Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

o
Post the gorgeous, goofy, and ghastly CL items here!

Posted by anele (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 0:17

I saw this and it made me laugh . . .

Haunted Old Timey Steamer Trunk

Pretty classic steamer trunk we have here except that it's quite large. Roughly the height of a credenza or sofa table. This way you don't have to display your vintage egg beater collection at some awkward 20 inches off the ground. Tons of storage space too for whatever the heck you like. Just no people though. My friend Amy in the picture recovered but she's still pretty salty about the whole thing.

What is on your CL these days?

Here is a link that might be useful: Haunted Old Timey Steamer Trunk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Post the gorgeous, goofy, and ghastly CL items here!

I found this listed as antique sofa. look at the odd spade feet on it... I think it is a piece that has been cannibalized with new feet added to a modern piece... but I don't know much about furniture styles. what the heck is this?

Here is a link that might be useful: craigslist link to antique sofa

This post was edited by egbar on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 7:29

o

Gads, the fabric looks like it came out of the back seat of an old 70's Ford. I think you are right about the added feet.

Our CL is pitiful here. The majority of ads are from a military base with RTA furniture being sold. The rest are so overpriced, one would think the furniture was owned by the queen at one time.

o

This doesn't fit into any of the three categories, but I shook my head when I read it.

Antique Painting - $4000 (Woodbridge Va)

This is an auction for a painting that was acquired by my Grandfather as part of an Estate he managed. I am not sure the exact age but have taken some detailed pictures. Also trying to find artist.

This is a beautiful painting and I am sure it is worth thousands.

Cash only and Antique Dealers welcome. NO low ball offers.

You SCAM Artists beware I am on to you. I will not fall for your phony check scams. You will be reported!

o

oh fun post! there's one listing i keep going back to re-read because it makes me laugh.

This is the ultimate status symbol that instantly makes anyone look like a better person. If you are a runner, a biker, a walker, or an automobile user, this table is perfect for you. It is also handicap accessible. The comfy cozy seats are perfect for a skinny persons bony butt while wide enough to fit the badunkadunk of the juiciest Dress Barn model. It is solid wood, proving your dominance over the trees all while making it sturdy enough for a 6'1" man to pass the fresh sausage to his unsuspecting wife while she reaches across the table for some extra gravy. The table comes with a custom cover to protect your wood and two leafs because size does matter.

I must regretfully sell this luxurious table because my wife is a vegetarian and I just do not feel that it is fair to the table. If you have a house this is the table for you, if you are homeless I recommend you spend your money in a better place but I will sell it to you anyways. Who am I to judge?

Price is $500 if you want all the before mentioned and four chairs or $675 if you want all six, because the chairs are the bomb and I would really like to keep two of them. I guess I would sell it with only three chairs for $425 but why would you want an odd number of chairs? That leaves two chairs for $385, one for $350, or just the table for $275.
cash only

o

These are so funny!! Here is one from the Pgh list:

Dolphin Tables & Lamps - $125 (Butler)

4 piece set.. Glass coffee table, Sofa table & 2 matching lamps. Great condition!!

Here is a link that might be useful: CLS Dolphins

o

4 piece set.. Glass coffee table, Sofa table & 2 matching lamps. Great condition!!

o

o

I cracked up at the ad for a "Foe fireplace and mantle"...I guess it's something only your enemies can love.

o

removing duplicate

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 9:52

o

removing duplicate

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 9:51

o

not as good as the "Beautiful Gun Cabinet" that is listed daily. And certainly not as entertaining as the couch for sale with the kid curled up on it with a blanket looking like he has the flu, but here you go...

Why in the world would you not take the stuff off the chair? To prove it is "oversized"???

o

not as good as the "Beautiful Gun Cabinet" that is listed daily. And certainly not as entertaining as the couch for sale with the kid curled up on it with a blanket looking like he has the flu, but here you go...

Why in the world would you not take the stuff off the chair? To prove it is "oversized"???

o

Fun posts!

Apparently it sold, but the other day there was an ad for a "baday" (bidet) toilet...

And in the ghastly category there is this:

"Authentic hand carved African mask of a human face with 7 intact human teeth. This wonderful family treasure is from Kenya, 80- 100 years old. No texts please, will not be answered. Serious collectors please. $600.00 Cash only. Interesting background story! "

o

Fun posts!

Apparently it sold, but the other day there was an ad for a "baday" (bidet) toilet...

And in the ghastly category there is this:

"Authentic hand carved African mask of a human face with 7 intact human teeth. This wonderful family treasure is from Kenya, 80- 100 years old. No texts please, will not be answered. Serious collectors please. $600.00 Cash only. Interesting background story! "

o

Ding Ding Ding...we might have a winner.

