Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Help - color remover turned oyster linen slipcover bright white!

juddgirl2
12 years ago

A pink sweatshirt accidentally made its way into a load of wash with one of my oyster linen slipcovers and the slip turned pink. Extra washings with oxyclean and bleach mixtures did nothing to remove the pink.

I ended up using RIT color remover which quickly removed all traces of pink but also all traces of the ivory color. The slip is now bright white and doesn't at all match the other 9 dining chair slipcovers!

Any idea of how to change it back to off-white? I thought of tea staining but not sure that would give it a uniform color. I can't find an ivory dye on RIT's website.

Help! I don't want mismatched chair slips and really prefer the original off-white color.

Comments (20)

• emagineer
    12 years ago

The link below is for one of the oldest and best resources around. As is the norm, the right color for you will be trial and error. Dye is iffy, just as our monitors display color, it takes on so many different variations regardless of what color is chosen. I looked at their colors and doubt the "one" they have is right without even knowing what you have.

I had the same thing happen to a taylored slipcover. But it didn't have to match anything, so I just made the chair and ottoman all white.

You could try the tea stain (or coffee), certainly wouldn't hurt and it comes out easily if not right. Or find a tea that may match the color you are after and brew it up. Be sure to remove the tea bags/leaves.Linen takes color easily which is why it also went white so quickly. Drying is needed to give you the true color and it may take some playing around to get there. Wet one of the other slipcovers to give you an idea of what shade it is to match results while working with the white one. Set it this beside your tea stain container and watch for changes to try for a close match. If you do use this method, make sure you finish with a vinegar soak before drying. This will set the tea stain, something used for any color setting.

The craft stores have options too, but perhaps too many. And you are faced with the same trial as mentioned.

My last suggestion is not what you want to hear. But, can you buy another one? Even trying to match the color to sew one is akin to finding the right dye.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyes

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Here is Rit's dye colors for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rit

• User
    12 years ago

To ensure a match, use color remover on ALL of them, then dye them ALL at the same time with the same method.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Lazy,
    I had never thought of that. A great idea and so much easier than dying. You must think well in the morning.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

Yes, Lazy is absolutely right! But, I caution juddgirl to be absolutely positive that the finished dyes are set and will not bleed onto the clothing of the people who sit on her new slipcovers. I tea-dyed some cotton bras, thought the dye was set, only to have my bra outline appear on my white blouse! Just be careful.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone. emagineer, thanks so much for the RIT link. I might try the tea stain first and if that doesn't work try a custom dye color.

The slips came with the Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Darcy chairs. I don't know where I can find a replacement slipcover but I'll call one of the stores.

I thought of stripping the color from all of the slipcovers and dyeing them the same color but I really like them the way they are and am worried that I'll end up with 8 chair slips that I'm unhappy with instead of 1. I also have head/foot club chairs that have tailored covers in a matching linen and these aren't machine washable. I bought these at Calico Corners and really don't want to change the color.

• User
    12 years ago

There is no way you will be able to match that one slip back to the others without also stripping them and redoing everything at the same time. It would be worse to spend all of the trial and error on one and only get close, because then it will look like the accident it is. So, why not dye that one slip an accent color and use it as the "head" chair.

• avesmor
    12 years ago

If you're leaning toward dyeing, I would strongly suggest you have it done professionally, and I would probably see about having two of the slipcovers done and using them for head chairs (maybe a darker, but complimentary color, to the rest of the slipcovers so that it would look intentional).

Some things to keep in mind for dye...

Even two boxes of the same color can yield different results. You're going to be very susceptible to the "lot" pitfall multiplied by however many slipcovers we're talking about. Unless you have some seriously massive dyeing equipment. See below. The slighest crease, wrinkle, piece resting against the container, and your color will break.

Home dyeing is not as easy as it sounds for large/bulky items. Proper dyeing requires some fairly special equipment and really large containers (old neighbor used to dye her own wool bundles). I'm sure we've all tossed a shirt into a soapless wash cycle with a pack of Rit, but I wouldn't do it with slipcovers I cared about unless slight variations were something I wanted.

See this fabric below. Notice how the color isn't solid? That's typical of a home dye job.

