way cool and quite relaxing, even though it is more of a workout than it looks.

Alex, love your photo and agree it's poster-worthy. Beautiful breads, blooms, houses, vacations, special people and places. Love touching each other's lives this way!

o

From Saturday; Summer Berry Pavlova with Bourbon Whipped Cream (courtesy of Alex Hitz's recipe in House Beautiful).

photo photo2.jpg

We had a family dinner Saturday evening at our home, with DH's three DB's and their DW's (DH's sister and her husband were unable to make it, but we sent home some goodies for them to enjoy, too). The dinner was in honor of my dear late in-laws (we had some money from their homeowners insurance after finally selling their house last year, and we all agreed a family dinner together would be a great way to spend it).

We all had a wonderful time visiting, and reminiscing, as well as eating!

PS I picked the raspberries myself at a local farm!

This post was edited by cat_mom on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 13:55

o

YUM !!! cat..that is SO gorgeous. Give J a hug....
pretty girls and houses and waving hi to Jane...beaches and more. WOW...we just keep getting better and better.

Here is a pic of DH...we had just gotten home on our bikes from a 22 mi round trip ride to the gym...it is 90 degrees out !! And the humidity is out of sight LOL. I jumped in after I took the pic...so none of me :) c

photo 2013-08-12123547_zps8e4247c2.jpg

We had homemade olive focaccia sandwiches on the porch and with the ceiling fan going and a slight breeze it was lovely. Now to make bread and pasta for a cyclist guest that is stopping in tonight. He started in CO over 3100 miles ago and will stop here on his way to FL. We are part of the Warmshowers that hosts cyclists when they are on tour. I have used it in the past and now get to play host to someone else. Passing along....DH and I are going to use it alot next Spring and Summer when we go on tour. c

o

I'm not a dessert person, but that pavlova has me drooling!

Trailrunner, your biking insights have me almost wanting to take it up...almost :) Sounds like a fantastic time and a chance to meet wonderful people.

o

alex...let me know...we can talk !! You would love it. c

o

I'll second Alex. C you inspired me to take my first bike ride in over 10 years yesterday and it was wonderful! My poor DH, an avid biker, was worried as I wobbled away but once I got out into the local college (no cars!!!!), I felt so comfortable. I don't even know you, but I was thinking of you while I was riding!

Thank you for sharing your slice of life!

o

My hydrangea looked quite pretty this morning. Since we have a new home, it was just planted last year, and bloomed beautifully this year. It's not very tall, but the blossoms are HUGE.

Trailrunner, what is the secret to not getting a sore bottom when riding bike? I would love to bike as we have wonderful trails around here, but I feel almost bruised after riding only a short way.

o

Thanks Alex and C!

Joyce, your hydrangea are glorious!

o

joyce you can get a gel cover for the seat of your bike or you can get biking shorts that have a padded seat. The key to not getting sore is to make sure that your bike seat is at the right position for you...need to go to a good bike shop to have it fitted for you and also that you start with a small amount of riding and build up. It takes time to get your butt used to it ! I would go to the bike shop with your bike and the shoes you are going to wear. They can help you . I would try the gel seat cover first and see how you like it. They are quite comfortable but can slip it not fitted properly. I must have calluses after all these years :) I don't get sore even after 50 miles ! Please let me know if this has helped you . It is great that you have good places to ride. c

o

Pesky, your daughter is beautiful and I bet she makes a gorgeous bride! I love the wrap. You are sew talented! lol

C., I wish I had your pool. Yesterday the humidity was at 85%. Today and tomorrow we get flooding rains. Yikes!

o

Waiting their turn for the bird feeders. They were lined up all the way across the sill, but only these two remained when I got close. The others flew to the safety of the viburnum. :)

o

My DH woke me at 3AM this morning. We grabbed a few quilts and headed outside to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower. So far away from any city lights up here in the mountains, the sky was filled with millions of stars. Lying on the back of his pickup bed's hard flatbed cover, snuggling between the quilts to stay warm, we saw dozens of meteors streaking across the early morning sky. It was very special . . . just like my sweet DH!
Lynn
 photo meteorshower_zpse46f7089.jpg

o

cat moom - beautiful Pavlova. But please tell us how you managed to slice it for serving?

