Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

So. Living Idea house 2014

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

On the build a home forum, snuggie posted the link to this house which is supposed to be the Southern Living Idea House 2014.

Just wondering what everyone thought about it....

Edited to add link with interior shots. My bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: So Living home

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 8:20

Comments (26)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Right up my alley!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like it.

Is there a link to the interior somewhere?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

the "M" shaped roof/eave is interesting.

While I lil how they look, I'm not really a fan of covered porches because they make the inside of the house so dark.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Annie, it may be just me, but your link just took me to the photo in your post. This one takes me to the other views and plans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palmetto Bluff Idea House

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you...my bad... I edited the link in my first post above so it takes you to the right place.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Moved the Country Living 2014 House of the Year to its own post.

Here is a link that might be useful: House of the Year 2014: The Ultimate New Old House

This post was edited by my3dogs on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 16:12

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

I really like the exterior of the house and the setting - so different from the kind of houses I am used to seeing in the Northeast. I liked some of the interior, but I think many of the rooms could have been decorated/edited a little better. Lots of nice neutrals and wood - some pretty floors!

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I " M" roof looks like it could cause problems with drainage. I don't like the shed roof dormer, I really prefer peak dormers.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I love it, but like others have pointed out - what is up with the M roof line? I can't think of any advantages to that, only disadvantages.

The whole house just seems really well laid out and nicely designed. Nothing that makes me gasp in delight, but I could move right in and not change a thing. One thing that I really liked were the stairways - simple, but open and a bit different.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I'm not a fan of rustic beach and that is what this is trying to be.

• deegw
    9 years ago

Palmetto Bluff is a wooded area near the beach. The architecture and decorating style work really well with the location.

Tibbrix, I feel the same way about porches. I love them but houses with porches often are too dark or closed in to me. We have two large porches but thankfully the home builder used high ceilings and sky lights to add light.

Hopefully hhireno can visit the house and can give us a report!

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

I am sure not crazy about the bathtub at the front porch! But the clutter room -- great idea.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I think they have done better in the past with their featured houses. However there was another reno'd house in this issue that was great. Tibbrix, it had a soft blue kitchen cab paint that made me think if your kitchen re-do. I'm not at home at the moment but will try to post a link later.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

There is much about the exterior that appeals to me--it goes well with the setting. Perhaps the M roof would be good for water reclamation or slanted skylights or something. However, features of the interior are too contemporary for that house, and the ground floor floor plan (the only one that I reviewed) suc, uh, would bother me, unless I had a truly intimate relationship with my mailman. Master bath and bedroom placement need a lot of work!

• User
    9 years ago

I have toured many Southern Living idea houses and I will say they know how to build a nice liveable environment. I like the layout of the house and the interior finishes look very good. In hot climates deep porches are a lifesaver and one learns to appreciate the cooler dark interior if there are enough bright outdoor spaces to enjoy.

Suzanne Kasler is not an exciting designer but I concur completely with the poster who said she could move in and not **have** to change a thing. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if looking for property in that area.

• pps7
    9 years ago

Our house is inspired by a southern living house. I love the exterior but the interior leaves something to be desired, I don't like how you walk into the dining room and there is no buffer/ hallway between the living room and master bedroom. I always love their mudrooms/ multi-purpose/ clutter room.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I like it fine, and it is quite fitting for that area. It wouldn't be our choice because it's a bit big for the two of us and we prefer one level. Also while I live in (and adore) the South - that area is a bit more hot/humid than I would want for full-time living. We frequently travel to that area - but never in the summer.

Tribbix - not sure where you are located, but many of us in the south LIVE on our outside areas for the majority of the year. I love that porch and it looks like the lighting is not a problem. Believe me, I do not like a dark house. Many houses in our area (and we have lots of porches like that) - the back wall of the home would be mostly windows/glass and that compensates for the light. Our sunroom (on the back of house), is the one room where I must keep the windows somewhat covered (usually roman shades down about 1/3 of window). Because of the heat here at certain times of the year, a big porch, big trees/plants near the house are a godsend.

tina

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I love it a lot. There are two reasons I am not buying it. I am short a few million and since my helicopter is being serviced, the commute to my job is too difficult. By the time my helicopter is ready and I get a few million, it will probably be gone.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Don't like open shelving in the kitchen....cring at having to keep the dishes and shelves clean. Love the porches but don't like how it makes the living room dark....Maybe take away the porch and just have the living room be bright and airy with lots of windows facing the lake.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

We toured the Idea House this weekend, as it is just across the river from our house. Fortunately, due to the large windows along the top of the living room letting tons of light in, the interior was bright and definitely cheerful looking. I loved many aspects of the house, especially the walls, which were painted wood other than sheetrock, and certainly much more appealing to me. The only thing I didnâÂÂt like was the location of the master bedroom door, which is always visible from the living area. The house would be too big for the two of us, but had a great layout and a kitchen and pantry to die for.

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks for that on site review, nanny. It looks like it would be a great family vacation home. Lucky you, living in that wonderful part of the south!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Geez, I'm just seeing this now. Nice place.

Nanny2a,
    I'd like to see it but I won't be back in that area until October. Will it still be open for tours then or will I have to pretend I'm looking to buy in order to see it? I don't think I can pull of the look of someone in the market for a 1m+ home.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I thought it was really bland and boring. I understand continuing colors and a style to unify a house, but the whole place looked the same to me.
    It strikes me as a fine, furnished, second ( or third) home for a family who already has the "main" house where all the personality and varying colors and interest reside.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I liked most of the rooms and the exterior of the house. I found it peaceful and interesting. In the kitchen, I would have preferred the glass cabinets to all those shelves. I also did not like the wood stools that were too rustic and uncomfortable and felt out of place in the rooms.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

hhireno,

I donâÂÂt know if it will be open. They had this one open, and three more of their homes that had just been completed, so we spent several hours looking at houses. There was really only one, a single story, that appealed to me. The Idea House was donating all the ticket proceeds to Bluffton Homes for Habitat.

Palmetto Bluff is so appealing and attractive, we thoroughly enjoyed our time meandering around the property. It would be a great place to live!

I donâÂÂt know how much longer it will be open for tours.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Okay, nanny2a, thanks. If I remember (ha!) when I get down there, I'll investigate if it's still possible to tour it.