Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changing from color to a neutral background

Posted by jennybog (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 7:32

Hi Everyone, I have a dilemma. I have a Antique New England cape.The downstairs has 5 rooms that open up to each other.Kitchen opens into breakfast room, that opens into dining room, that opens into living-room.I also have a small bedroom that comes off the dining room.
Right now my kitchen which is very small, has cranberry red cabinets . The living room which is at the other end is also a cranberry red.It has very good balance. The breakfast room is new Harbor Yellow bm,Dining room is a med green.It all goes very nice.All my fabrics work very well together. The problem is that after 9 years I need to repaint and the fabric has become faded. So i would like to update. The issue is.I have always been drawn to a all neutral homes. That way i can add color per season ect.. How do i get out of this color rut.I don't want to make the wrong decision of course.Will I be in shock if go white?Thank you sorry this is so long here is a pic of kitchen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changing from color to a neutral background

I also like neutralish rooms. White white will be to stark against the warm midtones it sounds like you have in the rest of the adjacent areas. An off-white or cream color would be better. With the black cabinet and mid-tones elsewhere, even a gray or beige with a green or yellow undertone in a light value would look whitish in comparison, and might be more historically appropriate.

o
RE: Changing from color to a neutral background

"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." :)

You don't have to go white with the cabinets. I love white cabinets, but if you don't have a lot of natural light, you might be happier with some gentle color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here