Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You've got to see this CL find! Balloon chair

Posted by my3dogs (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 7:37

Many of you know that I am teaching myself to upholster, and have re-done some chairs with the help of blogs and You Tube videos. I've bought some old chairs from CL, and have more to work on, but I still look.

Yesterday, in the Antiques section, I saw this. Long story short, it's mine for $50. The seller's in-laws were 'collectors' but she has no idea where they got it. It has been re-upholstered, obviously a while ago. She says there is NO damage to the cane anywhere. Look at the link below to see a similar one at Neiman Marcus for $2800.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's probably too 'literal', but I have always liked this fabric on Etsy. :-)

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Balloon chair at Neiman Marcus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You've got to see this CL find! Balloon chair

I don't know that it would be too literal...I like the colors for your chair better than the blue. Perhaps just on the back? Or if you do it like the new one from NM--you could do just the pillow and the rest in a coordinating fabric.

o

I like the idea of using the balloon fabric, it's a fun chair and would work well with your new chair, I love it!!! You really have a good eye.

o

Wow, you really got a deal. I love the chairs. Personally, I'm not crazy about the fabric, although it would look cute on a throw pillow.

o

Nice find for $50. I agree, a different fabric would work better?

o

I will give it plenty of thought before I fire up the sewing machine! I did order a 1/2 yard of that fabric a while ago long before I saw the chair, but I suspect a pillow would be best.

o

A great find and an interesting chair design, M3D. I imagine that it was originally created to shield a person from unwanted breezes and/or perhaps provide a bit of shade . . . or to keep bats out of your hair (LOL)? It's just my one opinion but the present upholstery looks too formal to me. I can't imagine it in most living rooms or family rooms, although perhaps in a sunroom. I'd much prefer it in a less formal, beachy, summery or tropical fabric. Maybe a retro barkcloth? OK, sorry, I'm rambling. It's just that it's such an odd design.
Lynn

o

I love the chair -- and the fabric!

o

That's it, I'm moving to Maine. You always get the best stuff!

As usual, I don't have any helpful suggestions. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

o

I will give it plenty of thought before I fire up the sewing machine! I did order a 1/2 yard of that fabric a while ago long before I saw the chair, but I suspect a pillow would be best.

o

That chair is so cool! I could see it becoming a real conversation piece in your home once you're done with it.

o

Well, I don't think this chair will actually end up in my home. I bought it as it's so like the pricey ones in Restoration Hardware (link below) and I just want to re-do it! I don't think the tufting is good on the chair, so won't do that. It will likely be a simple linen, perhaps with a thin stripe.

I may see if my favorite local shop owner wants to put it in her shop once it's done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Versailles Domed Burlap-Backed Chair

o

Interesting find, BDM. I can't wait to see how you choose to upholster it.

o

Cool chair! You do have the best CL items in your area. I can't get over the prices. In my area they want a lot of money for junk. So jealous... .

I think the chair would look best without the tufting in a solid fabric/neutral color. A solid fabric would highlight the chairs lines, and a neutral color would be better for resale. I love that sand colored Belgian linen on the RH piece.

o

I just did an 'RH' take-off in linen on this chair from CL. Solid oak, and I bet it weighs 40 lbs without ANY fabric.

Before
Photobucket

Stripped and what a JOB that was. I filled 3 LARGE trash bags with many layers of old musty stuff. I took off the old dark finish after this shot and stained it with Minwax English Chestnut, topped with tung oil. The grain shows much better now.

Photobucket

Almost after, as I am adding nail heads to the perimeter of the front of the back - that sounds strange, doesn't it? I also hadn't attached the welt at the bottom of the back. I had a carpenter friend saw off the curve on the bottom of the back as I preferred it straight.

border="0" alt="Photobucket">

With a pillow made from 100% flax fabric (eBay, $8.99 for 2 yards, and it's $39.99 a yard at Calico Corners) and the welt is the solid linen from the chair.
Photobucket

That chair is a riff on this one from RH linked below. I couldn't leave the side of the frame exposed on the sides as it is in the RH one as mine was FULL of nail and tack holes.

Here is a link that might be useful: 18th C. French Burlap Chair $1695

o

OWE! I much prefer the chair with the caining!!

o

Last year or so DH refinished and recaned one of those chairs. The one that came in was caned all over. I kept yelling at him to take a pic of it but he never did. I kept thinking 'Eat your heart out RH - this is the real deal!'.

o

Love the chair, not crazy about the balloon fabric. I'd do it in a simple linen look fabric, and add a throw pillow from the balloon fabric if you love it.

o

Well I love the balloon fabric!!!! It might be a little over whelming on that chair since the chair itself should be the star of the show. But I would find something to do with that fabric :)

Still working on my twin CL chairs. I'm going to finish one and then take a pic of the 2 together, before and after. Almost done recovering the first one. Still have to find or make some trim to cover all the staples though. I used a drop cloth to re-upholster it. Liking the look so far.

o

I saw some heavy simple striped linen at Joann's yesterday that I fell in love with. It comes in several stripe colors, and I bought home a swatch for ANOTHER chair I'll be doing, where I will have a couple of fabrics coordinating.