And Yes, it does say One Hundred Seventy Five Dollars.

o

This is fun! This is the first thing I saw on CL today. The seller says the photo shows silver but theirs is black to match the grosgrain ribbon. Kind of adorable. I hope this works:

Here is a link that might be useful: Chapeau-a-lier

o

For all you craigslist shoppers.... A question. (ebay) but similar - used furniture. I see local to me a set of stickey sofas on ebay. They are listed at about 4k for a sofa and loveseat and I called an discounted you can get one for abour 4k so that is about 50% off. That still seems like a lot, no? It says or best offer. I am debating on making an offer. I think that stickley is good quality. There is also a drexel heritage set. any opinions on that quality?

Maybe I should start a post!

o

When I saw these chairs listed, I wondered if the dog came with it. Looks like the two rockers currently on my daughters porch. Her dogs have ruined them!

maggiepie11 - That add is a scream! Surely it was flagged and taken off. My favorite part is the family portrait in the background.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockers

o

This post on how to sell on CL cracked me up. Warning - profanity.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to sell used furniture

This post was edited by boopadaboo on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 16:58

o

boopadaboo, that is too funny!!!!

I cringed reading about the dead skin cells as I just bought some chairs for my sons bedroom. I'll remind him he should vacuum them thoroughly!! Just posted it to my facebook as that needs to be shared.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 17:00

o

I have had this conversation with funky...around here, people don't thing their ____ smells and they price stuff way too high! I think it has to do with the thought process that in affluent areas, the seller doesn't need the money, so they let treasures go for cheap, but in less-than-affluent areas, people are holding on to the original retail price like it is their life vest.

They need to understand that just because they paid a lot of money for it 10 years ago, it is outdated and really not worth anywhere near that amount. (of course all the the antiques are not the rule here). But really, those big oversized puffy pieces of furniture that one was silly enough to pay too much money for back in 1986 really isn't worth that much money any more. No matter how much you say "I paid $2k for this when it was new, so now I want $3k for it".

To these people I say "Your ___smells. Get over it" and donate it or sell it for $10.

Ok, I feel better now. And this isn't intended to offend anyone here, because we all know, that all the GW members' ____ doesn't smell.

:)

o

well, it wasn't on craigslist, but in classifieds I have often seen mis- spellings or non- intended meanings in ads.
My favorite has to be this for sale ad:
" four pollster bed, can't get it upstairs."
ok, I'm, done now!

Gee Bee, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel! LOL
(Sometimes I feel like that about the way folks price things too)

o

What about 'rod iron' and 'dinning' table? In our area, these are some of the common, comical descriptions.

o

I have to say that I'm really baffled by the "dinning" tables. Where does that come from? I mean I can even understand the chester drawers or draws.

o

ROTFL....literally!!!!!

o

Can anyone guess what language it is?

Taibol. For. salle

Here is a link that might be useful: Taibol

This post was edited by LanaRoma on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 20:44

o

These are great! Am disappointed not to be able to access Boopadaboo's link though : (
Hoping there is not something wrong with my computer...

o

boopadoo- That post had me laughing so hard my cheeks hurt. It was just too true! But I have to admit CL has treasures! I came across a Kittinger wing chair for $50. The base was in near perfect condition and that chair is solid as a rock. The same seller opened his mother's storage facility to me and I snagged a fabulous sideboard for next to nothing. His mother was an ID for Colonial Williamsburg for close to thirty years and amassed an amazing collection of furniture. She is letting go piece by piece. I think that style of furniture is out of favor now, so it can be gotten for a song. It pays to know what you are looking for!

o

Not sure what to say about this...
cowboy coffee table - $700 (Olalla)
I have a cool old cowboy coffee table. This gets lots of compliments. I don't want to sell but no longer have the room for it. 253-569-6889 $700 O.B.O. May trade for?????

Here is a link that might be useful: cowboy coffee table more views

This post was edited by olychick on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 3:10

o

The link didn't work for me either at first as it was blocked. I clicked on my blocker icon and it let me open it.

o

Boopadaboo's link for Peegee (edited for profanity removal):
Tips for Selling Your Used Furniture on Craiglist
If you have to put “Like New” in quotations, it is not like new. Don’t bother. Just say how old it is and get on with it.

Nothing is stupider than seeing the same f****** plaid couch posted day after day with the subject heading screaming “BEAUTIFUL Couch GREAT CONDITION STUNNING”. First, this isn’t eBay, so stop posting as though you’re a toothless mouth-breather who’s barefoot and pregnant in Appalachia, selling your J.C. Penney-purchased promise ring with a 0.15 carat diamond on a used Mac connected through a modem. Second, plaid is not stunning, and will not be again for probably another 15 years.

