Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blubird_gw

Faux wood blind question

blubird
9 years ago

A friend of mine is redecorating a condo in an older adult community in south Florida. The apartment will only be used by adults for probably not more than a total of 2 to 3 weeks a year. Eventually, they might rent out the apt during the winter months, again, to adults.

She is not looking for a high-end super sturdy blind, unless it also is "reasonably priced. She does not want shutters, woven blinds or roll-up blinds. These blinds would probably never be raised or lowered; they probably will get tilted daily for light, but privacy is needed.

She was looking into using the 2" wide faux (vinyl?) wood look blinds but had some questions, so I offered to post them here.

She had concerns about the effect of heat and direct sun on the vinyl blinds (if they would warp from the sun and heat) and any off-gassing or stinky odors, which some of the reviews seem to indicate about various brands. She is looking into Graber, Lowe's brand of Allen & Roth, and Hunter Douglas. Of course, the salesman for the most expensive, the Hunter Douglas said you 'get what you pay for." She is not necessarily convinced of that, especially as she was hoping to keep the cost down as she needs several. :-)

Can anyone offer her some insight as to your experiences with these faux blinds?

Helene

Comments (19)

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Faux wood blinds seem to last a couple of years. I am no longer a fan of them. They turn yellow from the sun and are a pain to clean. When cleaning I found the "strings" loved to take on any dirt. Even taking them down and washing outside or in the bathtub became more than I cared to fuss with. Perhaps consider inexpensive ones and changing out every two years. Or a film on the windows to keep the sun exposure down. Pricing and quality may be a factor, I don't have recent experience to know.

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

In my experience, the HD salesperson is probably right. I have had faux wood HD plantation shutters in a house for 10+ years with no fading, discoloration or degradation/wear. I have had less expensive shutters in a house that showed wear and discoloration within a few years. I was never aware of off-gassing from the faux wood.

Recently I was working to install faux wood blinds at two price/quality points in someone else's house and the HD blinds we installed are so much nicer and sturdy than the less expensive blinds we used from Select Blinds. I have never installed blinds in my own home but technicolor's point about the strings getting dirty seems like a good reason to buy cheaper blinds and change them out more often....

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I had Levelor faux wood blinds from Lowe's in a vacation home. I did not have issues with dirty cords and the slats cleaned fine. However, I had 4 windows that got constant afternoon sun, year round. The blinds in those windows discolored in a fairly short time.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I have had white faux wood blinds from justblinds.com in a south and west facing room for over three years. They are doing fine. I didn't sense any outgassing. They are Justblinds house brand and they were quite inexpensive.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I have off the shelf faux wood blinds from Home Depot. They are 10 years old and still look fine. No outgassing, no discoloration. But, they are heavy and the cords on a couple of them aren't working quite right these days.

btw, mine face east.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I have previously had Faux white wood blinds which I loved! No fading, warping, or smelling in the 4 years we were in that house.

debrak2008 - Could you post a photo of your Faux wood mahogany blinds and see what manufacturer they are from?

We have real wood blinds (expensive I might add) in our current home. 44 windows and doors! The blinds are 8 years old. All the blinds that stay closed most of the day, and get the most sun, have faded badly. These are in our bedroom and bath...a south facing wing that heats up pretty badly.

I am looking into replacing all blinds with Faux, but have not recently seen any Faux wood tones that I like.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

I have off-the-shelf faux wood blinds from Home Depot on the 18 windows in my home, in white. Some of them get intense sun. To date (9 years) they've not yellowed, warped, nor the cords broken. They are easy to clean. I'm moving soon into a new house and intend to use the same product, in brown this time.

• User
    9 years ago

I've used JC Penny's blinds for years - both the faux white, and the real wood. Both were reasonably priced (IMO), and both have held up well for years.

I should add I am not hard on the blinds at all, and they are rarely raised/lowered - but still, I'm very impressed with these blinds.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

After 10 years in the hot So CA desert sun, our faux wood blinds looked like new. Therefore, there have been installed at our new home. We do have two West facing windows where we hung solar shades because the sun was glaring on the TV and ruining our dinners in the dining area. Well, solar shades don't block the sun when it is big and round in the sky, so therefore, we installed more faux wood blinds inside the window box for extra protection. We now watch TV and eat with no hot sun.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I will post a photo asap. I tried to look for the manufacturers name on the blinds but couldn't find it. Will look again.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

It's usually up on top of the header. Thank you!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Ok I will need to get the step stool out to see up there. Can do it after work today. DH really thinks they are Levolor but we will see.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Here are the blinds but I realized they are very dusty. I haven't dusted them all summer and haven't washed the windows either. I will post the brand when I can.

• HU-18235782
    5 years ago

i had the white 2inch faux wood plantation brand levelor for 13 years with no problems with fading or warping or smell of any kind. i take them down and bleach in tub and it works very well every couple years. Updating decor so I'm replacing with the walnut faux wood. The white are in excellent shape and I'm passing them on to my daughter-in-law for her home. Hope this is helpful in making your decisions.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Skip the blinds, faux or real wood, and go with an energy efficient window treatment. Cellular shades ESPECIALLY in Florida is the way to go.

Cellular Shades in Action · More Info

10-25% of heating and in this case cooling costs are wasted out of the windows!

When we did the math, it averages up to $325 going out the window every year!. EEK! Energy saving cellular shades control drafts to keep temperatures at a constant, so air conditioners aren't working so hard to keep the room regulated.

Something to consider. :)

• Michael Elliott
    4 years ago

Home Depot Faux blinds less than a month old. Direct sunlight. They will go back to the store tomorrow.

• salonva
    4 years ago

Really? I had faux wood 2 inchers from both HD and Lowe's and they were totally fine. I mean I wasn't looking for 100% blackout, but they were quite functional and I was pleased. We moved and currently on the windows in the new house are cellular shades which work fine but I happen to prefer the blinds. I like to be able to see out without being in full view and I like to be able to control the level of light coming in.

• decormyhomepls
    4 years ago

No problem with my faux blinds either and half the windows get direct southern exposure in this hot southern town. No warping, fading, discoloration. Had them 5 years