That being said, that's a lot of time and effort for what boils down to a problem with one chair. I'd suggest just buying 1 new slipcover, but again - dye lot (I ran into that problem myself).

Hope you can figure something out. 4 days in our newly built house and DD puked strawberries all over the carpet in her room. The best I could get it to was a faded pink, even after trying an Oxiclean solution, which ended up lightening the entire area (even though it tested colorsafe on a small patch in her closet). I know how much accidents like these suck!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions.

I already have larger head and foot chairs and I don't want to change those. This slip is for one of the side chairs and we have 2 extra that I keep in the dining room but not at the table unless we have extra company. You can see the extra chairs in the pics below - one by the hutch and one in the opposite corner.

So, I tried tea staining. First try, I was very conservative, barely soaking the tea bag and leaving the slip in for just a minute or two. It definitely softened the white and was close to the original color, but not quite as dark or as creamy.

The second time, I used 2 tea bags and also added vanilla to the hot tea mix (smelled great!). I soaked the slip just a bit longer. It definitely added a creamier yellow tone and darkened the color (maybe just a touch too dark but it will dry lighter). The color appears even.

I'm washing it now to see if it's close enough to use on the extra chair near the hutch. I'll probably be the only one to notice any difference but if it's not a good match and I like the color, I'll consider staining all of the side chairs as lazygardens suggested.

avesmom, that's truly awful - I'm so sorry about your new strawberry tinged carpet!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update: After 2 tries with tea/vanilla staining I got the color close enough to the other slips to be hardly noticeable. It's not as yellow toned as the others and I know the difference but had to really point it out to my older DD and DH in order for them to tell which had been tea stained.

I'm using this slip on my younger DD's chair, which is next to the head chair and backs up to the furthest side wall. She's such a messy eater that this one's usually covered with a dishtowel anyway and is washed often so it will surely be the first to be replaced :-)

Thanks for all your help!

• fripper
    12 years ago

A question about RIT color remover ... I have a custom-made slipcover for a loveseat which got stains on it from the red ties the seamstress put on the back. (What was she thinking???) Anyway, it's a fairly heavy neutral-khaki color brushed twill. I tried Oxi-clean, a Tide-to-Go stick and rewashing, but nothing budged the red streaks. Do you think the color remover might work in removing the streaks? I don't care at all if it takes the color out of entire slipcover. I just need it to be all one color. Thanks.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fripper, the color remover immediately removed all traces of the pink dye from my slipcover and white sweatshirt, so it might work on your slipcover. It left the material a bright white - a very nice look but one that didn't match the rest of my dining chairs.

If you do use the RIT color remover I suggest doing it outside if possible. It smells awful - reminds me of the bleach smell at the hairdresser's.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Smart thinking...glad it all worked out!

• skyedog
    12 years ago

Fripper, I have had good luck removing color bleeds using Zout stain remover. You should be able to find it at Target or your grocery store. You might want to try that first.

• lori316
    12 years ago

Judd, glad it all worked out beautifully.

I just wanted to say I saw your table and it was love at first sight. That is exactly what I have been searching for, for the last six months. Would you care to share more info on it? Where is it from?

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, lori316. It's the Restoration Hardware salvaged trestle table. Mine is 9 feet extending to 12 with leaves but I believe it's also available in a smaller size.

• lori316
    12 years ago

Thank you, Juddgirl! I'm on my way to their site to check it out. I should have thought of RH.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

I can't see any difference in the color of the chairs at your table. So, either my monitor is not showing the difference, or it is so subtle, that you've matched well enough that no one but you will notice.

May I ask what it would cost to replace one of the side chair slips? I know you don't want to do that, and even if you did, the fabric will likely be from a different dye lot or fabric bolt. Just curious as I like the look of the oyster linen slip covers!

Glad you found a solution that you are happy with!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

work in progress - I posted an older picture to show the placement of the extra chairs but don't have a new picture of the tea stained slip.

The side chairs came with the linen slips. The head and foot chairs were custom made so the linen isn't an exact match with the side chairs, but very close. If I wanted to have one made I could use the same fabric as the head/foot chairs.

For now, using the tea stained slip on one of the side chairs against the wall will work.