Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rule for mirror sizes??

Posted by zen4d (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 3:35

My bathroom vanity is 30" and I would like to get either an oval or round-shaped mirror. Are there any size rules I should follow? My bathroom is small, appx 7 x 6 or slightly larger. The mirror will be a simple style. I listed a previous post with pictures re "which mirror" - however, that's before I realized I should have a different shape and size.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rule for mirror sizes??

I like a large mirror in a bathroom. We just finished 2 of them and went with a kohler medicine cabinet that has arched top and bottom,and was pretty large (vanity is 36" wide).

What kind of lights are you using? In the pic below (before we finished painting it) you can see the mirror pus 2 sconces is a tiny bit wider than the vanity itself.

Hall Bath Vanity2

Are you using a mirror or a mirrored medicine cabinet?

o

"Rules" I hope not!! We just finished a full re-do. The one thing that remained was the mirror. We moved in 13 years ago. I did not care for the gold gilt framed mirror, so swapped it out with a full wall "70's" style mirror. (it takes me a longer than most to embrace new trends) Fast forward 8 years and we went back to the framed mirror now painted white. This spring we added glass tile to coordinate with the shower re-do. I chose to fit the mirror to my families' needs. I sure hope I haven't violated any design laws--I really can't afford any fines! I shot my wad on the bathroom re-do!!

o

engineer, whose sconces are those? They are very attractive.

o

Thanks, they are from Restoration Hardware. They are the Bistro Sconce and are only $109 (I just checked) which is really reasonable for RH :)

I bought 4 and they all arrived in very good shape, which was quite a relief!

o

engineer, whose sconces are those? They are very attractive.

o

Hmmm, odd, the question came through again...

Restoration hardware, Bistro sconce. A similar option is the Campaign Sconce. It's beefier and would probably work better in a larger bathroom (my bathrooms are all tiny things). I picked the mirror because it matched the shape of the sconce (or echoed it, maybe not a perfect match). Those sconces and mirror were the first choices I made for the bathrooms, everything else followed their lead.

o

Sometimes you have to go with what works in the room. I have three very different mirrors.

The basement bath has a smaller oval mirror because that's the only thing that would fit. Vanity is 25". Mirror is 19.5 x 26.

Photobucket

The hall bath has a wide mirror over a pedestal sink. Sink is 25". Mirror is 37.5 x 25.5. I don't have a good picture it. Ignore the doorknob. It's been replaced.

Photobucket

The master vanities are 48" wide. The mirrors are 30 x 36. (I'm not including where the frame gets wider at the top and bottom in the width measurement.)

Photobucket

o

Your mirrors in your master bath are really nice, porkandham. Can you tell me where you bought them?

o

Annkathryn - My cabinet maker made the frames for me, and the guy who did the shower door supplied the mirror part. They wound up being so much less expensive than anything I could have purchased ready made!

o

Great idea porkandham, thanks for letting me know. I'm considering doing the same for my master bathroom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here