I have visions of those luscious layers sliding right off the plate. I'm afraid I'd have to stick skewers through it to keep it upright.

But now I'm printing the recipe - it does look stunning.

o

Cyn, the birds are cute but I love those glass orbs on your sill.

Lynne, I wanted to see the meteor shower so much. Close to the city, we only have a chance of seeing the brightest ones. Last night and this morning we had monsoon type rain, so no meteor watching for me. What a shame to miss it. I am jealous.

I haven't taken any pictures lately as I have been busy battling moths in my closet. I WILL win. I hope.

o

marie_cate, thank you! I posted more pics in Kitchens (and more in my PB acct; Food Album).

I used a small serrated knife to "slice" it. It didn't exactly slice, but didnt slide apart either--it kind of crunched together and mushed is a pretty accurate description! Didn't look pretty in the least after that, and that's being kind, but it sure tasted sooooooo good!

I'm very jealous Lynne! We couldn't see the meteor shower where we are (~40 min north of NYC). Too many clouds last night. :(

o

Cat-mom et al,

I love to make pavlovas. I make mini ones, single serving size, so that I dont have to slice it!

o

Our town is part of the "Wild Pink Yonder" tour this year so we are "Pinkifying" the town to raise money for Breast Cancer. The ride goes through here tomorrow. My Aunt passed away a few years ago from it so the big ribbon is for her the little ones are people I know who are surviving breast cancer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Pink Yonder

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 18:25

o

http://www.housebeautiful.com/kitchens/recipes/summer-berry-pavlova-recipe-0713

cat_mom
That pavlova is prettier than the one the recipe shows. I plan on making it for a neighborhood dinner party this weekend. Thank you so much for sharing!

o

mtn--yes, I knew about making individual ones when I made it, but then you lose out on the impact; the presentation of a layered, full-size Pavlova. The old form vs function conundrum, dessert edition!

bonnieann; thank you so much!!! It was well worth any effort (really not difficult to make at all).

You have to share pics of yours after the dinner party!!!

CLBlakely, what a wonderful thing to do!!!

o

Having a happy, if short morning this morning. I've been hearing the kingfisher rattle a lot but hadn't caught a glimpse of him til this morning. Saw the flash of blue go by as it rattled away.

And when I was looking for him, I saw mama grazing away. She had 2 little ones, but has since been keeping her distance from them, though they still seem to hang together.

Reason why it's a short morning... my least favorite day of the year. DH is renting the log splitter as we speak, and we spend the day, all day as we have to maximize use of the machine, slaving over the loud and noisy device doing the back-breaking task of splitting up all that wood. I love how the wood heats us and keeps us deliciously warm all winter long, but sure do hate splitting it...though that certainly warms us too!

o

i so enjoy these threads still. I have not had time to take many pictures lately. When I do, they are mostly of the kids and that gets boring for others. :)

So today I am sharing what made my morning....

The perfect perfume as far as I am concerned. I just got it yesterday. Brings me back to sunny fun days at the beach in college. Perfect blend of vanilla, coconut, suntan lotion and beachy smell to me. :)

I don't know what the heck limited edition means when it comes to perfume, but it sure got me to order another one ASAP. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanilla Summer

o

Now that sounds like the perfect perfume for me................Thanks for the trip back to the beach.

o

A butterfly was nectaring on my patio plants this crystal clear morning -- such beautiful light! I bought this annual flower because it attracts bees, dragonflies, butterflies -- but forgot the name of it. Does anybody know?

