Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plainjane425

More Picture Requests from Slinkey

plainjane425
15 years ago

Sorry if I missed thanking some of you on the other thread...as there were so many.

Jan/patty_cakes, wooderlander...thank you

I've included some extra pictures that I didn't include before, along with the bedrooms... Hope you enjoy them.

This is another angle of the house. On the right are the bay windows that overlook the side property and the 'Wild Life' ... I'm still getting used to..

Lots of deer (who love my flowers).. & Turkeys..We found one sitting w/babies on top of the arbor one morning!

This is another angle of the front hall w/church pew.

The large picture on the right was from a calendar...I matted it and already had the frame. The ones over the church pew - the one in the middle, is from a Christmas card... a print by (Carl Larson) The other, to the right of it, with the two girls, was also from a Calendar...I matted them, and I already had the frames. Over the years, I've bought really nice, old frames (cheap),at tag sales, and saved them for the right pic. That's how I got all the frames for the Family Pics along the stairway.

Another view from Dining Room

The table below, I found at an estate sale for $8.

Alcove off Kitchen .. Shelves in alcove another Flea Mrkt find.. When Dh made the white hutch it was originally stained maple, in old house. For this spot, because the wall was just about the same size as the hutch, and to not have it looked so squeezed, we painted it off white and antiqued it. It blends in w/wall and doesn't look forced.

Master Bedroom (the little white wing chair was $10 and I just bought fabric online...and recovered it)

Oil Painting of Ballerina..was at an estate sale.. It was a self portrait..done by an elderly lady, when she was a young girl. All of her things were being sold off. I can't believe that someone in the family didn't want it.

Guest Room - Again, a mix of some new and some flea market finds...

Upstairs Hall ... Dh had a picture of his father as a young boy, his passport, when he came to this country, and a hanky that his father had with a picture of the ship that he sailed over on, as well as a post card of the ship. He put them in a shadow box, and has it hanging on the wall. So many times, I would go to estate sales, and see so many family pictures being thrown out or sold off...and I felt I would not want that to happen to our family pictures. So I've written the names on the back of each one, and put which side of the family they were related to. Hoping future family will feel some attachment to them...

Guest Bedroom... .

{{gwi:1774515}}

Office..

Okay..I'm sure you've had ENOUGH and hope you didn't nod off... The bedrooms are NOT elaborate or fussy and everyone doesn't like 'old' > However, if your like me.. it's nice to see what others are all about, even though it's different.

Thanks again, It's been fun sharing it w/you.

Comments (42)

• redbazel
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love vintage and your bedrooms have a graciousness about them. That oil is indeed, a mystery. Why would family not want it, even if only to hang in a hallway?

Red

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Beautiful, charming home. Looks like you are ready to serve crumpets and tea just anytime. It is very beautiful and you have done a fabulous job putting it all together. The ballerina self-portrait is a mystery to me as I would think what a work of art it was in more than 100 ways, especially if it was my grandmother.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Very pretty!

Jan

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

Slinkey, once again, your house is stunning. I am a collector of "old things" as well but am many times at a loss as to displaying them. You've given me some great ideas (particularly a use for a great old vintage typewriter stored somewhere in my basement).

So glad you rescued the lovely ballerina painting. Even better that you know a little bit of its story, so you can keep that alive. I know what you mean about families discarding these types of heirlooms--I was recently in my local Salvation Army thrift shop and saw a set of three beautiful 60-70's era watercolor portraits of young children. Why would these be donated? I just don't get it! Did the parents die and the kids just hire a clean out service to get rid of anything that didn't have an easily defined value? So sad!

• valzone5
    15 years ago

Well I am one who loves old, and non-fussy. I love your home. It's very cozy and welcoming. It's beautiful!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Ahhh, I feel a need to wander around and touch everything. Can I live with you??? I am not too messy!! LOL :) Just so beautiful and liveable. Sue

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

I just love the warm and sense of "family" that you've given your home. Even making something special out of someone else's heirlooms shows your great respect for the value of family history. I especially love your blue toile guest room, (of course), and how you've decorated. I have the same washstand in my NY house as you have used by the bed, it's a wonderful antique.

Thanks so much for posting these photos, you've done a stunning job and made your house a real "home". Wish I lived closer, those chippendale-style chairs at the head of the dining table are exactly what I'm looking for to finish off my dining seating. I just need two....lol!

Heidi

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again for the positive reviews..
    It's nice sharing w/others who enjoy the same things.
    teacats..thank you -
    redbazel ...
    patricia43
    Everytime I look at that portrait.. I feel the same way. When things like that just go on to strangers, it's like the person in that family lived a life and no one cared...very sad. I also have an old lapel pin that I bought from that sale. It held four pictures..You would think THAT would have mattered to someone!! I've replaced them w/my own pics.

teeda... I'm glad you were able to pick up some ideas. I do the same thing when I see something that inspires me, it gets my 'wheels' turning. Glad you will be taking that old typewritter out..just dust if off and enjoy it.

valzone5... from 'one old non-fussy' lover to another, thank you, and it's the way to go... LOL...who has time for 'fuss'!

cooperbailey...come on over...get it out of your system, and 'Touch'..love to have you. .and thanks

nanny2a..thank you.. if you were closer, we could 'share' the toile!! and I'd throw in the 2 chairs! I think we'd be great friends.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

What a wonderful place to call home. You have also given me some ideas. I love all your rooms and the blue toile room is pulling me in also. Your husbands ideas for the shadow box is a good one. You are talented and caring.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Oh, so, so pretty and peaceful. I have a little wash stand like yours I purchased from an antique shop months ago. Hope it fits in my hall just outside the bath where I plan to put a large pitcher and wash bowl. If it doesn't fit, it will then become a nightstand like yours has. LOL

Love, love your house.

