Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing new paint color for dining rm/library

Posted by sueb20 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 7:23

The painter is coming to do some work in DS' room, and while he's here I'm going to have him do the dining room, which is more of a library/gathering spot. I'm usually good with this, but I just can't decide on a color. It's a small room, maybe 13' x 14', with a lot of dark oak furniture and not much other color. We took up the rug because we suspected our dog was having an allergic reaction to it, so we aren't working around a rug. The seating is brown leather. Two chairs have upholstered seats that are a simple geometric pattern in cream and green but there is so little green, it's a nonissue.

I'm going to post pics of the other colors in the surrounding rooms. Colors throughout the first floor are variations of red/rust, gold, green. A few shots of blue.

Currently the DR is this color, which I have liked but am ready for a change to perhaps something a bit lighter and a little bit cooler...but that's the tricky part because all the other colors throughout the first floor are warm. So, maybe not cooler but a bit lighter and brighter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing new paint color for dining rm/library

The biggest span of color is in the kitchen/family room, a large open space. It's painted River Gorge Gray, which reads more green than gray in my very bright space (back wall is almost all windows).

o

The foyer, which is right next to the DR, is Everlasting, a light sand color.

o

The living room, which is opposite the DR on the other side of the foyer, is SW Blonde.

o

Finally, we have a small sunroom/office off the living room, which is BM Mesquite. It is brighter and lighter than this chip indicates.

So, the sight line from one side of the dining room is: Everlasting, Blonde, and Mesquite. The Mesquite room is the opposite end of the house from the DR but since it's not a large house, it's not far away!

Rather than introduce a separate color, I thought about going a bit darker than the Blonde in the DR, but I think I have enough green and gold going on. Still pondering a variation of gold, though.

o

For a library, I say go rich and bold, something like BM New York State of Mind. Blue with the oak and the leather would be gorgeous.

o

I have a friend whose library is done in C2 Karma (a gold). It is GORGEOUS.

o

Funny, that is color of my beloved mohair reading chair in the family room. I couldn't live with that strong a blue on the walls, though. It looks great in the pic but it's just not me, and it's so much stronger than the other colors I'm working with, I feel that it would throw my whole "picture" out of balance.

I could, however, live with something like Mount St Anne, a relative of some of my all time favorite colors (Healing Aloe and Quiet Moments).

o

Mt. St. Anne is a gorgeous color. I had my BR in Quiet Moments until I repainted it in May.

Not sure, though, about Mt. St. Anne for a library. I think it's too cool for the leather. Maybe I"m being staid here in thinking of libraries as being warm and cozy.

o

I think BM's Birmingham Cream would also look nice with your colors.

o

I don't know if I'm brave enough, but I love dark oak mission furniture with dramatic green walls. From a distance at least, Guacamole looks very similar to the Mesquite that's at the other end of the house, several shades darker.

Guacamole next to River Gorge Gray isn't good at all, but those two colors aren't too visible to each other even though they are in adjacent rooms.

o

That green is gorgeous. Also check out BM Palmer Green, from the Williamsburg Collection. Perfect for a library, and a bit richer than the Guacomole. With the leather chairs and the oak? Beautiful!

o

patricia...that color reads a little too pastel in my room. If I tweaked it and deepened it a bit, though, it ends up being almost the same color I have now.

I could go with something like BM Guest House but I dunno, it's not really thrilling me even though it "works" with all the other factors.

o

I agree something like the Mesquite but darker. Or BM Sterling Silver.

o

I like the idea of blue. . .

o

I love both of those darker greens! Beautiful.

o

I had BM Hampshire Gray from the historical collection in my prior den. It's more an army fatigue green, and it was classic.

o

Well, Tib, I might be coming around to the dramatic blue idea... I have a bunch of color sheets on the way from BM in various greens, but I am not convinced that any will play well with the River Gorge Gray in the kitchen. I thought again about my lovely blue chair (which was encouraged by friends at GW when I was again, hesitant about blue) and the blue in some artwork we have...and I found this Nocturnal Gray, which looks great with the RGG. So now I'm ordering up some blue samples.

