Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

Post the gorgeous, goofy, and ghastly CL items here!

anele_gw
10 years ago

I saw this and it made me laugh . . .

Haunted Old Timey Steamer Trunk
{{gwi:1773332}}
Pretty classic steamer trunk we have here except that it's quite large. Roughly the height of a credenza or sofa table. This way you don't have to display your vintage egg beater collection at some awkward 20 inches off the ground. Tons of storage space too for whatever the heck you like. Just no people though. My friend Amy in the picture recovered but she's still pretty salty about the whole thing.

What is on your CL these days?

Here is a link that might be useful: Haunted Old Timey Steamer Trunk

Comments (149)

• alex9179
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks like the poor table keeled over! Interesting way to hide defects.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

$400 for this breakfront-it would hold a LOT of books :)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Even when this gets reupholstered, it's still FUGLY. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it'd be to sit on. I suppose it was the fashion in the Victorian Era to sit up rigidly-that could be the only explanation for the uncomfortable design.

Here is a link that might be useful: Settee

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Alex, you have a GREAT CL where you are! Does hubby like that one better than the brass?

Pesky, I agree. As much as I like to re-do old furniture, that holds no appeal.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Pesky, my first thought was "Franken-chair"! It looks like someone took two chairs and glued a bench in between. Uuu-gly!

• nhb22
    10 years ago

That breakfront is gorgeous! Very similar to one that my daughter inherited from my husbands aunt in Atlanta. What a great price, too. Our CL has nothing but junk, or overpriced items.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Chest

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Newhome-- wow!!! Don't you wonder what goes through people's minds as they price items? There was a dining set that was on my CL for at least 5 years. It was a typical 20s style in nice condition . . .for over $3K.

Alex . . .wow, wow, wow . . .I loved the brass but if that breakfront fits your space, go get it. Like you said, will hold even more!

Pesky, I am with you. It just does not work.

• AnitaRn
    10 years ago

I love this one, anybody want to take a road trip

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist ad

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Hahahaha Anita! I grew up there!

Oops! Nevermind, I paid more attention to the Spgfld part.

This post was edited by alex9179 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 16:55

• alex9179
    10 years ago

How did this design get past the idea phase!?!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

It looks like it's among friends - in 'The Land Of The Big Puffy Furniture', from what I can see in the background, but this is definitely the star of the show!

Looks like the lucky buyer has an option to get the matching couch, peeking in from the left.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Alex, that is the most hideous chair ever. There have been some other doozies on other CL threads, but that one is right up there near the top for ugly.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

For the man cave.
    {{gwi:1773350}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Tailgate bench

• Fori
    10 years ago

I had to click on that to check out the Nova. Looks like he used the same paint on both. No wonder the Nova is angry!

• mrsmortarmixer
    10 years ago

This would go nicely with the Ford bench.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moulin Rouge Inspired Dresser

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

The tailgate bench description sounds like it was written by the same person as the DR set in the first few posts....hmmmm.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

The tailgate bench description sounds like it was written by the same person as the DR set in the first few posts....hmmmm.

• mrsmortarmixer
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what this falls under, but it's certainly colorful and expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bright sofa

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Heavens! Looks like a Star Trek creature!

• Fori
    10 years ago

My local CL is now featuring a china cabinet with an $8000 price tag, in spite of it being kept outside and having ivy growing on it.

/sigh

I just don't know what to think. Except that I don't think much of people who keep indoor furniture outdoors.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/atq/4015584229.html

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It's not goofy, ghastly, or beautiful, but I wonder whether I should email the person why I'm apparently not the only one who doesn't want these tables. They've
    been on CL for a long time and come in several variations, all with the same legs.
    Reclaimed pine farm table

{{gwi:1773351}}

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Say what?

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful?

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Maybe you can make a deal and have them throw in the nursery accessories.

Hope the bed is made with safety measures better than the surroundings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand Made Toddler Bed

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 17:39

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fori, HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I wonder if the ivy is free, or is there an extra charge. Also, you know that the $8K is a steal, given that "visitors who know antiques say it is worth between twelve and fifteen thousand dollars."

Nosoccer, what does your ideal table look like? I keep seeing this one and think of you.
    {{gwi:1773352}}
    $125

Newhome, it's safe to say I would NOT be willing to go to the home where the toddler bed is for sale.

Mrsmortar-- wow. I am not an expert, but, wow. $2K for that?

Here is mine for today.
    {{gwi:1773353}}
    Great Condition "Fore" You

Two more CL for today:
    (1) You know you are on CL too often when you see a rug SOMEONE else on CL sold in an ad for a different item (it was a unique rug)
    (2) Why do I see an item listed for ages, never selling . . .and then the person raises the price.
    This chair has been on forever. Was $45. Didn't sell. Now it is $90.
    {{gwi:1773354}}

This post was edited by anele on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 21:36

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Anele, I very much like the table! It may be a bit too short, though. Ideally, I'd like to seat 8 people.

• mrsmortarmixer
    10 years ago

anele- I've noticed a china cabinet that started at $150 2 months ago is now up to $800. It would be best suited for the free section (one pane of glass missing, two cracked, and one door is just kind of hanging out), but it's an antique (1960's at best), so it must be valuable, right?

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Chin-What? Listing for a Chin-Wah headboard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chin-Wah

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

bbstx, I bet that seller heard someone say 'Chinoiserie' at one to to describe the bed, and they can't remember the whole word.

We have a seller here who couldn't sell a chair for $125, after it was listed for months, so re-posted and listed if for $175. I actually wrote them and wished them luck with their new sales strategy. Months later, it's STILL listed, but now for $30.

The golf table really creeps me out. I love the old pine one that Anele shows. We have a similar one up here that I have written about 6 times, but they seem to know how to place an ad, but not read responses to it. It's been listed twice; and I suspect emails go to their spam folder which they don't check.

The table that nosoccermom shows with the stair baluster legs, is a good idea, if only they would go a step further to put those legs on a lathe and correct the last 6" or so!!!! I WOULD write and suggest they do that, or stick to making coffee tables where they can shorten then legs from both ends.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Looks like the guy building farm house tables came across a bundle of porch railings for legs.

The outdoor cabinet makes me sad. Not only the price but how they have treated it. Obviously needs a lot of restoration, they showed a portion which has the sealer bubbled. Forget all and it would be a wonderful piece in a home.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Is it just me or does this look like it came out of the dump? $30!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocker Lounger

• violetwest
    10 years ago

Okay, I'll try. Here's a listing for a "cuna" (crib), -- no wonder they're selling it--they need the money to buy another bed!

not sure why anybody would post a pic like that. You can't even see the crib that well.

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/fuo/4028083172.html

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Hey, who cares what it looks like as long as it works: Two kids asleep!!!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Now someone has got to need this. Maybe not someone HERE, but someone out there, somewhere. He's 4 feet tall and approx. 50 years old.

Here is a link that might be useful: Who Needs a Conquistador? Unique Statue

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

So is Hernando hawking saws, wine, or vokda?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

He's a little short for me, but very handsome, so I was ready to drive to Portland to get him. Then I realized it was Portland, Maine.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

It's hard to tell, isn't it?

Oly! Your taste in men is very different from mine... I guess we could say he's an old fashioned gentleman, but I think he'd scare me if I came home some night and saw him standing in my house. Maybe he'd be OK on the lawn for Halloween?

• mrsmortarmixer
    10 years ago

Anyone need a college diploma?

Here is a link that might be useful: College Diploma

• jrueter
    10 years ago

FREE FAT BABY CERAMIC STATUE

this is FAT BABY i made him in college a few years ago but it is time for him to go out into the world. he's a cute fat baby holding 2 fat birds. he's hollow on the inside. he is BIG about 17 inches tall. please take him and love him as your own.

(at least the price is right)

Here is a link that might be useful: fat baby

• Fori
    10 years ago

This doesn't really compete with the others...but I just don't know what to think. Nice in a kitchen? Or ewwww? Is it even what it's claimed to be? I think it might be misdiagnosed.
    {{gwi:1773357}}

Here is a link that might be useful: beautiful doctors (sic) exam table

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Hmmm...and I thought waiting on the table at my OBGYN's office, while trying to old my paper sheet together, was uncomfortable!

Pretty table, though.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

*sigh*

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I'm on a roll....

Guess what this is...

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Hmmm, a cheese wheel?

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

Nope...it's an ottoman. I think the seller might be Martyn Lawrence Bullard....he uses the word "delicious" in his description:

This very cool rounded ottoman was a vintage purchase which I intended to fix up and use as the centerpiece of a walk-in closet, however construction plans have been delayed and the closet will not happen as quickly as hoped, and in the mean time we need to put windows in our garage, so I need to sell to gain storage space. This is a very cool shape (like pac-man) which could be used to go around the corner of a wall to be a banquette, or just left as is for a neat design. The velvet or velour fabric is like a golden vanilla color, very rich and regal looking, classic glam. You can use it as a coffee table/ottoman piece with a sofa, or like I was going to as a lounge seating piece in a fabulous closet, bedroom, family room, home theater room, humongous Moroccan style bathroom, etc. Pretty versatile and probably a great conversation piece wherever you put it. Instant style, and a forever classic.

Measures 60" diameter (5' across!) -- Deliciously HUGE!

Note that there is some staining and dirt on the upholstery. The lines across the top are just indentations in the velvet from what this was leaning against in our garage, those will fluff out. I tried to get good photos but since this is a velvety or velour type fabric it was hard to catch it right. There are some stains on the top, and the pointed edges have worn spots, and dirt. I have done a brush-off of the dirt, but I don't have the time or cleaning supplies to try to see if Oxy-clean or something will work on this. I would guess it would, but I need to leave that to the buyer, and my price reflects this. The upholestry is so pretty, and dramatic. I would think it would definitely be worth your while to try to salvage it. Even if some of the stains don't completely come out, they are hard to see with the velvet texture. It is up to you. Also, since this is an older item, the foam in the cushion feels a little on the hard side. It is not terrible, I mean it could still be used, but if you want a super-cushy seat I recommend reupholstering. Up to you. I try to think of all picky things to tell people. This is a really well-made piece and to get this custom made would be like $800+just for the frame and padding, then another few hundred for the upholstery fabric (depending on what you chose). Velvet is pretty pricey these days too, so if you can salvage it, you got a crazy good buy. Rare and unique custom item that you will not find elsewhere, and won't be able to make for such a low price.

Here is a link that might be useful: And In Case You Can't Resist...

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Armua? What an idiot. We all know it's an armwa. Jeez.

Love the cheese wheel!

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Thanks for the laughs. That bloody couch is the worst.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I've seen a lot of PedeSTOOL tables on my CL recently. I don't even try to narrow it down, anymore. I just look at all the furniture because you never know how it will be listed.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I want to have some compassion for people who wouldn't know how to spell armoire - it's tough to look it up. However, there are usually about 200 of them listed on CL with the correct spelling and all someone has to do is look at any one of those pics and figure it out. Even google will suggest the correct spelling if you type in armwar. So, it's just plain sloth or indifference to not spell it correctly.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

My3dogs would love this! Vintage Swedish pine dresser with dovetail drawers, and it comes with the key.

Why can't I be rich and not have to prioritize my expenditures?!?!?!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

This CL post is text only (no pics) and here's the the text for when the listing disappears:
    ===================================
    free trible tattoo for woman tonight (jax)

must be over 19 and have DL. I have a trible piece I would like to do that would fit like a belt from hi to hip. I come to you set up and tattoo. tonight only. hit me with contact info and pic.
    ====================================

Translation:
    trible = tribal
    DL = drivers license

Hey, Jacksonville is a hip and sophisticated city if you're ever looking for a great place to live.

Here is a link that might be useful: free trible tattoo for woman tonight (jax)