Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace before and after pics

Posted by tinan (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 0:02

Here was the fireplace before we did our fixing up and moved in. Note general filth, hideous plastic vertical blinds and mauvy-brown color.

During - after accent wall was painted but not main walls and ceiling, before flooring put in

And here it is now. Next steps are to re-center the art, paint the inside of the box with black BBQ paint (it is discolored from fires) put some decorative logs inside, and when budget allows replace the old screen doors with glass doors.

Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace before and after pics

That paint color & your accessories make the tiles look fresh again. Very nice!

o

Perfect! You did a greally good job. Love the mantel!

Is this a working FP? If so, why not put regular logs in it instead of fake ones?

o

You did a nice job, and that terra cotta paint color should draw the eye. Hope you are enjoying your new home!!

Red

o

Yes it is a working fireplace, but we live in California so the logs would be mostly decorative for most of the year. On days actually cold enough to want a fire, there is almost always a "spare the air" day and burning is banned! I am also very allergic to smoke which always makes its way inside even from a properly vented fire. So as much as I love the ambiance, it will probably only be lit for special occasions. I may burn some gel fuel cans in there behind the logs, too.

Thanks for the feedback :)

The color is BM Mexicana, BTW, with Mascarpone on the neutral walls. The tile I don't love it but it blends a bit more with the new paint color and the mantel. I am going for a Spanish Mission style since the townhouse is mission style with red tile roof and off white stucco exterior!

o

You did a great job; what an improvement. Love the horse with the wall color and tile - perfect!

o

Before, the fireplace seemed kind of lost in the corner. Now it really draws the eye and becomes a warm and lively focal point. You must be so happy with the change!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here