Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zen4d

Rule for mirror sizes??

zen4d
11 years ago

My bathroom vanity is 30" and I would like to get either an oval or round-shaped mirror. Are there any size rules I should follow? My bathroom is small, appx 7 x 6 or slightly larger. The mirror will be a simple style. I listed a previous post with pictures re "which mirror" - however, that's before I realized I should have a different shape and size.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I like a large mirror in a bathroom. We just finished 2 of them and went with a kohler medicine cabinet that has arched top and bottom,and was pretty large (vanity is 36" wide).

What kind of lights are you using? In the pic below (before we finished painting it) you can see the mirror pus 2 sconces is a tiny bit wider than the vanity itself.

Are you using a mirror or a mirrored medicine cabinet?

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

"Rules" I hope not!! We just finished a full re-do. The one thing that remained was the mirror. We moved in 13 years ago. I did not care for the gold gilt framed mirror, so swapped it out with a full wall "70's" style mirror. (it takes me a longer than most to embrace new trends) Fast forward 8 years and we went back to the framed mirror now painted white. This spring we added glass tile to coordinate with the shower re-do. I chose to fit the mirror to my families' needs. I sure hope I haven't violated any design laws--I really can't afford any fines! I shot my wad on the bathroom re-do!!

• jmc01
    11 years ago

engineer, whose sconces are those? They are very attractive.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Thanks, they are from Restoration Hardware. They are the Bistro Sconce and are only $109 (I just checked) which is really reasonable for RH :)

I bought 4 and they all arrived in very good shape, which was quite a relief!

• jmc01
    11 years ago

engineer, whose sconces are those? They are very attractive.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Hmmm, odd, the question came through again...

Restoration hardware, Bistro sconce. A similar option is the Campaign Sconce. It's beefier and would probably work better in a larger bathroom (my bathrooms are all tiny things). I picked the mirror because it matched the shape of the sconce (or echoed it, maybe not a perfect match). Those sconces and mirror were the first choices I made for the bathrooms, everything else followed their lead.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

Sometimes you have to go with what works in the room. I have three very different mirrors.

The basement bath has a smaller oval mirror because that's the only thing that would fit. Vanity is 25". Mirror is 19.5 x 26.

{{!gwi}}

The hall bath has a wide mirror over a pedestal sink. Sink is 25". Mirror is 37.5 x 25.5. I don't have a good picture it. Ignore the doorknob. It's been replaced.

{{!gwi}}

The master vanities are 48" wide. The mirrors are 30 x 36. (I'm not including where the frame gets wider at the top and bottom in the width measurement.)

{{!gwi}}

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

Your mirrors in your master bath are really nice, porkandham. Can you tell me where you bought them?

• porkandham
    11 years ago

Annkathryn - My cabinet maker made the frames for me, and the guy who did the shower door supplied the mirror part. They wound up being so much less expensive than anything I could have purchased ready made!

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

Great idea porkandham, thanks for letting me know. I'm considering doing the same for my master bathroom.

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities