Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Door Color

Posted by aimless07 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 2:37

Hubby and I decided on this brick and stone for our house. We are going to do timber accents out in front.

We also chose a speakeasy door that we are either going to paint it ourselves or have our painter do it. As much as I would like to have the door company stain it, they charge $400 extra.

What color do you think would work on the door when considering the timber, brick, and stone? I must admit, I am not an overly adventurous person. I was thinking about some sort of blue to break up the brown.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Door Color

Can it be stained to look more like the timber?

o

Stained. Keep the rustic look of the masonry and timber.

o

Yes, I would stain the door a similar color to the timber accents.

o

If you stain it, be sure to use wood conditioner first, so the stain isn't blotchy, and use marine-grade polyurethane.

o

Here is our elevations so you can see we have shutters. I figured whatever we did with the door, we would do with those as well.

Our door is a fiberglass door. I don't quite know how that works with painting and staining a fiberglass door, but I want to learn :)

Thanks for your feedback thus far!

o

Black.

o

Dark turquoise blue

o

Stained door, if possible, with black shutters.

Otherwise, either black or a very dark brown.

o

light turquoise blue, something totally unexpected.

o

To me, stained fiberglass never looks like wood. I would paint it so it doesn't look like it's trying to be something it's not. I would do black.

o

Sas95, I think our stained fiberglass looks a fair bit like wood. We have real wood trim around the door which makes the door look much less like fiberglass.

Aimless, I am partial to a stained door too. A midnight blue might work. You could ask the colour experts at your paint store.

Carol

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 18:04

o

Aimless, I would check with your painter an see if he has any experience staining fiberglass. It depends on the quaity of the door whether ot not staining it will look real or not. Some are surprisingly very realistic.
Since regular wood stain will not penetrate fiberglass, you need to use gel stain. The door also has to be laid flat while staining, polycoating and drying.

o

The type of door we are using is from Glass Craft, if that helps.

This post was edited by aimless07 on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 18:04

o

Black or a very, very dark green that's almost black.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here