Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheesharee

Beadboard backsplash questions

Sheeisback_GW
9 years ago

Detail are important to me, but I also find them the most difficult. We're going to install beadboard paneling for a backsplash and it will be painted the wall color.

How should the corner look? Work from the corner out? Wrap it straight around from one side to the other? Will I need a piece of trim in the middle of the corner section?

What type of moulding should I use at the bottom? Looking at Lowes I saw 5/16" white shoe moulding and PVC exterior bead 1/2" x 13/32 x 8'. Either of those?

The only smaller trim I saw was 1/4" x 13/32" raw colonial moulding and I didn't think the wood would be best to use there?

What's the proper way to trim the edges/sides?

Thank you!

Comments (23)

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

I am chiming in to say that I have the same questions. I am so excited that we are having soapstone installed on Tuesday, but still haven't picked a backsplash. Love the look of bead board. Most of the kitchens I have seen show the bead board ending at an inside corner. Mine will end on an open wal and at the edges of unframed windows. How do you finish that? l. I like the look of a substantial "base board" at the bottom, but would wood rot? PVC look cheap/fake? Hoping we get some replies from some of you who have done this.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bump, bump.

Substantial base board at the bottom? Hmm... I'm going to look for more photos. I'm a little concerned with water around the sink, but I don't want a separate splash there.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Technicolor thanks for the info. I think I am going to go with PVC for the bottom for the reason you mentioned.

For the corner, could I just use caulk?

I found this thread the other night. It didn't scare me off the cleaning part but I might use a different kind of paint. I'll at least keep that in mind.

I'm adding the link because there are some clear photos showing trim along the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: bb link

• SweetTart
    9 years ago

Technicolor, I'm so glad to finally have found someone who used the PVC beadboard! I've been researching this product and think that it is what I want to got with-- for the waterproof element. I'm planning to install it using the PVC beadboard chair rail trim on the bottom-- the kind with the slot for the panels to sit in. And I thought that I would just use any sort of trim over the top edge-- nothing too large, as I plan to let the panels go all the way up to the bottom edge of my upper cabinets. Have you had any problem with contracting/shrinking of the PVC. I have read that you have to allow for that, but I am not sure *how* to do that.

Also, I am really considering using only nails for my install. I don't want to glue the panels to my walls--- just in case I ever want to do a different type of backsplash. Using glue for installing would most certainly ruin the sheetrock wall...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Painted beadboard backsplashes can have some maintenance issues. I think introducing an antique green into your kitchen would be great on the backsplash and the island.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

I installed wood paneled BB a couple years ago above the formica countertop backsplash in our kitchen. It has held up very well, and we are well satisfied with it. I painted it with the same cabinet paint that I used to paint all my kitchen cabinets that came highly recommended, made my Ace Hardware. ItâÂÂs been scrubbed whenever necessary, with no paint removal after scrubbing. If you want the name of the cabinet paint, just let me know. ItâÂÂs made specifically for kitchen cabinets, and can be colored. I matched it with BM White Dove.

I installed the same wood trim pieces both at the bottom along the formica, and at the top underneath the cabinets.

• SweetTart
    9 years ago

Nanny2a, I'd love to have the info on the paint! Also, did you use the small planks of bb or the big sheet-- and wood or mdf? And did you glue them to the wall or just attach with nails and the molding? My countertop is also formica and has a 4 inch formica backsplash, so my install would be very similar to yours. I have read so many people that have had problems with the bb separating at the seams over time, and that worries me a little, but yours looks great! Also, did you use bb behind the stove? Thanks!

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, what a lovely typo. First sentence:
    'Detail' are important to me. *smacks head*

I'm going to talk with our carpenter guy, but I really don't want to use glue if we don't have to.

Love seeing the photos and getting more info! Thank you everyone!

I'm going to have the splash removed on ours because it doesn't run behind the stove and our new stove won't have the high back.

I'm still not 100% what trim I want to use. I may use this one. I think the one I saw at Lowes like this was PVC.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Do you have to trim out the bb? I see some photos like this where it goes right to the countertop. I guess that doesn't seem smart in my situation near the sink.
    {{!gwi}}

I'm also not quite sure how high to have it stop at the ends. I suppose I would have to have trim along the top since the counters come out past the cabinets so the bb would be out past the cabinets, but do you stop it a few inches up or level with the edge of the upper cabinet door? I'm sure our carpenter will have an answer for that too.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

No, don't put it out past the cabinets. Run it right down from the corner of the cabinet, or just inside if you have a side light rail. Depending on the wall, you might be able to run it part way up the cabinets and trim the top edge with molding. Or run it to the ceiling, which is a nice look. Can you post pics of the two ending areas?

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Your photo shows the top trim I used for the bottom and top. It is not large, looks clean and simple. The very small trim available is a corner trim which I used under the cabinets and at the end of the run. Caulking could be done, but not sure if the look will be finished enough. I did caulk where each of the boards met for a better seal from water and of course the top/bottom of trim. All of my BB is nailed and worked fine for a flat install.

BB is a must to keep clean on a regular basis where most work is done in the kitchen, but then most any back splash requires such.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mayflowers - If I ran it along the cabinet, the counter would stick out past the bb. Here's the one side. The other side is the same mirrored.
    {{!gwi}}

So non of these?
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Also there's the sink area. Same question as to how far up to go with the bb and does the trim go above it or on top?
    Keeping it real ...
    {{!gwi}}

Technicolor - So you used the same trim as in the photos I posted above, right? Glad to hear yours was nailed.