I can make it work further by placing something in the sunroom/office, which you see from the front door and dining room, where I now have a bright green chair. I'm thinking either a new blue chair, or even just a big blue pillow on the chair. Scope creep...

o

That is a gorgeous blue and I think has the depth and handsomeness to work in a library. Look at how great it looks with those heavy, dark doors! Your leather chairs would be great with that blue.

o

What features does the room have? Windows, moulding, etc? The pic from Tibb is great, but the amount of wallspace shown is minimal. Will be very different if you have more wall showing.

o

There isn't much wall at all, really. The room is smallish, maybe 13' x 14', and there are 5 windows (3 on one wall, 2 on another) and 2 open doorways. The longest wall other than the window walls is covered by two large bookcases side by side. So there really won't be much wall color visible in the end. There is also a long, low radiator cover under the set of 3 windows that is currently painted the trim color (white) but I might paint it the wall color.

o

If there isn't a lot of wall area, that is a GREAT opportunity to use a bold color, sue! It'll make your windows and woodwork really stand out and look great.

o

Not the greatest picture but I do have a family room with brown leather couches and lots of bookcases. We used Shelbourne Buff and love it. At various times it goes gold and greenish.

o

It sounds like the perfect room to use bold color, then! Just stick with what is you, a color that you enjoy!

o

That blue Tibbrix suggested is pretty! I hope it works out - it could be really striking.

o

I am never sure if using a lot of similar shades (like choosing another gray green) works or if it looks like near-misses? Or if you can even tell they are different because of the light.

Are you changing anything else in the room. Do you have any inspirations? It sounds like a chance to be a little daring, like FnB Brinjal.

o

Right, none of the greens I've looked at are working -- they just look awful with the dark gray-green in the kitchen and I just can't ignore it. The dark gray-blues though look great with the kitchen color. I'm just waiting for my samples to arrive.

My only inspiration is: The painter is coming to repaint my son's room, so while he's here, maybe I'll have him paint the dining room?

tfitz, the color scheme in your LR is almost identical to my LR, including the dark woodwork, wall color, and rusty reds! So I guess I'm already doing that scheme and trying something different (without being too radically weird in the context of the rest of the house) here.

I already have ordered a beautiful blue pillow so I think I am close to committing to this blue thing...

o

Ah, give credit where credit is due. That blue is on sub's own post and is her find, not mine. But it's a gorgeous blue, and I think perfect for a library, esp. one with limited wall area.

Sue, I really think you will LOVE what a handsome, bold blue does for the feel of that room. I say go for it.

o

I have a winner, and it's not the color I thought it would be! I ended up with color sheets for Stonybrook, which is far down on the "strip" with two of my favorites, Healing Aloe and Quiet Moments. I had never even looked at this color before but I figured I'd add it to my sample order along with Nocturnal and a few others. Stonybrook is a bit lighter than Nocturnal Gray but it's still bold. And it's got a bit of green in there too. Looks great with the River Gorge Gray next door. I think I'm in love.

By the way, this isn't my dining room! I don't even know when the painter is coming, but I think I'm all ready for him when he does.

And funny...this all started with DS' room, which is being painted Healing Aloe!

This post was edited by sueb20 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 20:47

o

Sue, i LOVE stonybrook, its gorgeous!!

Looking forward to photos

o

I love it!! Funny how things evolve...

o

That is a great library color. So glad you love it!

o

I think it looks perfect!

o

Thanks, all. I will post after pics when it's done! Thanks for giving me the push toward blue, Tib! GW pals often send me in a direction that works, even when I think I know what I'm doing!

o

I love that color too.

o

I could see the blue too, but as I scrolled through the colors you have, I was thinking a darker green -- basically like you found on your own. Good job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here