141_3r.jpg_1

Cat_mom, I was eyeing that Pavlova recipe in HB this summer. How was the taste? Yours is even prettier than the magazine photo!

Still having fun looking at everyone's pictures -- so nice to see a slice of your lives.

o

DD and me.

Looking at the pic, I feel the need to explain that yes, we do slather the child with sunscreen but she's Korean and tans instantly no matter what we do!

o

awm03, thank you so much! *blush*

It was VERY delicious, scrumptious actually! Might need to make it again--soon!

o

Today is a fiddle in the kitchen day. Topped up the granola. Started sourdough starter. Cleaned up the bean sprouts. And it will be my first attempt at clam chowder hubby fell in love with it a few years ago at a seafood buffet. ( I am not really into seafood) I won't be tasting along the way I hope it is what he has been dreaming of.

o

that's a fantastic butterfly pic!! (and lots of other nice pics... i will have to look at previous threads too...)

it's been beautiful these last couple of days... this is on a walk down by the river.

photo 2013-08-14_18-11-47_78.jpg

o

Aw, love the feet on the bench. Sweet.

I was sitting on my porch when a giant green trailer rolled by just now. That's odd in itself since my street is a quiet one. Turns out it is a giant video game on wheels. My neighbor hired it for entertainment at her son's birthday party.

It's a riot. Inside are about six giant video screens and a big couch. The kids all get controllers and can play video games in there. What a great idea. The kids are having a ball. First they had pizza on the front lawn. Easy peasy birthday party.

This is what I saw:

o

Here's a closer shot of the game going on inside the truck.

They can choose the games according to the ages of the players. Some people have rented them for grown up parties. The link is below in case you're interested. So, that's my slice for the day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Game Truck

o

Sueb, that pic needs to be framed!

Ahhhh, grouting is done! Tomorrow we start moving things in, well I've already hung some art up because I couldn't stand the bare walls any longer, and I get to think about re-arranging furniture :)

I really need to paint this room, but it took me forever to find a gray that wasn't too blue or green. I believe that I'll think on that some more and do it in the fall/winter, when we can open windows!

o

beautiful pics cont, here is dinner tonight....chilly in AL....go ahead and laugh,,,upper 60's is WAY cool for here in Aug.

homemade chicken soup and a baguette that didn't sell at my farmer's market booth...

photo IMG_6455_zps631c73fd.jpg

this is what did sell ! I am ecstatic about how well it is doing. Have lots of orders every week now...and DH wants to leave town and go biking ! Yikes...what to do ???? :)

photo IMG_6454_zps32c517af.jpg

o

Trailrunner, put a stamp on those and send them up there to Connecticut. And put a stamp on that soup, too. mmm

o

Chilly here in NY, too, C. I made Tortilla Soup last night, so we had some last night and tonight. It definitely hit the spot!

o

awm03 - beautiful picture! It's a verbena bonariensis... usually just called "verbena." I'm sitting here enjoying everyone's special slice-o-life and the cat sleeping on my lap is enjoying every minute!

This post was edited by merrygardener on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 0:17

o

Thanks so much, merrygardener! Ah yes, verbena bonariensis, or vervaine, as it was labeled at the nursery. It's a wonderful plant -- long lasting, attracts nice critters, adds height. Just lovely! I'll plant lots of verbena next year for sure.

Thank you again, and please kiss your nice kitty on the forehead for me :)

o

Field of sunflowers growing just down the road from us:

photo 1126f1bf-a6a6-4daa-8592-85139ab13c75_zps846afe98.jpg

And a simple lunch: Tomato-Corn Pie made with homegrown tomatoes, corn, thyme, and fresh eggs from our hens. (the olive oil crust was a bit crumbly)

photo c378c8d4-6f84-470f-b774-23166a81dc0e_zps630af437.jpg

o

Cozy-beautiful sunflower picture, but bittersweet, reminding me that summer is coming to an end. You lunch looked quite tasty.

o

Cozy farmhouse,

Those sunflowers are superb.