• nonchalant
    15 years ago

Slinkey: I love all of your beds, they all look so comfortable and inviting! Can I come stay some weekend? J/K. Yum! (Actually, your whole home looks so nice!)

I wanted to ask about the desk in your office. I've seen a similar one I liked on walmart.com, but it doesn't have that extra ... piece? arm? Well, the one I like doesn't have an l-shape like yorus, and I'd love that extra space. Would you mind sharing where you got it? Thanks! ^_^

• jaybird
    15 years ago

I'm so glad the people didn't want the little ballerina picture...she looks so happy in your lovely room!!!
    Thanks so much for posting the extra pictures!

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful home, slinkey!

brutuses: If you ever decide you just can't abide that washstand, send it on up my way, ok?

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

What a lovely, lovely home! It's so friendly and pretty and welcoming! Your family treasures are displayed wonderfully and tell a story about you and your family. Good for you! Your guest rooms are warm, pretty and very comfy looking. I can imagine that your guests have huge smiles on their faces when seeing them for the first time. Thanks for sharing your beautiful home!
    Lynn

• sallen2008
    15 years ago

Slinkey, is the exterior of your home cement? Did you tell us earlier the color of your exterior? Thanks!

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you again ladies...I will try to follow up with what everyone has said, as I do 'treasure' all of your comments.

lyban..glad I could be of some help for you. I just love toile, it has such a timeless look to it, in any color.

organic...WE can help brutuses out right?? We'll flip for it!!

brutuses... Your wash stand is EXACTLY like mine down to every detail just the knob is different (bought it that way)....however, I like your wood tone much better. Mine is a very dark mahogony..but yours shows a nicer grain to it. I used to have an old Pitcher and wash bowl that I bought at a farm auction, years ago...and when I moved, (trying to downsize, I sold it) :(

nonchalant...thank you. I purchased the desk from OfficeMax, (free shipping) its Fairview "L" Desk Collection
    I love the look, and you really can't see the detail from my picture, however if you check it out online, you will see how really nice it is, and it's constructed well too.

thank you sweet jaybird... I'm glad I got to keep her too. I do enjoy having her 'stay' with me.

lynninnewmexico...thanks for your kind words... If you're ever up my way...LOL... I've got an extra room!!!

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

What a warm, welcoming home! Not sure which other thread you posted on...I've been preoccupied with a couple of other boards lately.

One q. - about your floors, are they oak? Site finished? I can't tell but they are gorgeous!
    Susan ~

• nonchalant
    15 years ago

Thank you, slinkey! I went and checked it out. I saw somewhere that it also has a matching lateral file, which I've been wanting, as well. Thanks for the info! ^_^

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

What a beautiful home you have! The ballerina painting is perfect in your space.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mpwdmom..thank you. The other thread was from Aug 9th -
    (As Requested Whole Rm Pics from Slinkey) After posting on a thread that wanted to see window treatments, I was asked to show Whole Rm pics.
    As far as the floors, yes they are oak. They were site finished - Stained with Minwax Sedona Red 222 and Three Coats of Poly.

nonchalant...glad you got the info and that you're able to use the lateral file as well.

juddgirl2...thanks. 'Ballerina Girl'.. is part of the family now!! LOL

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sallen2008... I'm sorry I hadn't seen your ques..till just now.. The exterior is vinyl - color is Pebble Stone.

• sallen2008
    15 years ago

slinkey, BEAUTIFUL! What brand did you use?

• sallen2008
    15 years ago

slinkey, how wide is your vinyl?

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sallen - the vinyl is 4 inches. You can view better pictures of it on the other thread I had...
    (As Requested, Whole Room Pictures from Slinkey)
    Hope that gives you a better idea of the look..

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

Slinkey, are your oak floors simple to mantain? What about kids and pets? Scratches?

I was recently considering oak but somewhere here I read that on my slab foundation home I could only put engineered hardwoods, not site finished. I haven't checked it out fully but I hope I have the option for site finished.

Again, your home is just delightful. :)
    Susan

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

What a beautiful home and location. It looks like something out of a B&B. I love how you've broken out of the symmetry mold and arranged your decor in unique and interesting ways. I agree it is very odd about the ballerina painting. I would've snapped it up as well. Could you attach a link to your other pictures? I'd love to see more. Thanks for sharing.