It's the light colored in this pic, and has the double black stripe every 2.5". The second pic shows the true color better. I WISH I could find it online to show you the various colors available, but I haven't found it on their website. That is the type of fabric that I will likely do the balloon chair in. Stripe color for the balloon chair is TBD.

All these chairs are my 'lessons' in my self taught learn-to-upholster-at-home classes. Most will be put up for sale. This one is the most expensive at $50, but as TheFoxesPad pointed out above, it's the real deal, and fabric will make one heck of a difference in how it looks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

That's a porter's chair, where the hall porter sat in the entryway. The canopy was there to keep drafts off the porter.

Many chairs are upholstered in tufted leather, but those would have a solid top, not a caned top.

Here is a link that might be useful: lots of porter's chairs

o

I have seen it called balloon, as in the link below, porter's and 'queen chair'. A 'rose by any other name'...
Seeing all those fabrics and the leather ones makes me SO eager to play with it.

The closest I have seen is the one from Neiman Marcus with the caned top. The seller called it "Wicker Chair with Overhead". :-)

Whatever one calls it, it's going to be fun to work on! I can't wait to get that tufted blue fabric off - once I get it home, of course!

Here is a link that might be useful: balloon chair

o

FYI: the striped linen fabric that you selected at JoAnns is also currently available at Hobby Lobby. HL had 2 color choices while JoAnns had a few more...Not sure of the price difference.

o

Thanks, rather! We have no Hobby Lobbys in Maine, and the closest is about 100 miles away.

The price at Joann is $19.99 a yard, BUT, from this Friday through Sunday, Home Dec fabrics are 60% off there. Plus, in the flyer I have, there is also a coupon for $25% off your entire purchase those 3 days. My final price should be around $6.00 a yard!

I picked up these swatches last night. They also had a navy with white stripes, as well as black, and solid colors of the golden and the off-white. Because I am drawn to warm colors, I am favoring the red stripe, which I think would go well with the cane. The background color is also similar to the RH and Neiman Marcus ones, so I get to see how it may look in their photos. The one on the front left has a navy stripe and I also like the off-white with the pale blue stripe in the front center.

Photobucket

o

Your chair will be wonderful to see when you finish. DD and I stayed at Hotel Monaco in Portland, OR some time back and enjoyed seeing balloon style chairs there in a part of their extended foyer. I had not remembered exactly what theirs looked like, (just had fun sitting in them), but this photo below was one from their website...and it's a much smaller style and has more open arms, but still with the covered top.

I love the fabric you're planning to use and think that will be so great looking. BTW, thanks for the info about Joann's since I've been eyeing a home dec fabric there, so this wkend will be a great time to get it! Can hardly wait to see your finished chair.

o

Your fabric selection is perfect (as usual!). And I can't wait until I get back from my wknd. trip to go to Joann's! Thanks for the heads up!

o

You've done it again!! Like an artist with only so many walls, you do need an outlet for your creations, and hopefully your local shop will be the place where you can consign the results of your overstock of fabulous finds/ re- designs. I like the idea of a print on the back, with solid linen on front, or all solid. Love seeing all your "stuff"!
Marti

o

I was at Joann's shortly after they opened. Not only did I get the gold and red stripe above, but I fell in love with this combo. The first pic is taken in natural light and the second is in my office, with the shades down to keep the raging heat out. Now, I need to make up my mind won which to use!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

My oh my! what a gorgeous project this is going to be!

I love your fabric finds! You really are an artist, and LOVE watching your projects come together!

o

That paisley fabric is one I have a sample of--loved it... and I'm still trying to choose between it and another! Also love your balloon fabric, so unique!

o

sujafr, If you happen to have a Joann Fabric near you, that is where I got mine yesterday as they are having a 3 day sale, through tomorrow with 60% off their home dec fabrics. I'm also on their mailing list, so got a flyer for a 25% off your entire purchase, even sale items, on top of that. THAT would help me make up my mind! :-)

o

IN my email notice, also had coupon for free shipping over $50 online!

o

I've seen what looks like the NM chair at Tuesday Morning several times~
they seem to come and go, but possibily from other stores where they've been sitting too long. I can't remember the price, but don't think it was over a thousand.

I also stayed in a hotel, The Wyndham , on the San Antonio Riverwalk, and they were similar in fabric to those another poster saw at a hotel in Oregon. They're quite interesting.

o

Very interesting thread. Following along to see what you do with all that pretty fabric!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here