Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

Exterior Door Color

Aims
9 years ago

Hubby and I decided on this brick and stone for our house. We are going to do timber accents out in front.

We also chose a speakeasy door that we are either going to paint it ourselves or have our painter do it. As much as I would like to have the door company stain it, they charge $400 extra.

What color do you think would work on the door when considering the timber, brick, and stone? I must admit, I am not an overly adventurous person. I was thinking about some sort of blue to break up the brown.

Comments (14)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Can it be stained to look more like the timber?

• User
    9 years ago

Stained. Keep the rustic look of the masonry and timber.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, I would stain the door a similar color to the timber accents.

• User
    9 years ago

If you stain it, be sure to use wood conditioner first, so the stain isn't blotchy, and use marine-grade polyurethane.

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is our elevations so you can see we have shutters. I figured whatever we did with the door, we would do with those as well.

Our door is a fiberglass door. I don't quite know how that works with painting and staining a fiberglass door, but I want to learn :)

Thanks for your feedback thus far!

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Black.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Dark turquoise blue

• User
    9 years ago

Stained door, if possible, with black shutters.

Otherwise, either black or a very dark brown.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

light turquoise blue, something totally unexpected.

• sas95
    9 years ago

To me, stained fiberglass never looks like wood. I would paint it so it doesn't look like it's trying to be something it's not. I would do black.

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Sas95, I think our stained fiberglass looks a fair bit like wood. We have real wood trim around the door which makes the door look much less like fiberglass.

Aimless, I am partial to a stained door too. A midnight blue might work. You could ask the colour experts at your paint store.

Carol

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 18:04

• User
    9 years ago

Aimless, I would check with your painter an see if he has any experience staining fiberglass. It depends on the quaity of the door whether ot not staining it will look real or not. Some are surprisingly very realistic.
    Since regular wood stain will not penetrate fiberglass, you need to use gel stain. The door also has to be laid flat while staining, polycoating and drying.

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The type of door we are using is from Glass Craft, if that helps.

This post was edited by aimless07 on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 18:04

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Black or a very, very dark green that's almost black.