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Slinky, I was so excited when I saw this thread! Sometimes people say they'll show us more pictures and then they forget, get busy, etc. Your home really *is* a home, and looks like the kind of place you could put up your feet and 'cozy up'. I think I would call it country traditional with a twist! I love the toiles and the florals you have used, and the colors are so easy on the eyes. I've had my 'bright moments', but my new home will be more subdued, and there will definitely be some toile!

Are you by chance in NC? Whenever I see ducks/wild Turkeys all over the place I can't help but think of NC where one of my son's live. You can't go out the front door without seeing them in someone's front yard~deer too. LOL

• loribee
    15 years ago

Such a lovely home...enjoy!

• livvyandbella
    15 years ago

Lovely! So warm and inviting. I love the mixture of new and old. You do wonder how so many old photos become discarded.
    I was buying an old frame to put a needlepoint in someday. The man selling it had an oil of his mother in it. He sold me the frame, asked me to give his mother a good home! Well I still have her sitting in the closet.

• mary52zn8tx
    15 years ago

I just love all of the rooms of your house. What a gracious home you have made for your family. Even your shed is charming. I love the view from all of your windows. My DH is afraid someone might see in. Sometimes I feel like I live with a vampire. LOL You have inspired me to keep my eyes open for those gems that make a house a home.
    Mary

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

valinsv..I've attached the link to the other photos..hope this helps...I'm still new at this..so I hope it works.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0819051629720.html?35

pattycakes..glad you fond my follow up. I'm in CT..however with your 'wild life'..sounds like it could be here! LOL

livvyandbella. Can't believe that man sold his mom's pic. Well, I'm glad that YOU did give her a good home. Amazes me all the time. I like mixing old and new. I think it gives a room some interest. When people come over, I often hear that they are not just looking at a room..but 'seeing' things as well.

mary52..I'll tell DH you liked his shed...lol
    I've always kept windows 'open'. Even when I lived in NY w/neighbors all around. Closed the 'street side' ones only at night. My SIL would freak..saying you HAVE to cover them up. I had big Palladium windows across the back..never covered them..they were too nice.

sallen2008.. I'm not sure of the brand. I will have to do some checking. We picked out the color from the builder..but don't remember the brand.

mpwdmom...I've had no problem w/cleaning them. Even in my old house...I've always had herds of kids and pets. I just clean them w/Bruce Wood & Lamanite Floor Cleaner. As far as installing on a concrete slab. As long as you have enough head room.. you can install on site. They are usually laid on 'sleepers' 2x4's laid flat, to help minimize height loss. Sub flooring is then attached to sleepers and finally your flooring is fastened to that. Mind you, it can be done, if you have enough head room.
    We did this in our old home, we converted a garage that was downstairs, in the back of the house, into a den. They jackhammered the concrete floor...dug down deep enough to get the head room necessary to accomodate the extra height w/the flooring. (they also installed a vapor barrier).

loribee..thanks for the compliment.

Again, thank you all...and I'd be happy to answer any other ques if I can.

Jane

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I dont know why there are two of these threads running at the same time...strange!

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DUH >>> Ignore the above message... The other thread was the FIRST one I sent out...sorry for the confusion!

• durango118
    15 years ago

Your home ought to be in a magazine. Just beautiful!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

You define the word "home"! Thank you for the visit!

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw this come up again and was wondering...
    thank you bodica. This was actually the second thread for pictures. Thanks for the compliment.

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

Your house is to die for! I love the "Country Living" look. As they say on eBay...A++++! :D

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Ahhhhh, those lovely guest rooms look like they're just craving visitors! When can I come? ;-)

What a wonderful home. Thank you so much for sharing it with us and inspiring us in a thousand beautiful ways!

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you flyingflower...I appreciate the 'ebay' compliment !! LOL

auntjen..come on over!! I love company and those beds are looking for guests...hehehe Thanks for the warm compliments.
    jane

• susan209
    15 years ago

Ditto to absolutely everything said above and how far are you booked up for at this point? Have we seen your kitchen yet, I don't think I have nor have I seen your whole gathering room/living room. You have such excellent, creative tastes that I would love to see more. When you are kind enough to put your pictures up I think so many who feel decorating challenged do get wonderful ideas from those seem to do it so easily like you do. All I can say is thank you, it's like pages out of "Country Living' magazine and I think I said that on another thread too.

• susan209
    15 years ago

Jane, never mind I did a little searching for the last I don't know how long and looked a ton more of your wonderful pictures and now I think I've seen them all and I can't thank you enough for all the work it must have taken to put all of them up here. You probably have one of the most impressive homes I have seen on this site but then again it is the styling that I do like the most. Again thanks a million! PS, I adore all of the things your HD has made too, what a guy you've got there, plenty of talent too.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow susan...thank you so much, I'm really touched by your compliments >> blush >>> blush !!
    I'm glad that you found it helpful for ideas.. I guess I'm lucky that I've always had an eye for design and detail and find it easy to visualize what I want. I found looking over home magazines, helped me develop a sense of style . Going to estate sales and auctions, has given me an opportunity to see many beautiful homes and furnishings. For those who are unable to do those things, this site is a great opportuniy for helpful advice, and it's so interesting to see what others have done too.
    jane

jane