Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohgoodness

What's up with the App pop ups?

ohgoodness
9 years ago

Anyone else having this problem? When reading a post on my ipad, I get these little popups that block the text and take you to the App Store to purchase some silly app. There is no option to close the popup. I just have to wait it out. I've already indicated to block popups but these get by. Not a good user experience.

Comments (16)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yes. They are most annoying and there's nothing you can do but wait for them to go away.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, and I would like to know what in my posting or browsing history would make anyone or thing believe I would be remotely interested in Sponge Bob movies???

If this is their idea of "targeted" advertising, the advertisers are wasting their money.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Irritating. Some seem to freeze the whole feed, or take me to the app store. I am looking at one for a Disney timer, that pops up on the word 'money' in the post above.

ML

• peaches12345
    9 years ago

Yes, I'm getting them, too. Extremely annoying. When ads become this annoying, after initially avoiding even looking at them, I then will look so I can avoid buying that product in the future.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I understand GW would like to collect advertising revenue. But the pop-up variety is extremely annoying.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Actually, I've discovered you can stop the ads on iOS if you also have a mac on the same network (but only when connected via wifi on that particular network). I use glimmerblocker on my mac for ad blocking, and they give directions for how you can use that to also block ads on other devices.

EDIT Sorry, not aware of any equivalents for windows or if you use android.

Here is a link that might be useful: glimmerblocker instructions for iOS

This post was edited by writersblock on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 10:16

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Yes, the little rectangles? They seem to pop up over words that appear in green and are underlined both on Chrome and Safari...just in the last week or so...very annoying.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

You need an ad blocker.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

I can't help but see this not as a GW problem, but a problem with whoever designs your hardware's software.

I use Firefox with the free Adblock Plus and Adblock Plus Pop-Up add-ons. I have no pop-ups whatsoever on GW: not even if I hover the mouse over the green words. (And no pop-ups anywhere else, either.)

Of course, I'm not using an iPad or a smart phone, but a desktop and a laptop. Windows 7 on both (even the brand-new laptop). Not up-to-the-minute; not trendy; doesn't fit in my pocket; not Apple. But no pop-ups!

• carree
    9 years ago

Having same issue over the last week on iPad. Am convinced I'll need to download a popup blocker and I just spent a few minutes on google searching for options. They gotta go.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Yes, they have to go. Visiting DD & new baby & I've had no exercise the last 2 weeks. Wondering today if I've gained weight & up pops an ad for Weight Watchers.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I saw a couple last night while on a Yuku groups, but I don't recall seeing any here. Doesn't mean there weren't some here. My memory has been terrible lately.
    I was, and am, on my Samsung tablet using wifi. No adblock available on it as far as I know. I use chrome with adblockplus on my laptop/Windows 8.1, though the browser is set up like 7.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

I ONLY use an ipad, never a computer, so I'm SOL. I've been searching for an answer for a week. I just take it for a few seconds and leave GW and surf elsewhere. I used to call KitchenTable my favorite site. No more. I DO find their (GW) ads run in cycles and am hoping this cycle ends soon or I will leave for good...not that they should/would care. I have heard of other annoying ads that have pestered other people previously that never affected my iPad. This is a first. It's sad.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

These are the most annoying pop ups yet. I can hardly read through one post ( like this one) without having a dozen pop ups. I'll just have to quit viewing this site until this pop up problem is fixed!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

The Ad blockwork. beautifully on my PC and laptop. However I have a Kindle Fire HDX and I don't get any pop ups here on the GW.

I do get a few ads on the side when I open my e mail or surf the web but they're off to the side - not on top of the print.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I have the Adblock turned on in my settings on my Ipad & still get them. I wish if we must have them they were to the right on the screen & not in the middle of posts!