Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

X-post: unhappy with window trim - looking for input

carsonheim
9 years ago

Howdy!
Our framer has trimmed our windows and it looks horrid. Here's how they look:

and here's how I want them to look:

Approximately what size is the trim around this window? I believe what they have on mine is 1x4. Also, I think I will be purchasing pediments to put on the tops of the windows. Is that the best way to achieve this look or should the framers be able to fabricate something like that?

Thanks for your input!

Comments (11)

• amykath
    9 years ago

The first thing I notice are the windows in your inspiration pic are wood, it looks like yours are vinyl?

I am sure you could achieve a similar look, I would have them do that for you. I am sure it would look better and be less expensive.

Did you show them your photo of what you want?

I am sure others here will be much better at answering your question. That is just my take based on my very little knowledge of construction.

Good luck!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

That is a really bad trim job.
    Why on earth is the trim recessed and not proud of the siding?

You might x-post on the build a house forum...they would have some insights there too.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Did you show framer your inspiration photo? A picture speaks volumes that words sometimes cannot express.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

I would start by getting different framers. I can't believe they didn't consult with you first. I think you can achieve the look you want with a skilled carpenter fairly easy. You might have to add a little ledge on the bottom part of the window for run off.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Something like this should have a construction drawing and flashing detail. The trim detail you want isn't something that's made up as you go along, and I think that your inspiration picture has some potential issues as well.

It appears that the cornice piece is flashed properly: see how there is a slant to the top of it?

But the picture frame style trim around the bottom of the window leaves a seam on the flat part under the window and this is perfect for water infiltration. The bottom needs a sill. (or at least to be done differently than this).

The flashing of the top of the window needs to go Under the bottom of that piece of siding and over the top of the window. You can't just tack trim over the top.

I know someone whose trim was not flashed properly and it basically funneled water around the windows and into the walls of the house.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 9:16

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie -- I know, right???? WTF? Yes, I x-posted to the Building forum, but I know the Decorating forum has people with an excellent eye for detail, so I wanted to get input here as well :)

Mags -- I will give him that photo. Here's the window detail the architect prepared and is on our plans. Of course, to see it on the plans is kinda small, so they may not have looked at the level of detail. Lazy workmanship.

caminnc -- LOL! Can't really get rid of them now. The house is 95% framed. But I *can* insist they do a better job with the trim.

pal - are you saying the flashing is improperly installed on my windows? That it should be behind the top piece of trim (which needs to be redone anyway...)? Yes, I agree there needs to be some sort of sill. I am really surprised at how they did these and think they are okay.

Thanks very much for taking the time to chime in folks. I love this forum :)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I don't know if the flashing is installed correctly on your current trim, I can't really see it. But with a cornice-like top like your desired window has, the flashing is very important so that top piece doesn't rot or funnel water in around the window.

I think you need more of a window detail from the architect as well, to convey what you want.

The elevation drawing doesn't convey enough information. It shows line weight that indicates that the trim sticks out further than the siding but it could really be all flat millwork as drawn: it doesn't convey what you want in a number of ways, and there is nothing to indicate that it is actually an ogee-type crown or cornice on the header.

You really need a cross-section drawing from the architect.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm hoping he's not finished. Maybe that is just to get a flat surface against the ship lap so that he can put on the actual window trim?

• User
    9 years ago

That drawing looks like it is from a rendering, not a construction blueprint. Your window very well may have been built true to the construction drawings. If you have rough hewn siding (I can't tell from your picture) the more ornate window casings would be inappropriate. But flush windows do look insubstantial. Surely there is a happy medium between the two? It appears from your drawing that there was to be an applied cornice trim on top and what looks like a sill (but sort of applied as well, not really an integral part of the casing) and that the raison d'etre of the trim is to have something to which the shutters attach.

I'd have a sit down with the builder and come up with a mutually agreeable solution.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I'm with Errant.....I don't think your window is finished. I think they should or intend to put "woodwork" (for lack of a better word) over your window frame.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree with Pal: I'd be more concerned about the potential for water infiltration at the corners. The sill needs to be slanted and there should be an overhang, and proper flashing all around.

Here is a link that might be useful: proper window flashing