Another poster here, years back, used a large tin tile behind the range, trimmed it out, and painted it the same color as her bb and it looked really nice. I may do something like that behind the stove area.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Correct, Shee, none of those. It's better to have a little space without backsplash at the counter than to have that weird jog that extends beyond the wall cabinet. You won't notice that the smidgen of counter is without, but your eye will go right to the wall, and not in a good way. That's how the Kitchens people have been advising everyone to do their BS.

If you look on Houzz, you'll see some examples of BB going up to the ceiling at the window, so you can see if you like that look.

I also wanted to suggest you use a wider base molding on the non-working side of your island to make it look more grounded and substantial. I might even look into framing the sides and backs with the same frame as around your door style to make it look more finished off. Might not work with the rounded stiles and rails of oak cabinets as it would with Shaker however. I would also use wood corbels instead of the metal shelf brackets, but chose a style that's more simple/cottagey in line with beadboard. For that same reason, I'd change out your island light fixture.

Can you tell I poured over your photos this morning? ;)

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

Some pics of the beadboard in my kitchen, it is real wood tounge/ groove made custom at a local mill with custom base trim.

I have stone behind the sink and a tall backguard on the range. I would not advise using any wood or mdf behind the sink, no matter how careful you are it will get wet and will become damaged. Also, we had to install outlet extenders because of the added depth of the beadboard, but ours is a half inch thick.

This post was edited by athomeinva on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 18:57

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I know I've mentioned the beadboard wallpaper several times on the forum, but here I go again. It looks very real, and with it being a vinyl material, should be easy to maintain. I've used in on the back of a hutch in my kitchen, as well as two vintage pieces I sold at the antique mall. It's paintable like the real stuff, but you would probably
    need an oil base since it's a non porous surface. It's a piece of cake. Just a heads up. ;)

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mayflowers - Wow. Good to know. Thank you!
    I'll look for those photos showing the bb to the ceiling, but I don't think I want to do that.
    For the island, that's something I've thought about for a long time too. The toe kick area is 4-1/2" and the current base is 3"something. I couldn't find trim that size. I don't know how to finish that area off.
    " I might even look into framing the sides and backs with the same frame as around your door style to make it look more finished off."
    I've love to do that, but don't know how I'd get it to match. The easy way, I thought, was add the same bb that will be on the splash.
    I agree about the corbels and am going to change them to something wood and simple. Maybe something like this. (link) Also would love to change out the lighting in this room and that's going to happen with the next round of things I tackle.

Athomeinva - Oh thank you so much for posting those photos. It looks really nice! Since mine will be paneling, I'm not sure what I'll do to finish off the side/edges. Maybe some type of chair moulding.

Geez, I really need to get a plan together.

So what's the right way to run the bb behind the refrigerator? Mine is in the middle of the cabinet run with cabinets & counter on the other side.
    Do you run the bb down past the counter and keep going with the trim the whole way across?
    Stop the bb at the counter and keep going with the trim?
    Stop the trim on each side leaving no trim in the space behind the fridge?

I know we're not really going to see anything back there, but how should it be done?

I am removing the microwave and running the bb to the top before the new one comes.

Pattycakes - I've used the bb wallpaper in my laundry room on the insides of the cabinets and loved it. I think it would be very hard for me with all the cuts to do a backsplash. Since we're having someone do this, it'll be easy peasy for him.

Here is a link that might be useful: possible corbels

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Osborne is one of the wood companies my cabinetmaker uses for legs and stuff. You can order their corbels in oak. Just click on the photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Osborne

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mayflowers - I'm actually planning to remove the paneling, add the same bb as the backsplash, and paint the island. I'm going to fill the oak wood to remove the grain before I paint too.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May - Had time to look at that site some more. Thanks for linking to it. There are a lot of nice corbels there!

How should the bb and trim go behind the refrigerator?

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I took the BB to the height that Athome did. Although I have a 6" wall where BB goes from there down to the floor (long cutting island there) and also another end run with a door about the same distance and I did the same thing.

Yes to going all the way behind fridge. Might as well, BB is fairly easy to do compared to tiling.

The other wall in my kitchen is going to be wall paper BB and lining the back of dish cabinets that have glass doors/sides.
    .I have a run of cabinets on two walls, but this one is with unfitted furniture. And I have had the wp far too long to take back. Hopefully it will look okay, if not can go to wood BB.

Cap off at the end of cabinets that Shee shared. A counter has a lip and doesn't need to be Back splashed all the way. And try a few trims, they aren't expensive.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok will go behind fridge. Since there are cabinets on the other side, should the trim continue straight across the back or stop at the counter on each side? I'm assuming stop at each side.

I'll go to the edge of the cabinet and not the counter. If I have to do something with the edges of the bb and used this style trim, could I do the side edges like this vs. how Athome did with her more flat/base style trim and edge? The countertop will still be sticking out past a little. I don't think I want to use trim on the upper part except at that little area by the sink.
    Pretend this is at the edge of the counter.
    {{!gwi}}
    Or this type doing the same thing.
    {{!gwi}}

I know trim is cheap, but I'm really trying not to go the route of bringing a bunch home because DH is growing weary already with all this.

I'm going to order stuff today. Our carpenter guy is coming next weekend.

• Route66Services
    9 years ago

I'm doing a BB backsplash too.
    HD carries some 4x8 MDF v-groove panels, but IMO it's pretty cheap looking.
    Does anyone know where you can buy "quality" v-groove BB in the Orlando area?
    I'd like to use PVC BB if such a product is available.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Route66 ~HD carries the PVC.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.lowes.com/pd_304525-1487-7718_0__?productId=3355464

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner