Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheesharee

Update - Painted stair spindles

Sheeisback_GW
14 years ago

Been a busy little bee this weekend.

My current oak stairs were just ok in my eyes so I got brave and painted the spindles white. I haven't decided if I'm going to be brave and paint or stain the rest of the oak darker. I love the look but . .

Before

{{!gwi}}

After

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Most of the time spindles are wider at the bottom and skinny at the top. Mine happen to be skinny just in the middle. I think paint helped a little but it still didn't transform them into an elaborate set of stairs like I pictured. I've had three people (all wood lovers and especially oak lover) tell me I 'ruined them'. What do you think? Ha, There's not too much I can do at this point but I'm still curious. I don't really think they look proportioned or something. The newel should be beefier maybe. Did I make it worse?

Next I'll be dealing with that trim piece on the wall.

Comments (60)

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

The spindles look great. Nice job! I know the trim board between the two levels bothers you, but that's not the first time I have seen that treatment done. A girlfriend of mine has that in her older cottage home in Maine and it has given her the opportunity to treat the spaces with different wall treatments on each level. I wish I could find some pics to back up my claim, but can't seem to find any now. Maybe you could post some pics from another angle, say from the view looking up the stairs. I apologize if you already have posted them.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's one with spindles like yours:

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Stairs with white spindles

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ajsmama - I didn't even think about if they were glued or not! Think I'll just wait for now. I really think a beefier newel would look nicer. Maybe that's more off than the shape of the spindles.

Goldengirl - Here's a shot from both directions. Wall color is all the same even though it doesn't appear that way in the photos.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• ctlane
    14 years ago

I don't know if you addressed this before but have you thought of painting the trim that cuts the wall in half the same color as the wall so it would disappear.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Didn't MetroMom take hers apart to paint them? Some may be glued but not necessarily. You'd probably see some evidence of that if you look under the handrail where they're inserted.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ctlane - Yeah that's crossed my mind. That would be the quick fix. The problem was where everything butts up to the trim and tread. If I painted the whole thing solid it might look funny.
    {{!gwi}}
    I did consider stopping the paint on an angle but didn't know if that would look really bad IRL. What do you think?

Squirrel - Everything looks ok from the underneath so maybe they're not glued.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I see you've already been discussing the chair rail. Not quite understanding why that was installed. It's kind of distracting. Here's without the trim piece and the new spindles. The last pic is just your newel made to look larger. I didn't find a good one to try on.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• metromom
    14 years ago

funny that you asked about mine today squirrel...we just spent the last couple of hours working on putting it all back together...not there yet.

after it was all taken apart, my cousin came over and told me that you practically need an advanced degree to get it all back together...oops. But mine was wobbly anyway, so it needed to be done.

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

Shee-The additional pics helped jar my memory. My girlfriend's trim treatment is a bit "beefier". I think it's more like a 1X6 with additional trim on top, but it also corresponds to the size of the baseboard moldings throughout her house. Maybe this was the look the trim carpenter was going for?

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Squirrel -I agree it's distracting. It breaks the wall up too much. Apparently the wall was offset. Must've been bad or they were just lazy. We were never asked if we wanted that there. There was other stuff going on and we just left it go. I didn't understand what the problem was. They talked it up like this did us a wonderful favor by adding it. The stair riser doesn't end the whole way at the top. Ajsmama had some ideas for me to try I just didn't get there yet and I'm honestly dreading tearing that off the wall. DH said if I can do it myself basically I could do whatever but the problem is I'm not confident enough to mess with it. He thinks it's fine and not bothersome enough to change. My Dad has a bunch of other stuff going on and I don't want to ask him. I'm just mauling that one around still.
    Thanks for doing those mock ups!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stair thread

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

What do you think of the less chunky spindles?

• bepeace
    14 years ago

For what it's worth, I love an ebony stain with white painted stairs. I think its the perfect updated traditional look. Good luck!

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Squirrel - Wow I was really tired last night. I thought all those pics were the same! I like the skinny spindles and I do think the thicker newel makes a difference. I like it. When I was looking online last night I was surprised at such a price difference!

Anyone think I can get away with just painting that trim piece for now? The entire thing or stop the paint at an angle (closer to the trim) and leave the stuff to the right white, left the wall color.

Still thinking about stain or darker paint for the rest. I want Hoosiergirl's stairs. :)

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

Have you considered black wrought iron spindles? I see that a lot in new houses in my area. You could maybe paint the hand rail next to the wall black to coordinate.

My friend replaced her spindles and she said her hubby just cut them in the center and they came right out - no glue. I'm not sure about how you would get new ones back in there though. Do you have a builder friend you could ask?

• ctlane
    14 years ago

I would paint it the wall color and I think it would look better if the whole thing were painted. You could always paint it back to white if you didn't like it.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Here's the darker version, though it doesn't show a sheen. Just the original stain darkened.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I would think your builder could tell you whether they use glue during installation.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I think decorating is about having something different to look at....not necessarily a better look....so you did accomplish that. There are soooooooooooo many looks to try on....

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooo I like the dark railing and newel. Any chance you could please ps one of the treads dark and one with them white? I don't think I'd leave the bottom the natural oak because I'd have too much stuff going on. Also would you mind doing it with the pic of what what's currently there since I won't be changing it out right now?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Do you mean dark and white stair treads, like these? Will the dark blend with the rest of your house?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Just cover the rest of the white chair rail with your finger to get the effect of none there. (I'm wondering if by 'offset' it could be where two pieces of drywall meet where the whole seam is offset and really bad, so they covered it with trim.)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Squirrel you're going to cyber smack me. . . tread wasn't the right word. The wood piece at the top and the wood piece the spindles go into is what I was talking about. The stairs will have to stay carpeted for now.

And yes that's what I believe offset means. I'm going to call the site guy (builder won't know. long story) and see what the deal is. It may be too messy to deal with. Plus I already painted etc. and so forth.

So even though the trim will look 3 d still, think I should paint that entire piece the wall color like in your mock ups?

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the lovely close up shot (and Gizmo's piggers). Pretend we leave the trim piece on the wall. Will it look better to paint the entire thing to match the wall than leaving it white? Like I said, I was just worried about where it attaches to everything else.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Ugh, I can't believe I've got the base of those spindles half covered ¡size>

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Almost. . . can you paint also the other wood part at the top of the steps (the part that's still natural oak)??

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

I hope this doesn't come out wrong but nothing is going to turn that little bit of railing into an elaborate set of stairs no matter what you do. The stairs that you have are just not a focal point. Changing the spindles will be a very big effort for not a very big payoff. I think you are right on track with painting the existing ones white though, it looks great and ties in with your painted trim. IMO you should focus your efforts on other projects, unless this is the last thing in your house that is bugging you.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I'm concerned how the dark fits in with the rest of your house.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kgwlisa - I get what you mean. I'm aware that nothing will change it into an elaborate set of stairs. I actually think I might have mentioned that above? I thought it anyhow. lol Honestly it was important to me to change it up a bit because it was bugging me and you do see it when you walk in the front door. The spindles did enough change for now but I still prefer darker wood and just wanted to see the mock up. Maybe at a later point I'll be brave and stain or paint. But like you said, there are other things to be working on. This is also why I haven't called the builder yet to question the trim piece. I'm really just considering painting it the wall color for now and calling it a day.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Squirrel - Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. The dark in general? Out of those two pics I like the bottom one better I think but for now I'll step away from the paint or stain!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

You're welcome : ) Remember you can r-click on the images to save for future reference.

Yeah, I just mean if you house has the lighter oak going on, I'm wondering how the dark staining/painting fits in overall.

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

I like the last photo squirrel did. I think you'll be happy with the the white spindles and everything else stained.
    Get out the sandpaper and let the adventure begin.
    There is also a liquid stripper you can use as well with 0000 steel wool.
    I painted my spindles white a few years ago, (everything was stained dark) I agonized over doing it too...After I did it I wondered why I was so hesitant.

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

I just re-did our upstairs spindles in May. The rest we stained with a mix of minwax dark walnut and special walnut. Our stair rail at he bottom is the same. Rail and newel post are dark and spindles white.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Well -- of course -- I do think that the white spindles look wonderful!

And yes -- once again (LOL!) -- I vote for painting the rest into white too! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I think I'd prefer all white instead of two tone. IMO, the reason C&J's spindles in the above picture are so beautiful is because it's a great "architectural detail" to the room. Plus, it looks like the dark stain matches the other trim.

Unless you're going to put a dark stain on all your woodwork, I'd do the whole thing white.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Squirrel ...care to do one more ps for me? big :)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I was just finishing it up when I had to run out! Here ya go:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Squirrel! I like how you painted the trim piece the wall color. Helps me to see what that would look like.

I don't know what I think of the all white. My grandparents had a white stairs and I loved it but I'm uncertain about my short little section.

In the 2nd pic in this grouping could you paint the oak floor piece at the top of the steps white too?

Teacats and Oakley what do you think now?

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Aww thanks, Sheesharee!

Even though you really like the darker rails, it sounds like what you have now (or all white) would be better for your home. I like mixing woods, but it might be too much of a contrast for the rest of what you have going on. Ours works because the kitchen is very close to the stairway and the island is a dark wood, plus we have mainly dark woods nearby. Could you post pics of what else you see when you're viewing this railing?

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's some more shots. There is more dark wood in my house than the oak.
    Foyer
    {{!gwi}}

DR side (kitchen is on the right side. it's open)
    {{!gwi}}
    (i'm standing on the kitchen side with the oak cabinets) foyer is to the left and you see the chairs from the foyer entrance
    {{!gwi}}

LR this is standing in the hall. Foyer is to the right. DR is to the left
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

kitchen (I'm standing in the DR side to take this) this is the only oak that's in the house. Honestly, if I could redo it I wouldn't of picked oak. You can see it walking down the hall toward the LR if you look to the left at a certain point.
    {{!gwi}}

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

You know what, I'd go for it. It's the kitchen that's throwing it off. It doesn't really flow with the rest of what's going on. If you really like the dark bannister/white spindle look, I'd do it. Maybe down the line you could gel stain your cabinets to a darker color so that they would integrate more with the rest of your beautiful home. In the meantime, every time you'd look at your dark/white railing, your heart would sing!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I meant the house structure. Furnishings don't count ; )

I've never seen the top floorboard painted like that.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

If it were me, and white it is, I'd leave the handrails in the oak. I actually like the wall one in oak also. Usually? either the newel or top of the newel is also stained. Having the finial stained on your style doesn't look right, to me. You could maybe take/cut the round finial off and do something flatter.

I see I have the base painted in white in all the pics! I guess it looked alright to me, as I like it. They're often white around here.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I see, from your old thread, that is actually a trim piece at the top of the stairs. Don't think I've ever seen that.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I like the last pic (except get rid of the white rosette LOL, and I'd leave the part b/t the white stringer and the door all white, so paint the wall color on an angle following the stairs instead of straight up and down close to the door).

Working on my stairs today - just sanded the risers and stringer 2x (150 and 220 grit), vacuumed and wiped with naptha. Should be about dry - time to use the prestain conditioner and then have 15 minutes to decide whether to stain or just poly. I'm leaning towards just poly - I think that's all I did on the bottom riser and the DR side of stringer last year. Should have written it down but didn't think it would take me another year to finish the stairs.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gosh I'm sorry Artlover and Ctlane I missed your posts last night!

Artlover - I love wrought iron spindles and wish I would've done that. At this point though I'm probably going to pass on changing the spindles out.

Ctlane - You just mean the trim piece right? Not the rail, spindles, etc.? You're right I could just paint it back. I think I'll paint it this weekend. Won't take real long.

Squirrel - Once again thank you!
    "I see, from your old thread, that is actually a trim piece at the top of the stairs.." You mean that oak piece not the trim piece on the wall right? Oh probably not ("don't think I've ever seen that.") Anything seems to be possible and odd in my house! Notice a pattern? The thermostat... lol They never asked if I was ok with that either. Just added it and went on about how wonderful it looked like they did me some kind of favor (we weren't charged for that extra piece of oak). I now know it most likely had to do with a bad offset wall and lazy site guys.
    As far as house structure, I never fully understood that. I guess I do to a degree. I think I can pick out architecturally what doesn't fit most of the time but what IS ok and DOES fit into a 2008 ranch?

Ajsmama - I'll try the angled painted wall color on the trim first.
    Good luck with your stairs. I read your post yesterday and wanted to help but I don't know much at all about staining etc. (as you can tell from me threads) Did the weeping stop? I'll have to head over and look.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I meant that piece of oak trim at the top of the steps, angle cut into the piece under the spindles. (Not the chair rail thingy across the wall.)

I just mean, if your house has the oak cabs, floor and some woodwork as well (stairs) in a certain finish, then continuing in that same direction is what makes sense. You also have white woodwork, so you'd be adding a third finish to your house's wood/trim work by using a dark stain on the stairs. Think of it in terms of the house being empty, and as a whole. Does the dark stain fit in and flow or stand out as something that really doesn't go with the rest of the house?

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

I agree with Squirrelheaven to a degree. I don't think the woods have to match, but they do need to play nicely together (I can't think of how else to say it). Our wood floors are gunstock oak, but I like the contrast with the dark stair parts as well as the contrast between the floor and the dark maple cabinets. And your light cabinets seem like they would fight against the dark stair parts. BUT, I don't think you can discount the furnishings. When you walk into a furnished home you see it as a whole, not just the structure. So I do think you could get away with it since you have so many dark woods for the stairs to play off of. If you did stain your cabinets darker, the darker stair parts would tie in better, but I know that's a huge job and not something you might even want to think about (or even want to consider)!

There was another thread about good decorating books, and a book by Lynette Jennings was recommended. I bought it and loved reading every page of it. One of the things she advises is to do what you love. It's YOUR house, so decorate it the way that makes YOU happy. You don't have to play by any rules. I would stand back and look at your railing with your eyes squinted and imagine it the way you want it and take in the rest of your house with it painted that way. Does that feel right to you? If so, I'd do it!

Lynette had so many ways of saying the same thing. One was, "Decorating is fun when you take away the fear and the rules and develop confidence in your own decision-making ability." Another one was, "So stick to your instincts, don't be afraid of the result, and don't fall into measuring your natural selections against what appear to be the commandments of design." So go with your gut, Shee!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

You are so right, Hoosier. It's just a guideline I was trying to explain. Always break rules!! But it doesn't always work, there's a knack to it.

Your stairs are gorgeous and there's no need to match them to the floor. Shee's area is so small, I was just contemplating its effect, overall.

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

You're right that there is a knack to it, Squirrelheaven, and I didn't mean to sound like you were "dictating rules" at all! (Thanks for the compliment on our stairs, BTW.)

I just thought of a compromise, Shee. Maybe you don't want to consider this either, but it might be something to think about. Instead of painting them very dark, what would you think about gel staining them just a bit darker. I tend to like darker oak than lighter, and I think if it was just a bit darker (a couple shades maybe), it would still give you a little more elegance and yet also relate to the oak in the kitchen as it is now. Just throwing it out as another possibility...

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I get what you guys are saying now. It makes sense. I will look into that book Hoosiergirl. And gel stain, that was my original idea. Not sure how I waivered from that. Doesn't take much. ha. There's a bunch of clearcoats on the stairs though, would I need to sand it all off even for the gel stain? I originally saw Southern Hospitality's blog and I think she said she didn't even sand hers? She used a gel stain.

The kitchen cabinets, since they're still pretty new I'm going to leave them alone. It would be a lot of work and I'm not that brave yet. Someday when I tire of them I'm sure it wouldn't be as difficult for me to dive in. I really do wish I would've put an ounce of thought into my kitchen layout. *Sigh* Oh well! I was just like,"Let's build the house already!"