Ohh and the pie!!!

o

Would you care to share the recipe for the corn pie? Always looking for veggie options.

o

The sunflowers look so much better in person, my poor quality cellphone photo does not do them justice. I love their cheery "faces".

ellendi, here is a link to the recipe for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato-Corn Pie

o

I see signs of an early fall.

o

Lovin' the food porn!

Making gumbo with the last of my garden okra.

o

Those leaves turning scare me .........................even if they are beautiful.

o

I am sooo behind with these posts! What a great way to catch up on a Friday evening.

Been really busy lately, have a job next week styling photos for a catalog shoot, oh wait, an "International" catalog...lol. It's an outdoor setting, focusing on what is underfoot, that's all I'll say.

The art director wants the scene to look like a Vineyard in Tuscany....Anyway, my kitchen looks like Home Goods and Pier 1 threw up in it.....

o

This thread has been like sitting on a bench down town inside the Art Gallery except......much more fun!
What great lives we mostly live............family, love, travel,
food and homes (spelled as where the heart is).
I hope I never forget to start my day with a big Thank You because I'm so blessed and it looks like sooooooo
many on GW are too!

o

As citywoman says...what fun to come back and check in as often as possible. Almost at an end to V...hope we can keep it going !

DH made steaks on the grill pan and homemade fries in our deep fat fryer...we love the built in as we use it more than if we had to haul everything out ! Not sure my waistline needs them but boy...they were yum ! Curry catsup for the condiment....be glad to share how you make it if you like. We got used to it in the Netherlands when we had patat frites. c

photo IMG_6458_zps3986da46.jpg

o

Curry catsup - a big improvement over mayonnaise! Please do share, trail.

o

"This thread has been like sitting on a bench down town inside the Art Gallery except......much more fun! "

Yes! Great way to put it.

o

java...here you go ! Make Alton Brown's curry powder and then add it to taste to Heinz catsup...I also add a sprinkle of sugar as it sweetens the spices a bit. Hope you enjoy !

Here is a link that might be useful: Alton Brown curry powder recipe

o

Been wanting to post this one for awhile... I call it "fabric indecision".... Sigh...

Bee's room full of stuff reminded me once again.... anyone else have an area like this?

This post was edited by gooster on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 14:45

o

Junky pic to say thanks for the inspiration. Trails bread pic made me research artisan breads so for the first time I am attempting Sourdough Bread - no knead kind. It has taken a few days but tomorrow it gets baked.

Catmom's pavlova has been haunting me too so I bought the eggs today.

Bee I'd be super happy to find that kind of puke in my kitchen.

o

CLBlakely--separating the eggs is the hardest part! The rest is easy, just messy! LOL Post pics when you make it!

o

Always have the eggs chilled to separate and warm to beat them. Never separate over the bowl...use a new container each time just in case ;)

Glad you were inspired to bake bread !! Please post pics. c

o

Consumed my entire week, but it was soooo worth it.

o

Congrats to the happy couple pesky! :)

C--did all that, still managed to lose two! Considering I doubled the recipe, not horrible odds!!! LOL

o

Congrats Pesky all your hard work paid off. Pics are lovely.

o

Pesky-the pictures are beautiful. It looks like it was a wonderful ceremony. Best wishes to the happy couple.

o

What a perfect day. You were especially lucky with the weather.
You can see the joy in the photos. And that pug! All details accounted for.

o

Please feel free to laugh. There are several things that went wrong. Not enough flour, house to cold and starter that was not fully started. But on the flip side it does taste great. On to the next experiment LOL

o

CL...what recipe were you using ? Perhaps I could help...let me know..taste is everything ! c

o

I used this youtube recipe but it was way too much water. Plus someone on the cooking thread thinks my starter did not have enough natural yeast yet. Plus my house is only 65 degrees. I will try again in a day or so when my starter gets better.