Any furniture set that looks distinctly like it was made after 1970 is not “vintage.” Don’t fool yourself. Those big, watercolor-like splotchy fan patterns popular in 1980 have yet to make a comeback. Ditto smoked glass with those gold splatters and any veneer furniture with plastic inlays make to look like brass.

Keep in mind that, when selling furniture, you are selling something that you slept on, and probably had s** on at least twice. People aren’t buying your furniture because they want a piece of your history or the imprint of your naked buttocks; they are buying it because they can’t afford to go to Ethan Allen. The fact that your skins cells (and god knows what else) have been settling into the cushions for YEARS is not a strong selling point, but many of us are too poor to object. Just remember this when pricing your sofa.

Furniture, like cars, loses value fast. If you paid $3000 for a furniture set (sofa, chair, ottoman, and side table) 10 years ago, today it is worth about $150, if it’s in great condition. IKEA furniture loses value faster than any other kind of furniture in the world. The second you take that KIPPLAN sofa off the IKEA lot, it’s worth half of what it was, and it steadily depreciates after that until, about 5 years later, it's worth negative amounts of dollars. Do not try to sell it a year later for $20 off of the original price, even if you don’t have a cat and didn't smoke a pack a day sitting in your KIPPLAN. Leather sofas are the only ones that retain value, but only certain sofas, and even then, it should never sell for more than half of what you paid for it.

So your cushion has a “stain” that “might come out” if “it gets washed”? Then f****** wash it, you asstard! Spray on a little Oxyclean and toss the goshdarn (edited) slip cover in the washer! Is that difficult for you? Too much trouble? If it is, knock another $50 off the price. A stained sofa is 8 millions times less appealing than a clean one. I don’t care if you think it’s just Diet Coke �" clean it the f*** up before you try to sell.

Post a pic and measurements. Don't expect anyone to want to buy something that they can't see.

If you’ve had to post your sofa more than three times, either you are doing something wrong, or nobody likes you. Try lowering the price, getting a better picture (don’t put the sofa on the front lawn for the picture, butthead, that is so ghetto, and who knows how long it’s been sitting there?), or simply acknowledge that it ain’t great. There’s something about Seattle that makes people think that mediocrity is not only worthwhile but valuable. An old couch is an old couch. If you treasure it so much that you have to charge $600 to part with it, maybe you should just keep it.

And this is for ANY category, not just furniture: the SECOND someone buys your item, take the goshdarn (edit) ad down. This is not difficult. Do not go back into the ad and edit it to read "STUNNING PLAID SOFA WITH INLAID PLASTIC BRASS SOLD SOLD TODAY THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INQUIRIES". Email the people who have emailed you about the sofa and tell them it sold. Thank them for their time and wish them luck. Just don't alter your f****** ad. Why, asks you, the mouth-breather? Well, because, the people who already emailed you aren't checking your ad like some kind of stock ticker to see what the status is. The only ones who are going to see the ad are the next round of people who are looking for a stunning plaid sofa. When they come across your ad, they are going to think,"Ooh, great, some donkey (edited) just had to let me know that I missed a chance at his used furniture". And then they will wish horrible things upon you, and eventually these things will come true.

o

I always start with the "Free" listings, just to see what is out there. Today there was one for free teeth cleaning:

======================================================
 photo Aug81.jpg

After reading the post, I went back to the list:

photo Aug82.jpg

Too funny. I can't stop laughing!

Carol

o

This isn't from CL, but my small town weekly newspaper. Typed exactly as written. I had to share!

Pair of dentures. Used only a short time, gave Mom a great smile, reasonably priced, missing one tooth.

Eew.

o

This one rivals the recent Kingdom Mirror!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kingdom Mirror Part 2

o

Ahem. Someone has list their Bengal tiger. It loves children (for breakfast)

Lost Bengal Tiger
LOST: 450 lb. male Bengal Tiger.

Missing since Thursday.
6 years old, yellow-orange with black stripes.
Approximately 8 1/2 feet long.
Loves children.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bengal tiger

o

This is a good CL find. My daughter got 4 of these chairs for $100 for all.

o

Random thoughts....

After you stop laughing there are actually some serious design topics in the craigslist rant. Vintage....plaid...fake or real brass....ikea furniture/stuff....

Radiographs????

Beautiful mirror.

Umm on the tiger....where exactly is it missing? Apparently they thought it was important to note the age as you wouldn't want to confuse it with a 10 year old tiger that happened to be wandering in the neighborhood.

o

I just saw a "gerb alert" and concrete lentils. Man, you could not soak them long enough! I do believe the were lintels. Also a lawnmover.

o

Please tell me that some of you found the juxtaposition in the teeth cleaning ad funny? The ones you all have posted are hysterical! The mirror reminds me of Michael Jackson's taste.

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 13:07

o

I can't tell if this is a pile of carp* on this sofa, or a person under a pile of carp*, but seriously, you couldn't sweep the junk onto the floor to take a shot of what it is you're trying to sell? Purple leather! And yes, we can see how well you care for your stuff.

"Purple leather couch and accent chair. Great condition. Dania brand. Scuff mark on the arm. No rips, tears, stains or funky animal smells. This is in really good condition aside from the scuff mark. $300 for the set"

This post was edited by olychick on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 13:44

o

Ok, if no one posts by midnight tonight that they got dental cleaning joke, I am going to explain it. Someone has to take a closer look - hilarious!

Carol

o

These are HILARIOUS!!!!!

Back with more, but Carol, I get it! Ruff, ruff!

o

Is Grace the dog?

And today on our CL, we have a dragon cell phone holder. Surprisingly it doesn't say "antique"...but it is Mid-Evil. Is that similar to Mid Century Modern?

o

Thanks for posting everyone. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!

o

Great condition...really...eeeeew. It smells just looking at it. No way would I want to buy that for my college student. $100!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Futon

o
Another

$250 for this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Table

o

O Graywings, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Did anyone share this thread with their family? No one in my house finds this funny. Actually DH did find the "selling the table because my wife is a vegetarian" funny but really nothing else.

I'm here laughing so hard I have tears running down my face as I attempt to read this stuff out loud to my family. They find no humor in it. What is wrong with them?

o

Deb, I find them hysterical, too! I think it must partly be the element of surprise in reading it yourself that makes it so funny (?) I love all of these.

If you guys were into plants/gardening, I would post a ton of funny plant names that appear here in Jacksonville.

Carol

o

Most of ours are just the generic stupid, ugly, overstuffed microfiber or Ikea garbage. There is one person who has been trying to sell a meat sensor-some kind of probe that tests the freshness of meat. (As if you couldn't tell my sniffing?). It's NIP, and started out at $40, but is currently down to $5. Perhaps next week it'll be free?

Also the person trying to sell a 'vintage' NIP Presto air pop popcorn machine for $25. It's that price new at Target...

In any event, this is the most creative one I've seen in a while:

Here is a link that might be useful: Genuine Stoner Table

o

Yeah....I handed the ipad to DH the other night to read the dining room table one...but he couldnt take his eyes off the tv long enough to "get it" so I just said never mind and took the ipad back.

MizM--you up for the challenge of turning the stoner table into one of your masterpieces or is that pushing it? lol.

o

Priceless vintage Davenport

ONE OF A KIND vintage, canvas ecru chesterfield sleeper measuring 6x3x2. Pull-out queen mattress means that your bedrooms have doubled! Naturally time-aged over 30yrs; stains and fringe are unique and unreplicable. $600 obo- NO LOWBALL OFFERS / ONLY SERIOUS INQUIRIES. Cash and carry.

o

Not funny, but he started out at 1K, then 500.00, now it's 50.00

Here is a link that might be useful: Chesterfield Couch

o

love the yard, Please explain the dental joke.

o

So Mom died and they are selling her dentures minus one tooth?

o

Debrak- the dental cleaning says to.ask for Grace, then a few posts down on the CL ad is a picture of a dog and its labeled Grace.

o

Some of these are so hysterical I’ve been giggling my heart out. Newhomebuilder’s rustic table is a great one, it’s even got an automatic crumb disposal, just push them down the gaps between the planks! The Priceless Vintage fringed davenport is only $600? What a steal! And the set of dentures kills me - they actually expect someone to PAY for those? These are just too, too funny!!

o

Debrak- the dental cleaning says to.ask for Grace, then a few posts down on the CL ad is a picture of a dog and its labeled Grace.

o

The dog loves this couch, and you shouldn’t pass it up because it’s free........

Here is a link that might be useful: free couch

o

And the funniest part about the dental cleaning and the dog named Grace: it was all by chance! Complete coincidence! I'm reading... cleanings... ask for Grace... hmmm... ok.... go back to the list to see what else is there today... boom, there's Grace!

o

These are making me laugh so hard! I am showing my family, too. My 8 y.o. asks me to show her the latest!

Nosoccer, now it looks like it is free!

o

No.

Deer leg table - $30
I have a 4 legged deer table for sale. It's very sturdy. It's 7'' tall by 9'' wide.

o

Anele, we all laughed out loud at that one!!!

o

Thanks for the explanation!

o

Just came across this one in our area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lifechanging Microfiber Chair

o

Oh my goodness. What are people THINKING? Here's an ad for a couch where you can barely see the item for sale because of the man and baby sitting on it. And is it just me, or does he look creepy?

Here is a link that might be useful: Couch - and family? - for sale

o

That baby is worth at least $100. The dude...nah. He can stay with the couch.

o

Grace, the tooth-cleaning dog, will be on Letterman tonight. Don't miss it!

o

Does anyone else find this creepy? Reminds me of something out of a horror movie with a title of "Push Grandma Down the Stairs"

Here is a link that might be useful: Wheelchair looking, rocking chair

o

Does anyone else find this creepy? Reminds me of something out of a horror movie with a title of "Push Grandma Down the Stairs"

Here is a link that might be useful: Wheelchair looking, rocking chair

o

How about some collectible glass bowels? Yuck!

o

This scary couch "with plastic mirror" has been posted at least three times here....

o

Single draw huh?? & WAIT JUST WAIT it's VERY sort after kind of table..

Here is a link that might be useful: http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/single_draw_drum_table/1692285/

o

OMG. I think I have a winner, or wiener, if you see this 'custom chandelier' as I do! If size matters, this looks like quite a lot for $25. Who wants this incredible fixture that no one else will have?

photo 00z0z_8Ij6IM4BeA7_600x450_zpsd31ce9f2.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom Chandelier - $25

o

Ok, I really need to get my mind out of the gutter. Had to look at the link on that chandelier. Did anyone notice the wording. Have to see to appreciate.. firm on price.

I saw the grace connection but I guess it just didn't strike me. I thought there was something else I was missing.

o

I would go take a look if it were in my area.(with a couple of very big friends)

For the deconstruction value of the crystals alone.
That's if those are crystals.

o

Holy ugh, that is something and may have ruined crystal chandeliers for me forever. There must be a fancy urologist's office that could use that....trying to imagine why it was created in the first place, except, well, you know.

You win the prize m3d!

o

Ha, ha, ha!!!! Thanks for keeping these coming. I really need some laughs and these do NOT disappoint!

M3D's latest proves my STRONG dislike (with very few exceptions) of anything listed on CL as "custom." It often means that someone with no design skills had something specially made and it's ugly even to them, so they want it gone.

o

After I posted it last night, I did a search of the sellers phone number in 'All Items For Sale', and while the ad above was in the furniture section, she has it listed under Antiques for $50!

NOW after Googling, I think someone may be playing a joke on the seller. I see that 'it' was created by the company below!

Imagine getting calls 'anytime' asking about her...ah...listed item!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pen*s Chandelierďż˝

o

Yes, someone, maybe a disgruntled boyfriend or husband, is posting ads for this woman. I just saw one in the Free section for a strippers pole.

I don't know how long it will remain up, but it says "FREE!!! I have a stripper pole that i no longer need. She broke her leg and is retiring. 1 bottle of pole polish and all hardware. Call ###-####.'

I replaced the phone number.

o

"Ok, I really need to get my mind out of the gutter. Had to look at the link on that chandelier. Did anyone notice the wording. Have to see to appreciate.. firm on price. "

marti8a, you forgot to mention the rest of the ad...

"call ANYTIME" "Allys" "son"

Now my mind is in the gutter. Someone needs to send this to ELLEN. OK, I'll do it. It's a shame that someone seems to be playing a joke on this Allyson person.

o

Image search shows it around since 2009.

o

People are funny.

A Couch woven entirely from Unicorn manes and the fur of Falcor. - $290

One word. GLORIOUS! Amirite? Look at it! Or don't! Cuz you might get hypnotized! I think i did a decent job of picturing the color but you really have to see it to feel it. It's kind of color changing if that makes any sense. Like those cars that were hot in the 90's that changed colors from different angles. Like that. There's gold, orange, yellow, a light turqoise, pale greens. It's a stunner. Literally. I stared at it for about 3 hours so I was sitting there stunned. And it's in excellent shape. Totally mint except for one thing. One of the seat cushions isn't embossed like to other two. I think it may have been switched out with a loveseat cushion. It's still super clean and it's not very noticeable. I didn't notice it when I found it and neither did my friends when they first had a look. (BABY DEERS NOT INCLUDED)

Here is a link that might be useful: funny

o

Here is a really gorgeous desk on the Antique forum that I just had to show y'all. It's not on CL, but the poster wants to sell and needs information on the desk. No one has attempted to help the person, so I thought I would post the thread, here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help with desk

o

I was searching 'couch' and this came up on my local CL today.

" bloody couch. Not a murder"

Um, ok?

o

M3D, that light! omg. All I can think about is that chandy and that one I posted a long time ago of the "swimmers"...yikes. "Do these chandys work together?"

