Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprilmack

Please help me to sound intelligent when I return

aprilmack
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm looking for a new dining room set. I was hoping to find an "already put together set" but my search has not been fruitful yet. I went to several furniture stores and tried to explain what I was looking for but most of the salespeople looked at me like I was crazy.

Can anyone tell me the formal name of these chairs? I know that the table I'm looking for is/or is similar to a farmhouse table. However, the salespeople kept pointing me to lighter wood tables with white legs when I said farmhouse. Can anyone tell me what type of table to ask for? Also, can anyone tell me the proper name of these rounded chairs?

Does anyone think that I'll be able to find this as a set? Where? I'm in Michigan.

Here are some of my inspiration pictures.

Comments (26)

• aprilmack
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture 2

• aprilmack
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture 3

• aprilmack
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture 4 - This is the table. I'd like to stick with a rectangular table.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Could you take your inspiration pics to show them what you want?

• sable_ca
    10 years ago

Take pctures with you when you go shopping! (I also don't know what those chairs are called.)

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

I would describe the chairs as a modified wing, fully upholstered chair.

• Delilah66
    10 years ago

The white side chairs in the first picture are fully upholstered modified klismos. Your best bet for any of them is to take the pictures with you as sable suggested.

This post was edited by javachik on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 7:01

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I've heard them referred to as "slope arm" chairs.

I've described them as "ski jump".

• debd18
    10 years ago

Carrington Court makes many styles of chairs, you can choose your upholstery, and they are very reasonably priced. I bought parson's chairs from them about twelve years ago and I still love them. Here is a link to one that is similar to your inspiration photo, but they have others. This was listed under "accent chairs".

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrington Court chairs

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The table type you want to ask for is probably "rustic modern" or "Restoration hardware". "Farmhouse" has become the description for wood top and painted elgs.

Just tell them you want rectangle, all wood, slightly rustic.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Deb18.....thank you thank you for the info on Carrington Court Chairs. I am looking for a single Parsons chair but a lot of places only sell pairs...and I can send them my own fabric!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Here's a few.

Here is a link that might be useful: chairs

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

In the first picture, the host/hostess chairs at the ends of the table are wing chairs. Lots of those around that you could buy cheaply and reupholster.

Agree that taking in pictures will get you a long way toward where you are going. You could also ask for a harvest table. Someone posted a website here for similar tables made to order. I will see if I can find that and post the link for you. I thought I had bookmarked it, but apparently I did not. :(

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Here is the place I was thinking of for you. I love his tables, although I haven't seen any in person. There is also a place in Sperryville, VA and I saw another link to a place called Arcadian Cottage, I think, but the link below is my favorite. I want to have him make a table for me!

Here is a link that might be useful: tables

• aprilmack
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone,

I don't know why, but it didn't dawn on me to take photos when I went shopping. I see the chairs so often in my local Home Goods I just thought the furniture stores would have an abundance of tables, chairs, and fabric choices. I only looked for photos after the salespeople couldn't really help me find anything.

I guess I haven't shopped for furniture in a long time and the process is much different than I remember. Either the salespeople disappeared after introducing themselves or they wanted me to sit down and look through books.

Sigh! I'm going to take a look at the links that you guys provided.

• lala girl
    10 years ago

april_love - I totally agree with you about the process and selection. I was looking for similar table and chairs and could not get any traction with the stores in my region. It was really frustrating and time consuming.

I ended up breaking down and ordering a trestle table from Restoration Hardware and some of their velvet upholstered chairs (even though after a RH floor lamp debacle I said I would never order from them again...oh well). I darkened the table a bit with some furniture oil and have been really happy with it and the chairs. Just another option in case you can't find what you want locally - keep us posted :)

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Beautiful inspiration photos! Remember to keep the scale in mind when selecting chairs/table. The first two photos there is not enough room for anyone to sit and walk about the table. Will you keep the sideboard in the room?

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

This style is French Deco from the period of the 1925 Paris Exposition -- and they have roots in earlier Empire chairs. They are also similar to klismos, which goes back to dynastic Egypt, except that klismos have a strong horizontal wrapping element at the top of the back. But they really developed into this concave, sloped, almost armless form, in the Deco age.

But that doesn't really conjure up a distinct image, so you need the picture. I don't think that salespeople of new furniture have much background in identifying period furniture unless that's what they sell, they just know their stock.

• Delilah66
    10 years ago

"But that doesn't really conjure up a distinct image, so you need the picture. I don't think that salespeople of new furniture have much background in identifying period furniture unless that's what they sell, they just know their stock."

Well said, Pal. When I told sales people I wanted an upholstered klismos style chair, they had no idea what I was talking about even though they sold them.

• aprilmack
    Original Author
    10 years ago

motherof3sons,

I'm not sure about keeping the sideboard.

I have visions of a having a beautiful room but I'm not really sure where to start. We moved a wall during the kitchen remodel so the room has to be painted. The drapes were too short once I put the new rods up. Everything in this room was either a Craigslist find or was free (My husband owns a moving company and likes to bring home things that would otherwise be discarded.) I'm ready to have a room of my own where I've made the selections. Other than the mirror against the wall and the light fixture everything else can go.

Here's my room. I do need a little help with layout if anyone has ideas.

• aprilmack
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another view.

• aprilmack
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, my room looks totally dated online. Here's a better view of the light fixture.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I don't know if these are exact, but they sure look close. The designers selling them have pinned their name on the chairs, and are calling them the 'Verona' Here's the link.......

Here is a link that might be useful: [Chairs[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/william-hefner-architecture-interiors-and-landscape-transitional-dining-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~119584)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I also wanted to say you should take your iPhone/iPad with you so you'll have a picture. Don't feel embarrassed if you don't have a name for the style. The style probably does have a name, but each manufactured has its own name.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Be aware of the increased width of the chairs you want vs the chairs you have.

Your side chairs probably top out at 20" wide at the seat for the side chairs.

The ones you picture are probably 25", and the variants I've seen range between 22" and 27" wide.

22" you might be able to handle in that dining room, but two chairs at 25" is half of a third chair of the size you currently have.

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Dated? IMHO, the wrong word. Classic. Be careful with scale, I'm not sure your DR can handle those large pieces. Is this your only eating area? I can't imagine eating every meal on white chairs, even when it's just me, guarantee they wouldn't stay white long.