Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black or white shelves

Posted by Janice742 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 7:33

I'm trying to finish my office and I desperately need storage.

Found shelf units that will fit in my space. I don't have a photo of the wall they will go on, but here is the piece of furniture that I already have in the room:

Here is what I found:

Or this:

I will use plain decorative boxes for storage and some simple accessories on the shelves. Also some books, but not too many.

I plan to use two units, with a 30" wide lateral file between.
This will take up the whole space

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black or white shelves

I love that credenza and the wallpaper is so fun! I think I would go with white shelves so you don't have all darkish wood furniture in the room. Also, I have learned the hard way that you have to dust dark furniture A LOT....I bought my first few pieces of espresso furniture and while I love the work I hate how dusty they always look. Plus I think the items you do place on the white shelves will show more than on a darker background.

o

I am going to respectfully disagree with joanie. Always hard to tell on a monitor, but your woodwork and the light color in the wallpaper look a bit more off-white than white, and I think the stark white of the bookshelves won't work. Even if that were not an issue, you'll get a weird sort of optical illusion with the bottom half of the white bookcase "disappearing" against the white on the bottom half of the wall, if you know what I mean. And, finally, I don't really care for mixing white furniture with dark wood furniture.

I like the dark wood option much better.

LOVE your wallpaper. Can I ask where you found it?

o

black

o

The brown ones.

o

The first set, which may be black, but looks brown in the photo! :-)

o

OK...SueB et al changed my mind...dark wood will look better....but oy...the dusting!

o

They are black - from Dania.
That's what I'm leaning toward... but I wasn't completely sure.

The credenza is a dark flat painted grey - but I don't mind mixing colors. I plan to go to the store to see the shelves in person - so I'll be able to make a better decision.

The wallpaper is from Harlequin - Folia line.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

o

I like the style of the dark one.
Remember you can always repeat your wallpaper by wrapping your storage boxes or books in it. A little will go a long way with your paper. It is pretty !

o

I'd actually go with a dark or very dark brown, not stark black.

o

Just make sure the supporting cross bars won't bother you.

o

Although dark brown would work nicely, it will be hard to match the file cabinet that I plan to put in between the shelves.

I really need the file cabinet!

o

The dark one looks great.

o

So is the gray file cabinet something you have that is existing? If you love it, I would try to find something you can have painted the same flat, dark gray, so the combination of the two tall units and the credenza in between will look intentional. But.... I'm having a little trouble visualizing that gorgeous wallpaper in warm tones of green, brown and yellow, with gray or black furniture. It seems that a warm brown fruitwood finish of furniture would look best.

o

I don't have the file cabinet yet. I need to purchase one. They are mostly utilitarian looking and don't come in very many color choices. That was one of the reasons why I was going for either white or black. I want to achieve as seamless a look as possible.

As for the paper - the "stems" of the flowers are a very dark charcoal. Almost black.

Another option would be to introduce a metal:

o

I like the ones in the first photo.

o

The first one, at least on my monitor, looks dark brown or bronze. What material is it?

o

I just looked it up again, and it comes in either a bronze steel frame with brown glass, or a black steel frame with clear glass.

I'm guessing this photo is the bronze steel.

If I go with the bronze - then I'll need to figure out the file cabinet. Black won't work....

o

The file cabinet would be easy to spray paint but I do not know if you can get a bronze.
Maybe try wallpaper the front of file cabinet drawers

o

I like the last picture you posted! Now, trying to find a horizontal file cabinet that will work with it...

o

Well, I'm not done yet. After looking at all of those options I presented, I've realized that the shelves are not tall enough. I really need at least 80" high - otherwise, it will look rather squatty.

So - I found these on CL:

They are a faux bamboo - 82" high x 26"wide x 12"deep

I have them on a 24hr hold. I really like the look and the scale -

Not sure about what I would put in between - a file cabinet will not look right.

Will they work in the room with my console?

o

I like the dark shelves and the metal shelves. I am not a huge fan of the white or bamboo shelves. But, if you love them grab them! It really is all relative. Once you get them in the room no one, including you, will care that there were other options.

. . . Except the white ones would be a mistake. Lol.

o

Ooh, I like the last ones you posted. The metal x supports look like they don't clash/fit/go better with those metal ones, too.

o

The white option looks too much like an Ikea piece for a garage or basement, to me. Contemporary but lacking real style.

I like the bamboo look (but also like the metal-with-wood-shelves). If you go for the bamboo, how much file-storage space will you be needing? Cuz there are file-storage units that are made in "natural" materials -- rattan, etc.

Is this one too small?

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Rattan-2-drawer-File-Cabinet/4134986/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=UhFJiAAABUu8wnnd:20130823143004:s

This one's the wrong color, but it's an example of what's out there:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/390492982991?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

o

nice job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here