Nothing too fab on mine lately, but this one did make me laugh....well, the picture did, the fake fireplace is not funny. On so many levels it isn't funny...but anyway...

o

That photo above looks like it was taken many years ago. The three dogs crack me up - wonder why - but does anyone else see the woman as unusually flexible? I don't think I could crank my leg up like that!

o

In the Jacksonville FREE listings:

Gold Fish Allergy Eater (Green Cove Springs)
"Free gold fish and allergy eater"

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold Fish Allergy Eater (Green Cove Springs)

o

Teak Patio Furniture (Crate & Barrel), puppies and wine* - $150

Perfectly good, but aged teak patio furniture from Crate and Barrel, it has a a silver patina from weather exposure (stored inside during winters) and me being too lazy to apply teak oil every year. I would keep it but when my wife gets on Amazon.com she needs to buy something so we're getting new patio furniture. yay.
If anyone can program my computer so when she goes to Amazon the only pages that come up are for big screen TV's I'll give you the furniture.

*Puppies and wine not included

o

I could actually use an allergy eater! Or even an algae eater.

The couch with the fawns (what the???) is...I confess, I'd look twice at it too! If I inherited it from a clean relative I'd work with it. (Generally I am skittish about used upholstered items.)

o

This is something I have always wanted! Looks so comfy. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bench

o

Brass is back, baby! Call me crazy, but I really like this!

Solid Brass Mastercraft Cabinet - $750 (Galleria)

Regency Modern Solid Brass Mastercraft Vitrine Hollywood Mid-Century Cabinet. Glass shelves, mirrored back. Classic furniture in every respect. Very good condition (one brass strip on lower left side needs repair) and lighted. 86 high x 38 wide x 16 deep. Glass shelves are 35 wide x 12 deep.

o

Alex, if you have the $$, better buy that as an investment! Look at the prices of them on this eBay link below! That's a HUGE bargain compared to these. Note that one seller has three of them, for $6999.00 each or best offer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brass Mastercraft Vitrine Hollywood Mid-Century Cabinet

o

Holy smokes! That IS a screaming deal. I've been looking for something to house books and a few accessories. Would this look silly holding those things?

o

For that price, I think you can MAKE it look good. Who says a book case has to be wood?

I have a brass Mastercraft coffee table from eBay that I adore. I paid $341, and the first one I saw on 1st Dibs back then was this one, for $3900. They now have a few from other vendors for $1100 - $1200. The quality is wonderful!

Here is a link that might be useful: My table on 1st Dibs for $3900.00

o

I also have a brass coffee table. I lucked into it at Goodwill and it looks like a La Barge, but without the name on it anywhere. Such a lovely patina!
 photo 2011Firstdayofschool019.jpg

I showed DH and you should have seen his face, LOL! "Definitely 70s" were his only words. He might go for it, though. There have been several instances where he's been surprised at how nice something looks once it's in place.

o

I'm certain your coffee table IS a LaBarge, as I have studied them for a long time. They're just too big for my old cape's bowling alley of a living room!

o

I have seen this table listed 3 times on my local CL. I am surprised that it is still available. I don't need one, but I think it is pretty. I wish the seller would show the top. Must be in bad shape.

I love that brass cabinet!

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee Table

o

Delete

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 21:22

o

$40. Best Goodwill purchase EVER :)

o

Looks like the poor table keeled over! Interesting way to hide defects.

o

$400 for this breakfront-it would hold a LOT of books :)

o

Even when this gets reupholstered, it's still FUGLY. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it'd be to sit on. I suppose it was the fashion in the Victorian Era to sit up rigidly-that could be the only explanation for the uncomfortable design.

Here is a link that might be useful: Settee

o

Alex, you have a GREAT CL where you are! Does hubby like that one better than the brass?

Pesky, I agree. As much as I like to re-do old furniture, that holds no appeal.

o

Pesky, my first thought was "Franken-chair"! It looks like someone took two chairs and glued a bench in between. Uuu-gly!

o

That breakfront is gorgeous! Very similar to one that my daughter inherited from my husbands aunt in Atlanta. What a great price, too. Our CL has nothing but junk, or overpriced items.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Chest

o

Newhome-- wow!!! Don't you wonder what goes through people's minds as they price items? There was a dining set that was on my CL for at least 5 years. It was a typical 20s style in nice condition . . .for over $3K.

Alex . . .wow, wow, wow . . .I loved the brass but if that breakfront fits your space, go get it. Like you said, will hold even more!

Pesky, I am with you. It just does not work.

o

I love this one, anybody want to take a road trip

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist ad

o

Hahahaha Anita! I grew up there!

Oops! Nevermind, I paid more attention to the Spgfld part.

This post was edited by alex9179 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 16:55

o

How did this design get past the idea phase!?!

o

It looks like it's among friends - in 'The Land Of The Big Puffy Furniture', from what I can see in the background, but this is definitely the star of the show!

