Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

If you have a king size bed...

pps7
13 years ago

What size pillows do you have? If you have king size pillows, is it easy to find king sized shams? It seems many of the shams I like only come in standard or Euro.

Please show me an easy and simple way to make a king size bed look nice. I've never had a king sized bed and I've never made my bed so this is all new to me :)

Comments (12)

• prairiedawnpam
    13 years ago

We have a king-sized bed. Its a necessity when you are sharing with kids or pets or both. I haven't had problems finding bedding and yes, we have king-sized pillows otherwise the standard ones look too small. Really, a king-sized bed is made the same way as a queen or double... you just buy all king-sized stuff... and more toss cushions if you use them.

...Pam

• covingtoncat
    13 years ago

King sized bed with pillows to match. Others are too small for me. Shams ARE hard to come by and limits choices, unless you have an open budget. Made the same as other sizes, no worries. Overstockdotcom and wholesale clubs are your friends (so I've been told), for good buys on linens. Do you have a deep mattress? When we got our new mattress, the old sheets weren't deep enough, so they pop off now and then. A pain, but .....

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

I can't sleep using a king size pillow, too large for me to scrunch. Doesn't matter that my (and DH's) standard pillows are underscale because they aren't seen. When I make the bed I hide the 2 pillows we actually sleep on behind 3 euro-shams which are purely decoration. And because I'm not a minimalist I like a 2nd row of pillows in front of the Euros in a different but coordinating fabric color & pattern. Those are 2 king pillows inside shams. AND if that's not enough I place a small pillow in front of those just because I don't think I have enough decorative pillows. :D

I bought all of my shams over 5 years ago, I wasn't aware that king shams have been obsolete. I am pretty sure I've seen them because I still look at sheets and often the shams are mixed in.

How you dress your bed depends on your decorating taste. My style could be outdated for all I know. Maybe you like contemporary and want a clean look with just the pillows you sleep on and nothing else. I can't imagine removing a pillow every night from its sham so you can use it to sleep on. Is that what you thinking of doing? Too much hassle. I've always used shams for decoration only.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

We have a king sized bed. I use 3 euros in back, 2 king and 2 standard.

I too find it difficult to sleep w/ a king pillow so I use my standard (the rest get piled on the floor at night).

I find king shams few and far between at places like TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I find a greater selection at Home Goods but still not as large a selection as standard.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I have a California King bed and have 8 6 pillows - 4 on DH's side and 4 on mine. We actually use 1 soft king-size pillow and 1 soft standard size pillow to sleep on and the firm standards as body pillows. The other 2 king pillows are used for the shams.

King-size pillow covers usually come with the king size sheet sets or if I'm buying sheets separately then the matching king size pillow cases are usually available.

Our king-size pillow shams came with the duvet cover. These are decorative only and at the foot of the bed at night (and during the day if I don't make the bed - but that's for another post!) When I do make the bed the sheet and duvet are folded down and the 3 sleeping pillows are stacked with the shams in front of them. It's not fancy but it works.

• megsy
    13 years ago

Three Euros, two king shams, two standard in front.

I found a quilt with matching king shams (quilt goes under our duvet and what we use at night; we fold duvet down at foot of bed).

I've shared this pic before ... but you need to imagine Euros up against headboard, brown quilted king shams, then standards in front:

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I have a European King Tempur-Pedic captain's pedestal bed. I don't like sleeping on big pillows, so I have standards (or what they call large Tempur-Pedic pillows) on mine. But whenever I make up my bed I throw a bunch of decor pillows on and it looks fine. You don't necessarily have to use king pillows. I have never had problems finding shams though, as I usually go for sets.

Megsy...your room looks really beautiful!!!

• athoele
    13 years ago

We have a Cal king. I have found that you can either use 2 king shams or also 3 standard shams and they fit on our bed about the same. Ive found that over the seasons of changing to new bedding that I cant find king shams and thats how I discovered that 3 standards can be just as beautiful. Enjoy your new king! We love ours and hate when we end up at a hotel with a queen :-)

• Meghane
    13 years ago

2 people and a husky in our king bed. We use king pillows and haven't found the sham thing to be an issue yet. My summer duvet had 2 king shams, but my winter comforter had 3 euro shams. I didn't like the shams or the bedskirt anyway so I got something that coordinated instead of matching. I used Domestications, HomeGoods, TX Maxx, Target, and Kohl's for my bedding.

• cheri127
    13 years ago

I can never find king shams for the bedding I like either. We have two king beds. One has 3 euros with shams, two kings with cases and a standard with sham. The other has two kings with cases, 3 standards with shams and one deco.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I have two king shams with the king pillows behind. Sometimes I also use three Euro pillows in back and a small pillow in the middle in the front. When it comes time to hunker down at night, I throw off everything and use a standard to sleep with. :)