Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reupholster my bed or get a new one?

Posted by ID2014 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 7:41

We have a very pretty 5 year old fully upholstered bed done in a pale linen. It had held up very well, even with my dogs, except for the side boards- the fabric has some "rings" where it has gotten wet. One or two of these are from wet dogs rubbing against it but some are simply from a glass of water spilling. Recently one of my dogs climbed on the edge and tore the fabric, so now I have to do something. Is there a fabric durable enough to consider recovering? What about leather (real or faux?) Or should I just cut my losses and get a new metal or wood bed? I don't want to have to recover every few years.
My style is simple and modern so many of the fabrics that may hide dirt better don't appeal to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reupholster my bed or get a new one?

Have you looked at Crypton? It's very stain resistant. My SIL is a facilities manager at a nursing home and they recovered all of the chairs in the dining room and lounge in Crypton. It isn't cheap but it is durable and comes in a fairly wide selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crypton

o

I'd be temped to look at an indoor/outdoor fabric, like from Sunbrella, and reupholster in that.

o

There are a number of acrylic fabrics out that wear like iron without feeling like it. We slipcovered my mother's small sofa in a creamy white one with some texture - it's a very soft, pretty ottoman weave, looks like a linen and cotton blend, and she can spill coffee, red wine, or anything on it, and it beads up and wipes away clean.

Great for someone for whom age has produced arthritic fingers and an occasional tremor or two.

o

Has anyone used a faux leather (vinyl?) in their home that looks good? I found a faux shagreen that seems like it could be interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here