Looks like the lucky buyer has an option to get the matching couch, peeking in from the left.

o

Alex, that is the most hideous chair ever. There have been some other doozies on other CL threads, but that one is right up there near the top for ugly.

o

For the man cave.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tailgate bench

o

I had to click on that to check out the Nova. Looks like he used the same paint on both. No wonder the Nova is angry!

o

This would go nicely with the Ford bench.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moulin Rouge Inspired Dresser

o

The tailgate bench description sounds like it was written by the same person as the DR set in the first few posts....hmmmm.

o

The tailgate bench description sounds like it was written by the same person as the DR set in the first few posts....hmmmm.

o

I'm not sure what this falls under, but it's certainly colorful and expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bright sofa

o

Heavens! Looks like a Star Trek creature!

o

My local CL is now featuring a china cabinet with an $8000 price tag, in spite of it being kept outside and having ivy growing on it.

/sigh

I just don't know what to think. Except that I don't think much of people who keep indoor furniture outdoors.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/atq/4015584229.html

o

It's not goofy, ghastly, or beautiful, but I wonder whether I should email the person why I'm apparently not the only one who doesn't want these tables. They've
been on CL for a long time and come in several variations, all with the same legs.
Reclaimed pine farm table

o

Say what?

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful?

o
Should I report this?

Maybe you can make a deal and have them throw in the nursery accessories.

Hope the bed is made with safety measures better than the surroundings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand Made Toddler Bed

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 17:39

o

Fori, HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I wonder if the ivy is free, or is there an extra charge. Also, you know that the $8K is a steal, given that "visitors who know antiques say it is worth between twelve and fifteen thousand dollars."

Nosoccer, what does your ideal table look like? I keep seeing this one and think of you.

$125

Newhome, it's safe to say I would NOT be willing to go to the home where the toddler bed is for sale.

Mrsmortar-- wow. I am not an expert, but, wow. $2K for that?

Here is mine for today.

Great Condition "Fore" You

Two more CL for today:
(1) You know you are on CL too often when you see a rug SOMEONE else on CL sold in an ad for a different item (it was a unique rug)
(2) Why do I see an item listed for ages, never selling . . .and then the person raises the price.
This chair has been on forever. Was $45. Didn't sell. Now it is $90.

This post was edited by anele on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 21:36

o

Anele, I very much like the table! It may be a bit too short, though. Ideally, I'd like to seat 8 people.

o

anele- I've noticed a china cabinet that started at $150 2 months ago is now up to $800. It would be best suited for the free section (one pane of glass missing, two cracked, and one door is just kind of hanging out), but it's an antique (1960's at best), so it must be valuable, right?

o

Chin-What? Listing for a Chin-Wah headboard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chin-Wah

o

bbstx, I bet that seller heard someone say 'Chinoiserie' at one to to describe the bed, and they can't remember the whole word.

We have a seller here who couldn't sell a chair for $125, after it was listed for months, so re-posted and listed if for $175. I actually wrote them and wished them luck with their new sales strategy. Months later, it's STILL listed, but now for $30.

The golf table really creeps me out. I love the old pine one that Anele shows. We have a similar one up here that I have written about 6 times, but they seem to know how to place an ad, but not read responses to it. It's been listed twice; and I suspect emails go to their spam folder which they don't check.

photo 00X0X_5J0i93YZymv_600x450_zpsfe63b27a.jpg

The table that nosoccermom shows with the stair baluster legs, is a good idea, if only they would go a step further to put those legs on a lathe and correct the last 6" or so!!!! I WOULD write and suggest they do that, or stick to making coffee tables where they can shorten then legs from both ends.

o

Looks like the guy building farm house tables came across a bundle of porch railings for legs.

The outdoor cabinet makes me sad. Not only the price but how they have treated it. Obviously needs a lot of restoration, they showed a portion which has the sealer bubbled. Forget all and it would be a wonderful piece in a home.

o

Is it just me or does this look like it came out of the dump? $30!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocker Lounger

o

Okay, I'll try. Here's a listing for a "cuna" (crib), -- no wonder they're selling it--they need the money to buy another bed!

not sure why anybody would post a pic like that. You can't even see the crib that well.

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/fuo/4028083172.html

o

Hey, who cares what it looks like as long as it works: Two kids asleep!!!

o

Now someone has got to need this. Maybe not someone HERE, but someone out there, somewhere. He's 4 feet tall and approx. 50 years old.

photo 00b0b_d8K7PNdW4zd_600x450_zps34daa88a.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Who Needs a Conquistador? Unique Statue

o

So is Hernando hawking saws, wine, or vokda?

o

He's a little short for me, but very handsome, so I was ready to drive to Portland to get him. Then I realized it was Portland, Maine.

o

It's hard to tell, isn't it?