Here is a link that might be useful: no knead sourdough

o

There are a number of problems with what she is doing. First it is best to use weights to make this kind of bread...you can't just say " about 1/3 c of starter " . Won't work. This is supposed to be a very wet dough. So her measurements for water aren't off but she didn't allow for the wet starter ! You are starting with something that is quite difficult unless you are used to working with wet doughs. Jim Lahey has a wonderful and easy wet dough to try first before you use a sourdough wet dough . He doesn't use weights but his formula is impossible to mess up. I would be glad to give you a perfect formula for a sourdough boule like you are trying to make and it is tried and true as I use it all the time. The weights are very accurate and it is fool proof.Do the link first a few times though.

The other problem with her starter/possibly your starter is the way it is being fed and stored. It has to be fed = parts water and flour every single day. It has to have 1/2 of it thrown out every single day for the first week and then add in the new flour and water. This makes it very healthy and prevents over-growth of unwanted bacteria and helps the good yeast thrive. Another thing is how it is stored. It must only be lightly covered. It has to be really stirred every day and kept only lightly covered as yeasts are aerobic and need oxygen to thrive.

I don't know how she got her starter going. I have a t&t formula for that too :) Mine has been growing very happily for 4 years and I use it weekly.

There is something wrong with the Youtube as I kept getting an echo and couldn't get it to play right so I gave up ! The temp in your house isn't too cool. A healthy starter loves cooler temps. Try the link below a few times and get used to wet doughs and then I will give you a wonderful sd formula !! Let me know how it goes. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Lahey NYT

o

This sweet kitty showed up at our door yesterday afternoon. Made himself at home as you can see. He wanted to go back outside after his little "cat nap". Haven't seen him since.

o

sparklebread, that is an amazingly adorable photo. Maybe he's far from home, stopping by on his journey back there.

o

We have lift off but I cheated I added a 1/4 tsp of yeast. I think I need to see what starter should look like before I use it by itself again. Tasted great but could still add more flour as it spread more than rose but it has a great texture this time. I promise to change the subject next time.

o

sparklebread--the young folks call it "couch surfing" as they travel around and stop to sleep on people's couches (of course the owner of the couch knows they are coming).

Ok, so here is my day yesterday. Last photo of the day that was taken just for me. We felt just as wilted as the grape leaf in the photo. Anybody want to photo shop a good leaf in there? (Stuff looks a lot better "on set" than it did on my kitchen table, huh?)

o

My sunglasses with DD reflected in them.

o

cl..here you go..I made these pics previously for someone to see what the starter should look like before feeding and after...I don't know what you started with or what your feeding/storage situation is. If you keep it on the counter it has to be fed at least every 24 hrs. When it is still developing it won't rise bread unless it is at least a week old and you have fed it as I mentioned before. You have to promote the good yeast/bacteria. Here are couple pics.

This is before feeding :

starter photo IMG_2258.jpg

this is after 6 hrs ...you can see it has "fallen" a bit. It doesn't affect its ability to rise bread if it has started to fall.

after 6 hrs ( has fallen a bit) photo IMG_2259.jpg

Hope this helps. I feed my starter one time and it rises to fill the container in a couple hours or less. My rye starter is slower takes over night. Because mine is so old it needs only the one feeding.

I would be glad to help you troubleshoot your recipe and share a really good one if you will email me through GW. You are on the right track ! c

o

My son spent the summer in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, and was treated to this double rainbow

photo IMGP0319_zpscc2a4440.jpg

o

I guess I'll close out this thread with my pic of the day. The weather is soooo exquisite today...blue sky, low humidity, comfortable temps, and the air smelled so clean. So DH and I went for a hike at a nearby state park this a.m. It was so enjoyable. I took this snap of a lagoon along the way. Just a luscious walk. But already the colors in the trees and the angle of the sun are starting to hint that fall is on the way....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here