Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

kitchen tile

musicteacher
9 years ago

If I want to get my backsplash installed for half price I have to pick up tile tomorrow after work. Yikes. There is a big Floor and D�cor near me with thousands of choices, but most of them fancy glass and metal, multicolors etc. I have seen some really nice subway tiles here on this site, with some texture maybe? What is in the store is thin, shiny, and in the box it looks really cheap. Is that what people put behind soapstone that looks really classic? The stores that have the more unique looking tiles require ordering 10 days in advance. My backsplash will end in the middle of a wall, and also reach the sides of unframed windows. There is also an area with no cabinet above meaning I will need some kind of topper there too? I can't imagine bordering it with those wide frame looking pieces, but you can't just leave cut tile sticking out either. What am I looking for here?
My soapstone is I think called silver - a lighter bluish grey, cabinets I just painted white (really white) and walls will be palladium blue, a soft slightly greenish greyish blue. The backsplash really needs to be a light if not white.

Comments (5)

• teeda
    9 years ago

My subway tile is handmade, had to be ordered, and took about 6-7 weeks. Most of the nice subway tile I have seen on the kitchen board was also handmade. I think it would be hard to find something with the quality you want in stock in a store. Sorry, wish I could be more helpful!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

In our area we have a tile supply store that is both retail and a supplier to other tile stores. It has a back room of discontinued or overstock tile. You can buy what's there to go. I got very nice, expensive Italian porcelain tile for my PR for a song. Perhaps if you shop around, you may find an equivalent in your area. But it sounds like you will need cove pieces for the edges that are open, and it can be hard to find coves that match the tile that don't need to be ordered.

Also HD and Lowes has tile in stock, but a limited selection. But if you're looking to save money and are so limited in time, well, you have to make your choices and choose what works better for you.

The good news is, as it's only a backsplash, you won't need a lot of tile.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 7:49

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

What Annie said.....tile stores usually have discontinued and returned tile ready to go at a big discount. Also, Habitat for Humanity Restore stores usually have a lot of tile for sale...worth a look if you have one near you.

• User
    9 years ago

I'll start off by saying I don't have a tile backsplash and I'm no tile expert, but I've seen plenty of blogs that used stock white or cream subway tile off the shelves of a big box store and it looked nice when installed.

If your cabinets are white, I'd go with white subway tile and pick a grout color, gray maybe, that works with your counters.

I think a simple backsplash will keep a fresh look longer than anything else.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

However, I will add that regardless of cost, you will be looking at your bs for a long time to come, and with your other finishes, it sounds like you put a lot of effort into it...don't blow it on the final step because you are in a hurry.