Oly! Your taste in men is very different from mine... I guess we could say he's an old fashioned gentleman, but I think he'd scare me if I came home some night and saw him standing in my house. Maybe he'd be OK on the lawn for Halloween?

o

Anyone need a college diploma?

Here is a link that might be useful: College Diploma

o

FREE FAT BABY CERAMIC STATUE

this is FAT BABY i made him in college a few years ago but it is time for him to go out into the world. he's a cute fat baby holding 2 fat birds. he's hollow on the inside. he is BIG about 17 inches tall. please take him and love him as your own.

(at least the price is right)

Here is a link that might be useful: fat baby

o

This doesn't really compete with the others...but I just don't know what to think. Nice in a kitchen? Or ewwww? Is it even what it's claimed to be? I think it might be misdiagnosed.

Here is a link that might be useful: beautiful doctors (sic) exam table

o

Hmmm...and I thought waiting on the table at my OBGYN's office, while trying to old my paper sheet together, was uncomfortable!

Pretty table, though.

o

*sigh*

o

I'm on a roll....

Guess what this is...

o

Hmmm, a cheese wheel?

o

Nope...it's an ottoman. I think the seller might be Martyn Lawrence Bullard....he uses the word "delicious" in his description:

This very cool rounded ottoman was a vintage purchase which I intended to fix up and use as the centerpiece of a walk-in closet, however construction plans have been delayed and the closet will not happen as quickly as hoped, and in the mean time we need to put windows in our garage, so I need to sell to gain storage space. This is a very cool shape (like pac-man) which could be used to go around the corner of a wall to be a banquette, or just left as is for a neat design. The velvet or velour fabric is like a golden vanilla color, very rich and regal looking, classic glam. You can use it as a coffee table/ottoman piece with a sofa, or like I was going to as a lounge seating piece in a fabulous closet, bedroom, family room, home theater room, humongous Moroccan style bathroom, etc. Pretty versatile and probably a great conversation piece wherever you put it. Instant style, and a forever classic.

Measures 60" diameter (5' across!) -- Deliciously HUGE!

Note that there is some staining and dirt on the upholstery. The lines across the top are just indentations in the velvet from what this was leaning against in our garage, those will fluff out. I tried to get good photos but since this is a velvety or velour type fabric it was hard to catch it right. There are some stains on the top, and the pointed edges have worn spots, and dirt. I have done a brush-off of the dirt, but I don't have the time or cleaning supplies to try to see if Oxy-clean or something will work on this. I would guess it would, but I need to leave that to the buyer, and my price reflects this. The upholestry is so pretty, and dramatic. I would think it would definitely be worth your while to try to salvage it. Even if some of the stains don't completely come out, they are hard to see with the velvet texture. It is up to you. Also, since this is an older item, the foam in the cushion feels a little on the hard side. It is not terrible, I mean it could still be used, but if you want a super-cushy seat I recommend reupholstering. Up to you. I try to think of all picky things to tell people. This is a really well-made piece and to get this custom made would be like $800+just for the frame and padding, then another few hundred for the upholstery fabric (depending on what you chose). Velvet is pretty pricey these days too, so if you can salvage it, you got a crazy good buy. Rare and unique custom item that you will not find elsewhere, and won't be able to make for such a low price.

Here is a link that might be useful: And In Case You Can't Resist...

o

Armua? What an idiot. We all know it's an armwa. Jeez.

Love the cheese wheel!

o

Thanks for the laughs. That bloody couch is the worst.

o

I've seen a lot of PedeSTOOL tables on my CL recently. I don't even try to narrow it down, anymore. I just look at all the furniture because you never know how it will be listed.

o

I want to have some compassion for people who wouldn't know how to spell armoire - it's tough to look it up. However, there are usually about 200 of them listed on CL with the correct spelling and all someone has to do is look at any one of those pics and figure it out. Even google will suggest the correct spelling if you type in armwar. So, it's just plain sloth or indifference to not spell it correctly.

o

My3dogs would love this! Vintage Swedish pine dresser with dovetail drawers, and it comes with the key.

Why can't I be rich and not have to prioritize my expenditures?!?!?!

o

This CL post is text only (no pics) and here's the the text for when the listing disappears:
===================================
free trible tattoo for woman tonight (jax)

must be over 19 and have DL. I have a trible piece I would like to do that would fit like a belt from hi to hip. I come to you set up and tattoo. tonight only. hit me with contact info and pic.
====================================

Translation:
trible = tribal
DL = drivers license

Hey, Jacksonville is a hip and sophisticated city if you're ever looking for a great place to live.  photo eye-roll.gif

Here is a link that might be useful: free trible tattoo for woman tonight (jax)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here